Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hey

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    I know I haven’t posted in a while
    But the black dog was back
    I had two very close bereavements’ since: there are now two extra saints in heaven.
    Anyway I been tipping away’ hoping to have CEO Na Marra’ ready for March or April
    I have secured a mooring I just need to get the timing of the move sorted.
    If I get some good weather she should be ready.
    Since March and April’ is the busiest time for putting boats in the water’ in Crosshaven.
    It could be the end of April’ before she gets wet, I would hope to have the last lift on a Friday, or Saturday’ and leave her in the straps for the weekend’ while she swells; well that’s the plan.
    I post a few photos ASAP

The weather before’ and after Christmas’ hasn’t been good, I had hoped that, I would have had a lot more done.
    I will be getting the sails ready over the next few weeks’ between the old sails from Ceo Na Mara’ and the sails that came with the mast’ I hope to end up with at least a set that will allow me to get true the learning faze’ before I decide if I need a new Set.
    If I get some good weather over the next couple of weeks; I will give the hull above the water line a few coats of paint; any recommendations?
    All that is left is really cosmetic; third fix so to speak.
    Most of the wiring is done; tinned copper cable.
    And some of the several coats of varnish to the inside.
    Here are a few photos before and after.
    bulkhead1.jpg

bulkhead2.jpg

bulkhead3.jpg

bulkhead4.jpg

i cant post photos:o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

copper12 wrote: »
    i cant post photos:o

Welcome back and sorry for your loss. I'm not sure what is going on with the photos it might be something to do with the breakdown we had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sorry to hear the bad news copper12.

Boards images are broken since a recent malicious attack on the site.
    For now, best to post them to a 3rd party site like http://imgur.com/ and post the BBCode link it gives you.

just checking

I used the cut out’s from the steps for the towel rail:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi Copper,
    Sorry to hear about the tough time. Great to have you back.
    Paint – Exterior best to use two-part International, it is expensive but it is worth it as it will last longer and the finish is better. For the interior I’d use International Toplac.
    Best,
    P

Evening all
    Jausus pedro that stuff cost almost as much as gold leaf:eek:
    I got a little bit done today; it’s the fiddly bits that take the longest.
    Actually this has almost taken me a week.
    I needed to somehow tie in the roof of the front cabin to the side panels.
    Something I felt it needed; so I cut’ bevelled’ and scribed’ some teak, to fit just under the leading edge.
    Although this is screwed into the side panels’ and then to the oak beams’ it still needed something else.
    So I tried some brass rail handles’ heated and bent’ but they would not work, so back to plan E and used some brass bar, that I had; a lot of cutting, drilling’ and cusin’ and I finally got it right.
    I fitted four’ each had a different angle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Nice, I like your way of thinking.

Evening all
    Dropped the sails off to the sail maker.
    Spread them all out; and watched with amusement’ as he laughed, due to my ignorance.:P
    It turns out’ at least one sail, did not belong to either boat’ IE, Coe Na Marra’s old sails; or the sails that came with the second hand mast.
    Since the new main sail was damaged by a mouse;:eek: and needed to be repaired’ and would have been to big.
    He decided the best option would be to cut out the damaged section’ thereby making the sail smaller, and would not overpower the boat.
    The other sails’ jib and Genoa, he advised to wait until I had the mast up’ and try them for size, before making an alterations’ if any are needed’ they might be ok.
    So the first bit of good weather’ I will lay them out again’ and clean the hanks’ and an other bits and pieces that need attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

copper12 wrote: »
    Evening all
    Dropped the sails off to the sail maker.
    Spread them all out; and watched with amusement’ as he laughed, due to my ignorance.:P
    It turns out’ at least one sail, did not belong to either boat’ IE, Coe Na Marra’s old sails; or the sails that came with the second hand mast.
    Since the new main sail was damaged by a mouse;:eek: and needed to be repaired’ and would have been to big.
    He decided the best option would be to cut out the damaged section’ thereby making the sail smaller, and would not overpower the boat.
    The other sails’ jib and Genoa, he advised to wait until I had the mast up’ and try them for size, before making an alterations’ if any are needed’ they might be ok.
    So the first bit of good weather’ I will lay them out again’ and clean the hanks’ and an other bits and pieces that need attention.
    We all make mistakes, due to may ignorance I once put a spinnaker up sideways in a race!

Evening all
    I have finished the navigation coerce’ passed the first section of the exam; by a head ;)
    The second exam’ completed yesterday, I have to wait and see the result.
    I learnt a lot during the coerce’ it has given me a better understanding’ as to what to expect over the next couple of months’ so next step is to put it into practice.
    Tonight I started the VHF coerce; this will be a short coerce’ over three nights, so far so good.
    I decided to try and get these coerces over and done with; rather than put them off.
    This learning faze may not last long; so I might as well make the most of it.:P

Evening all
    I have been kept quite busy
    I can’t post photos’ as one of the grandkids’ kids took a likening to the USB connection’ for my phone so until I get it back I have to try something else.:o
    Anyway I have managed to secure a swinging mooring’ in Crosshaven’ the buoy number’ from the harbour commissioners’ and had it put in; new block, shackles, rode, and buoy, it took awhile to get this’ as moorings in Crosshaven for a boat’ over thirty feet are like hens teeth.
    I have also given the boat a couple of coats of paint.
    I decided reluctantly’ to paint that inside of the cockpit’ so I have given it a couple of coats of red lead.
    And I will probably go with the same paint colour a the hull.
    To date’ the hull has had around five coats of marine undercoat, and two coats of oil based gloss.
    At least tree more coats’ above the water line, and two below the water line.
    Ante fouling; how many coats and how thick should they be? Any advice would be appreciated
    The days are getting longer and if the weather improves she should be in the water soon. :)

With the antifoul just coat the boat till your happy it's covered and if there is any left do an extra run along the water line, painting with a brush will probably give you the thickness of 2 coats of a roller so it's a bit hard to say, on the tin I think it says it should be a 100 microns thick so get your tape out :) You will have a better idea next year as to how much growth you get from the water your in and the amount of times you use the boat will also come into play.

Best of luck.

Evening all
    Well I have given her a couple of coats of paint and ante fouling paint
    I still have a few more to go that is if the weather improves

Evening all
    I got the report back from the sail maker and it was not good.
    By the time he repaired the damaged parts of the sail; and cut down the sail to size, plus the age of the sail’ it would not worth my while to have it repaired’ so I opted for a second hand one.
    Only four or five years old’ stained, but in good condition.
    So I will have a look at this, and see where I will go from there.
    Between the showers’ and the cold, I managed to give the hull and the inside of the cockpit, a couple of coats of paint’ a few more and she should be looking good.
    I also made a start on the wind generator stand; I have placed it on the stern starboard side;
    And will allow a six foot man or women to stand underneath without getting a haircut. :p
    Ill keep you informed as to progress, it can be easily taken apart for servicing.
    I had a chat with the boatyard, it could be as late as April or May before they can handle the lift, as there must be over three hundred yachts’ stacked like sardines it there yard.
    The foreman’ being an owner of a wooden yacht himself, was more than helpful, and gave a lot of advice’ as to how to go about getting her ready for the water.
    So next step’ is to get e rigger up to have a look at the mast, and the standing rigging, and see what modifications need to be made to have the mast stepped.
    So all in all a lot happening but not much to show for it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Looks brilliant!

Evening all
    Finished the top of the waterline’ I’m not sure if I will put in a strip’ or leave it as it is.
    Also fitted the wind generator’ it will have to come apart for transport, so I will leave putting some
    Lock tight on the nuts and bolts until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Looking really well - looking forward to the boardsie invitations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

http://www.boatshed.com/kings_ametyst-boat-161144.html

Keep up the good work copper12.
    Another one here on the project section of boatshed.
    Shows how nice your one is in comparison.

Evening all
    I still have to give her a couple of coats of paint and varnish
    She’s come a long way
    I received the second hand sail it’s in good condition I give it a wash if I get the chance

It has three reef blocks and a full set of new battens so I am happy enough with that
    If I get the chance I will get all the sails out and repair what ever need to be repaired
    It would seem cotton tread is the tread to use for stitching rather than a synthetic
    Tread so a visit to a haberdasheries is in order or a coal yard :D

Evening all
    Well the weather is back to normal and brought the flu with it
    I have been in contact with the rigger on two occasions, without a successful outcome.
    While I know this time of year’ there at the busiest, he could have shown more interest.
    So it seems I might as well go and rig her myself; I have examined the forestay, shrouds, and backstay, and the swaged fittings, they all look ok’
    More than likely having to shorten the wires and use new fittings; I will double check my measurements over the next couple of days.
    The boatyard agreed to steppe the mast; so if I have to hold onto the Crain; while I set up the rigging, them I might save myself a few bob.
    She still needs two more coats of varnish’ a coat of paint’ and then she will be finished with the paint and varnish at least to the hull and cabins.

Evening all
    Washboards what to do with them when not in use
    I had been stacking the on top of the cabin every time I opened her up
    While this was ok when she’s outside my backdoor when I get her in the water it would be another matter I could see them sailing away if didn’t come up with something more secure
    So I had a some oak left over and with some glue and some screws made a holding sliding grove
    To easily secure them inside the cabin I lose about an inch head room I can live with that
    The cockpit area didn’t turn out too bad

Evening all
    I got a little bit done since my last post.
    I finally fitted the house battery fitted; 115 amp hour leisure 95€ special offer.
    Connected it up to the blue sea’ add a battery system’ and the wind generator.
    Everything seems to be in order, and working fine’ except’ I have to change one connection from the volt sensitive relay; I connected to the power side of the starter solenoid, and I should have connected to the starter side of the solenoid, simple fix when I get the chance.
    Since, I still have not heard back from the rigger’ I decided I would need some mast steps, so rather than spend 25 to 30€ a step’ I made my own, a visit to the local scrap yard’ produced just the right size and thickness aluminium bar, for a tenner; 20€ for 70, 6mm pop rivets, and a 6.5mm drill bit; so I’m happy enough with the way they turned out, I recon I will need about 21 or 22 steps if I need more I have enough left over to make another few.
    Next step is to give them a sanding primer and some hammerite paint and they should be fine.

As you can see I used scientific calculations for the measurements’
    Second notch on index finger and a red mark just above thumb joint
    Fridge freezer to check for plumb

Keep it simple

Evening all
    I picked up a punt; fitted a seat’ some oarlocks’ and some wheels’ turn out grand.
    I also made a plate for the backstay’ from a piece of scrap stainless 5mm plate’ that already had four 10mm holes drilled into it’ so I only had to drill two more.

Mast steps are almost ready to fit

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Great punt, it's an "Optimist" kids sailing dinghy, so you've two sailing boats now.

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I fitted the main sheet traveller’ I found a bit of brass to finish the edges.
    And almost finished fixing the mast steps’ but ran out of pop rivets.

Advertisement