Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Well he was obviously bothered by it at the end of the Kerry game.

The fact that Declan came out and said he hoped to have everyone fit means that one or more won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

charlie14 wrote: »
    Rumours doing the rounds according to RTE.ie on Paddy McBrearty`s hamstring leaving him doubtful for Saturday.

I’ve heard this consistently since the Kerry game. He was 100% injured towards the end and had asked to come off. I’m not expecting him to play on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

It's obviously a blow, but I'd be confident that we could get by with either Oisin Gallen or Eoin McHugh (anyone at all really) this week, and Paddy would surely be back then for Dublin next week. The absolute stupidest thing we could do is play a half fit McBrearty who aggravates his injury and misses a potential semi-final against the Harlem Globetrotters.

moghrasa wrote:
    It's obviously a blow, but I'd be confident that we could get by with either Oisin Gallen or Eoin McHugh (anyone at all really) this week, and Paddy would surely be back then for Dublin next week. The absolute stupidest thing we could do is play a half fit McBrearty who aggravates his injury and misses a potential semi-final against the Harlem Globetrotters.

It's a bit early to be drinking.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    It's a bit early to be drinking.

It's 5 O'Clock somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

have we considered the possibility of beating Mayo by more than Kerry beat Meath? it's been portrayed as a clash between us and Mayo to finish second. Meath may have something to say about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Nothing we can do about what goes on in Navan but logic dictates you just win your own match and see where that gets you. Who's to say Tyrone won't top the other group so no point trying to figure out semi final fixtures - we just need to make sure we're in there.
    It's desperate luck if both Eoghan Ban and Paddy are missing at the same point again this year. It just makes a difficult task even tougher but all you can say is the way the lads reacted against Kerry gives us belief that the squad is ready for the challenge.

Ladjacket wrote:
    have we considered the possibility of beating Mayo by more than Kerry beat Meath? it's been portrayed as a clash between us and Mayo to finish second. Meath may have something to say about that

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hearing some reports that PMB is gone for at least a month and would also miss a final were we to get to one. Very disappointing.

Right so.

Paddy was left on, while Thompson, our other citeog free taker, in a pinch, was subbed for Leo on 69.

So two things here

Either he aggrevated whatever injury he picked up in training

or

This rumour suits Declan

I'm hopeful it's the latter.

Jason McGee looked in much worse shape coming off. Surely the biggest doubt.

• Advertisement

On a lighter note, hopefully the Banty/Rory dream ticket is for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miginz

Right so.

Paddy was left on, while Thompson, our other citeog free taker, in a pinch, was subbed for Leo on 69.

So two things here

Either he aggrevated whatever injury he picked up in training

or

This rumour suits Declan

I'm hopeful it's the latter.

Jason McGee looked in much worse shape coming off. Surely the biggest doubt.

Very reasonable second point... And hope you're right for our sake and Paddy's!

Jason looked goosed, no curing that in two weeks I'd have thought. I'd expect Hugh to be back and along with Michael, Langan and Thompson we should be OK in the middle.

We'll definitely have someone missing apart from EBG, just hope both the Paddy's are available, they're absolutely crucial for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/donegal-confident-that-patrick-mcbrearty-will-face-mayo/

Hmmm, the quote from Declan wouldn't give you much confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miginz

On a lighter note, hopefully the Banty/Rory dream ticket is for real.

I was hoping Richard would come in and make a hash of it but that terrible twosome could be equally as comical.

miginz wrote:
    I was hoping Richard would come in and make a hash of it but that terrible twosome could be equally as comical.

Well, they will need a runner... Banty ain't doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Well, they will need a runner... Banty ain't doing it...

Banty with Rory & Dick the Hash for runners. #Dreamteam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ok so I don't think we will know for certain if Paddy will start until tomorrow evening but the signs are that it's not looking good. Without Paddy I'm a lot less confident. If Gallen starts I think Mayo will really target him. There will be a lot of stuff going on tomorrow and I'm not sure he's ready for that just yet.
    In the backs, hopefully we have Paddy and Neil coming back in to replace Doherty and Ward. Daire might get the nod over Odhran this time around and if Jason is out I think Leo might come in but hopefully Jason is going to be ok.
    I'm more confident this year than I was at the same stage last year against Tyrone but you just know Mayo are going to be at it from the start so I'm just hoping our boys can get past that as I think we're the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Ok so I don't think we will know for certain if Paddy will start until tomorrow evening but the signs are that it's not looking good. Without Paddy I'm a lot less confident. If Gallen starts I think Mayo will really target him. There will be a lot of stuff going on tomorrow and I'm not sure he's ready for that just yet.
    In the backs, hopefully we have Paddy and Neil coming back in to replace Doherty and Ward. Daire might get the nod over Odhran this time around and if Jason is out I think Leo might come in but hopefully Jason is going to be ok.
    I'm more confident this year than I was at the same stage last year against Tyrone but you just know Mayo are going to be at it from the start so I'm just hoping our boys can get past that as I think we're the better team.

Also alot less confident. Seeing this post is bitter sweet. Getting kind of sick of alot of our supports confidence over the last few weeks. Hard to avoid them. Injuries taken into account and Mayo in Castlebar for a place in the Super 8s its a a nailed on 50/50 game if not 55/45 Mayo. Every year Mayo are finished yet every year they are knocking around a semi-final. By God I hope Im wrong. We have enough to win I hope. And a drawn game like the last one would surely lower my life expectancy another few years.

Tír Chonaill abú

If I read another 'hot-take' opinion piece from an ex player (looking at you, Peter Canavan) I think I might just explode. Somehow we have managed to drag out the following two topics of conversation for two whole weeks:

1) Donegal are better tactically and in terms of squad depth so they might win
    2) Mayo home fans are great so they might win

Barring injuries, these have been the only two topics of discussion for two weeks. Jesus Christ lads I'll probably collapse with relief when the ball is thrown in tomorrow evening.

Would have much preferred this game be last week and have two weeks to prepare for the semi instead but sure look it.

It won't be a landslide by any means but we'll edge it out by 2 or 3 I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think Mayo have something on us over the last few years and might edge it. Sometimes that’s the most likely indicator of the way it will go.

• Advertisement

If Clarke is out, this is not in our favour.

Yes, Hennelly might (emphasis on might) make a crucial mistake, but Clarke's restarts would (emphasis on would) be ****e.

Watching the Mayo v Meath game from the Hogan was like watching 2 bald keepers fighting over a comb. Awful stuff.

If the Mayo team starts as named at Goalkeeper and midfield, then it will be club mates kicking and catching.

One thing I absolutely loved watching against Kerry was how hard we worked to squeez their kick out. Considering he was missing David Moran, the keeper actually did OK. But eventually that pressure told and he started to crack. But for Paul Brennan, we might have shaded it because of the efforts made in the closing quarter.

So I was really looking forward to seeing Clarke face that tomorrow. It may not be the case now, but we'll see.

If Paddy McBrearty is out, or, not fit to play 60 minutes, then it's a disaster.

Much as I like the look of Oisin Gallen, it would be a massive step up to actually start a Championship match against a team like Mayo with a plethora of experienced defenders. If he was starting alongside Paddy, then fair enough, but I don't fancy him shouldering the burden. It also robs us of late impact on the bench.

Either way, a crushing blow if it comes to pass.

Jamie needs to step up again. I don't know if Barret or maybe Higgins will mark him but he is sure to watched as closely as he has been in the past few games. I know he has the talent and the attitude, we just need to work him into the game more, especially if Paddy is out.

If McGee and McFadden are fit, then Micheal will have a free role. If that's the case, I will be delighted too see anyone other than Keegan try to mark him. If they sacrafice him to mark Connolly, then surely they would do the same for Michael.

I assume Durcan will play and pick up Ryan.

Do we push someone onto Boyle? Maybe we should given his man of the match performances lately. Or, just don't kick the ball to him. Seems simple.

Remember that we lost Niall O'Donnell just as he was starting to motor the last day? Hopefully he is rearing to go tomorrow. If Paddy is out, he will need to be.

For the likes of McGee (if fit), Thompson and Langan, it is a big game. They all work hard enough and kick the odd score, but it's time to show you can get physical lads.

We got away with it against Kerry, but I don't want to see Doherty, Ward, Eoin McHugh or Paul Brennan unless the gage is as good as won.

2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 McMenamin
    5 OMCFF
    6 DOB
    7 Ryan

That's the only back line I want to see.

If Coen plays, and he is given ball to score with rather than lay off, then Neil can handle him. If he is just laying off, then we might struggle.

Paddy McGrath on Andy Moran if both start.

Genuinely excited to see who marks COC. McMenamin was able for Clifford by and large so can do the job. But what about OMCFF? The very man to attract a sneaky elbow that might be seen someday.

There are so many injuries and rumours that it's a really hard game to call. As well as that, I don't think anyone can argue that Mayo have looked good this Championship, other than in patches against Galway and for some of a half against Armagh. Its assumed, not unreasonably, they have a performance in them. They might, but can they sustain for 75 minutes? One thing I was hugely impressed with against Kerry was how we hung in there all the way. Look at how Armagh mismanaged the last few minutes against Mayo. I can't see us doing that.

We need to come out ready for an arm wrestle. No doubt Mayo will. We will then see if they are able for it.

Tír Chonaill Abú

Redsoxfan wrote:
    2 McGrath 3 N McGee 4 McMenamin 5 OMCFF 6 DOB 7 Ryan

Well, Ryan wearing 5 and OMCFF 7.

#declanout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

A few thoughts on the game.

Really important we don't concede an early goal and try and get a few points up after the first 15 mins. Keeping the mayo crowd quiet is important. I think they'll put Aidan o Shea on the edge of the square at some stage as happened before to great effect. I'm sure our management team has prepared for that. Mayo are sharp around the breaking ball so we need to be switched on for the high dropping ball.
    I can see them dropping off our kickouts at different stages hoping to get turn overs especially if the ball is wet. Of course Murphy and Mc Hugh are critical to the winning of the match but we can't be carrying any passengers today. Big test ahead especially for the younger lads. One or two points in it at the end I'd say.

We will worry about the 7 day turnaround later if we get through.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo are sharp around the breaking ball so we need to be switched on for the high dropping ball.

TBH I think Donegal will win this game and this will be a big factor in it. Mayo have been great in this area but not so much this year.

Doherty full back. 😰

Turn overs FFS

We'll have to work hard to get anything from this ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

We'll have to work hard to get anything from this ref

Absolute joke so far, Mayo can basically 'tackle' whatever way they want, we can't fart near them and its a free

Absolute joke so far, Mayo can basically 'tackle' whatever way they want, we can't fart near them and its a free

Wait to u see giving us a black card now

• Advertisement

More worryingly we look leggy

Advertisement