Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭rrs

They should have just moved Sigerson before Christmas. They moved it from the late January start, to earlier start, but that doesn't improve things.

Kieran Molloy of Corofin has been in situation where he was playing Club and Sigerson the last 2 years in the same period This will be the 3rd year, as he has a All Ireland final in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »
    We have withdrawn. We’re getting a name for being a shower of whinging d***s. A total embarrassment is what that decision is. The Co Board should have stepped in and said we’ll play, get a team on the field and play it. I hope we are fined as much as they can fine us. An utterly ludicrous decision.

Lol.

It’s the McKenna cup. Would you catch yourself on.

One would hope this is a precedent for other county teams. The scheduling is pathetic and these tournaments are a farce. Bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

moghrasa wrote: »
    A name with whom? Are you being serious, you want your own county to be fined for not playing a pre season football match? Can't help but feel that's a tad overdramatic...

Pulling is out is overly dramatic. When did DB find out the SF was this Sunday? He’d have known before he entered. So don’t enter. And I bet there’ll be plenty more than 13 at what I’m sure will be right tight training session at the weekend.

Lol.

It’s the McKenna cup. Would you catch yourself on.

One would hope this is a precedent for other county teams. The scheduling is pathetic and these tournaments are a farce. Bin them.

Exactly! It’s the McKenna Cup FFS. Put 15 out on the field or don’t enter the thing at all in the first place. The time to set the precedent would be to not enter the thing. I don’t rate it as a competition either and don’t think there’s time to play it. But you’re in or you’re out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I'm with the doc on this. Either don't enter it (and I agree with Nidge it's time to bin it), but don't start bleating and moaning half way through. There are no surprises here. The schedule was known, the fact players would be unavailable was known, this was all utterly predictable.
    Just put out a team for Gods sake, there are enough players available to have a go - or as per previous years, let the U21s have a go.
    All very well taking a stand but the time for that was before the competition started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I'm with the doc on this. Either don't enter it (and I agree with Nidge it's time to bin it), but don't start bleating and moaning half way through. There are no surprises here. The schedule was known, the fact players would be unavailable was known, this was all utterly predictable.
    Just put out a team for Gods sake, there are enough players available to have a go - or as per previous years, let the U21s have a go.
    All very well taking a stand but the time for that was before the competition started.

The 20’s are in the middle of their own stuff so it’s not an option to play them I don’t think. And it wouldn’t be wise anyway really.

It’s the injuries that have tipped the scale here I think. But look, it’s the McKenna cup. Who cares really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pulling is out is overly dramatic. When did DB find out the SF was this Sunday? He’d have known before he entered. So don’t enter. And I bet there’ll be plenty more than 13 at what I’m sure will be right tight training session at the weekend.

You’re overly dramatic!!

Plenty of sense being talked on Off the Ball this evening, all agreeing that Donegal are 100% right to pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fair play to ye, I've seen my son play underage club on Friday and County next day and then get injured.

Donegal is not small fry. The GAA will have to cop on.

No wonder so many players are leaving the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It’s the injuries that have tipped the scale here I think. But look, it’s the McKenna cup. Who cares really.

Aye not bothered at all that we're out. That said, I do think Declan moaning about it is just a bit much.
    Anyways, stand is made now, hopefully this can be the end of the competition.

fullstop wrote: »
    You’re overly dramatic!!

Plenty of sense being talked on Off the Ball this evening, all agreeing that Donegal are 100% right to pull out.

Not at all. How basic is it to say “right, we don’t have the players, let’s not enter” Instead of trying to make a point now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not at all. How basic is it to say “right, we don’t have the players, let’s not enter. Instead of trying to make a point now.

Because they did have enough players to participate in the group games. Now we don't as there are Sigerson games this weekend. Thats on the GAA and the farcical scheduling they're persisting with, not us. Do you think it would have been better to display such arrogance to say in December that we wouldn't take part at all as we would be short for a semi final?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

This talk of not fielding is embarrassing and should be put to bed today. Such a stupid thing to be whinging on about.

We need to cop ourselves on.

Aye. We put it to bed. No need to beat Monaghan again. We did the right thing.

Because they did have enough players to participate in the group games. Now we don't as there are Sigerson games this weekend. Thats on the GAA and the farcical scheduling they're persisting with, not us. Do you think it would have been better to display such arrogance to say in December that we wouldn't take part at all as we would be short for a semi final?

The competition doesn’t fit in with the schedule we have. Too many things going on. We won’t be entering. That’s all they had to say. They used it for the 2 matches they knew they were gonna and now it doesn’t suit them so they pull out.

Anyway, I see I’m in the minority here. I’ll post no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Short sighted approach by Donegal. There are surely plenty players at Senior club level that would be worth giving a run to. The worst that could happen is that Donegal were beaten.
    The best that could happen is they might spot a good player that hadnt come to notice before.
    Field a team and stop whining. Its not Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,994 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For myself I think the McKenna Cup is a waste of time, especially now with Sigerson lumped into the middle of it, but I also dislike any team entering for a knock-out competition, winning a few games and then not fielding.
    That said, the criticism of Bonner may be a bit harsh. It appears now from reports that not only the Donegal county secretary but also the Down county secretary both looked to have their games put back by 48 hours but the Ulster council refused.
    Doesn`t appear the Ulster council have much time for the McKenna Cup either.
    That or they are being their usual helpful when it comes to schedule messes of their own making.

The McKenna Cup fixtures schedule have been known for ages. This is a Donegal and Down mess not Ulster Council. Even if deferred the fixtures would have to be played some other time. There was a time Donegal would appreciate winning a provincial tournament.
    Withrawing is a wasted opportunity

Edgware wrote: »
    The McKenna Cup fixtures schedule have been known for ages. This is a Donegal and Down mess not Ulster Council. Even if deferred the fixtures would have to be played some other time. There was a time Donegal would appreciate winning a provincial tournament.
    Withrawing is a wasted opportunity

Well it looks as if it is scheduled the same for next year as this the Ulster Council will most likely kill it off.
    Donegal and Down were not looking for it to be deferred to some vague future date from reports. The both requested deferring by 2 days.

What is on Tuesday night that prevented the Ulster Council agreeing to playing both semi`s then :confused:

Shame on Donegal sending their players to 3rd level. They should leave school at 16 and go to work for the County Board on the Convoy site until such time as it is complete. Then, they can start laying terraces in Ballyshannon and Letterkenny. At the weekends, they can continue their quest for (January) Ulster glory.

Anyway, what's this 'business opportunity' Paddy McBrearty is apparently pursuing in the US instead of making himself available for the McKenna Cup (hallowed be its name)?

charlie14 wrote: »
    Well it looks as if it is scheduled the same for next year as this the Ulster Council will most likely kill it off.
    Donegal and Down were not looking for it to be deferred to some vague future date from reports. The both requested deferring by 2 days.

What is on Tuesday night that prevented the Ulster Council agreeing to playing both semi`s then :confused:
    Reschedule it until September. They wont be too busy then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Well given that the All Ireland Final is August 30th, no inter county team will be busy in September. You should maybe forward that suggestion to the Ulster Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Have you considered doing stand up?

Well given that the All Ireland Final is August 30th, no inter county team will be busy in September. You should maybe forward that suggestion to the Ulster Council
    The team that wins the All Ireland will be celebrating. Donegal and the rest will be free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

The team that wins the All Ireland will be celebrating. Donegal and the rest will be free

Will be fine, celebrating isn't the obligation you make out. Donegal players have a good tradition of togging out with a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Sorry I still don't quite understand what you are getting at here. Can you explain further?

You sound like someone who has come to the realisation that your own county has no chance of being around for much of the Summer.

Commiserations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Well lads, any matches today?

Well lads, any matches today?

Hopefully I get to see Niall O'Donnell, Naoise Ó Baoill and Ciarán Cannon play for NUI Maynooth.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Hopefully I get to see Niall O'Donnell, Naoise Ó Baoill and Ciarán Cannon play for NUI Maynooth.

Niall O'Donnell not togged out. Was an laid back waterboy - think he has a virus or something.

Naoise Ó Baoill started but wasn't involved much.

Mary's the much slicker team.

Good win in Athlone for LYIT - Mogan got 1-5 from play.

Patton sent off for Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Mogan should get a bit of gametime in the league. LYIT will have a decent chance against sligo it in the next round.

I see Morrison and mccole were playing for DCU

• Advertisement

I see Morrison and mccole were playing for DCU

I'd like to see more of both in the League. Morrison hasn't really had a look in. McCole was kinda hung out to dry in the Divison 2 Final.

Advertisement