Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    All that soccer in Inishowen pays off as Buncrana win their Ulster Semi Final on penalties.

big doire city country up there too i believe , surly seen as traitors to the rest of the county :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

All that soccer in Inishowen pays off as Buncrana win their Ulster Semi Final on penalties.

Then it shouldn`t be that difficult to teach them how to pick up the ball and solo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Hopefully the Naomh Conaill lads will go for a well deserved pint tonight, some win today given the turnaround.

I'm assuming they'll get a two week break before the semi final? Ulster club fixtures don't seem to be available anywhere online

Hopefully the Naomh Conaill lads will go for a well deserved pint tonight, some win today given the turnaround.

I'm assuming they'll get a two week break before the semi final? Ulster club fixtures don't seem to be available anywhere online

Fair dues to them. They are one tough outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well done Naomh Conaill.

And Naomh Naille.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on new(kind of) U20 manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Thoughts on new(kind of) U20 manager?

Plenty.

Not impressed but better than that spoofer from Buncrana.

It is with great regret that CLG Dhún na nGall announce that one of the County’s greatest players, Frank McGlynn, Gleann Fhinne, today confirmed his retirement from the County Senior team.

Frank McGlynn – Retirement Statement

Having taken some time to consider my inter-county future I feel it is the right time to announce my retirement from the Donegal Senior Football Team. It has been an absolute honour to have worn the Donegal jersey for the past 14 seasons.

I have experienced so much during my career and I will be forever grateful for this. From great victories to heavy defeats, I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have shared a dressing room with some of the best Donegal players ever. There are memories both on and off the field that I will never forget.

I have gained so much from Gaelic football and I’m grateful to the coaches and managers that gave me the opportunity to play for my county. I would like to thank the many supporters who followed us through both good and bad times. It has been a privilege to represent them on the field of play.

I thank everyone in CLG Gleann Fhinne who put me in a position to represent my county and I look forward to a future of playing and coaching in the club where it all began.

I thank my parents and family for their constant support and encouragement. To my wife Diane and my three children Harry, Gracie and Lucas, who have made many sacrifices to allow me to pursue an inter-county career. It has been an unbelievable journey and one that I feel blessed to have shared with my family.

Finally, I would like to wish Declan Bonner and Donegal of 2020 the very best of luck. I look forward to supporting them in their quest for further Ulster and All Ireland success.

https://donegalgaa.ie/2019/11/05/donegal-great-frank-mcglynn-announces-his-retirement-from-inter-county-football/

It is with great regret that CLG Dhún na nGall announce that one of the County’s greatest players, Frank McGlynn, Gleann Fhinne, today confirmed his retirement from the County Senior team.

Frank McGlynn – Retirement Statement

Having taken some time to consider my inter-county future I feel it is the right time to announce my retirement from the Donegal Senior Football Team. It has been an absolute honour to have worn the Donegal jersey for the past 14 seasons.

I have experienced so much during my career and I will be forever grateful for this. From great victories to heavy defeats, I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have shared a dressing room with some of the best Donegal players ever. There are memories both on and off the field that I will never forget.

I have gained so much from Gaelic football and I’m grateful to the coaches and managers that gave me the opportunity to play for my county. I would like to thank the many supporters who followed us through both good and bad times. It has been a privilege to represent them on the field of play.

I thank everyone in CLG Gleann Fhinne who put me in a position to represent my county and I look forward to a future of playing and coaching in the club where it all began.

I thank my parents and family for their constant support and encouragement. To my wife Diane and my three children Harry, Gracie and Lucas, who have made many sacrifices to allow me to pursue an inter-county career. It has been an unbelievable journey and one that I feel blessed to have shared with my family.

Finally, I would like to wish Declan Bonner and Donegal of 2020 the very best of luck. I look forward to supporting them in their quest for further Ulster and All Ireland success.

https://donegalgaa.ie/2019/11/05/donegal-great-frank-mcglynn-announces-his-retirement-from-inter-county-football/

Not a great surprise, but nevertheless sad to hear.
    One of the true greats to don the county colours and a man that always gave everything he had on the pitch. A real warrior for the cause and no little skill to go with it

Something that was very much appreciated by supporters in the esteem and affection the have for the man.
    Thanks for the memories Frank and may the Gods be good to you and yours in the future.

Frank was a true legend. So many could learn from him.

Fare thee well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭dog_pig

His point against Cork in 2012 will live long in the memory.

https://youtu.be/LDh-j7vCQkA?t=291

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

dog_pig wrote: »
    His point against Cork in 2012 will live long in the memory.

https://youtu.be/LDh-j7vCQkA?t=291

Donegal were good to watch then, for all the talk of defensive football that year they attacked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

Donegal were good to watch then, for all the talk of defensive football that year they attacked well.

Great player, never saw him go around an opposing player in my life, always took the shortest route.........through them.

So Neil McGee signs on for another year. Would be great to get him an Ulster 3 in a row.

In other news, below was the Donegal News Team of the (Senior) Championship - would be interested to see if others have any views on who might make an impact at County level?

1. Stephen McGrath - Naomh Conaill

Patton the undisputed number 1 as far as I am concerned, but do we need cover or is Papa still got it if necessary?

2. Gary McFadden - Gaoth Dobhair

I guess I saw him play underage, but don't recall him standing out for Gaoth Dobhair last year. With Paddy McGrath and Gillespie doubtful, we need cover in the corner.

3. Neil McGee - Gaoth Dobhair

Still our number 1 choice?

4. Kevin McGettigan - Naomh Conaill

No idea what age or how good? Conor Morrison must be due more of a chance next year.

5. Ethan O'Donnell - Naomh Conaill

Has been in the panel so I suppose we will see more of him I suppose. Is he an all round wing back or better going forward?

6. Anthony Thompson - Naomh Conaill

A nice story this year but not one for the future!

7. Daire O'Baoill - Gaoth Dobhair

Needs to make some number his own next year.

8. Ciaran Thompson - Naomh Conaill

Hardly a midfielder at intercounty. Is he first choice anywhere else?

9. Michael Carroll - Gaoth Dobhair

The player I would like to see 'make it' most of all but something or someone has told me it probably won't happen.

10. Andrew McClean - Kilcar

Again I don't recall him at underage. Is he better than the other Kilcar fella who returned last year?

11. Odhran MacNiallais - Gaoth Dobhair

You know what you are getting. Will be big news if he is back.

12. Eunan Doherty - Naomh Conaill

Has he been in the panel?

13. Jeac MacCeallbhui - Naomh Conaill

Not sure he is a corner forward?

14. Niall O'Donnell - St Eunans

Good, needs improvement

15. Gary Clancy - Realt na Mara

Some scoring. What age is he and is he worth a look?

So Neil McGee signs on for another year. Would be great to get him an Ulster 3 in a row.

In other news, below was the Donegal News Team of the (Senior) Championship - would be interested to see if others have any views on who might make an impact at County level?

Patton the undisputed number 1 as far as I am concerned, but do we need cover or is Papa still got it if necessary?

I guess I saw him play underage, but don't recall him standing out for Gaoth Dobhair last year. With Paddy McGrath and Gillespie doubtful, we need cover in the corner.

No idea what age or how good? Conor Morrison must be due more of a chance next year.

Has been in the panel so I suppose we will see more of him I suppose. Is he an all round wing back or better going forward?

6. Anthony Thompson - Naomh Conaill

A nice story this year but not one for the future!

The player I would like to see 'make it' most of all but something or someone has told me it probably won't happen.

Again I don't recall him at underage. Is he better than the other Kilcar fella who returned last year?

Good, needs improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Has Papa played any football at all in the past 5 years? Think his club is still ballyboden and he hasn't played for them.

Of the players on that team, obviously Carroll and McNiallais would be welcome additions. Think Ethan O'Donnell deserves a chance, surely he can offer as much as Brennan or Doherty. McClean was on the minor team in 2014 that got to the final but think he was injured for later stages. Might deserve a chance but not sure if he is any better than Eoin McHugh.

My wild prediction for the year...Niall O'Donnell to make a leap next year and win an all star. Well maybe an Ulster all star.

Think Ethan O'Donnell deserves a chance, surely he can offer as much as Brennan or Doherty.

No doubt...

No doubt...

Doherty for sure.

charlie14 wrote:
    Doherty for sure.

I assume you think we were referring to Jamie. Well we're not.

We need cover. Michael Lynch from Naomh Colmcille is there and is a good player but is inexperienced. Would be good for Papa to commit again.

There's better around.

Our number 1 by a mile. Dealt with Paddy comfortably in the semi final and is still in great shape. If he can stay clear of injuries he is our go to full back and we have adapted well putting someone in front of him where needed.

25. Nowhere near intercounty standard.

Should be in the training squad again and a panellist. He needs a lot of s&c work and you're probably looking at 2-3 years before he would make any impact at senior level even as a bit part but he absolutely deserves to be in the squad.

Needs a solid run and again he's one who will get better with exposure.

He drove me mad last year and can be a pain because he's so languid but he's a huge asset and will be a starter next year. Division 1 league would be of huge benefit to him (if NC get knocked out of ulster).

Class act. Don't think he has the commitment for it. Should be brought into the panel anyway.

Played underage and has been very good for Sligo IT. Very good player at club and college level but probably not up to Inter county just yet. Wold include for training squad and see where he gets to.

Need him back. He's one of the best footballers in the country if we are serious about pushing on to try and compete for an all ireland you can't leave people of his quality sitting at home.

Not sure.

Not in the typical sense, no. Good player though and still young, not sure where he is in college but one to involve anyway. Good soccer player.

Good, needs improvement

This guy is absolute quality. Will only get better and will play a big role during the league which will do him the world of good.

26 ish No. He will get a call to training squad etc most likely on basis of his excellent return during the championship.

• Advertisement

I assume you think we were referring to Jamie. Well we're not.

I didn`t nor was I referring to Eunan Doherty.

No 3 in a row for Donegal Junior teams in Ulster.

Hard to see Buncrana doing much in the Donegal intermediate championship next year.

No 3 in a row for Donegal Junior teams in Ulster.

Hard to see Buncrana doing much in the Donegal intermediate championship next year.

You would't know, could make a push for relegation again.

Wow, very impressed by Naomh Conaill. Much better than I expected.

Any day a team from Donegal beats a team from Monaghan is a good day.

All the best in the Final.

Leo McLoone and Eoghan McGettigan brilliant.

Great performance from Naomh Conaill.

McLoone and Thompson had a stormer in mid-field.
    Eoghan McGettigan looks the real deal, and Anthony is still some operator.
    Bit disappointed in young O`Donnell. Seemed to take to much out of the ball, but a good learning experience for him.

They handled McManus well, especially with the black card so early on.
    We always knew how well the can defend, but very impressed with the space they created for themselves tonight.
    As Redsoxfan said any day a Donegal team beats a Monaghan team is a good day. To see Donegal people celebrating in Healy Park is something you could never get tired of either.

Awful hammering for Nauls.

Awful hammering for Nauls.

Aye cant say I’m in any way surprised. They were nowhere even near being the best team in the intermediate championship really but managed to win it. That Galbally side are very good, was very impressed with them (but glad I didn’t travel). Can see how the Tyrone championship is so competitive if that’s the caliber of team being promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

Didn’t a team from Tyrone win back to back Intermediate and Senior titles recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭rrs

That was Trillick in 2014.They didn't actually win Intermediate, they were beaten in the final but were promoted in the League. They grade the championship based on the League in Tyrone
    Trillick went on and won Senior in 2015 and again this year.

Advertisement