Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

I'd say the toolkit be a good starting point, it is made specifically for the exam after all.

To be honest, I haven't really looked at anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Planning on covering off on standards. These are very rusty in my head at the moment as it is over 18months since I have had to look at them.

Cover off the standards ( Reading them , summarising them )
    Try some sample questions
    CGS - School

1 month of doing questions.

That is my plan.

Think I'll sign up to the CGS school for the AAFRP, getting good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 11 elizmac28

I would definitely recommend the cgs school, I'm doing the aafrp for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DaUmpire

tumbledown wrote: »
    Hope veryone is well and enjoyed the Christmas break.

I'm trying to get started on preparing for the AAFRP exam but feel a bit lost. Could anyone shed some light on how they are approaching this? I made the awful mistake of looking at the sample paper the other night and it scared the lfe out of me, admittedly I'm not the worlds most natural accountant but I was completely up brown water creek

I was sort of planning on this:

Go over all CAP 2 FR standards and notes
    Get familiar with the tookit
    ??
    Profit

Any advice gratefully received

I'm a Belfast student and had the AAFRP workshop at the weekend. Found it really good-the guy Michael who took it went through each section explaining how to approach it and went through a couple of examples before going through last years paper. He recommended working through the toolkit and using the questions to identify what standards u are weak at. This way u will c a patterning forming of what standards are constantly appearing. Big problem is time (the usual with any professional exam) practising under time pressure is key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

DaUmpire wrote: »
    I'm a Belfast student and had the AAFRP workshop at the weekend. Found it really good-the guy Michael who took it went through each section explaining how to approach it and went through a couple of examples before going through last years paper. He recommended working through the toolkit and using the questions to identify what standards u are weak at. This way u will c a patterning forming of what standards are constantly appearing. Big problem is time (the usual with any professional exam) practising under time pressure is key.

I missed that workshop. Do you have any of the other timetables? (im in belfas group 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I am the same with financial reporting I really struggled with it for cap2 and seem to remember nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

This is what I did for the AAFRP last year:
    • Attend the workshop
    • Derry Cotter’s notes
    • Chartered grind school
    • IFRS books (only for disclosures) - most of it is covered in the book you obtain from the CGS
    • The FR cases book (only did the standards I was weak in)
    • The toolkit (about 3/4 times)
    • Ensure that you understand why certain things are being done in the solution and make assumptions, if necessary!
    • In the AAFRP exam last year there was a question about a customer going bust post year-end and nearly everyone I spoke to said it was an adjusting event in accordance with IAS 10 and posted the double entry.
    o However an alternative which I said in the exam was ‘I don’t know the reason why the customer went bust, it could be due to something that happened post year-end (fire/earthquake destroying the customer’s premises) therefore I will not be providing for it 2012 but rather 2013’

Any questions, let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CHARTEREDEXAMS

Hey guys,

I'm repeating Core next September.

Can someone please post the Cork FAE Core timetable.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DaUmpire

Debs23 wrote: »
    I missed that workshop. Do you have any of the other timetables? (im in belfas group 2)

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Is the only book we got for core tax this year the cap aq tax book?

Only tax core book I have is the corporate and individual tax planning book

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aca2801

Hey, I was wondering could someone please post up the tax elective timetable? Im a repeater unforunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 joebloggs88

Does anyone have a copy of the FAE timetable for Cork for 2014? I don't have access to the timetable and would like to be able to attend some of the lectures...

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Only tax core book I have is the corporate and individual tax planning book
    Is it a large book god i must organise my books

200 pages about

Hopefully gets my RC in Tax in the Core :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Been so weak at TAX - I have decided to book onto the CGS tax course for the core exam !

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

When do people find out about appeals relating to FAE Sept 2013?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

When do people find out about appeals relating to FAE Sept 2013?

They came out before Xmas - 20th!!

Oh guys, I just signed up for this crap again. The few months off from FAE was great, but heres to finally beating those ridiculous exams in September to both new FAE students & repeaters!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JoanH

hey guys....anybody got a copy of last years AAFRP paper and solution? If so can you post it up...it's not on the CA website. Thanks a million

Its in the back of the aafrp toolkit book JoanH

Thats my problem you see. I know the papers are in the toolkit but I'm a repeater. I got an NC in the AAFRP last year! Anyway, I didn't get any new books this year so I don't have the new toolkit. I was hoping that somebody might have the actual paper and solution from last year outside of the toolkit. Any help is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Debs23

DaUmpire wrote: »
    Hope this helps

DaUmpire

Did you go to the Tax integrated case workshop last Saturday? Was it any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

could someone please send me the Galway FAE timetable please!

Signed up for the limerick course but may be in Galway some weekends

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lauma

JoanH wrote: »
    Thats my problem you see. I know the papers are in the toolkit but I'm a repeater. I got an NC in the AAFRP last year! Anyway, I didn't get any new books this year so I don't have the new toolkit. I was hoping that somebody might have the actual paper and solution from last year outside of the toolkit. Any help is very much appreciated.

Here you go !

Hey thanks a million lauma. You're a star.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Foxy1987

Hi All,

Just a quick post regarding exam centres. I have been in contact with the institute requesting them to reinstate the Sligo exam centre as there is a complete disregard for the NorthWest!

Can anyone who would benefit from this exam centre email me please! I've been in contact with them already about this and I am going to push it! ACCA held an exam centre in Sligo for TWO STUDENTS! The institute are saying it will cost too much as there are not enough numbers! Not good enough.. If you know of any other students could you ask them to also get i contact with me.

my details are:

Bernie
    sligo@cassi.ie

Hey Guys,

Interested in hearing if anyone has begun doing work for this. Also would like to know what is the best way to begin with the tax elective. Any advice you may have is much appreciated. Thank you:)

• Advertisement

Sorry but does anyone know where the primus pet food case is?

Advertisement