Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

agfasfos wrote:
    anyone know what players will have recovered from injuries.

I doubt anyone posting here knows. Everything is speculation about who is fit. Generally easier to find out who is not fit.
    agfasfos wrote:
    Player for player we’re better than Mayo

Are we? That's debatable. We are showing better form in the Championship, and until last week, we were doing better with respect to injuries, but losing EBG gives Mayo the edge at half back and probably midfield. You could also argue they have a decent full back line, in the corners anyway. A lot comes down to how fit some of there players are.

agfasfos wrote:
    For football’s sake the the 4 teams to make it through should be, Dublin, Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone. Probably the top four in the country.

Whoever wins in Castlebar can justifiably say they are top 4, and if Mayo beat us, they will be in as good a position to give whoever they meet in the semi final a game. I don't think we have to win for football's sake, let's just win for our own sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I doubt anyone posting here knows. Everything is speculation about who is fit. Generally easier to find out who is not fit.

Are we? That's debatable. We are showing better form in the Championship, and until last week, we were doing better with respect to injuries, but losing EBG gives Mayo the edge at half back and probably midfield. You could also argue they have a decent full back line, in the corners anyway. A lot comes down to how fit some of there players are.

Whoever wins in Castlebar can justifiably say they are top 4, and if Mayo beat us, they will be in as good a position to give whoever they meet in the semi final a game. I don't think we have to win for football's sake, let's just win for our own sake!

I just don’t think Mayo have it in them this year but I could be wrong, fingers crossed all goes well for us on the day, no matter what Donegal have been a revelation this year with their style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

agfasfos wrote:
    I just don’t think Mayo have it in them this year but I could be wrong, fingers crossed all goes well for us on the day, no matter what Donegal have been a revelation this year with their style of play.

Absolutely.

When you think where we were before Declan took over.

Definitely going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

charlie14 wrote: »
    Perhaps it`s Croke Park you should really be getting on to rather than Donegal supporters about referees and linesmen not ensuring free kicks and line balls are taken from the correct spot.
    But before you do, maybe best to remember for the sake of whatever team you support the caveat "People who live in glass houses............." :)

I have no idea why you are taking this so personally, it was a mere observation, an undisputable one at that, and i am a little confused over your last comment, are you suggesting that I have at some stage taken a free or a sideline from the incorrect position or perhaps you dont actually know what a 'caveat' means and were trying to sound smart?

Who is this mystical 'croke park' that I should contact btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

agfasfos wrote: »

They always have it in them. This is exactly what they do, stumble along and then raise their game against better opposition. We’re in better form etc but this is really a 50/50 game and will come down to performance on the day.

It will be very hard to take if we fall at the final hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They always have it in them. This is exactly what they do, stumble along and then raise their game against better opposition. We’re in better form etc but this is really a 50/50 game and will come down to performance on the day.

It will be very hard to take if we fall at the final hurdle.

Speaking from a Mayo point of view that may have been the case in the past but it does not look like it is the case this year.

Sure they did it as recently as 2017 when they came back into life with the Roscommon replay, but this year is different.

They have been blighted by injuries, and not just any injuries, injuries to key players.

They are older, and they have been playing week on week, and they have not been playing well.

They did not raise their game v Kerry, the opposite actually,they were totally flat.

Donegal are a much improved team, they have good energy to them, they remind me of the Mayo of the mid decade, strong, energetic, young.

If I were a Donegal fan I'd be awfully pissed if the season ended in Castlebar in few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wonder if Donegal win will they play Dublin on the saturday or the sunday of semi final weekend? I am considering going to it as a neutral as I think there would be an upset. That would actually be the first Donegal game i've been to since 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Speaking from a Mayo point of view that may have been the case in the past but it does not look like it is the case this year.

Sure they did it as recently as 2017 when they came back into life with the Roscommon replay, but this year is different.

They have been blighted by injuries, and not just any injuries, injuries to key players.

They are older, and they have been playing week on week, and they have not been playing well.

They did not raise their game v Kerry, the opposite actually,they were totally flat.

Donegal are a much improved team, they have good energy to them, they remind me of the Mayo of the mid decade, strong, energetic, young.

If I were a Donegal fan I'd be awfully pissed if the season ended in Castlebar in few weeks.

Over the past few years watching Mayo and seeing these predictions from the media and others predicting the demise of Mayo the expression "It`s not the size of the dog in the fight, it`s the size of the fight in the dog" has always come to mind.
    If there is one think this Mayo team has shown it`s that they have fight.

When it comes to injuries we are both heading in to this one not knowing how either of us are with injuries, but regardless I am expecting this game to be a real dog-fight of knock-out championship football.

I for one would not be pissed off if we did not win in Castlebar provided it was fair and square where the better team won with no major referring blunders. Naturally I would be disappointed if we did lose, but with where we have come from less than two years ago to where we are now I would look at as a major on-going improvement and hopefully a bright future ahead.

Btw Fr Tod, I am in no way insinuating that you may be talking down Mayo attempting to lull us into a false sense of confidence. You have expressed the same sentiments for some time on the Mayo forum as well.

I wonder if Donegal win will they play Dublin on the saturday or the sunday of semi final weekend? I am considering going to it as a neutral as I think there would be an upset. That would actually be the first Donegal game i've been to since 2002.

Would be reasonably confident going on fixtures/TV in both codes this year that the Dublin Semi will be on the Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The fixtures haven't been confirmed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Would you not give Tyrone any chance against Dublin in the last Super 8 match.
    In Omagh.
    I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Mike Quirke on the Second Captain's podcast said that Gallen has "balls the size of an elephant" to take on the scores he did as a young fella.

Brilliant line.

Maybe thats why hes called Fara, after Mo Farah-according to Canning, like his father and grandfather were before him. Clairvoyant crowd round Ballybofey.

Not Cannings only shocker on Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Would you not give Tyrone any chance against Dublin in the last Super 8 match.
    In Omagh.
    I would.

Maybe, I could go to that but I don't like Tyrone football for various reasons, it costs £90 to go to an AI semi final in total from south derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The fixtures haven't been confirmed yet.

I contacted Mayo GAA and was told they woudnt be confirmed until this weekend or early next week

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I am saying it is wrong that it is not policed correctly, I am not saying the players are wrong to do it. In fact to not do it would be incredibly naieve.

I am saying that they are being defensive as in they are interpreting it as some sort of slight against Murphy.

If nobody should have to answer why a player does soemthing maybe we should simply close down boards altogether perhaps??

Anyone who doesnt think taking a kick from 10 yards closer to teh goals isnt an advantage is either a liar or simply doesnt understand physics!

McBrearty and Clifford both stole at least 5 yards in from the side down at canal end, makeing the frees alot more scorable.

I do think its past time to enforce the position of free kicks out of the hand-id favour the old shaving foam myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭dog_pig

As I said I dont have access to either currently, merely pointing out the actual demensions being referenced.

So why then are you offering your opinion on something you don't have access to and cannot verify yourself?

harpsman wrote: »
    McBrearty and Clifford both stole at least 5 yards in from the side down at canal end, makeing the frees alot more scorable.

I do think its past time to enforce the position of free kicks out of the hand-id favour the old shaving foam myself.

It's such a simple 'infringement' to erradicate it baffles me why there seems to be no appetite to tackle it. The only reason I can think of is that in general a free taken from the hand will be taken quicker, enforcing the kick to be taken from the correct place would probably lead to an increase in kicks from the ground and thus slow the game down.

dog_pig wrote: »
    So why then are you offering your opinion on something you don't have access to and cannot verify yourself?

I have given my opinion because this is an actual discussion board, where incredibly people offer their opinions on topics, shock horror!

Are you trying to say that Murphy took the free from the correfct position or are you disputing my 'opinion' - its a fact actually - that the distance from the edge of the D to the goals is 33 metres?

Please forgive my confusion , becasue you dont actually appear to be saying anything :confused:

After Sunday assuming most of our injuries recover I would be fairly confident of a Donegal win. I think on current form they're a level above Mayo, and I just don't see Mayo being able to raise it that much in 2 weeks. TBH I'm actually wondering can we still beat Kerry on points difference-I don't like this level of confidence-it usually ends in tears:mad:

Having said that I thought we'd lose to kerry and Tyrone so my opinion not worth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think they should bring in the shaving foam but also bring in a rule that every free is brough 13 metres closer to goal from where the foul occurred.
    Punish those who commit fouls a bit more and the amount of fouls will decrease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I have given my opinion because this is an actual discussion board, where incredibly people offer their opinions on topics, shock horror!

Are you trying to say that Murphy took the free from the correfct position or are you disputing my 'opinion' - its a fact actually - that the distance from the edge of the D to the goals is 33 metres?

Please forgive my confusion , becasue you dont actually appear to be saying anything :confused:

The person you were referencing in the first place was incorrect, as has been confirmed in the last few pages of this thread.

Given that you admitted yourself you had no way to verify whether he was right or wrong what exactly were you bringing to the discussion by arguing with people who did have access to footage of the match and could easily determine the distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

After Sunday assuming most of our injuries recover I would be fairly confident of a Donegal win. I think on current form they're a level above Mayo, and I just don't see Mayo being able to raise it that much in 2 weeks. TBH I'm actually wondering can we still beat Kerry on points difference-I don't like this level of confidence-it usually ends in tears:mad:

Having said that I thought we'd lose to kerry and Tyrone so my opinion not worth much.

I'd be surprised if ye don't beat Mayo - while ye have a few injuries/knocks Mayo probably have more and there seems to be a serious tiredness/weariness throughout the Mayo team. I think the 2 weeks is going to help Donegal more than Mayo. I think where it's really going to tell is in the 2nd half - really wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the Meath Mayo game where down the home straight Mayo have nothing in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Anyone see the Dara o Shea article in the times today Wednesday. His antipathy towards Donegal and Rochford knows no bounds - a one man Michael Murphy team. Obviously hoping for mayo win. Reminds me of Brolly piece when his arch nemesis Tyrone were playing Kerry in 2012.

Also I his Wednesday piece immediately after our win in 2012. Unbelievably begrudging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

😱

dog_pig wrote: »
    The person you were referencing in the first place was incorrect, as has been confirmed in the last few pages of this thread.

Given that you admitted yourself you had no way to verify whether he was right or wrong what exactly were you bringing to the discussion by arguing with people who did have access to footage of the match and could easily determine the distance?

But the part of his point that I refernenced was correct, I full admitted I had no idea where the free was awarded from merley confirmed that the distance from the tip of the D to the goal is 33m - I can write this in one or two further languages if you are struggling with it??

Again I will ask you, are you disputing the 'fact' that I presented?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Right guys, could we drop this free position stuff please and stick to the main topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Anyone see the Dara o Shea article in the times today Wednesday. His antipathy towards Donegal and Rochford knows no bounds - a one man Michael Murphy team. Obviously hoping for mayo win. Reminds me of Brolly piece when his arch nemesis Tyrone were playing Kerry in 2012.

Also I his Wednesday piece immediately after our win in 2012. Unbelievably begrudging.

I saw it. From reading it and some of Keane the Kerry manager`s mutterings after the game it sounds is if we may have deflated Kerry`s balloon somewhat.
    I found O`Sé`s piece on Rochford strange.

He was calling for Mayo players to get motivation from the fact that Rochford is now with Donegal, as if he somehow believes they were let down by him joining us.
    If anyone should have motivation in this it`s Rochford. These are the same Mayo players that got him sacked from the Mayo job that resulted in him joining Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I saw it. From reading it and some of Keane the Kerry manager`s mutterings after the game it sounds is if we may have deflated Kerry`s balloon somewhat.
    I found O`Sé`s piece on Rochford strange.

He was calling for Mayo players to get motivation from the fact that Rochford is now with Donegal, as if he somehow believes they were let down by him joining us.
    If anyone should have motivation in this it`s Rochford. These are the same Mayo players that got him sacked from the Mayo job that resulted in him joining Donegal

What happened? I thought he didn't agree with the county boards plans so decided that it wasn't worth it for him. I didn't hear of any rumblings in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

[/B]

What happened? I thought he didn't agree with the county boards plans so decided that it wasn't worth it for him. I didn't hear of any rumblings in the camp.

The politics of Mayo football makes me SICK!

*Angrily lobs Pen*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

These are the same Mayo players that got him sacked from the Mayo job that resulted in him joining Donegal

That's not what happened at all but go off.

Advertisement