Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MrMojoRisin'

I guess we'll find out!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/caleb-ewan-eyes-wins-in-all-three-grand-tours-in-2021/

Caleb Ewan going for green jersey in the tour this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭dublin49

if Ewan is going for green in TDF might suggest he won't finish either Giro or Vuelta. I wonder with Evenepoel back will Bennett's team be interested in going for Green again.Bennett might win more stages if he ignored green.For me stages are more prestigious than Green Jersey although not sure how its viewed in the sport,Perhaps Green Jersey trumps one stage but would it trump 2 or 3 stages wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

dublin49 wrote: »
    if Ewan is going for green in TDF might suggest he won't finish either Giro or Vuelta. I wonder with Evenepoel back will Bennett's team be interested in going for Green again.Bennett might win more stages if he ignored green.For me stages are more prestigious than Green Jersey although not sure how its viewed in the sport,Perhaps Green Jersey trumps one stage but would it trump 2 or 3 stages wins?

For Sam, the green jersey is the pinnacle and the goal each year now. Stage wins are like winning a run of the mill league game in the premier league. They are a step towards the finish which is the green jersey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

glad to hear.why do they not put a team member or two on Sams back wheel in final sprint to block Caleb or other sprinters getting onto to his wheel or is that not practical,

This was a valid criticism levelled at DQT many times over the year. Many more experienced commentators simply couldn't understand that they nailed everything else except this basic premise.

For Sam, the green jersey is the pinnacle and the goal each year now. Stage wins are like winning a run of the mill league game in the premier league. They are a step towards the finish which is the green jersey.

I think you are undervaluing the respect in which Grand tour stage wins are held. From just regular watchin I get the impression its a major deal for most riders and sprint stage wins are where Sam will be judged as an out and out sprinter.If he moves to a more "Kelly like"all round rider,competing for classics,hilly stages,etc Green jerseys become more important to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I think Milan San-Remo will be a big goal in Sam’s calendar this year. If he was to win a Monument as well as stages in all 3 Grand Tours, it really elevates his status

• Registered Users Posts: 24,663 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Milan San-Remo will be a big goal in Sam’s calendar this year. If he was to win a Monument as well as stages in all 3 Grand Tours, it really elevates his status

Not sure MSR is as much "the sprinters classic" as people make out especially with the riders out there at the moment who can attack and sprint.

A lot for Sam in terms of MSR depends on whether Ala is going too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A lot for Sam in terms of MSR depends on whether Ala is going too

Yeah, that is a good point

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think it may be one/ won and done with the green jersey. Stage wins should be the main focus. Very hard for a pure sprinter to compete with the likes of Sagan and WvA (if he's let) or MvP.

I'd love Sam to have more of a go at more of the cobbles in the spring though.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    This was a valid criticism levelled at DQT many times over the year. Many more experienced commentators simply couldn't understand that they nailed everything else except this basic premise.
    It's particularly irritating as it's a tactic they used against Sam when they DQS had Viviani in that Giro that they went head to head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think it may be one/ won and done with the green jersey. Stage wins should be the main focus. Very hard for a pure sprinter to compete with the likes of Sagan and WvA (if he's let) or MvP.

I'd love Sam to have more of a go at more of the cobbles in the spring though.

It's particularly irritating as it's a tactic they used against Sam when they DQS had Viviani in that Giro that they went head to head!

I'm vaguely considering spamming their twitter feed with this well intentioned piece of advice once they announce their tour team.

the danger for Sam is if he moves from pure sprinter to a classic type rider who can sprint he might get caught between 2 stools,no longer fully competitive in sprints and unable to get the additional stamina to be at the business end of Classics.The suspicion is from some of his victories that he might be able to make this transition but it is a risk and when its not broke....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

and when its not broke....

Exactly. He is capable of winning Grand Tour stages and there are almost no riders who can win the big tour sprints and classics at the same stages of their careers.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Exactly. He is capable of winning Grand Tour stages and there are almost no riders who can win the big tour sprints and classics at the same stages of their careers.

The other factor regarding one day classics for ex sprinters is the unwillingness of riders to work with you in a break or to chase down a break with you ,for you to easily mop them up in the sprint.I would imagine Kelly suffered from that more than most and makes his Classic wins even more laudable .

the danger for Sam is if he moves from pure sprinter to a classic type rider who can sprint he might get caught between 2 stools,no longer fully competitive in sprints and unable to get the additional stamina to be at the business end of Classics.The suspicion is from some of his victories that he might be able to make this transition but it is a risk and when its not broke....
    Kristoff is still winning classics and tour stages, but I take the point. But it wouldn't even necessarily be the stages he won that would make me think he could - I think it was the 2019 Brink Bank he only got dropped the final time up the Muur, and lasted way longer than the rest of the sprinters.

Just as a tangent, I think Cav could be the DQS wild card this year in some of the cobbled races.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Kristoff is still winning classics and tour stages, but I take the point. But it wouldn't even necessarily be the stages he won that would make me think he could - I think it was the 2019 Brink Bank he only got dropped the final time up the Muur, and lasted way longer than the rest of the sprinters.

Just as a tangent, I think Cav could be the DQS wild card this year in some of the cobbled races.

Cav wouldn't be a wildcard in the Ras never mind the cobbles in France and Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cav wouldn't be a wildcard in the Ras never mind the cobbles in France and Belgium

Didn't he do it in 2004? Finished 4th on the last stage, not too shabby.

buffalo wrote: »
    Didn't he do it in 2004? Finished 4th on the last stage, not too shabby.

You do realise that's 14 years ago : )
    I know he has plenty of wins in classics and semis but he is way beyond his best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So are a lot of riders that nick cobbled races.

Although with WVA and MVDP around I reckon the Belgian classics will be gobbled up for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What year is it again?

• Advertisement

As I said before, he made the front echelon in De Panne last year. Was taken out in a crash, it wasn't legs that did for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Please be so kind to take a moment to give Sam a vote for Sports star of the year.
    It would be fantastic to see him win it.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/sport-star-of-the-year-39961444.html?fbclid=IwAR1dlhJi1vRo20a1SxYfV1uhQAJNjyv09UlNJKnCrlOc-KStkTpCmLbqejE

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

LOL that's a gas ad. ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

jimm wrote: »

Its a disgrace if Sam does not win this. He's the outstanding nominee. Katie is a nominee annually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

JohnnyKq wrote: »
    Its a disgrace if Sam does not win this. He's the outstanding nominee. Katie is a nominee annually

She's an undefeated world champion.

no disgrace if he loses to her.

Disgraceful if he loses to Kilkenny now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

O.T. I know, but I think it's a disgrace that our Junior World Champion, Oisin O'Callaghan, didn't even get a nomination in the junior category.

Weepsie wrote: »
    She's an undefeated world champion.

no disgrace if he loses to her.

Disgraceful if he loses to Kilkenny now.

The GAA lads are certainly deserving but they have the All Stars and plenty of exposure so it would be nice to see one of the others get it
    Please god anyone but the jockey though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

The GAA lads are certainly deserving but they have the All Stars and plenty of exposure so it would be nice to see one of the others get it
    Please god anyone but the jockey though

How is the winner selected from the shortlist?

Advertisement