Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

I'd agree with that Charlie. Seen enough pre the 10s to to still cherish them! Being top of the Ulster pile will be vital come S8 time too as mentioned above. Just feel we are close enough to have a shot. McGee, Murphy are moving on in years too so if there is a window I hope we can make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Has Big Neil retired from football completely? I recall reading something about a tribute video being produced by Glenswilly?

I thought McGee had confirmed for next year... No?
    Hopefully it's just be as he is making most teams of the decade

Boost for our Ulster hopes too with mcshane leaving Tyrone, mcaliskey also on a year out too

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

overshoot wrote: »
    I thought McGee had confirmed for next year... No?
    Hopefully it's just be as he is making most teams of the decade

Boost for our Ulster hopes too with mcshane leaving Tyrone, mcaliskey also on a year out too

Sorry, I should have clarified..Neil Gallagher.

:o:o
    You'd clarified more than enough between the nickname and club, just a bit too sleepy here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Has Big Neil retired from football completely? I recall reading something about a tribute video being produced by Glenswilly?

No, that's been retweeted lately, but he's not retired at club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Anyone make it to Ballybofey today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Anyone make it to Ballybofey today?

Christ no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Christ no.

May be wrong, but didn`t Joe Brolly say that even the McKenna`s have no interest in the McKenna Cup anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

It wasn’t the worst match ever. Nobody really shows up though.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    It wasn’t the worst match ever. Nobody really shows up though.

I see young Mogan got the goal. Did he look as if he is up to the level required ?

charlie14 wrote: »
    I see young Mogan got the goal. Did he look as if he is up to the level required ?

Goal was lucky enough, ball was bouncing around the small square and he buried it. Daire looked good. Eoin McHugh scores a nice point at the start but then was quiet.

Goal was lucky enough, ball was bouncing around the small square and he buried it. Daire looked good. Eoin McHugh scores a nice point at the start but then was quiet.

Thanks for that. I don`t know a lot about the young lad other than knowing his mother and her family back in the day. Not insulting anybody I believe to say that the young lads football skills, whatever they may be, most likely come from the fathers side,
    Good to hear at least Daire looked good. Getting to the stage that it is difficult to know what to make of Eoin McHugh. He can show some great flashes during a game but then just often becomes anonymous.

Biggest issue with Mogan in my view is size. Another small enough fella. We need a few bigger lads. Langan and McGee really need to fill out.

Also, from what I recall at underage, Mogan played as a sweeper or spare man. Not sure how that would work at Senior.

Not that hung-up on how big (or otherwise) he is. He's not being asked to play in the middle of the park or as a target man inside.

Mogan is a very good footballer with potential. Glad he's getting a run and would like to see him during the league.

Not that hung-up on how big (or otherwise) he is. He's not being asked to play in the middle of the park or as a target man inside.

Mogan is a very good footballer with potential. Glad he's getting a run and would like to see him during the league.

He doesn't need to be played at midfield or full forward. Look at how we match up physically overall with certain teams.

I agree that he's a good footballer and I'd like to see more of him in the next few months.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    He doesn't need to be played at midfield or full forward. Look at how we match up physically overall with certain teams.

I agree that he's a good footballer and I'd like to see more of him in the next few months.

If we learned one thing from last year, and from the Mayo game especially, it is that we need players in key areas that are able to compete physically.
    We have all the skill in the world, but we are missing that physical presence in areas

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

Do they stream the McKenna cup games?

#roryout

Carroll in the team tonight. Good to see, hopefully it works out.

1-1 for Caolan Ward. Surprised Derry didn't have a plan to deal with him.

• Advertisement

This talk of not fielding is embarrassing and should be put to bed today. Such a stupid thing to be whinging on about.

We need to cop ourselves on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

This talk of not fielding is embarrassing and should be put to bed today. Such a stupid thing to be whinging on about.

We need to cop ourselves on.

had heard that this morning and the moaning Bonner was going on. Missing at max 13 players. How many are in the squad? Surely there is a squad of about 35 at this stage which is more than enough without having to resort to threats of roping in club players just to fulfil the fixture.

Its not like Donegal are unique in this, I know the hurling between Wexford and Kilkenny at the weekend could have both counties missing as many, however both seem happy as it gives a good chance to give the lower end of the squad a good run out. Dublin, yes even with their massive resources, were effectively playing a third string team in the O Byrne cup last year.

It just seems like a really strange thing to be getting so worked up over in January.

It's a farce of a competition anyway. Players don't want it, managers don't want it, fans don't want it.

I've no problem if DB wants to pull out of this on the weekend. If they think we're better off not playing in it and training instead that's good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

bruschi wrote: »
    had heard that this morning and the moaning Bonner was going on. Missing at max 13 players. How many are in the squad? Surely there is a squad of about 35 at this stage which is more than enough without having to resort to threats of roping in club players just to fulfil the fixture.

Its not like Donegal are unique in this, I know the hurling between Wexford and Kilkenny at the weekend could have both counties missing as many, however both seem happy as it gives a good chance to give the lower end of the squad a good run out. Dublin, yes even with their massive resources, were effectively playing a third string team in the O Byrne cup last year.

It just seems like a really strange thing to be getting so worked up over in January.
    To be fair, I think he's just using it as a stick to beat the competition with. He doesn't see the merit in the competition full stop. It isn't so much him looking for sympathy or getting excuses in or any of that; and I'm sure we will end up sending a team out to play the match. It's just a pointless competition that nobody gives a hoot about and I'd be amazed if a majority of the head coaches wouldn't be glad to see the back.

This happened when Donegal put forward the motion about Dublin playing 2 games in Croke Park also. It was met with comments along the lines of 'every other team having to get on with it, so why don't Donegal'. I feel like that misses the point. They aren't just raising it for us, they're raising it for everyone.More teams would stand to (potentially)benefit from it than just Donegal.

The fact that nobody else is saying anything about this joke of a competition existing isn't Bonner's fault, so I don't believe in criticising him for speaking his mind instead of gassing us all up with auld toot about how great a competition it is when really it's nothing only a burden. Bonner is right, there is no point having to put out a 3rd string team just to meet the competition requirements. The point of pre season is to prepare you for the season ahead, and it doesn't benefit anyone to start playing fellas who won't be within an asses roar of the panel once the championship starts.

That's just my two cents anyway!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

#roryout

Does anyone remember when Rory said we were facing a bleak future after he left us?

Does anyone remember when Rory said we were facing a bleak future after he left us?

.....and there was me wondering if there was anything good could be said for the McKenna Cup.

He does talk a lot of shlte, but he still has a long way to go to equal the pile he talked when he was with us.

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/sport/507598/donegal-will-not-field-against-monaghan-this-sunday.html

You'll be thrilled to know we don't have to go to Enniskillen on Sunday.

We have withdrawn. We’re getting a name for being a shower of whinging d***s. A total embarrassment is what that decision is. The Co Board should have stepped in and said we’ll play, get a team on the field and play it. I hope we are fined as much as they can fine us. An utterly ludicrous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭blowitupref

2017 Donegal U21s managed by Declan Bonner competes in the McKenna. 2020 Donegal seniors withdraw from the McKenna Cup with Bonner claiming they don't have the numbers to compete..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

We have withdrawn. We’re getting a name for being a shower of whinging d***s. A total embarrassment is what that decision is. The Co Board should have stepped in and said we’ll play, get a team on the field and play it. I hope we are fined as much as they can fine us. An utterly ludicrous decision.
    A name with whom? Are you being serious, you want your own county to be fined for not playing a pre season football match? Can't help but feel that's a tad overdramatic...

Advertisement