Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Mark McHugh is not the answer.

Naoise is too small in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭doc_17

Apparently Mark is playing savage stuff all year. Saw first hand on two occasions how well he is playing.

Need to find a few players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »
    Apparently Mark is playing savage stuff all year. Saw first hand on two occasions how well he is playing.

Need to find a few players.

He’s been far and away the best club player in the county this year. He could quite easily come back in but I don’t think he really offers much more to the county set up. Stand to be corrected of course he would bulk up and be an option for breaking ball etc or wing forward again perhaps - but I doubt it.

The focus should be on those players who didn’t commit this year. Odhran is an absolute necessity, Michael Carroll needs to be roped in, Cian Mulligan also (no GD emphasis here just they’re the first few I thought of off the top of my head). Conor Morrison too.

There’s not whole pile else around the county to my mind that isn’t involved in a county panel already who won’t be on the radar.

Kieran Gillespie of course is the one wild card. If he can get back playing with the club this year and get a good pre season with donegal it’ll be a great addition.

Was Gillespie doing the warm up on Saturday? Someone said that to me yesterday. Didn’t notice it myself.

Cian Mulligan also

Aye. Proper impact of the bench. Possible starter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

He’s been far and away the best club player in the county this year. He could quite easily come back in but I don’t think he really offers much more to the county set up. Stand to be corrected of course he would bulk up and be an option for breaking ball etc or wing forward again perhaps - but I doubt it.

The focus should be on those players who didn’t commit this year. Odhran is an absolute necessity, Michael Carroll needs to be roped in, Cian Mulligan also (no GD emphasis here just they’re the first few I thought of off the top of my head). Conor Morrison too.

There’s not whole pile else around the county to my mind that isn’t involved in a county panel already who won’t be on the radar.

Kieran Gillespie of course is the one wild card. If he can get back playing with the club this year and get a good pre season with donegal it’ll be a great addition.

I would add Kieran Gallagher to that list aswell. A serious option at midfield and full forward.

Micheal Carroll is an interesting one, he has the physique and athleticism of a James Mc Carthy/Lee Keegan type player. I'd like to see him tried out at half back. I'd rather see him coming on in that position than Paul Brennan anyway. He may need to have a good chat with Bonner first though to get back on the panel.

Murt15 wrote:
    I would add Kieran Gallagher to that list aswell. A serious option at midfield and full forward.

Now there is a name I had forgotten.

Last i saw of him he was playing at midfield with Jason McGee for the Minors in 2016 (?) I think he had a stormer in Ulster Semi Final and then OK in Final. Looked like our own Brian Fenton...

But after that? Has he been playing U20? I can't recall - would have been underage when we played Cavan in Derry?

Any time I have read club reports he seems to be played at full forward.

Probably need him more at midfield.

Looking at the line up from the U21 Semi Final in 2017, 12 of the outfield have already played for the Seniors under Bonner. Possibly more in McKenna Cup etc.

We need to see more from the likes of McCole, McClenaghan and hopefully Stephen McBrearty.....

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Now there is a name I had forgotten.

Last i saw of him he was playing at midfield with Jason McGee for the Minors in 2016 (?) I think he had a stormer in Ulster Semi Final and then OK in Final. Looked like our own Brian Fenton...

But after that? Has he been playing U20? I can't recall - would have been underage when we played Cavan in Derry?

Any time I have read club reports he seems to be played at full forward.

Probably need him more at midfield.

Looking at the line up from the U21 Semi Final in 2017, 12 of the outfield have already played for the Seniors under Bonner. Possibly more in McKenna Cup etc.

We need to see more from the likes of McCole, McClenaghan and hopefully Stephen McBrearty.....

He wouldn't commit to the U20's last year, he may have also declined an offer from Bonner last autumn aswell. He's a player I would rate on par with J Mc Gee.

Murt15 wrote:
    He wouldn't commit to the U20's last year, he may have also declined an offer from Bonner last autumn aswell. He's a player I would rate on par with J Mc Gee.

What's he up to? Away in college? Reading about Caolan Ward bussing it from Carlow I can see why it isn't for everyone.

What's he up to? Away in college? Reading about Caolan Ward bussing it from Carlow I can see why it isn't for everyone.

Not sure what he does but he's in the states for the summer anyway.

It's some commitment alright. Over the past 12 months alone a large number of players have left the panel for one reason or another - MA Mc Ginley, Morrison, Mc Clenaghan, Thompson, Mc Hugh, O Reilly, Mullins, C. Mc Ginley, Mc Elhinney, Mc Brearty, Carroll, Mulligan, Mc Nelis, O Connor. At least 9 of them played in the championship last year. We are all hoping that the squad will get significantly stronger over the winter but the worry is are all of this years panel even going to be about again for next reason.

• Advertisement

What's the story I wonder? Aside from maybe MacNiallais, none of those you have mentioned would be guaranteed to start as far as I can see. But most would be on the bench and see some playing time.

MAMG is playing with Harps. I believe Marty O'Reilly is trying to run a business. Mullins... pity it didn't work out but easy to see why he would quit. McClenaghan - injured? McElhinney, not happy to be a squad player? Gaoth Dobhair players... Played a lot of ball the last 12 months.

But seems in most cases players just not happy to commit if only in squad vs starting?

Seems Paddy McGrath has a 'serious knee injury' according to Harry Walsh.

What's the story I wonder? Aside from maybe MacNiallais, none of those you have mentioned would be guaranteed to start as far as I can see. But most would be on the bench and see some playing time.

MAMG is playing with Harps. I believe Marty O'Reilly is trying to run a business. Mullins... pity it didn't work out but easy to see why he would quit. McClenaghan - injured? McElhinney, not happy to be a squad player? Gaoth Dobhair players... Played a lot of ball the last 12 months.

But seems in most cases players just not happy to commit if only in squad vs starting?

Yeah id say most aren't happy just being squad players alright. Mulligan and S.Mc.Brearty didn't even make the 26 for last years QF v Tyrone so maybe explains why they didn't make themselves available again this year. I seen Mc Clenaghan make a brief Mc Kenna cup appearance at the start of the year but not sure what happened him since. He'd be a better option than Doherty and Brennan.

I see your news there about Mc Grath. Looking forward we are definitely going to have bother in the full back line. Can't think of any standout young full/corner backs coming through? Maybe Mark Curran and Aaron Deeney?

Murt15 wrote: »
    Yeah id say most aren't happy just being squad players alright. Mulligan and S.Mc.Brearty didn't even make the 26 for last years QF v Tyrone so maybe explains why they didn't make themselves available again this year. I seen Mc Clenaghan make a brief Mc Kenna cup appearance at the start of the year but not sure what happened him since. He'd be a better option than Doherty and Brennan.

I see your news there about Mc Grath. Looking forward we are definitely going to have bother in the full back line. Can't think of any standout young full/corner backs coming through? Maybe Mark Curran and Aaron Deeney?

Conor O’Donnell. Just a balls he’s blown his knee out.

Speaking of defenders who have blown a knee out..... Paddy McGrath has done his cruciate too. What a terrible shame that is, heart goes out to him.

How the **** was Paddy McGrath allowed to stay on last Saturday after getting treatment for so long?

Was similar with Paddy McBrearty in last year's Ulster Final iirc.

Is it that hard to ascertain that it's a serious injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

How the **** was Paddy McGrath allowed to stay on last Saturday after getting treatment for so long?

Was similar with Paddy McBrearty in last year's Ulster Final iirc.

Is it that hard to ascertain that it's a serious injury?

We're very short of good defenders. Worrying for next year as we were very open at the back this year.

We're very short of good defenders. Worrying for next year as we were very open at the back this year.

Two different issues IMHO.

You can have good defenders, but a system that exposes them.

Meath are a perfect example of this (if you buy into the notion that they have good defenders).

I am not sure on how good some of our defenders are, but the issues start higher up the field as well.

Just saw the game there for the first time since watching it in Castlebar. Durian should have black carded in the 2nd min for a 3rd man tackle on Hugh.

But Donegal were so lethargic. Sat back and watched things happen rather than get stuck in. Timid performance either by the management in telling them to stand off or by the players in not getting stuck in. Murphy continues to be the lion. Any pundit, and Declan as well, from Donegal that I’ve heard this week is saying “I can’t put my finger on it” must be blind.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Just saw the game there for the first time since watching it in Castlebar. Durian should have black carded in the 2nd min for a 3rd man tackle on Hugh.

But Donegal were so lethargic. Sat back and watched things happen rather than get stuck in. Timid performance either by the management in telling them to stand off or by the players in not getting stuck in. Murphy continues to be the lion. Any pundit, and Declan as well, from Donegal that I’ve heard this week is saying “I can’t put my finger on it” must be blind.

Weather, injuries, inexperienced side and tactics may also have contributed to it. Still believe we're short of 3/4 players. Take Murphy out if that team. Well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

Yea really feel it was multiples of things. We have a young light pacy team who want to run with the ball. Tackles on a wet day don't add up and mayo brought a big physicality.
    But we were lethargic, we weren't even close to challenging for breaking balls.

In saying that I think if we took the lead we could have pressed on and won it and but for some poor snap shots that was doable. Mayo got back into it.

Rochford piece today suggesting he is happy as coach. Hopefully stays on. Nice note that we had 4 over 26 vs mayo 9 over 29.... Those 4 are pretty intrinsic though. Some are pretty intrinsic though which not much left in the tank...

Dublin v Mayo went as I expected. I.e Mayo to flood bodies around and play with huge hunger and intensity and then die off. Didn’t expect their usual capitulation to happen so soon mind you.

In terms of donegal, the more I think about it the more I think that castlebar was a badly needed lesson in terms of what’s required for business end championship. This Mayo side have been there and done it time and time again and we weren’t ready to match it. We didn’t deserve a crack at the dubs so hopefully we take our lesson from that to push on next year.

Over to Kerry now to beat that other shower and get to the final so we can enjoy it as neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Being at the Mayo vs Dublin match today made me quietly grateful we didn't meet Dublin. It would've been a massacre.

Seeing some of Mannion's points up close today was incredible - his quailty is frightening. Con O'Callaghan's ability to move quickly, catch ball and take his chances is jaw dropping at times. No other team in the country is even close to them and I really don't think that's even debatable at this point.

In terms of donegal, the more I think about it the more I think that castlebar was a badly needed lesson in terms of what’s required for business end championship. This Mayo side have been there and done it time and time again and we weren’t ready to match it. We didn’t deserve a crack at the dubs so hopefully we take our lesson from that to push on next year.

This.

It was a very poor performance. Hopefully we learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭henke

We are improving and we all hope we get closer in the next few years but that spell from Dublin just after half time was scary that it is a bit disheartening. We didn't do so bad to avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Watching both semi-finals (but particularly today's) it's hard not to think that Donegal could have brought something had they made it through the Super 8s. No complaints about the result but it's a shame Mayo's best performance of the season coincided with Donegal's poorest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

dog_pig wrote: »
    Watching both semi-finals (but particularly today's) it's hard not to think that Donegal could have brought something had they made it through the Super 8s. No complaints about the result but it's a shame Mayo's best performance of the season coincided with Donegal's poorest.
    It was always going to be their big performance. Team written off, 30,000 of a home crowd in a winner takes all game after their first rest week in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭henke

Might be a biased because it has worked against us but I think the provincial champion should get two home games in the Super 8s. Tyrone x2 Monaghan Mayo all made the last 4 between this season and last from back door. Pre 2001 it was 100% advantage to provincial champion as it the only way to win AI. Then the advantage lessened but still an advantage and with this iteration of the championship the advantage has lessened again to the point any advantage is minimal if at all. Now this is if the 8s are kept. I hope to god they are scrapped.

Well at least thon tramps are gone.

Nice to be able to enjoy the final.

Let's say that they're not good enough. Otherwise let everything else rest. Kerry are no angels.

On the final. Bar a tsunami or a similar apocalypse I can't see past Dublin.

• Advertisement

All happening in Division 2 at the minute.Big win for Ardara yesterday against St Nauls, puts them 3 clear with 3 games left.

Killybegs dropped points at home to Dungloe. So it’s Ardara on 22, Killybegs on 19, St Nauls on 19, Ballyshannon on 17.

Ballyshannon play Killybegs at home next with a better scoring difference and then St Nauls away so feasibly anyone of the chasing 3 can go up.

Tight at the bottom too, Buncrana travel to glen on Sunday and if they lose they’re back to division 3 pending an absolute collapse further up the league.

It’s a good league this. Handy to have something competitive still going now the county team are out and before the championship starts given division 1’s done and dusted.

Advertisement