Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

copper12 wrote: »
    I hope my work reaches his standard ;)
    It exceeds it

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Evening all
    Well I have made a start on the galley area
    There were some timbers I had hung onto and they allowed me to have an idea as to how I would put it all back together with the photos I took when disassembling the galley
    Most of the timber was rotted and of no use
    Not everything went in the way it came out with some adjustments’ a cut here and there I am almost there.
    I started with the floor as this section needed to be put in first and built up
    This is where my skills a carpenter:(
    Any way a picture tells a thousand words

a few more

last lot

Evening all
    I have almost finished the galley area; I fitted the sink and repaired one of the drawers.
    The starboard side is coming along nicely; there were a few miner adjustments that needed to be made’ to make it fit; and I fitted a few hardwood pieces, in the corners to strengthen the lot.
    A couple of coats of varnish and it should come up looking as good as they were originally
    I should be finished this in a few days hopefully

• Advertisement

Evening all
    Sine my last post I have been to three weddings and a cruse on the Shannon
    64 people 10 nationalities everywhere from the people’s republic of Cork to Azerbaijan; Angola’ and in between and 11 boats. I am still getting over it .:eek:
    I managed to get a bit done in between’ I have repaired a previous repair to the rudder handle; the handle is made up of teak’ and the repair was done with mahogany, so I replaced it with teak.
    I have also done some work on the mast; I managed to modify the mast step’ to suite the new mast
    And have fitted it the traditional way; bedded on a mix of sand and cement 1 to ½ mix
    I also fitted two portholes to the front of the forward cabin; I had not intended to put windows in’ but it was a bit of a blind spot’ so I went ahead and reinforced the forward piece of mahogany’ with 9mm marine ply on the inside’ in order to prevent splitting’ they turned out well.

a few more

was wondering what happened to you it has been a while.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The portholes look great, sort of give her a face :)

Photo1466_zpsbrnec2pg.jpg

Evening all
    Got a bit done in between the showers
    Fitted the mast step in sand and cement mix; dry, I will give it a few days to observe moisture, and cure before I caulk around the edge.
    I also fitted the chain plates; it took a while trying to find the right stainless bolts.
    The top bolt’ goes true the 1” mahogany’ then true 5” of pine’ the other three bolts secured true the mahogany’ I had to use a blow torch to get the right bevel’ but they turned out all right.
    The young fellow is back front down under’ so I am hoping he will tackle the steps’ for the forward hatch’ they will have to be assembled so I can take them apart’ if I need to repair the engine.

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I made a start on the forward hatch; I came across a set of good strong hinges’ it will be a while before they miss them if ever.:cool:
    And fitted the lifting rings locks.
    The young fellow’ made a start on the cabin steps, it’s a work in progress.

Evening all
    I have been tipping away
    All the smaller jobs seem to take for ever.
    I had to move the water reservoir for the engine’ as there would be no access when the cockpit floor is fitted; so I moved it into the battery box’ directly above the engine’ there’s still enough room to divide the box’ and have room for a good sized battery.
    The young lad’ trial fitted the steps’ leading into the main cockpit it’s made up of oak stringers and mahogany; it dose exactly what it say’s on the tin; Removable’ and blocks the engine and the bilge hole’ there’s still a bit of work to do yet’ so far I am’ happy with the outcome.
    So I can now get on with wiring up the engine’ and the cable runs for everything else’ I also came across a wind turbine; 155€ to good to miss’ I have given it the once over and everything seem ok’ there’s not a lot that can go wrong with an Acrogen wind turbine; if its not working the only things that would seem to have be replaced’ would be a rectifier’ or an capacitor’ the bearings and propellers all seem ok’ I will let you know when I test it; a simple test’ a bit of wind, short out the leads, and if it slows down’ then everything should be Ok.
    I finished refurbishing the old bilge pump and there’s good suction when I pump the handle an turbo charge intake from a Mitsubishi canter’ sorted out the 90 degree bend’ I will have to make to reach the bilge’ I will fit the copper tray, when I have the engine sorted out.

AS you are reworking the engine and all the plumbing it might be a good idea to rig up the engine cooling system so that it can suck water from the bilges in an emergency. The operator of the Cheeki Rafike had suggested that the skipper as they were taking in water mid Atlantic however in the end they never got the chance and the boat at crew were lost.

Even know which sea cock to close and what hose needs to be disconnect would be enough.

Space hopper I should be able to rig that fairly easily; it makes since’ two extra inline valves’ should do the trick. I just have to make a big enough filter for where the pipe inters the bilge.
    You can see from the attached photo' where the hole for the bilge is located; almost right below the raw water pump, it’s where the yellow valve, is so it should not be to difficult to make up

Space hopper
    I have made up a rig that will allow the raw water pump, to be used a bilge pump in an emergence.
    Close the sea cock, for the raw water main feed; and open the valve from the bilge’ the bilge holds about 25 to 30 litres before it reaches the floor of the cockpit, either side of the 4” hole there’s a 1” hole drilled to allow water to enter the reservoir; a normal bilge pump’ fitted here would not empty the reservoir so along with a normal bilge pump, I will fit a self priming pump; plumed into the reservoir. It will get fairly crowded in there’ as I also have to fit two more pipes’ one for an ordinary hand pump; and another for the reconditioned original pump; that empties onto the cockpit floor
    I have them so I may as well fit them.

Let's hope you never have to use it

Evening all
    I have been kept busy

I have made a start on wiring up the engine; and the wiring for the lights, house’ and running lights.
    So theirs wires everywhere, I have also started to fit a water lock to the exhaust’ I haven’t all the parts so I a job in progress; and at the moment; I am trying it fit the engine control cables’ I have spent almost a day at this and just about, have the gear change lever fitted’ Id solve one problem’ only to run into another. :confused:
    I started the electrical connections, with the best intensions’ having bought the marine grade crimps’ with enough shrink tube to rap a Mummy; I have to say most of it was useless, either the tube would not fit over the crimp, or it would not shrink over the wire, disaster; so I have invested in some liquid electrical tape; something I should have done from the start, and saved myself a few bob.
    Ah well you live and learn

Evening all
    Well I have finished with the engine control cables.
    The gear control took the longest to get right; trying to get the angle’ for the cable to slide easily’ where it connects to the gear lever’ took a while to sort out’ eventually I got there.
    The accelerator cable, went a lot easier’ I was able to use the old clamp, where it attached to the throttle, and made up a piece for where it attached to the engine throttle’ things were a bit tight under the deck; everything seems to move smoothly now, except for the gear lever; the lever had a little kink in it’ so I had to remove it; and where did the 8mm steel ball bearing go,, only god knows; for the life of me I could not find it.
    Cleaned everything up’ searched everywhere’ it’s only a little space; where could it have gone.
    I should be able to come across one easily enough though; I also fitted the water lock’ next I have to make up the goose neck, and rebuild the seacock.
    I will make up the gooseneck with 1 ½ ABS pipe and fit an air admittance valve; I was going to get a steel one made up; but sense the water locks maximum operation temperature; is only 70c, and the ABS is twice that’ it should be ok, at least I have the room to replace it later if it dose not work.

Evening all
    I have finished installing the wet exhaust system
    Fitted a water lock and an air admittance valve; looks tidy enough, I might have to add some supports to the hose going from the waterlock to the gooseneck.
    I have made a start on the foul water system.
    I had to fit the holding tank, on the starboard side, even though the cistern is located on the port side.
    I could not get a tank small enough; with enough holding capacity, to fit in the area next to the cistern, so I had to plum across two 1”½ pipes, to connect to the cistern; in this area I will be able to fit the toilet; with two air vents and a Y valve; that will enable me to operate the system; in such a way, that I can divert the waste to the holding tank, or the below water outlet, or empty the holding tank, with a waste pump when necessary.
    Anyway I will keep you informed

Buy the way I ordered all the parts that I though I would need to install the system
    Turns out most of the connections I got wrong:( and are of no use to me at the moment;I might find a use for them in the future
    If I had two brains I would be twice as stupid :D

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I am finally one step ahead of the head :)
    It was one of the more awkward jobs so far; it was easer fitting the engine'
    Every fitting' was a different size, nothing was standard' or uniform in size.
    Finally I finished:P
    At least I left enough room to read the paper when I am taking a load off my mind :D

Evening all
    I have started fitting some of the deck hardware.
    I also fitted the cockpit’ copper basin, with the reconditioned pump.
    Unfortunately’ no matter what I tried, I could not get it to fit; with pump.
    Reluctantly I had to remove the pump; and fit a flange, between the brass top’ and copper tank’ with two layers of amerflex in between.
    This left a hole in the oak boards; so I fitted a piece to make more surefooted .

one more;)

I just thought ’I would post a few photos

another few

Evening all
    What with the good weather; I’m trying to get as much done on the outside’ as I can, and leave the wiring and other jobs’ for when the weather changes.
    Here are a few pictures, they tell the storey’ better than me.

a couple more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-EzI4Co4W4

I have been very busy lately
    Me internet has been down for the last couple of weeks
    I made up an LED fitting for the stern light super bright festoon bulb works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Glad to see that you have the "Game of Thrones" successfully put behind you!:D

• Advertisement

Evening all
    I still tipping away’ getting bits and Pisces done’ here and there; I am hoping to make a start on the electrics in the next few days.
    In the meantime.
    I have started a RYA Day/Coastal Skipper Coerce.
    While I am surprised; by the amount of knowledge I have gained over the last couple of years.
    I am not surprised; by the amount’ I need to learn, however since I had to start somewhere.
    I felt this coerce will give me a base, from witch I can get a better understanding’ of what I need to learn, in order to sail somewhat safely.
    I am finding that this coerce will give me a good start
    :)

Advertisement