Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Murt15 wrote: »
    There was a tweet (since deleted) accusing NC players of bringing up the names of 2 deceased Gweedore players. I think Carroll was just clarifying that particular accusation.

Sounds more plausible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

Nobody in for Asst Sec at tonight’s convention. If any of you are interested I’m sure your club can nominate you!

Who the heck would want it!

So, no Paddy, Michael and Oisin Gallen for the majority of the league.

doc_17 wrote: »
    So, no Paddy, Michael and Oisin Gallen for the majority of the league.

Paddy McGrath or McBrearty?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Paddy McGrath or McBrearty?

McBrearty. Gone travelling for at least 4 months is what I’m hearing

• Advertisement

So could be missing the following

Paddy McGrath
    Eoghan Ban
    Keiran Gillespie (bit of a stretch, but still)
    Jason McGee
    Michael Murphy
    Paddy McBrearty

For some or all of the league.

Frank McGlynn gone

Could be tough enough going

Is Peader Mogan in the squad?

And Neil will be given time off too. Hopefully Carroll commits and we see what’s he up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2019/12/18/rory-kavanagh-maxi-curran-confirmed-as-donegal-underage-managers/

What the County Board give with one hand they take away with the other.

smashey wrote: »

Hard to disagree with much there. Coloured by 2011-2014 of course, but Papa, Neil McGee, Lacey and Murphy were certs. Good to see Adrian Sweeney there, and I'd probably have Diver at 5 and sub Ryan McHugh for Hegarty. Eoghan Ban would surely be close as well.

• Advertisement

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/sport/502970/another-injury-blow-for-declan-bonner-and-donegal-ahead-of-start-of-2020-season.html

So no Gallen but we might get Paddy back.

If MacNiallais can't make up his mind over Xmas we can do without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Hard to disagree with much there. Coloured by 2011-2014 of course, but Papa, Neil McGee, Lacey and Murphy were certs. Good to see Adrian Sweeney there, and I'd probably have Diver at 5 and sub Ryan McHugh for Hegarty. Eoghan Ban would surely be close as well.

Would have Eamon McGee over McGrath or Hegarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,994 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Difficult to quibble with any of that. Damien Diver very unfortunate imo that it was a straight choice between him and Frank McGlynn.
    I would liked to have seen Eamonn McGee in there beside the brother but as I said, difficult to quibble with that 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That's some collection of footballers.:)

Looking forward to an overnight stay in Ballybofey for the upcoming league match.

Any recommendations for a sociable drink welcome.

seligehgit wrote: »

Looking forward to an overnight stay in Ballybofey for the upcoming league match.

Jackson`s Hotel on the way in to the stand side always has supporters in before and after games.
    Byrne`s Babes often stayed over in Donegal Town before or after games, Even Derry v Mayo and always drank in McGroarty`s but that is under different management now and not the GAA pub it was.
    Dom`s Pier 1 or the Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town usually have GAA supporters in.

Keep driving.

Would have Eamon McGee over McGrath or Hegarty.

I was a huge fan of Barry Dunnion. Would have him over Eamon even if I thought McGee could well have been man of the match in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

charlie14 wrote: »
    Jackson`s Hotel on the way in to the stand side always has supporters in before and after games.
    Byrne`s Babes often stayed over in Donegal Town before or after games, Even Derry v Mayo and always drank in McGroarty`s but that is under different management now and not the GAA pub it was.
    Dom`s Pier 1 or the Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town usually have GAA supporters in.

Thanks a million.

Not travelling with Byrne's Babes on this occasion but we'll be staying in Jackson's Hotel.

I was a huge fan of Barry Dunnion. Would have him over Eamon even if I thought McGee could well have been man of the match in 2012.

I would have been also. Brave as a lion. Sometimes too much for his own good. Barry Monaghan is another one that was very unfortunate in just being gone when the good times started under JMcG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Pappa
    Paddy McGrath
    Neil McGee
    Damien Diver
    Frank McGlynn
    Karl Lacey
    Kevin Cassidy
    Big Neil
    Rory Kavanagh
    Christy Toye
    Brian Roper
    Ryan McHugh
    Sweeney
    Murphy
    Colm Anthony

• Advertisement

Thanks a million.

Not travelling with Byrne's Babes on this occasion but we'll be staying in Jackson's Hotel.

Heeneys would be the GAA bar.

As for MacNiallais, I think it’s time to move on. The rest of the team are back, he isn’t and I’m sure he was offered. He isn’t that good that we need to be making fools of ourselves by begging him to play. He rarely made a huge impact at inter county.

As for MacNiallais, I think it’s time to move on. The rest of the team are back, he isn’t and I’m sure he was offered. He isn’t that good that we need to be making fools of ourselves by begging him to play. He rarely made a huge impact at inter county.

Good man Doc. I had completely forgotten about Heeney`s U Drop Inn.
    Good GAA pub that I spent many a day and night in the younger days but now when I do make it to Ballybofey I`m driving so get back to base before having a few scoops.
    I would like to see MacNiallais committing but if he is not prepared too then as you say no point in us making fools of ourselves begging.
    Move on and go with lads that are prepared to give the commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I agree that if he’s choosing not to play for Donegal then there’s no point in dwelling on it but I feel like he has made a significant impact on plenty of occasions at inter county level. Maybe not consistently enough against the top opposition but still. He was fantastic against Roscommon in 2018 and we lost control of that Tyrone game in Ballybofey when he went off injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

If Odhran is a happier to opt out then so be it. Good luck to him. Personally, I would love to see Michael Carrol, Eoin McH and Michael Langan kick on this year. The induction is long over, they have had a few years of S&C under the belt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Odhran confirmed missing NFL. This is a balls.

Anyway, good luck to him. Door will always be open to someone of his quality.

Odhran confirmed missing NFL. This is a balls.

Anyway, good luck to him. Door will always be open to someone of his quality.

If he is traveling or has some other reason for missing all of the league then fair enough, but if he is just hanging around I would not be in favour of him just walking back in for the championship without making himself available for at least a few league games.

Time for us all to move on. If he wants back in he should be the one to initiate things rather than the county begging him to play. Ball is in his court and if wants to play next year then ask him to start to train when everyone else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

It's a big ask to commit to intercounty. If he can't manage the rigours or just doesn't fancy it it fair enough.
    Shame not to have one of the most talented players in the country but the panel should move on with what it has. Still a lot of exciting young players coming through. With the changes at Dublin, if there is any opening for a shot at everything it may be 2020.

overshoot wrote: »
    It's a big ask to commit to intercounty. If he can't manage the rigours or just doesn't fancy it it fair enough.
    Shame not to have one of the most talented players in the country but the panel should move on with what it has. Still a lot of exciting young players coming through. With the changes at Dublin, if there is any opening for a shot at everything it may be 2020.

It may not seem like high ambition nowadays with so much talk of downgrading or even abolishing the provincial finals but for me the priority for next year is winning Ulster, doing the three in a row and after that let the cards fall where they will.

• Advertisement

Target has to be an All Ireland Final. To do that we need we need to win Ulster otherwise our path has us in a group with Dublin and Kerry.

I don’t think we were a million miles away last year. With some luck it’s possible.

Advertisement