Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

eeeee wrote: »
    It would have been lovely for Sam to win, he's achieved a lot but it doesn't compare to what Katie has achieved in her career or what she's done for women's boxing imo.

Katie's Career is amazing and she's earned every one of her wins and previous awards. I've no doubt she'll achieve even more in the future. BUT the award last night was for 2020 (or at least if should have been) only.

Clearly the judges took her previous achievements into account which IMO was wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    I know a good bit about it and horse racing is one of the most skilled, toughest sports out there.
    ah, allow me my uninformed prejudices. i just don't like horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Looks like Sam will probably have to win the Tour de France to lift the RTE trophy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Irish Times: RTÉ’s Sam Bennett faux pas adds insult to imagery
    A case of mistaken identity as Bennett, arguably, robbed at the RTÉ Sportsperson of the Year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Looks like Sam will probably have to win the Tour de France to lift the RTE trophy.

Thats great, and RTE will remind us every day of his position on GC just so that we can keep up.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Terrible decision and daylight robbery. Taylor did little in 2020 and certainly nothing to merit an award.

Bennett won a jersey in the TdeF FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

Irish Times: RTɒs Sam Bennett faux pas adds insult to imagery
    A case of mistaken identity as Bennett, arguably, robbed at the RTÉ Sportsperson of the Year

That's almost impressively inept, you'd think that up-to-date knowledge of sport would be a prerequisite for a tv sports department. It's not like much went into that show last night - all they did was set up 4 video calls, 4 sets of highlights reels and 4 sets of photos and they couldn't even do that right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Given the event was pre-recorded (two days in advance), the mistaken image of Cavagna might have been spotted by someone who knew Bennett usually has a tricolour displayed on his jersey, as Irish road champion from 2019, but instead it was shown again before presenting their Sportsperson of the Year
    i assume he means it was also used as an on-screen photo, not just as a backdrop to the presenters?
    weird choice of image anyway, even if it had been of him; why use a photo of someone who is masked?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But you didn't mind polluting the Sean Kelly thread with your views about his alleged (in your mind) sexism.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115247807&postcount=64

Ridiculous decision last night.

So can the Politically Correct bullshyte also, as you might put it... fcuk off ?

You've both misread the room and misread the meaning of the post.

A great big whoosh to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People have their own biases. To claim that awarding a world champion the award is based on gender is laughable.

They could've given the Dublin women team of the year if it was about gender, or Kilkenny camogie. Like if it was about gender balance and that alone they'd not have what over 80% of the nominations to males.

You know, being the most watched female boxer of all time and something of a national icon for many will have likely done more.

Lots of very casual spots fan watch Katie Taylor fights, not many casual sports fans watch cycling , tour de France excepted and the meaning of the green jersey is lost on them entirely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did Katie deserve it, on merit for 2020, probably not but it's not on merit alone, it is more a popularity contest more like the BBC personality award. While I think Sam should have won, I guarantee you that every one who has a favoured sport thought there sport should have won. Take all that away, I can find reasons for all of them not to win. You'd all call me a prick but I could certainly find some justification. Katie is better known and in the year where **** all happened for most of us, in the public eye, she's probably still the best known.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sadly, yes, it is a popularity contest at the end of the day. Katie a 'safe' choice (careful now RTE) but totally agree, based purely on 2020 achievements, perhaps not the decision best reflecting current sporting prowess.

Either a yellow or a string of greens in the world's premier endurance sporting event *might* be enough to get within touching distance of the gong for Sam in the future.....if the Gammon Bonce community don't look at a way to nab him as one of their own (they'll try!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

That photo almost single handedly justifies my decision not to pay a license fee since some time in the 90s

Don’t worry, the rest of us are paying it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

What would you have to type into Google to get an image of Remi Cavagna when you were ostensibly looking for a picture of Sam Bennett on the podium in Paris?

I think either RTE wouldn't pay for an image to use on air and hoped no one would notice the difference, or someone in RTE's graphics department was being a bit naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

velo.2010 wrote: »
    What would you have to type into Google to get an image of Remi Cavagna when you were ostensibly looking for a picture of Sam Bennett on the podium in Paris?

I think either RTE wouldn't pay for an image to use on air and hoped no one would notice the difference, or someone in RTE's graphics department was being a bit naughty.

You would just have to pick the miscaptioned photo from Getty images:

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/team-deceunincks-irish-rider-sam-bennett-poses-on-the-news-photo/1229534356?adppopup=true

edit: this doesn't excuse RTÉ's massive error, but at least they can explain it.

buffalo wrote: »
    You would just have to pick the miscaptioned photo from Getty images:

https://www.gettyimages.ie/detail/news-photo/team-deceunincks-irish-rider-sam-bennett-poses-on-the-news-photo/1229534356?adppopup=true

edit: this doesn't excuse RTÉ's massive error, but at least they can explain it.

€475 for a print! :eek:

If you click the "Sam Bennett Photos" button:
    https://www.gettyimages.ie/photos/sam-bennett-cyclist-photos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^
    Yep, thats it then.

I suppose a graphics person doesn't necessarily have to be a sports/cycling nut to do the job and notice the Getty discrepancy. However, someone should still have noticed, given the show was recorded a couple of days in advance.

I'm sure Sam would get a good laugh out of it!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    €475 for a print! :eek:

They have to be priced to sell to the rider themselves surely? Nobody in their right mind would pay that otherwise. On the podium at a major international sporting event, sure you'd like to have that on the wall I guess but then there would be team staff taking pictures too you could get for free.

They have to be priced to sell to the rider themselves surely? Nobody in their right mind would pay that otherwise. On the podium at a major international sporting event, sure you'd like to have that on the wall I guess but then there would be team staff taking pictures too you could get for free.

Yeah but it's not a photo of Sam Bennett.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yeah but it's not a photo of Sam Bennett.

And going through the options for the rights I can see RTE likely paid €142 to use the image that isn't of Sam for 5 years (minimum duration).

Lets see if they get their money's worth out of it if Sam features on their news content this year :D

• Advertisement

^^^

I'm sure Sam would get a good laugh out of it!

I'm not sure he would. He is a highly professional, extremely talented world class cyclist. His brand, image and integrity has been tainted and ridiculed by a bunch of amateurish, incompetent, complacent and indolent "public service" broadcasters who messed up badly.

Its begs the question as to how the "expert committee" could have executed fair due diligence on the evaluation of the candidates when they couldn't even find the right photo.

No wonder they make jokes about us.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm not sure he would. He is a highly professional, extremely talented world class cyclist. His brand, image and integrity has been tainted and ridiculed by a bunch of amateurish, incompetent, complacent and indolent "public service" broadcasters who messed up badly.

Its begs the question as to how the "expert committee" could have executed fair due diligence on the evaluation of the candidates when they couldn't even find the right photo.

No wonder they make jokes about us.:(

You must have an absolute breakdown if someone says a bad word to you if a picture causes this much hurt.

The expert committee dont do the graphics or pick the photos and who is "they" and "us"

His brand, image and integrity has been tainted and ridiculed by a bunch of amateurish, incompetent, complacent and indolent "public service" broadcasters who messed up badly.
    uhm. someone just used the wrong photo. it's embarrassing (and kinda funny), but to suggest his brand and image have been tainted and ridiculed is kinda overdramatic.

anyway, there were two mistakes made here; if this image was chosen by a graphics person in good faith (and it's seemingly clear now how the mistake was made), it's a poor choice of image anyway. there's no context in the photo that it was a podium shot, and with a mask on, it's a poor portrait regardless.

the second mistake was that it was not spotted before broadcast; but that is possibly understandable if the video editor is sitting at home and not in a room in donnybrook where the producer etc. has easy access to him to check up on progress.

i'd say bennett willl either find it funny or brush it off. his goal in life is not to be RTE sportsperson of the year.

again, if you assume it's the job of the expert committee to source the photos for broadcast of the athletes they are considering, you might be mistaken.

again, if you assume it's the job of the expert committee to source the photos for broadcast of the athletes they are considering, you might be mistaken.

I wasn't and it was more a reflection on the quality of the overall process.

These people are supposed to be professionals and are paid accordingly (with public funds). It is not unreasonable therefore to expect professional results.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think it's very disrespectful thing to do. These kind of programmes are a bit of a nonsense half of the time but this is just shows lack of respect for the achievements of sports people they are supposed to celebrate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i'd say bennett willl either find it funny or brush it off. his goal in life is not to be RTE sportsperson of the year.

I don't think it is the goal of any high level sportsperson to be blunt. It is nice, helps with the image and selling yourself as part of the business but it means more to certain sports than it would to others. Katie didn't even seem that bothered by it. Same for Sam, would have liked it but in the grand scheme of things, it would mean a lot more to a semi pro/amateur GAA player who will get interviews, called in for paid gigs on radio in the future and will actually be up there in the top 10 things sporting wise they will achieve. I imagine to the youth nominees, it is huge, as this is a huge recognition of your achievements at a national level but at a senior pro level, your achievements are already lauded in your area.

Out of the nominees, here is my BS opinion on it, based solely on sports I know sweet FA about:
    -jockey Colin Keane - means a lot if he wants interviews with OTB and a gig with RTE in the future, a nice recognition but probably doesn't care too much. Depends more on what he wants to do afterwards.
    - Dublin footballer Ciaran Kilkenny, Limerick hurler Gearoid Hegarty - Means a huge amount for any GAA player although I imagine they would prefer an All Star, it certainly could contribute to career after retirement.
    - boxer Katie Taylor -good for her brand, nice acknowledgement but not even close to the top 10 of things she will remember in the future and possibly wouldn't have cared if she didn't get it.
    - cyclist Sam Bennett - good for his brand at home but much like Katie, unless it all goes arse over tit in the future, it really won't be a big thing
    - rower Sanita Puspure - would have been great as possibly the most minority of sports including exposure over a quiet year. She has had better years but would have meant a lot in terms of national recognition as probably the most under advertised sports (and that says a lot with Cycling in there). Good for her post career getting call ups to commentate on the Olympics, euros, OTB and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think it's very disrespectful thing to do. These kind of programmes are a bit of a nonsense half of the time but this is just shows lack of respect for the achievements of sports people they are supposed to celebrate.

Its a sports award that has been won by 8 different golfers so I wouldnt waste too much time taking it seriously

anyway, insisting that the winner of this award being the person who has achieved most sporting success in the year is kinda akin to insisting that the winner of the mercury music prize be the person who sold most records/downloads/streams in the year.
    it'd just be a box ticking exercise with no meaning.

it'd be more interesting and meaningful to award it to someone the public haven't heard of. someone who busts their ass at an amateur level, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Some junior staff member was probably told "Go get a photo of that Irish cyclist, watshisname from Deceuninck–Quick-Step". Quick Google search and up pops Remi Cavagna. Junior thinks "hmm...Kavanagh? close enough".

Reminds me of the time Contador won the tour and the Danish national anthem was played at the prize ceremony!!

Advertisement