Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,072 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can everyone whinging about gender politics please F*** off to after hours and stop trying to ruin another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sam didn't win. Not the end of the world. Katie is one of the finest, most professional and most dominant athletes we have ever had in this country. Give her the credit she's due. We had a great year with Sam and I'm sure his Green Jersey means more to him than an award from RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭deandean

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Can everyone whinging about gender politics please F*** off to after hours and stop trying to ruin another thread
    Sam absolutely deserved the title IMO, based on his 2020 performance and his promotion of the sport, and this country.
    Would you care to offer your opinion as to why he didn't win?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Sam didn't win. Not the end of the world. Katie is one of the finest, most professional and most dominant athletes we have ever had in this country. Give her the credit she's due. We had a great year with Sam and I'm sure his Green Jersey means more to him than an award from RTÉ

I'm sure if you added up all the wins and trophies she is the greatest ever Irish sorts person on the international stage

And we have just had a cyclist win the young category and he isn't even a road racer which is phenomenal. Was sure one of the more well known sports would win it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

Shocking decision. Katie is a great athlete but no where near the achievement of Sam this year. Katie won a couple of fights again last year because there is no one serious to challenge her. Sam had to fight his way through a crowded field of outstanding athletes and competitors to claim the top prize for sprinters.

Totally and absolutely decided on the basis of gender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

The great thing is that Sam Bennett surely won't care a hoot about any of this. If ye are waiting for RTE to cover cycling in any serious way.....

The great thing is that Sam Bennett surely won't care a hoot about any of this. If ye are waiting for RTE to cover cycling in any serious way.....

Absolutely won't mind at all. I'm sure he is probably a fan of Katie himself anyway like most of the rest of the country.

As for RTE never mind covering cycling it would be a win if they could report some of his races outside the tours and also stop looking disappointed when he doesn't win the stages up Tourmalet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus H Christ can the sexist gender quota bullshyte fcuk off? Sam had a fantastic year and the green jersey to top it all off is brilliant, but he has not achieved anywhere near the success Katie Taylor has, no where near.
    She deserves every bit of it.

It's AMAZING that Oisín won, thoroughly well deserved. Stunning achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

eeeee wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ can the sexist gender quota bullshyte fcuk off? Sam had a fantastic year and the green jersey to top it all off is brilliant, but he has not achieved anywhere near the success Katie Taylor has, no where near.

It's AMAZING that Oiswon, thoroughly well deserved. Stunning achievement.

The award is for 2020. Sam had a better year than Katie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Gender has nothing to do with it. If this were a male boxer it would be the same decision. Professional Boxing has always been held in high esteem (you could argue why it is so) and we have a world champion boxer who has defende the title twice in 2020.

Regardless of the depth of her division, Taylor can only beat who is in front of her. Consider if the England womens team won the soccer World Cup. It would be the exact same achievement as the men's team in 1966. It's doesn't matter if the technical aspect wasn't the same or the attendances are lower, or there are less people watching on TV... that's beside the point. The England women's team and Katie Taylor are performing to the very best of their ability as female athletes. Men and women are equal, so their accomplishments should be treated equally as so.

If someone has any issue with the above paragragraph, then they need to have a reset on what they believe about gender equality.

Here endeth the lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Shur Sam only finished 287th and was 18hours back in the TDF, how would he win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Morris Garren

What did poor Jesus do on you???? Leave HIM out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭deandean

Great to see Oisin's award.
    Sam has been on the RTE Sports Awards shortlist 2 years in a row. Best wishes to him for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭touts

Well if we're talking about lifetime success let's just give the award to Katie every year for the next 50 years running and be done with it.

Sam was the best Irish Sports achievement of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Having watched pretty much every race sam participated in 2020 and both of Katie's fights in 2020....I honestly don't believe there's a realistic argument to be made for her having had a better sporting year than Sam and I genuinely think a judge would have a tough time explaining their decision if that was the only criteria on which it was judged... That said, she's a massive star and a great ambassador for the sport so that may have been played a part in the selection process.

happytramp wrote: »
    Having watched pretty much every race sam participated in 2020 and both of Katie's fights in 2020....I honestly don't believe there's a realistic argument to be made for her having had a better sporting year than Sam and I genuinely think a judge would have a tough time explaining their decision if that was the only criteria on which it was judged... That said, she's a massive star and a great ambassador for the sport so that may have been played a part in the selection process.

She has only won it once back in 2012 after the Olympics and never when she was hovering up world titles and almost single handedly turn women's boxing into a serious sport. I know it's supposed to be about 2020 but these things sometimes come into play in votes.
    Like how the Oscars held of on the first 2 Lord of the Rings then threw every trophy going at the last one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Why did RTE have a photo of Remi Cavagna instead of Sam?? I personally think Sam should have won, but Katie is a a good pick too if it had to be someone else. A shambles from RTE though to not even know his picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

women. making up 51% of our population and taking the 8th out of 38 sportsperson of the year awards. the cheek.
    interesting to note that only three women have won the award, but 26 men have. but yeah, it's a conspiracy against men.

She has only won it once back in 2012 after the Olympics and never when she was hovering up world titles and almost single handedly turn women's boxing into a serious sport. I know it's supposed to be about 2020 but these things sometimes come into play in votes.
    Like how the Oscars held of on the first 2 Lord of the Rings then threw every trophy going at the last one

This is it basically..... Hard to begrudge her really, Just wish the serrano fight had been able to go ahead as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not only did he not win, RTE dont know who he is so used a photo of Remi Cavagna

https://twitter.com/ianoriordan/status/1354927236768522246

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »

I wouldn't be able to make a call like that because I know only the basics of boxing, hardly watched any football this year, know nothing about rowing and don't even consider horse riders to be athletes.

I know Sam was amazing this year but have no way of comparing him to anyone except Hegarty who won the team award which is more fitting for him anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lest i have nailed my colours to the mast, i don't take these things seriously. it's like awarding the mercury music prize based on record sales.

and i don't think boxing is a sport.

lest i have nailed my colours to the mast, i don't take these things seriously. it's like awarding the mercury music prize based on record sales.

and i don't think boxing is a sport.

Post this in the boxing thread for the laugh.

retalivity wrote: »
    Not only did he not win, RTE dont know who he is so used a photo of Remi Cavagna

https://mobile.twitter.com/ianoriordan/status/1354927236768522246

Spent half of last year in the Irish champs kit and half a tour in green so even if it was the right rider it's still pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

touts wrote: »

In your opinion! And mine too TBF, based on his results and the other criteria RTE set out in their selection of the nominees, such as impact and legacy etc.

But people have to accept that someone can win an award based on their performances and not on their gender. The RTE panel believe that her continued title defences were of greater merit than Sam Bennetts first green jersey.
    If Bennet wins green again this year and Taylor does similar in her title defences, then I would expect Sam to win the award. If Taylor wins the award again, it still doesn't mean there is a gender bias — its likely there is a sporting bias i.e. Boxing > Cycling.

And RTE are well known for their sporting bias over the years!

happytramp wrote: »
    Post this in the boxing thread for the laugh.
    i may be drunk, but i'm not stupid.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    In your opinion! And mine too TBF, based on his results and the other criteria RTE set out in their selection of the nominees, such as impact and legacy etc.

But people have to accept that someone can win an award based on their performances and not on their gender. The RTE panel believe that her continued title defences were of greater merit than Sam Bennetts first green jersey.
    If Bennet wins green again this year and Taylor does similar in her title defences, then I would expect Sam to win the award. If Taylor wins the award again, it still doesn't mean there is a gender bias — its likely there is a sporting bias i.e. Boxing > Cycling.

And RTE are well known for their sporting bias over the years!

If Sam does the same again in 2021 and Katie does even better than this year I bet Sam still wins it cause judges will want to balance it out.

I'm just glad all this gender stuff is distracting for RTEs clear attempts at "positive discrimination" by giving Limerick 3 out of 4 awards tonight

I ... don't even consider horse riders to be athletes.
    to throw my oar in again on stuff i know little about, i would agree with you on horse racing, but not on other horse sports. horse racing is about the horse, but jumping and dressage is about the horse and rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

retalivity wrote: »

https://twitter.com/ianoriordan/status/1354927236768522246

That photo almost single handedly justifies my decision not to pay a license fee since some time in the 90s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

to throw my oar in again on stuff i know little about, i would agree with you on horse racing, but not on other horse sports. horse racing is about the horse, but jumping and dressage is about the horse and rider.

I know a good bit about it and horse racing is one of the most skilled, toughest sports out there.
    Jockeys can show jump, event, dressage etc (and do) but showjumpers, event riders etc can't race. You get some exceptions, but they're veet much the exception.
    Jockeys are pound for pound the most skilled, fittest and strongest athletes out there in my opinion. If you've never ridden work or are only familiar with non racehorse riding it's hard to imagine how difficult it is but it requires a savage amount of skill, strength and fitness.
    It's not an inanimate object you're dealing with, or another human you can talk to, but half a tonne of hyper fit thoroughbred jumping 6 x 5 foot fences between 35 and 40mph with only your lowerleg in contact on a barely there saddle in a bunch, add all the horsemanship to the tactics you need to race, it's a whole other level. Your body is on the line every second of it too.

All elite sports require savage skill, strength and fitness, without exception! Some require more of certain ones than others, but at elite levels no one is taking or having it handy.

It would have been lovely for Sam to win, he's achieved a lot but it doesn't compare to what Katie has achieved in her career or what she's done for women's boxing imo.

Advertisement