Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Did you change the impeller, if the fuel pipe was perished more than likely the impeller is too. Clean looking engine.

copper12 wrote: »
    Evening all
    I finally got round to servicing the outboard
    Changed the gear oil, and done some miner repairs, I got this engine second hand for next to nothing…
    So replaced a perished fuel pipe, and traced an electrical fault’ dodgy connection, she has hardly been used although a few years old.
    Changed the spark plug filed her with fuel think she would start not a chance I tried everything rechecked every connection checked the gap on the spark plug still no joy
    Right time for a fag and a Coffey then start again
    Then you have a eureka moment did I turn on the fuel valve turns out I hadn’t :mad:
    If I had two brains I would be twice as stupid :o
    Second pull she started and works fine. :p
    Also fitted the anchor thirty meters of chain and fifty meters of rope.
    Although I had misplaced some of the deck fittings for the anchor I found a use for some old golf clubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Using the 7-iron for the anchor brings a new meaning to 'slinging your hook':o

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    Well she still sits outside my back door.
    Definitely she will be in the boatyard next week.
    While I have been very busy doing job’s that I should have done months ago’ but kept putting them off.
    I still have not got a rigger, even though I have contacted several’ it seems that they will gladly replace existing rigging, something one of my grandchildren could do. .
    If however they have to start from scratch; they don’t want to know, to much head scratching involved I suppose. :mad:
    However I had a chat with Pythagrorahes’ and we came to an understanding, that if I use his
    Pythagorean Theorem; :eek:I will be sorted.:P
    So that is what I have done’ and checked and double checked everything’ and will try and fit the rigging.
    The boatyard might not be too happy’ but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Back again
    I have done a lot of repairs and some modifications to the sails and the boom.
    I have fitted new sliders and eyelets to the mainsail foot; to suite the boom.
    Replaced the sliders on the luff’ and repaired some minor holes’
    I fitted blocks to the boom for the two reef lines.
    Cleaned and filled in some drill holes with chemical metal.
    Replaced the eyelets and the hanks’ on the jib, fitted new sew on hanks’ as the sails might not last that long.
    However’ other than some staining, the material looks and feels quite good.
    I fitted the outboard engine mount’ I thought it would take new a couple of hours; two days later I am still at it; finely got it right.
    Oh; and the steps, I had to get them welded’ so when I got them back I fitted them also.

a few more

• Advertisement

last ones just the view I had most mornings

Evening all
    Hopefully buy the end of the week she should be in the water
    I been doing the last bits and pieces
    There’s a lot of space around the forward bunks so in order to make some use of this
    I made up a floating shelf it can be easily adjusted to suite
    I also fitted some oak treads to the stern ladder the steel ring looked a bit harsh
    Fitted the life raft and the turnbuckles and moved the mast alongside ready for transport
    I am hoping to have her moved Wednesday but most likely Thursday.

some more

I have been very busy the last couple of days
    I modified some plumbing to make a true deck fitting
    And moved the boat to the boatyard
    Three inches to spear going under the river tunnel
    On my first journey I will pass over the same tunnel going up river

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Next big step is to put it in the water and see if it floats, no pressure though

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Is it possible that it will leak a bit at first until the planks swell, or is that just with clinker built boats? (Is Coe Na Mara of carvel construction?)
    We used to purposely sink the Shannon one design dinghy for a few days at the start of the season if had it dried out too much during the winter, otherwise it would leak like a sieve!

........However I had a chat with Pythagrorahes’ and we came to an understanding, that if I use his
    Pythagorean Theorem; :eek:I will be sorted.:P

I remember him, a Greek rapper with a geometric mind !
    Best of luck with the launch.

I remember him, a Greek rapper with a geometric mind !
    Let’s hope we don’t have a failing out:o

All the seems were ok before the move but as she got a good shaking on the way down
    Some have opened up by this I mean tiny cracks along the paintwork
    I have been busy getting the mast ready
    Lights’ wind vane’ vhf Arial’ I am almost there
    I have to reassemble the wind turbine.
    And run the cable for the GPS I ran it inside the steel rail to the wind turbine stand; and from there it will go to the nav station.
    And find a leak in the water tank.:(

Evening all
    Finically on the wettest day of the summer she is in the water
    It’s been almost eight years since she last went for a swim
    For the first couple of hours she was taken in about 800lt an hour
    After 12 hours about 300lt an hour after 24 hours 50lt an hour
    After 36 about 50lt and as of last night about 5lt an hour
    So far so good
    I moved it from the boat yard as soon as I could as they were not very helpful.
    I am very disappointed with there service.
    I have stepped the mast; no real problems. There’s still some fine tuning to do, and I need to
    Lengthen the backstay; after an hour I was able to release the Crain.
    About the same amount of time’ that I had seen other mast being steeped.
    I had filled the bilge with water for a couple of days; to the top of the stringers.
    This I feel helped a lot and slowed the amount of water she was taken on board.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Congrats on the launch she looks beautiful just sitting there, it must have been a bit nerve wracking watching the first 800lt coming in thinking is this ever going to stop, or are my bilge pumps working fast enough.

Very well done it looks really good.

One thing, on the boat I crew on with over lapping jib, when you tack the jib may get back winded for a second against the mast before it fully goes over. You might foul the mast steps you fitted. Maybe tape some pipe insulation to the lower two steps on each side, and see if they are getting hit.

If you've a mall jib it won't matter.

Evening all
    It’s been just over fifty hours since she went in the water.
    She is taken in water, at a rate of less than a litre an hour’ things are looking good so far.
    While waiting I have got the hang of splicing
    I met the marine engineer that done the survey a month ago; on the pontoon this morning, as he was surveying another boat’ and he gave it the once over, he was delighted things are running smoothly’ and advised me not to do anymore tweaking’ to the mast, until I get the sails up and have had her out a couple of times. I have to raise the boom a foot or so as it’s nearly in the cockpit.
    I have at least a meter to play with.
    Connecting the boom to the traveller any advise would be welcome I thing I have the blocks see photo.
    I connected up all the navigation equipment and the only thing not working is the radio
    I cannot receive or transmit
    Date time gps all working
    So next step is to borrow a vhf antenna’ and see if it’s the problem’ I had the radio checked’ and I was told it worked ok so I think it’s the antenna.
    Or the cable.
    So I might get a chance this weekend’ to bring her out, and motor around to get a feel for her.
    That’s if the summer starts.

Evening all
    I have to raise the boom a foot or so as it’s nearly in the cockpit.
    I have at least a meter to play with.
    Connecting the boom to the traveller any advise would be welcome I thing I have the blocks see photo.

Hi Copper,
    Be careful not to raise the boom too high, or you will lose too much sail area and spoil the cut of the sail (it's baggy at the lower end).

On your boom/traveller question, looking at the ‘traveller’ photo and the ‘blocks’ photo, things do not gel, as IMO you have too many blocks for the set-up on Ceo.

The traveller is moveable, so that suggests a simple purchase, i.e. a block on the boom-end and one attached to the traveller. Otherwise there could have been a block on the boom, one on the deck at port, another opposite on starboard ( a three-block arrangement) but for a boat that size IMO that would IMO be overkill.

Starting with the traveller, there should be a ‘jaws’ at each end of the rail, port & starboard, allowing a line to be fixed at the outer ends and rove through the wheel (sheave) on the traveller and back to a jaws. That would allow you to fix the traveller in the centre, or by easing the line allow it run down or be pulled up on the traveller rail.

I think what you need is a simple double or treble purchase, a block on the boom and one on the traveller, not easy to see how many pulleys/sheaves on the block with the jaws (to be fixed to the traveller) To see what I mean have a look at this video…

The photo of the traveler the screws holding it down look a bit small for the job, maybe you should look at something stronger. To set it up take a look at other boards and ask owners, take photos ....

• Advertisement

The mainsheet system I would use is #6 here

spacehopper
    The traveller is screwed down with stainless steel screws; true the decking’ and into the oak deck beam.
    Believe me it’s going nowhere; the deck will lift before the traveller.

Evening all
    I have been tidying up and doing some little repairs and alterations.
    I think she is almost ready for sail.
    I am having the icon radio repaired’ there seems to be a known problem with this model’ something to do with receiver’ the guy who is doing the repair’ has emailed Icon, and is awaiting a response.
    At least I don’t have to go up the mast.
    It has given me a chance to fit a bridge’ to the GPS, it should allow me to connect other devices’ in the future.
    I raised the boom about a foot’ when level, it know rides high enough’ that when it swings’ it wont take the head off me, when standing in the cockpit.
    Cleaned out the bilge again, even tough I cleaned and hovered everything a dozen times, there still seems to be sawdust and other debris; finding its way to the pump.
    She is a bit down at the back’ most likely because of the engine, it sits just aft of the centre line’ and is much bigger than the original’ I will move the life raft and see if this helps if not then it’s some pig iron.
    I have sorted out the idling speed for the engine’ I thought I would have to either change the governor weights’ or springs’ according to the manual’ but I got away with a bit of wd40 and some adjustment to the cable’ she ticking over nicely now.
    I rigged up the boom traveller, as close to the original’ as I could make out from old photos.
    Looks ok to me.
    I have to run a line for the blocks on the traveller and it should be right.

While there’s only a few left in the world people have been good enough to share pictures and information with me here’s some of there setups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Lovely restoration job Copper, very well done.
    The 4 stroke outboard hanging on the back might not be helping your trim. Yachts usually don't like any weight in the ends, as it's often called. Try to concentrate any heavy items as close to amidships as possible. It will also improve sailing performance.
    You may need to drill a hole in the toe rail to dead-end the traveller line. Then use a purchase to adjust it and turning blocks to run the line back to the cockpit.

Evening all
    Well she finally on her mooring
    My first time tying up to a swinging mooring.
    Talking about drama; I made a complete b##ls of it’ if it could go wrong then it did.
    I done everything arse ways’ lost the boat hook’ I had spent three day cleaning and varnishing the hook; the previous owner had it for years’ two minuets’ I used it for and it was gone.
    Everything was going grand approaching the mooring.
    Slowed right down’ came to a halt’ I had the boat hook ready’ grabbed the buoy’ forgot completely about the tide pushing me on’ tried to hold on but had to let go hook an all.
    I had kept the engine running’ so motored back and managed to throw a loop around the buoy’ tied off, and went back turned off the engine, and had a look to see if I could find the boat hook.
    By this time she had swing around and was facing into the tide.
    I could see the boathook floating off into the distance; I also noticed I was still floating after it.
    Look-in forward I could see the buoy and the mooring line the line had slipped.
    I had not tied off properly, looked for the key to start the engine’ you think I could fined it; panic stations.
    I had my working gear on’ so had a multitude of pockets to search.
    Finally found it’ buried under screws, nuts, and bolts’ started the engine pushed the gear lever forward’ throttled up; within a few meters the engine cut out, pulled her out of gear’ tried to start her again not a hope.
    By this time I had drifted a good distance’ I had gotten a number of ropes ready just in case I needed them’ this was both the saviour of the day, and the cause of the drama.
    I managed to throw a line around another unused boy’ at least I had stopped drifting.
    Another boat nearby came to may assistance and towed me back to my own buoy and I tied up again with a multitude of knots.
    It turned out when the line slipped it pulled one of the docking lines with it and this had wrapped around the prop.
    What damage this has done, I wont find out until I get a diver to free the rope’ and see what damage If any I have done’ hopefully if there’s is any damage’ then it only to the flexible coupling.
    By god did I learn some valuable lessons yesterday?
    :o:o

Thats boating for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

It turned out when the line slipped it pulled one of the docking lines with it and this had wrapped around the prop.
    What damage this has done, I wont find out until I get a diver to free the rope’ and see what damage If any I have done’ hopefully if there’s is any damage’ then it only to the flexible coupling.
    By god did I learn some valuable lessons yesterday?
    :o:o

I have used a gopro on the end of a extending roller paint pole with live view on my phone to assess damage to the prop. Like you we are on a swing mooring so best time is at just before low tide. Handy way to check if you have access to one. Been that soldier too with the gaff ending up in the water.

Fingers crossed not too much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

Thanks for a wonderful thread, it made great reading. Congratulations, you have a beautiful boat.

• Advertisement

Evening all
    As you can imagine I have been fairly busy lately
    It turned out:
    When the rope was removed there was some damage done’ I really wont know how much until I get her lifted in November’ it should hold until then, there’s some water’ either coming from the stern tube’ or the cutlass’ not much, but enough to have the pump run once an hour about ten litres.
    Tried to start the engine’ not a hope’ I thought I had burnt out the starter motor.
    I took it home, and further investigation revelled I had burnt out the solenoid, 40€ better than 300€ for a new one.
    I even made a new boat hook’ I made it to long’ as I needed to see what size would suite.
    First time in use’ the other half shortened it for me, it was like a bullet going off; it is now the right size.:pac:
    It is made from teak poles’ that I had salvaged years ago’ and used to hold up my tomato plants.
    So here I am now at a stage where I am motoring around Cork harbour; I even went as far as the old head’ and stayed in kinsale’ it takes me forty minuets’ to get there by car; four and a half hours by boat.
    I had a great time; I even hooked a big bass’ or a tuna’ as I had a line out the back, with a huge popper’ it was like tuna wars; 350 yards of line out before I broke at the swivel.
    I have fitted the mainsail and the reef lines’ and moved a block here and there, and went out off Roche’s point a couple of times’ and was tempted to try and raise the sail; but I chickened out and just motored about.
    Yesterday I bit the bullet’ and put in two reefs and raised the sail at the mooring’ and motored out again’ only to find there wasn’t enough wind to blow out a candle.:(
    I had been advised to go well out when sailing for the first time’ so if something goes wrong, I would have enough time to get things back in control; and have an anchor ready just in case.:eek:
    After a few hours the wind picked up and I sailed for the first time alone.
    Most of the time the boat was in complete control; as I had no idea what was happening. :rolleyes:
    With just the mainsail up, and ten to twelve knots of wind; I managed to two’ to tree’ knots.
    Plenty of tacking and jibing; at least half the time Coe Na Mara actually done as I wished; the rest of the time she done what ever she wanted.:P
    Once she stalled I found it difficult to get her to come about; I think I slowed down to much and I did make the turns sharp enough.
    If today goes well I might venture the jib’ I have a Yankee sail’ that should give me some control
    Well that’s the plan :D

Advertisement