Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

copper12 wrote: »
    Evening all
    I still tipping away’ getting bits and Pisces done’ here and there; I am hoping to make a start on the electrics in the next few days.
    In the meantime.
    I have started a RYA Day/Coastal Skipper Coerce.
    While I am surprised; by the amount of knowledge I have gained over the last couple of years.
    I am not surprised; by the amount’ I need to learn, however since I had to start somewhere.
    I felt this coerce will give me a base, from witch I can get a better understanding’ of what I need to learn, in order to sail somewhat safely.
    I am finding that this coerce will give me a good start
    :)

Great to hear that you are wrapping it all up. I've really enjoyed this thread over the past year.

I'm in hte same boat (ha ha), getting my little day sailor back into condition and also looking to start the day skipper course early next year.

Please let us know how you find the course and what you think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    Well the course is going well two weeks into it and I have all ready learn a lot.
    It’s an RYA based course’ and you download a training electronic plotter chart.
    Also included’ are exercise and course information booklet, RYA training charts, day skipper shore based course notes, and a training almanac; parallel rule, and marine dividers, all of which by the second week I have leant to use.
    Although it took me a couple of days just to find a bearing on the map; I could find on the electronic plotter; and find it with a course bearing; but for the life of me, I could not find it true the charts; it turned out I was reading the chart incorrectly; or interpreting what I was looking at the wrong way.
    There’s a huge amount of information in a chart much more that I thought.
    Anyway it took two days to find the first mark; and two minuets’ to find the second.
    The chart plotter is easy enough to follow’ and gives a lot of information, tutorials’ and training slides’ also there’s a lot of stuff on you tube.
    There’s also a lot of enfaces on weather charts’ and there interpretation; weather fronts’ and there effect on the winds that you would encounter.
    In the meantime’ I have started on the wiring, getting the right fittings, for the cables has been a disaster. either the fittings are two big, or the lug is to small, having spent a few bob on these; I have decided to make my own; at least I will have the right size, when I nee them.
    8, 10, 12, 15mm copper pipe will cover anything I need.

Evening all
    Jasus there’s wires everywhere :eek:
    I finished installing the big stuff i.e. 25mmsq and 20mmsq cable
    I have run independent ground for the batteries and the house loads
    I had the cable I might as well use it
    Installed the blue sea add a battery kit; I will fit an extra led’ when I come across one’ and have fitted a double clip; at the solenoid’ that’s connected to the the starter motor’ I will take a wire off this, to the battery isolator; to isolate the batteries’ when starting the engine

Evening all
    So far I have the engine wired up and tuning over from the key
    I drained the internal water system and filled it with antifreeze just in case.
    I also moved the water expansion tank again I had second thoughts when I installed the battery having a water tank next to the battery just didn’t seem right so I moved it to a position where I can easily access it and top it up if necessary.
    The cabin lights turned out well' all LED lights, so I won’t be using much power.
    The navigational training?
    Exercise for this week Seamanship’ Chart work’ Tides’ Meteorology, and half a dozen other things just as well it the middle of winter; otherwise I would not have the time to do half as much reading.:confused:

Evening all
    So far I have the engine wired up and tuning over from the key
    I drained the internal water system and filled it with antifreeze just in case.
    I also moved the water expansion tank again I had second thoughts when I installed the battery having a water tank next to the battery just didn’t seem right so I moved it to a position where I can easily access it and top it up if necessary.
    The cabin lights turned out well' all LED lights, so I won’t be using much power.
    The navigational training?
    Exercise for this week Seamanship’ Chart work’ Tides’ Meteorology, and half a dozen other things just as well it's the middle of winter; otherwise I would not have the time to do half as much reading.:confused:

• Advertisement

Evening all
    Seeing that the sun was splitting the stones this morning and it was to hot to be cooked up in the boat:P
    I said I might as well give the steps a couple of coats of varnish

Evening all
    Just one of the 20 or so questions for this weeks exercise

Rozelle cove is a secondary port

A) Which port is Rozelle Cove standard port?

B) On the 29th of January what is the time and height; of HW in the standard port and in Rozelle Cove?

C) Give the following times and heights for Rozelle Cove
    !) LW on the morning of 11th April
    !!) HW in the early evening of the 20th March

A= Port Frazer

B= Standard Port HW 11.52 Roselle Cove HW 11.14

C=!) 11th of April; Port Frazer LW 0.5m Tm 06.06 Roselle cove LW 0.7m Tm 05.48
    !!) 20th March; Port Frazer HW 3.9m Tm 03.00 Roselle cove HW 3.9m Tm 02.32

From the almanac
    Standard port port Frazer (arrow)

Times heights (metres)
    High water low water MHWS MHWN MLWN MLWS
    0000 0600 0500 1100 4.2 3.4 1.1 0.4
    1200 1800 1700 2300

Differences Rozelle cove

-0038 -0018 -0036 -0014 +0.2 -0.2 +0.5 +0.2

To say that this coerce has been a kick up the arce for me would be an understatement :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Are these times in local time summer time or UTC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The easy answer is...... " I do not frequent such places described as "secondary ports". I have standards, y'know!"

Evening all
    The training charts covers the land mass of three fictitious counties
    The time zone for the northern territories; universal time UT zone0.
    It also has daytime saving time DST
    The southern territories' has a peninsula, that has a -0100 time zone,
    to convert southern peninsula time' to UT -1H it also has DST
    :P

• Advertisement

Evening all

Is your head melted yet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Evening all

Tell them to piss off cos you have a sat-nav :):)

Evening all
    I haven’t gotten much done this week
    I have however removed the bowsprit
    I was unsure as where I would put the forward navigation lights
    There were none' fitted to the bow section initially
    There were two lights in a box that came with other bits and pieces.
    So I opted to fit them to the bowsprit
    I had to make some stainless steel plates; it took a couple of hours’ hammering to form the bend around a bit of 1” pipe’ and pop rivet them in place it’s turning out ok.
    I will be able to wire it internally rather than trying to clip the wiring to the outside.
    Here are a few pictures of the progress so far

There were two lights in a box that came with other bits and pieces.
    So I opted to fit them to the bowsprit ........I will be able to wire it internally rather than trying to clip the wiring to the outside.
    Here are a few pictures of the progress so far

The pictures saved it ...it’s the “Pulpit” (not bowsprit - you gave me a fright there for a minute, thinking it would be dunked regularly). That’s a regular place to have it. The wiring on mine is threaded through the tubular steel rail from below and out through a small hole to the light bracket. I'd also encase the wire with a bit of appropriate flexihose to stop chaffing.. :)

Me head is melted from this NAV coerce. :eek:
    Between tidal streams’ tidal heights’ and tidal diamonds, compass rose’ deviation, variation, true north, magnetic north, I done know weather I coming or going.
    I try and get a bit of work done on the boat just to get a break:o

Evening all
    I got the navigation lights’ and the cabin lights working
    LED bulbs fitted.
    You can see from one of the photos’ that I put in a bend in the cable’ to allow water to drip away.
    By using a cable tie to form the bend’ and heating the cable’ with a hot air gun’ it softened the cable casing;
    When cooled, it remained in place without support.
    Can anyone give me some advise as to weather I should have lights in the cockpit area

some more

Can anyone give me some advise as to weather I should have lights in the cockpit area

Would be good to have some light but would to much not kill all your night vision

Evening all
    I got a little bit more done in the last couple of days.
    I fitted the wind generator; as I have most of the cabin lights working’ rather than having to charge the battery with a charger.
    I said I might as well fit the generator’ and work out any problems if they arose.
    It was just as well; as I blew a couple of fuses’ the first time I connected everything up, it turned out that the generator must have had new brushes fitted’ at some stage, and the wires were soldered in place in reverse’ two white wires, the one with a black strip’ ground wire according to the wire diagram’ it turned out to be the opposite.
    It will take a couple of days before I am satisfied that everything is working ok.
    I also fitted the steps for the forward cabin.

Evening all
    This navigation coerce’ I have to say. I am finding it challenging
    I thought it would be plane sailing :D
    It took me quite a while to get my head around the compass.:confused:
    True, variation, compass, vs. compass, variation, true, leaving out the deviation. :eek:
    I didn’t know which way I was going
    Any way with the help of the tube
    T V M V D C AW; I draw a little graph, add west’ going down and subtract east’ and the opposite going up; I finally seemed to get it right.
    When you get all that right; then you have to deal with the tidal stream’ you think you are going one way, but you are actually going somewhere else.
    A bit like skating on ice’ you are pointing in one direction’ but sliding in another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

So it's not all plane sailing :D

Copper I was reading back over the recent posts and saw your Q on cockpit lighting – You would be surprised at how bright it is at night when at sea and your eyes get used to the dark. The only time you really need a light is when you want to signal your presence to another vessel – a torch to shine on the sails is ideal but it screws up your night vision!
    You also get to know the boat and soon will be able to reach out and immediately locate a winch handle / whatever without even looking.
    If you are going to fit a cockpit light I would fit it with a red lens and a dimmer.

Evening all
    Thanks Pedro
    many’s the time, when sea trout fishing’ I have been able to tell the time by my watch’ without using my lamp’ in deed some times’ you would cast a shadow from moonlight alone .
    Five minuets’ changing a fly with the lamp on’ and one minute with a red light’ returns your night vision’ fairly quickly
    I was thinking red light was the way to go’ I will fit some red LED lights’ somewhere in the cockpit

I have been going over some of the questions to date, for the navigation coerce, and I have had to correct some of the answers, and then correct some of the corrected answers,:( jasus you leave decimal point out and it ---- up everything. :mad:

Evening all
    Thanks Pedro
    many’s the time, when sea trout fishing’ I have been able to tell the time by my watch’ without using my lamp’ in deed some times’ you would cast a shadow from moonlight alone .
    Five minuets’ changing a fly with the lamp on’ and one minute with a red light’ returns your night vision’ fairly quickly
    I was thinking red light was the way to go’ I will fit some red LED lights’ somewhere in the cockpit

I have been going over some of the questions to date, for the navigation coerce, and I have had to correct some of the answers, and then correct some of the corrected answers,:( jasus you leave decimal point out and it ---- up everything. :mad:

Just enjoy the course don't be put off by it. Once you have the boat in the water get to know your local waters and take it from there. Also use youtube for videos if you get stuck.

Evening all
    The wind generator is working away; it has charged the 100amp hour battery; from 12v to 13v fully charged’ over the last couple of days:).
    I will be plugging the house’ into the boat’ instead of the other way round’ If these winds keep up.:D

Evening all
    I have got a little bit done in the last couple of days
    I have installed the, wind indicator’ depth sounder’ and the speed log.
    And wired them up; alarm attached to the depth sounder.
    There’s still a lot of tidying up to be done with the cabling’ I will wait until I have everything installed’ before I do this, as I may have to move things around a bit.
    I also installed the vhf radio; I still have to connect the signal inputs’ to the radio and wind indicator’ when the mast is stepped.
    The battery is reading 13.5 volts’ so almost fully charged’ hopefully the controller will sense’ when it is fully charged, and dump the excess load’ to the 12v dump load/resistors.
    I may have to give the cockpit area a coat of paint especially around the cockpit lockers.
    As there seems to be some water getting in around these areas.

Evening all
    What with the break in the weather I decided to fit the bilge pump.
    I had to enlarge the hole in the keel, in order to fit a pump’ into the water trap’ that is built into the
    Cast iron ballast.
    It is 6” thick’ so it took awhile’ there’s not a lot of room there’ but I got everything fitted.
    Automatic bilge pump’ manual bilge pump’ and the modification to the raw water pump’ just in case.
    Rather than go with a traditional float switch; I installed a [water witch switch] I fitted this switch’ just above the pump head.
    I also fitted a rule pump switch. I bypassed the fused connections, and fitted an inline fuse, next to the battery.

Evening all
    I fitted an extra fuel filter to the engine.
    The plan is to change the main engine fuel filter maybe one in four; as it is difficult to get at.
    Filled the engine side of the water system with antifreeze.
    Turned the engine over.
    Think she would start; no way:confused:
    It turned out to be a dodgy crimp connection’ to the fuel cut-off solenoid.
    Once I got this sorted; off she went, the throttle handle needs a little bit of adjustment’ but other than that. Everything seems ok’ in and out of gear smoothly’ so all in all, I am happy with the engine installation.

Evening all
    I haven’t got a lot done recently with the weather
    So in my spare time’ I made up two fans for the cabin’s they are from old computers.
    At 1.5 and 650ml amps; they will not use a lot of power, there 12v brushless motors’ so I fitted a couple of switches’ so now all I need is something to attach them too, so they will swivel’ I also fitted a 12v external cigarette socket, that I can fit a USB charger’ to it might come in handy in the cockpit.
    I had to change the water separator filter; it was the original one, so it had outlasted its usefulness’ so I changed it and installed a valve’ it will make changing the filters that little bit easier.
    I also fitted the casing to the electrical panel; there’s just enough room for a shelf above.:P

• Advertisement

Hey Copper,
    Don't mind all that navigation black arts stuff, no posts since before Xmas, we need your news updates here.
    Pedro (avoiding jokey comments about cold turkey!)

Advertisement