Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If they took him to the line we would all be annoyed that Ewan once again sucked his wheel and jumped him so getting behind Ewan was ok in theory it just didn't work out

I'm really hoping DQS employ all their tricks to keep Ackermann et al off his wheel at the Vuelta... They were far too nice to ewan in the Tour in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm wondering about Bennett's condition for the Vuelta actually. He said after the Tour that the effects of a GT don't hit him until a week or 2 later and I think he went harder in the Tour than he's ever had to do previously in a GT. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's full of beans for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm wondering about Bennett's condition for the Vuelta actually. He said after the Tour that the effects of a GT don't hit him until a week or 2 later and I think he went harder in the Tour than he's ever had to do previously in a GT. Hopefully I'm wrong and he's full of beans for it :)

The tour is different to the rest though. Every team has all it stop riders involved and every day is full gas for win, breaks and all the jerseys but the Vuelta won't have that stress in every stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Quick Step made a mess of it, hit the front way to early, think it was over 1k to go and they only had 2 men in front of Sam, they should have known to back off a little.

Then he lost Morkov as he was squeezed, tried to move up on left but it seemed to close a bit.

Morkov galloped on right and looked around in vain.

Sam backed off then.

That's what I remember anyway your honour.

I don't think Morkov was even in the race :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Correct, and Archibald was a DNA too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Dodge wrote: »
    Correct, and Archibald was a DNA too

Ahh, that might be why Sam didn't stick with his lead out's wheel (who I also presumed was Morkov). Maybe he didn't trust him like he would Morkov.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

DQS have named Arcbold and Morkov In the team for the Vuelta. Sams two top lead out men, looking forward to this one getting going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

He's 30 today :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

DQS have named Arcbold and Morkov In the team for the Vuelta. Sams two top lead out men, looking forward to this one getting going.

I love Morkov he's great for getting you to the line and he's such a slimy bugger for blocking the road after too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

About 10 minutes into the DQS Tour documentary, there's a shot of the balding Morkov sitting down to dinner with the rest of the riders. He looks like the single uncle who's been seated at the kids table at a wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

The tour is different to the rest though. Every team has all it stop riders involved and every day is full gas for win, breaks and all the jerseys but the Vuelta won't have that stress in every stage

Will there not be a lot of guys And their teams out there trying to prove a point or seek an improvement from whatever happened to them at the TDF ? Guys who are 50/50 about getting new contract renewals now or later next year ?

I don’t get to see a lot of the Vuelta as I do with TDF or even the Giro, so its a genuine question rather than any attempt to challenge your informed opinion .

Will there not be a lot of guys And their teams out there trying to prove a point or seek an improvement from whatever happened to them at the TDF ? Guys who are 50/50 about getting new contract renewals now or later next year ?

I don’t get to see a lot of the Vuelta as I do with TDF or even the Giro, so its a genuine question rather than any attempt to challenge your informed opinion .

You are correct about riders wanting to prove a point after a disappointing Tour and trying to get a contract, but even still the Vuelta (and the Giro) is always more relaxed. The tempo in the peloton can be quite slow until the final third or quarter of the stage and the invited Pro-Continental teams generally make up the majority of the breakaway group.

It's not about whether they want to or not but that the teams are not strong enough and if anyone tried those mad full stage team efforts like Bora did the whole team would be wrecked half way to the finish.

Look at the Giro now no team is able to ride it's leader up the mountain the way Jumbo did in the TdF

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I just assumed it was Morkov as the last lead out man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

so, cav as a potential lead out man for bennett?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

lennymc wrote: »

It seems an odd choice. Cav doesn't have his explosiveness anymore and doesn't have the engine to supplant the likes of Morkov. Neither has he evolved into another Oscar Freire.
    Maybe they see his role as some type of "pilot fish" to guide Bennet through the 600-300m to go section where Sam sometimes seems to get a little lost / leaned upon? Problem there is that its been a long while since Cav has been reliably been able to get to the finish in that position.

Some type of sprint coach role perhaps?

lennymc wrote: »

If DQS sign him it'll be for free for the publicity he still brings.

He won't be let anywhere near Sam's sprint train as he is barely good enough to make to the line with the bunch these days

Odd one indeed. Immediately I thought no way Patrick would pay what Cav is currently on which I assume is a decent chunk and then saw this on Cycling News

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-indicate-interest-in-signing-mark-cavendish/
    "It's no secret that he would like to return to our squad – free, or free in a manner of speaking," Lefevere wrote, implying that perhaps Cavendish had offered his services for free while potentially still benefiting from personal sponsors.

At this stage he needs a team more than any team need him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If DQS sign him it'll be for free for the publicity he still brings.

He won't be let anywhere near Sam's sprint train as he is barely good enough to make to the line with the bunch these days

Totally just a goodwill gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Odd one indeed. Immediately I thought no way Patrick would pay what Cav is currently on which I assume is a decent chunk and then saw this on Cycling News

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deceuninck-quickstep-indicate-interest-in-signing-mark-cavendish/

At this stage he needs a team more than any team need him really.

thats what occurred to me when I saw this story. He was once a poster-child for Specialized. I wonder if it's them who want him back and will pay his salary, as they do with Sagan.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    thats what occurred to me when I saw this story. He was once a poster-child for Specialized. I wonder if it's them who want him back and will pay his salary, as they do with Sagan.

He would still be a big draw advertising wise in the UK and if you can keep him round long enough to do Tour of Britain and London 6 day next year he might be worth a tiny salary.

But ide say this is nothing more than rumours as DQS won't waste on of their squad places on him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So which stages are the ones that Sam has the best chance in?

And what stages does he have a half chance in?

Will he contest the points classification like he did in France?

There doesn't seem to be many flat stages looking at the stage profiles.

Friday is is first real chance I'd say, but I wouldn't be looking for him to win a points jersey given the way the points work here, usually the GC guys take the green jersey with the top sprinter in 2nd or 3rd as was the case with Sagan and Viviani.

Was it 2017 when Froome basically robbed Trentin of it on the last day by deciding he wanted that too and placed in the sprint to get some minor points.

EDIT: Sam might have had a few more chances this week had the race started as planned in the Netherlands, which is why the race is only 18 stages and how we ended up with a GC day on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Chivito550 wrote: »

Haven't looked at the course in any great detail but there appears to be four stages that could theoretically be classed as traditional sprint stages. I'm sure someone else will have more info. The one thing I do know is that it's unlikely he'll contest the points Jersey as (unlike the tour) the same amount of points are given on mountain stages as sprint stages so its nearly always a climber who wins it.

Stage 4 on Friday, Stage 9 next week, and Stage 18 on the final day in Madrid will be his targets.

He might have a slight chance on Stage 14 but more than likely not. I can't really see him competing for any other wins.

There is so much climbing in the Vuelta this year that Sam won't have a hope of winning the Points classification. There is a good chance that whoever wins the overall classification will also win the Points competition. Roglic is currently leading the Points classification and he's amassed 45 points already while Sam has zero

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Stage 4 on Friday, Stage 9 next week, and Stage 18 on the final day in Madrid will be his targets.

He might have a slight chance on Stage 14 but more than likely not. I can't really see him competing for any other wins.

There is so much climbing in the Vuelta this year that Sam won't have a hope of winning the Points classification. There is a good chance that whoever wins the overall classification will also win the Points competition. Roglic is currently leading the Points classification and he's amassed 45 points already while Sam has zero

What about stage 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What about stage 10?

It’ll all depend on how and the team are feeling and what kind of break gets up the road that day. The Cat 3 climb looks pretty tough

What about stage 10?

The final 1.5 km of the stage is at 6% average gradient. Sam may still be in the peloton up to then, but I can't see him winning the stage with that type of finish. I'd love to be wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd say Cav is on feck all, or very performance based, now with Bahrain. Never mind what he'll get next time around. Interesting he made the first echelon yesterday, before he crashed out.

Phil Gil was considered something of spent force, and Quick Step got him on a low basic salary (at least first contract) iirc.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'd say Cav is on feck all, or very performance based, now with Bahrain. Never mind what he'll get next time around. Interesting he made the first echelon yesterday, before he crashed out.

Phil Gil was considered something of spent force, and Quick Step got him on a low basic salary (at least first contract) iirc.

Gilbert was slowing down but Cav can't even keep up with groups that are cruising half the time. Also Gilbert was a Belgian legend and worth way more to DQS than Cav

Advertisement