Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's fine just squint and they look like the Schlecks

Yeah but the schleks sound like rocket scientists & nuclear scientists compared to those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

He's done more that jersey than any cyclist I can remember. No one can begrudge him missing this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Speaking of his plans for the rest of season, anyone know what they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Racing in Belgium I would say.....all to satisfy the paymasters and get sponsorship.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I've heard otherwise but ide be surprised if he doesn't end up at the Vuelta as it's flatter than normal this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I've heard otherwise but ide be surprised if he doesn't end up at the Vuelta as it's flatter than normal this year

With Jakobsen out, maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

happytramp wrote: »
    Speaking of his plans for the rest of season, anyone know what they are?

I posted my thoughts in the Off-Topic Thread...

I think his next race is Gent-Wevelgem on October 11th. I don't know what other races he is planning on doing. There are actually not that many left in the calendar anyway because of the two Grand Tours. Maybe Schelderprijs on October 14th or the 3 Days of De Panne on October 21st?
    There is no mention of him doing Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, or the Vuelta (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Keeks wrote: »
    Racing in Belgium I would say.....all to satisfy the paymasters and get sponsorship.....

I would have thought that was his job ?

What a weird way to describe what every cyclist in the world does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭Macy0161

He'll be turning professional next!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

swarlb wrote: »

In another season, Sam might have had the luxury of ridding in Italy , France , Spain (Manly stage races ) et (or in his previous ,Turkey - doubt he will ever ride there again ,as he’s no longer playing second fiddle to other sprinters) rather than the Belgian races (Most of the classics /semi classics) which are normally held in March -April

But with all the races so close together this year ,and due to their obligations to compete in World Tour races , The teams don’t have a luxury of spacing out riders campaign.

While a race like Liege Bastogne Liege would normally get GC climbers taking part , many of them, in a normal season would avoid that race and do Paris -Nice and or the Italian Stage race that is in a few days later and then move onto something like Tour of Romandie or some Spanish Stage race .

Not sure Roglic or the podacar would normally ride Liege (Roglic was preparing for the Giro last year) and if their teams could ,they would probably give them a week off and prepare for the Vuelta

Typically lads who do the TDF - Vuelta wouldn’t race much in between (Barely a month between them) both bar the usual money making Post TDF “races” and maybe a spin in the San Sebastián Classic .

In a normal season, Before the Tour, March -April , teams would have their dedicated classic roster do the Belgian - Dutch - Italian-France one day races (monuments, classics, and semi classics) while the GC guys would do the stage races like Paris Nice, Tour of Romandie etc . The odd GC lad might do the Ardennes races like Amstel n Liege

However , but they can’t Do that this year ,as their team need lads for the Giro Those who aren’t going to the Giro , have to do a shift in Belgium ,which they normally wouldn’t do . Tom Doulumon looks like he could do with a week off too , but he will have to ride some of the Belgian races ,and while I might be wrong, it’s rare to see him ride at any of the Belgian Classics

As for Sam, while the climbing wouldn’t be the same in Liege as the world champ race (liege is still bloody HARD) couldn’t see him doing Flanders either ,especially if he’s down for the Vuelta

Don’t be too surprised to see many teams ,who are down men due to injury , putting out the same lads from the TDF for the Vuelta even if they aren’t in top form,simply to meet the numbers . (Think the Vuelta teams are 6 and not 8) bar maybe some teams throwing in neo pros and the odd lad who did well in the one day races .

Last season Thomas De Gent of Lotto rode in all three Grand Tours with some decent top 10s in all three and a deserved win in TDF . While he regularly races a lot , that was usual . Lotto hardly had much of a GC team

Bauke Mollema frequently doesn’t two tours in a season TDF - Vuelta . Last season he was extremely busy with Giro -TDF and a **** load of one day races after the world championship (which was fruitful for him);

• Registered Users Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think his next race is Gent-Wevelgem on October 11th. I don't know what other races he is planning on doing. There are actually not that many left in the calendar anyway because of the two Grand Tours. Maybe Schelderprijs on October 14th or the 3 Days of De Panne on October 21st?
    In with a shout for Gent-Wevelgem, and definitely for Schelderprijs. Love to see him begin to target the classics, and those are two to get the ball rolling.

I'd like to see him do the Vuelta. If he can win in Madrid, he has won the final stage in all three GTs. Can't imagine too many lads have managed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

I posted my thoughts in the Off-Topic Thread...

There is no mention of him doing Flanders, Paris-Roubaix, or the Vuelta (yet)

No point in him doing Flanders or Roubaix anyway. Might as well lie low til the Vuelta.

Exactly......never said there was anything wrong it that ;)
    thats what professional athletes do....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Friend of mine did these over 30 years ago. They are not they finished item, just test runs done with pastels. The empty spaces were eventually finished with crowds and banners whch only add to the intensity. I actually never noticed the 'winner' was in green, and has a helmet very similar to Sam's.
    The artist moved to France many years ago, so it's possible the finished product is hanging on a wall over there !

Friend of mine did these over 30 years ago. They are not they finished item, just test runs done with pastels. The empty spaces were eventually finished with crowds and banners whch only add to the intensity. I actually never noticed the 'winner' was in green, and has a helmet very similar to Sam's.
    The artist moved to France many years ago, so it's possible the finished product is hanging on a wall over there !

Looks like the jersey inspiration is Carrera,green and 2 La Vie Claire which would make sense for an Irish/French 80s cycling fan

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I think Sam won't get his game in the 2 cobbled classics - Roubaix and Flanders.

They have loads of guys that are more suited to these races (presuming all fit) - Stybar, Jungels, Lampaert, Asgreen , Devnyns, Tim the Tractor, Keisse, Cavanga, Senechal & of course the World Champ who is doing Flanders I believe.

No room for him in that line up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Great stuff. Hopefully they stuck his face all over all the Lidl in Ireland he deserves it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Do they have subtitles As Gaeilge ? : )

Markov is headed to the Vuelta. That might be a sign that Sam is too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

You don't even need to register, it's on Youtube but unlisted, so you just need the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOEoqwi9Mls

There ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

That's really good, very much enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭JMcL

He'll get the pick of the next lot of cycling gear they have in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

Sam confirmed for Gent-Wevelgem on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Very nice. I’m sure Sam would love to have that hanging on his wall.

Advertisement