Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I think Charlie may be confusing what transpired with the previous management as opposed to Rochford?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,994 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

[/B]

What happened? I thought he didn't agree with the county boards plans so decided that it wasn't worth it for him. I didn't hear of any rumblings in the camp.

And what exactly were those county board plans ?
    He had already confirmed to the Mayo county chairman and the Mayo squad that he intended staying.
    You hadn`t heard the rumblings that James Horan had meet with certain members of the squad in the interim between Rochford confirming that he intended staying and the those mysterious county board plans either I presume.
    It was common knowledge in Mayo.
    Any chance perhaps that had a bearing on those new county board plans :rolleyes:

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think Charlie may be confusing what transpired with the previous management as opposed to Rochford?

No Pogue. Just following the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

charlie14 wrote: »
    And what exactly were those county board plans ?
    He had already confirmed to the Mayo county chairman and the Mayo squad that he intended staying.
    You hadn`t heard the rumblings that James Horan had meet with certain members of the squad in the interim between Rochford confirming that he intended staying and the those mysterious county board plans either I presume.
    It was common knowledge in Mayo.
    Any chance perhaps that had a bearing on those new county board plans :rolleyes:

Ah yes, common knowledge in Mayo. A few weeks ago it was "common knowledge" that David Clarke had walked from the panel and James Horan was no longer on speaking terms with Cillian O'Connor.

Anyone who heard the Mayo chairman speak after the Kildare defeat last year could tell he wasn't happy with Rochford, rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

charlie14 wrote:
    These are the same Mayo players that got him sacked from the Mayo job that resulted in him joining Donegal
    charlie14 wrote:
    And what exactly were those county board plans ? He had already confirmed to the Mayo county chairman and the Mayo squad that he intended staying. You hadn`t heard the rumblings that James Horan had meet with certain members of the squad in the interim between Rochford confirming that he intended staying and the those mysterious county board plans either I presume. It was common knowledge in Mayo. Any chance perhaps that had a bearing on those new county board plans
    I think you have your wires crossed.

Rochford wanted to stay and had the backing of the players.

The backroom team stepped down as they had been there for a few years. The county board didnt like the new backroom team Rochford assembled so he stepped down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

moghrasa wrote: »
    The politics of Mayo football makes me SICK!

*Angrily lobs Pen*

Jimmy??? :)

I think you have your wires crossed.

Rochford wanted to stay and had the backing of the players.

The backroom team stepped down as they had been there for a few years. The county board didnt like the new backroom team Rochford assembled so he stepped down.

Then I must have missed the players coming out and backing him.
    Strange that when they had no problem expressing their views on Noel Conneely and Pat Holmes just a few years earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

What time do you reckon you would need to set off from to be in Castlebar in good time for the match? For handiness we'd say from Letterkenny. Probably need to leave about 12:30 or 13:00 would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Ah yes, common knowledge in Mayo. A few weeks ago it was "common knowledge" that David Clarke had walked from the panel and James Horan was no longer on speaking terms with Cillian O'Connor.

Anyone who heard the Mayo chairman speak after the Kildare defeat last year could tell he wasn't happy with Rochford, rightly or wrongly.

The county board expressed no confidence in Rochford and pushed him out without having any contingency plan for what would happen afterwards. That's actually what happened and what is common knowledge. And it's an issue that goes beyond Rochford and up to Mike Connelly's role as chairman and his over involvement with the county set up and conflict of interest with previous management.

It's not as scandalous a story as those uppity players were in cahoots with Horan to overthrow Rochford, certainly not something Joe Brolly would be interested in writing about, but the meddling of the county board in several different management teams over the years is no secret, and it's not actually a secret that they did their best again to undermine yet another manager.

I wish all the best to Rochford in his new role. I'm sure he's not driving up to Donegal for the good of his health. He certainly doesn't owe anyone on that county board a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What time do you reckon you would need to set off from to be in Castlebar in good time for the match? For handiness we'd say from Letterkenny. Probably need to leave about 12:30 or 13:00 would you?

I'd be allowing 3 hours anyway.

It'll be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

If you want a seat in the stand you will probably need to stay in Castlebar on the Friday.

Hmm. Have I wandered into the Mayo thread?

Who cares why Rochford left. He found a good home.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:

How many steps did you take?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

The politics of Mayo football makes me SICK!

*Angrily lobs Pen*

good auld Jimmy Sloyan, God i hope i meet him in Castlebar!!

Stoner wrote:
    How many steps did you take?

13 or so.

But only after I moved the ball forward 25 yards.

Up Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Who cares why Rochford left. He found a good home.

It was one of ye who started it! 😀

Ha, yer man spends as much time in t'other thread.

A modern day Martin Carney it has to be said.

PressRun wrote: »
    It was one of ye who started it! ��

Not really. It was a begrudging Kerry man.:D

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Ha, yer man spends as much time in t'other thread.

A modern day Martin Carney it has to be said.

The interest in and and contacts in Mayo football of "yer man" may not go back as far as Martin Carney`s, but they go back over 30 years.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Not getting any response to this over in the Mayo thread, but is this game actually sold out now? Been trying since wednesday for a ticket and no luck. Havent heard anything on social media about it being sold out yet either.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Not getting any response to this over in the Mayo thread, but is this game actually sold out now? Been trying since wednesday for a ticket and no luck. Havent heard anything on social media about it being sold out yet either.

It's not officially sold out yet. The club allocations still have to be distributed. Any unused tickets from that will be put on general sale early next week.

There's also talk of bumping up the capacity slightly. If that happens, I assume some more tickets will be put on general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    It's not officially sold out yet. The club allocations still have to be distributed. Any unused tickets from that will be put on general sale early next week.

There's also talk of bumping up the capacity slightly. If that happens, I assume some more tickets will be put on general sale.

Will extra tickets be available in SuperValu, Centra or on GAA Tickets.IE ?.

agfasfos wrote: »
    Will extra tickets be available in SuperValu, Centra or on GAA Tickets.IE ?.

Yes, any that are returned from the clubs will be available there and I assume it will be the same if the capacity is increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d imagine they will get the capacity lifted to around 30000.

Big week ahead. Whoever wins has such a quick turnaround to the SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

*He whose football induces* Vomit has stepped down in Fermanagh.

Would you have him back? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Vomit has stepped down in Fermanagh.

Would you have him back? :D

Can’t imagine that a lot of counties will be chasing him, I presume it’s RG you’re talking about 😙.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Hopefully we play as well with David Gough refereeing this weekend as we did last time

Has to be Monaghan.

A great fit, it has to be said.

Rumours doing the rounds according to RTE.ie on Paddy McBrearty`s hamstring leaving him doubtful for Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

charlie14 wrote: »
    Rumours doing the rounds according to RTE.ie on Paddy McBrearty`s hamstring leaving him doubtful for Saturday.

Ah shtop

Advertisement