Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,911 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    It’ll come down to the last kick I’d say in Castlebar

Stop Doc.

Another last kick required so soon after yesterday and I would need a Doc for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

We've a 100% record in Castlebar. 03 versus galway.

Thought it was a super performance yesterday. Obviously Murphy and McHugh were superb but thought a lot of the younger players like Langan, O'Baoill and Gallen really stepped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

The reality is Donegal or Mayo are going to be playing Dublin in a semi final and Kerry are going to be playing Tyrone.d

I can see a Dublin v Kerry final but wouldn’t it be great if Donegal got through and knocked out Dublin in the semi like in 2014!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We've a 100% record in Castlebar. 03 versus galway.

Ha. Good point. I had forgotten all about that game. I thought our last draw at this stage was against Dublin in 2002.

Didn't make the Galway game in Castlebar. Living in Dublin and wouldn't have my first car until that September.

conor05 wrote: »
    The reality is Donegal or Mayo are going to be playing Dublin in a semi final and Kerry are going to be playing Tyrone.d

I can see a Dublin v Kerry final but wouldn’t it be great if Donegal got through and knocked out Dublin in the semi like in 2014!!

Not if like 2014 we then lost to Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Mayo poster here, I come in peace.... Stayed for the Donegal Kerry game yesterday and was on the edge of my seat for it. Was rooting for Kerry for no reason other than we needed them to win for us (or draw). Have to say both teams were so skillful and tuned in and a joy to watch. Basically what I am getting at is, if Donegal do come to Castlebar and end up in a semi final, for the love of god will ye please beat the Dubs for us. I think thats a fair compromise..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

conor05 wrote: »

Absolutely not :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Mayo poster here, I come in peace.... Stayed for the Donegal Kerry game yesterday and was on the edge of my seat for it. Was rooting for Kerry for no reason other than we needed them to win for us (or draw). Have to say both teams were so skillful and tuned in and a joy to watch. Basically what I am getting at is, if Donegal do come to Castlebar and end up in a semi final, for the love of god will ye please beat the Dubs for us. I think thats a fair compromise..

Eh no its not -:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

dunnerc wrote:
    Eh no its not -

It is of course 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Dust has settled. I was a bit disappointed leaving on Sunday because thought we had shaded it. In hindsight, a draw was definitely the right result. Kerry had the better of the first half and we had the better of the 2nd. Both teams left relatively easy scores behind them. Off the top of my head we missed 2 shocking point chances in the first half and the disallowed goal was an absolute cock up. On the other side you'd expect Clifford to have finished that goal chance, Sean O'Se missed a handy score etc so in fairness it was even enough throughout.

Given that we were missing 3 of our 'best' starting 6, lost our 2 starting midfielders, and lost our center forward to a pathetic refereeing decision we've actually showed serious resilience, and while some of the replacements lack the quality needed to be starters they largely got stuck in which is promising, and that game will bring them on a huge amount. It was only really Paul Brennan who weakened us, he was very poor when he came on and was directly responsible for giving away 2 scores, and had a stupid attempt at a point at an angle on on the outside of his foot, that score was never on and the ball should have been recycled. That's a 3 point swing which could have been fatal in a game that tight and that's just not good enough.

Patton was great again, Murphy and McHugh were just exceptional. McMenamin did very, very well marking a guy of clifford's sheer class. But this was a tough game and even the like of Paddy who was well marked, showed well as did the lads like Langan who stepped up with 2 big scores. Gallen was great too.

A draw a fair reflection and that game should bring us on alot. But it could count for very little in 2 weeks. More to follow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Mike Quirke on the Second Captain's podcast said that Gallen has "balls the size of an elephant" to take on the scores he did as a young fella.

Brilliant line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Dust has settled. I was a bit disappointed leaving on Sunday because thought we had shaded it. In hindsight, a draw was definitely the right result. Kerry had the better of the first half and we had the better of the 2nd. Both teams left relatively easy scores behind them. Off the top of my head we missed 2 shocking point chances in the first half and the disallowed goal was an absolute cock up. On the other side you'd expect Clifford to have finished that goal chance, Sean O'Se missed a handy score etc so in fairness it was even enough throughout.

Given that we were missing 3 of our 'best' starting 6, lost our 2 starting midfielders, and lost our center forward to a pathetic refereeing decision we've actually showed serious resilience, and while some of the replacements lack the quality needed to be starters they largely got stuck in which is promising, and that game will bring them on a huge amount. It was only really Paul Brennan who weakened us, he was very poor when he came on and was directly responsible for giving away 2 scores, and had a stupid attempt at a point at an angle on on the outside of his foot, that score was never on and the ball should have been recycled. That's a 3 point swing which could have been fatal in a game that tight and that's just not good enough.

Patton was great again, Murphy and McHugh were just exceptional. McMenamin did very, very well marking a guy of clifford's sheer class. But this was a tough game and even the like of Paddy who was well marked, showed well as did the lads like Langan who stepped up with 2 big scores. Gallen was great too.

A draw a fair reflection and that game should bring us on alot. But it could count for very little in 2 weeks. More to follow....

Was at the match on Sunday. Obviously you miss some of the finer details as opposed to watching it on TV. Just saw the Donegal lad's black card there on youtube.

What an awful decision. It didn't look anything like what the black card was introduced for. I'd love to know what was the referee's interpretation. Obviously wasn't a trip. And how could it be a pulldown if the Kerry fellow was coming towards him, or slightly to the side. No difference than 100s of forwards tackle - stick out the hand thinking that they will stop a grown man's momentum - like Geaney's on Jamie Brennan at the end. Difference was that Paul Murphy is small and was actually bending down so Donegal player caught him on the head. And Murphy goes down like a tonne of bricks.
    If you stop the play where the last free took place, and compare to where M Murphy actually kicks the ball. The misdemeanour took place about 5 metres from the 50 metre line. When he kicked the ball for the free, he was on the tip of the D. It's about 15 metres of a gain.

Hope the ref/linesmen in Castlebar are a little more clued in.

Was at the match on Sunday. Obviously you miss some of the finer details as opposed to watching it on TV. Just saw the Donegal lad's black card there on youtube.

What an awful decision. It didn't look anything like what the black card was introduced for. I'd love to know what was the referee's interpretation. Obviously wasn't a trip. And how could it be a pulldown if the Kerry fellow was coming towards him, or slightly to the side. No difference than 100s of forwards tackle - stick out the hand thinking that they will stop a grown man's momentum - like Geaney's on Jamie Brennan at the end. Difference was that Paul Murphy is small and was actually bending down so Donegal player caught him on the head. And Murphy goes down like a tonne of bricks.
    If you stop the play where the last free took place, and compare to where M Murphy actually kicks the ball. The misdemeanour took place about 5 metres from the 50 metre line. When he kicked the ball for the free, he was on the tip of the D. It's about 15 metres of a gain.

O`Donnell`s black looked like nothing more to me than the ref thinking he may have got the Gavin White black wrong, (he need not have worried, it happened straight in front of me and was a clear drag down on Ryan McHugh), and thought he better even things up.

Down the other end from where I was sitting so I don`t know if Michael Murphy stole a few yards or not, but there appeared to be a lot of Kerry dissent so the ref may have just brought it forward.

Doubt it would have been a problem for Murphy anyway from the original spot after nailing two from 55 yards at that end.

Whatever ref we get I hope he is better than the one for the Mayo v Meath game. He didn`t even seem to know what the black card rule was or the distance a ball has to travel from kick-outs. With another ref Mayo`s Keegan, and especially Boyle could have easily been in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I can't tell if you're being serious or not with the 15 metres gain, it was more like half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

dog_pig wrote: »
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not with the 15 metres gain, it was more like half that.

Don't have access to the video at the minute but the tip of the D is exactly 33 metres from the goal and if what flasher is saying is correct then he gained 12 metres which is a massive advantage and completly alters the likley % of success.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Don't have access to the video at the minute but the tip of the D is exactly 33 metres from the goal and if what flasher is saying is correct then he gained 12 metres which is a massive advantage and completly alters the likley % of success.

He didn't take 12 meters. He stole a few.

And he'd have nailed it regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭dog_pig

There are clips on YouTube and the game is on RTÉ player, it's pretty easy to work out it wasn't anything near 15 metres.

dog_pig wrote: »
    There are clips on YouTube and the game is on RTÉ player, it's pretty easy to work out it wasn't anything near 15 metres.

As I said I dont have access to either currently, merely pointing out the actual demensions being referenced.

And he'd have nailed it regardless.

Why did he do it so, genuine question??

How many free kicks other than line balls penalties or 45`s have you seen taken from the exact spot in this millennium ?

• Advertisement

Every single footballer across all levels tries to steal a few yards from a free, whether score-able or not.

charlie14 wrote: »
    How many free kicks other than line balls penalties or 45`s have you seen taken from the exact spot in this millennium ?
    Every single footballer across all levels tries to steal a few yards from a free, whether score-able or not.

Ye are fierce defensive lads, methink the lady doth protest too much!

No one is saying that Murphy was wrong, the fact that everyone else is doing it is irrrelevant, it's a huge problem in the game, and infact is far worse for sidelines, I have seen players wander 15-20 yards up the sideline before actually taking the kick.

charlie14 wrote: »

Not the exact spot, but not taking the plss altogether. I can't see anything online that shows the foul, but I know from when I saw it back on TV, that it was bang on one of the shaded lines going across the pitch (from cutting the grass). And I'm sure that it was only one line inside the '45. That would be about 3 metres inside the 45. So foul was about 42 metres out. Below is the link as to where he kicked the ball from - on the D, which is 33 metres. My initial amount of 15 metres was obviously an exaggeration. But it was actually about 9 metres ahead of the foul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnH3niZtQI

That's outrageous to get away with that with a kick in such a crucial time in the match. Of course all free takers do it to a lesser extent. Up to the ref to patrol it better.

One poster remarked about ref having it brought forward, but don't think so. It would be closer to the goal if it was.
    Anyway, doesn't matter now. Can't wait for Saturday week. Tickets bought. See ye there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pogue eile wrote:
    No one is saying that Murphy was wrong, the fact that everyone else is doing it is irrrelevant, it's a huge problem in the game, and infact is far worse for sidelines, I have seen players wander 15-20 yards up the sideline before actually taking the kick.

But you are saying it is wrong and you invited them to defend it.

Then you say is a huge issue in the game and then call them defensive.

Nobody should need an answer to why a player would move a ball closer to the target.

If as you say it's a fact that everyone else does it, that is relevant as it removes any advantage to either side.

Stoner wrote: »
    But you are saying it is wrong and you invited them to defend it.

Then you say is a huge issue in the game and then call them defensive.

Nobody should need an answer to why a player would move a ball closer to the target.

If as you say it's a fact that everyone else does it, that is relevant as it removes any advantage to either side.

I am saying it is wrong that it is not policed correctly, I am not saying the players are wrong to do it. In fact to not do it would be incredibly naieve.

I am saying that they are being defensive as in they are interpreting it as some sort of slight against Murphy.

If nobody should have to answer why a player does soemthing maybe we should simply close down boards altogether perhaps??

Anyone who doesnt think taking a kick from 10 yards closer to teh goals isnt an advantage is either a liar or simply doesnt understand physics!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Pogue eile wrote:
    If nobody should have to answer why a player does soemthing maybe we should simply close down boards altogether perhaps??

Well I think we should keep it going for genuine questions.

You asked a question that you knew the answer to.

Anyway good luck.

Stoner wrote: »
    Well I think we should keep it going for genuine questions.

You asked a question that you knew the answer to.

Anyway good luck.

It's not a question and answer session. It's a discussion forum. People can make comments that they believe in. They can throw a question out there to the public, for which they have their own opinion on what the correct answer should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

How about getting back to the main event. Can we beat Mayo ., anyone know what players will have recovered from injuries. The display against Kerry gave plenty of positives, we recovered well after conceding the goal, still look suspect when players run at us down the middle, Jamie Brennan was subdued. Player for player we’re better than Mayo but in the heat of battle in McHale Park and Mayo’s record of living on the edge is of concern. It’s an intriguing prospect, For football’s sake the the 4 teams to make it through should be, Dublin, Donegal, Kerry and Tyrone. Probably the top four in the country.

Not the exact spot, but not taking the plss altogether. I can't see anything online that shows the foul, but I know from when I saw it back on TV, that it was bang on one of the shaded lines going across the pitch (from cutting the grass). And I'm sure that it was only one line inside the '45. That would be about 3 metres inside the 45. So foul was about 42 metres out. Below is the link as to where he kicked the ball from - on the D, which is 33 metres. My initial amount of 15 metres was obviously an exaggeration. But it was actually about 9 metres ahead of the foul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCnH3niZtQI

That's outrageous to get away with that with a kick in such a crucial time in the match. Of course all free takers do it to a lesser extent. Up to the ref to patrol it better.

One poster remarked about ref having it brought forward, but don't think so. It would be closer to the goal if it was.
    Anyway, doesn't matter now. Can't wait for Saturday week. Tickets bought. See ye there.

I don`t really see what point you are trying to make if you do not know if the ref brought it forward or not. Especially with your first estimate of it being 15 mtrs.

Or indeed why you would pick out Michael Murphy`s on the basis that it being a crucial time in the game. It was no more critical than any other free taken on Sunday in a drawn game.

All teams do it and it is no better or worse than player improving a tight angle for himself when taking a free which is common practice for a few I`ve seen do it on a regular basis over the past few years.
    In fact seeing as in this case it was only a matter of distance for a player who had earlier nailed two from much further out, I would see a player improving the angle a bigger sin.

• Advertisement

Ye are fierce defensive lads, methink the lady doth protest too much!

Perhaps it`s Croke Park you should really be getting on to rather than Donegal supporters about referees and linesmen not ensuring free kicks and line balls are taken from the correct spot.
    But before you do, maybe best to remember for the sake of whatever team you support the caveat "People who live in glass houses............." :)

Advertisement