Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyKq

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The GAA lads are certainly deserving but they have the All Stars and plenty of exposure so it would be nice to see one of the others get it
    Please god anyone but the jockey though

Katie Taylor is excellent and has received the award in 2012.
    Time for a minority sportsperson to win this year. God knows we need some heroine during our 5K cycle restriction area these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What about Conor McGregor, he seems like a nice lad, great ambassador for his sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

This on tonight or tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Raymzor

bazermc wrote: »
    This on tonight or tomorrow night?

It’s advertised for 10.15pm rte1 Thursday 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Weepsie wrote: »
    She's an undefeated world champion.

no disgrace if he loses to her.

Disgraceful if he loses to Kilkenny now.

She's not had a big year by her standard. Two fights, one of which was a mandatory against an opponent several steps below her... As much as I like katie Sam had a much bigger 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Would Puspure be considered to have had a career defining season like Sam had ?

I know absolutely nothing about rowing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Eamonnator wrote: »
    O.T. I know, but I think it's a disgrace that our Junior World Champion, Oisin O'Callaghan, didn't even get a nomination in the junior category.

Oisin is nominated

http://twitter.com/rtesport/status/1352993416171368449?s=21

Could be either a double for the cyclists or a double for Limerick.

Happy days either way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really surprised Katies fight was such a big moment over the year. I'm living in Bray and while it got a mention, it certainly wasn't as big news as it has been in recent years. Maybe it was more subdued due to Covid but normally the comments online are in the hundreds locally. That said, I imagine alot of these polls, of their 1000 random responders, a good few might not even be sports people at all. It may be shocking to some but a large percentage of the population have no real interest in sport past the highlight reel on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Really surprised Katies fight was such a big moment over the year.
    It was FTA on YouTube this time, not behind a pay wall.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It was FTA on YouTube this time, not behind a pay wall.

Still didnt seem that big a hype though but she is so big now though that she is probably below only the soccer and rugby teams in national appeal.
    Outside of the Olympics they are untouchable

Still didnt seem that big a hype though but she is so big now though that she is probably below only the soccer and rugby teams in national appeal.
    Outside of the Olympics they are untouchable
    It was enough it made it on in our house, and it wasn't me driving that as I'm not a boxing fan. Enough interest from the women in my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think of all the years that Katie has been nominated, perhaps 2020 is the year she least deserves to win? She only had one proper fight*, and it was against an opponent that she had already beaten (albeit controversially), and it was a title defence (whereas winning a title is more of a headline grabber).

Sam's achievements in 2020 far outweigh Katie's in my opinion.

*The fight against Gutierrez really doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Would Puspure be considered to have had a career defining season like Sam had ?

I know absolutely nothing about rowing

She won a European title. The past 2 years she won a world title, so not really a career defining season. She is by far the best single sculler on the planet though, so I've no issue with her winning it.

I still think Sam deserves to win it though.

Just to be clear, Sam was the bigger achievement, just that I think Taylor's fights weren't as low key to the general public as was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Dare I say it...I wonder if there has been influence applied that a female should win, regardess of who the best sportsperson of the year is?
    I feel that there has been a bias in this direction over the past year or two - no disrespect meant to any of the contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

deandean wrote: »
    Dare I say it...I wonder if there has been influence applied that a female should win, regardess of who the best sportsperson of the year is?
    I feel that there has been a bias in this direction over the past year or two - no disrespect meant to any of the contenders.

More female nominess to reach parity with male nominess, but no, no bias towards females winning the award. Taylor is a world champion and likely winner tonight.

My vote is for Sam and the extra eyes he brought to the sport of cycling.

BTW, If Bennett interviewed tonight, it might be the most we get to see of him for a good while, with the likelihood of more races cancelled or postponed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Go on Oisin

• Advertisement

Two cyclists winning in one night?

Unlikely, but fair play to Oisin on his recognition.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Go on Oisin

I can't believe he got it. Jumped of the couch when he got it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone got Sam’s number? Call him on zoom and if he’s already on a call, we know he’s won! 😂

Delighted for Oisin, certainly talks the talk and walks the walk rides the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

That's shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

neris wrote: »
    That's shocking

Robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Gender bolloxology or they just went for the higher profile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

For.Fux.Sake.