Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Wait to u see giving us a black card now

Ref is giving mayo everything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This is piss poor so far, ball not sticking at all. Ref giving Mayo a very easy ride as well. But, wind could be a factor 2nd half.

A few thoughts on the game.

Really important we don't concede an early goal and try and get a few points up after the first 15 mins. Keeping the mayo crowd quiet is important. I think they'll put Aidan o Shea on the edge of the square at some stage as happened before to great effect. I'm sure our management team has prepared for that. Mayo are sharp around the breaking ball so we need to be switched on for the high dropping ball.
    I can see them dropping off our kickouts at different stages hoping to get turn overs especially if the ball is wet. Of course Murphy and Mc Hugh are critical to the winning of the match but we can't be carrying any passengers today. Big test ahead especially for the younger lads. One or two points in it at the end I'd say.

We will worry about the 7 day turnaround later if we get through.

Oh my god.

And a fluke of a goal now from a mis-hit shot. Done and dusted :rolleyes:

Rubbish first half. I anticipated this from mayo. We haven't adapted to the conditions. Too ponderous. Big players neutralised. Others hidding and not playing as if their lives depend on it. Meeting a battle-hardened outfit. Alot of our boys not familiar with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Our players are absolutely shocking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If they make it to the semis, it's going to be an amazing 2nd half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

While we have a wind to play with, we needed to be closer at half time to get a result. Not that we deserved to be

Hi baoil not up to it

I hate when hughie decides to carry ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Shocking performance in front of goal this half, we should be ahead

Shocking performance in front of goal this half, we should be ahead

Pressure. In all honest gallen turned over twice when he should have been awarded a free. Refs a bollix

Pressure. In all honest gallen turned over twice when he should have been awarded a free. Refs a bollix

Yep. 2 men hanging out of him one of those times and the ref put the whistle to his lips then let them carry on.
    The hex continues.

In reality, our poor shooting cost us

In reality, our poor shooting cost us

Lack of composure.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Panicked, worried, overwhelmed.

It really seemed as though Donegal were counting on the wind to carry them in the second half. Horrendous shooting. Didn't deserve to win, not even close.

What a limp exit.

Panicked, worried, overwhelmed.

It really seemed as though Donegal were counting on the wind to carry them in the second half. Horrendous shooting. Didn't deserve to win, not even close.

What a limp exit.

We're short 3 or 4 players to get to the next level. A lot hid today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

That was very very disappointing.
    Out thought, out fought and out played. And the most disappointing thing is Mayo are not that good.
    When it was back to a 1 point game in the middle of the 2nd half the game was there for the taking but we proceeded to shoot 7 or 8 shocking wides.
    McHugh was anonymous, McBrearty definitely not fit and McGee clearly shouldn't have started.

Few people complaining that ref was letting Mayo away with everything but Mayos tackling was ferocious. They were really up for it where as we looked ponderous in position. How many turnovers did we lose!?
    Still a very young team but a few of them need to step up in the big games. A few players went hiding today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Once I seen, Paul Brennan for Eamon Doherty during the game, I thought, were doomed..

raiders11 wrote: »
    Once I seen, Paul Brennan for Eamon Doherty during the game, I thought, were doomed..

Both not inter county standard. Injuries and the relentless schedule affected this team also. Lose one match and out. Mayo lose two and still in. Super 8s is not fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Hard luck to donegal. Tough conditions and a lot of pressure applied all over the pitch. Your young team maybe got caught in the headlights a little but it will stand to them. They will be back, no question about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

[Super 8s is not fit for purpose.
    Will discuss the match later but agree with this. Rushing through games straight into an All Ireland semi final just does a disservice to the players. It needs to be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hard luck to donegal. Tough conditions and a lot of pressure applied all over the pitch. Your young team maybe got caught in the headlights a little but it will stand to them. They will be back, no question about it.

Agree with this. This Donegal team have the ability to challenge for many years. Tonight should be a pivotal moment for them. They just need to go and win the next big knockout game to be real challengers. They have the personal, the only question is can they kick on and do it when the real pressure come ons.

Agree with this. This Donegal team have the ability to challenge for many years. Tonight should be a pivotal moment for them. They just need to go and win the next big knockout game to be real challengers. They have the personal, the only question is can they kick on and do it when the real pressure come ons.

Last two games have shown weaknesses in our play. Carrying ball up the central part of the field, Mayo's and Kerry's strongest area instead of opening it out. Wet ball does not suit hand to toe. We need stronger more athletic players. Forward line other than Murphy was poor. Mc brearty and Brennan easily marked. Half forwards other than o Donnell cleaned out and we never got to grips in midfield. Unless we get all our injured players and absentees - Gillespie, eofhan ban, mcniallais- plus others back we'll struggle.
    The lack of physicality in the tackle really stood out and certain players inability to win dirty ball when counted. Can we improve in these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

Luck of the draw and noting else. Had we played Mayo in round 1 we’d have had the easy passage Kerry had.

Super 8s need to go. Donegal pose their first game and are out. Mayo lose twice and progress. It’s bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

doc_17 wrote: »
    Luck of the draw and noting else. Had we played Mayo in round 1 we’d have had the easy passage Kerry had.

Super 8s need to go. Donegal pose their first game and are out. Mayo lose twice and progress. It’s bullsh*t.

I don’t understand why people start blaming the system when they lose. The super 8s had nothing to do with Mayo losing twice. Do people want to scrap the qualifiers as well?In the super 8s they won 2 games and Donegal won one. So Mayo qualify. The nature of sport is that sometimes you get a tougher draw than other people. The super 8s have given loads of fantastic occasions that wouldn’t have happened with 4 quarter finals in croke Park. But because there’s 1 dead rubber or their team get beat people start whinging.

If Donegal can’t beat Mayo then they’re not one of the top 4 teams and don’t deserve to be in the semifinals

The last knock out quarter finals were an absolute damp squib. People should remember that before looking to go back to that. Anyway based on yesterday’s performance Mayo would have beaten us in croke Park as well.

harpsman wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people start blaming the system when they lose. The super 8s had nothing to do with Mayo losing twice. Do people want to scrap the qualifiers as well?In the super 8s they won 2 games and Donegal won one. So Mayo qualify. The nature of sport is that sometimes you get a tougher draw than other people. The super 8s have given loads of fantastic occasions that wouldn’t have happened with 4 quarter finals in croke Park. But because there’s 1 dead rubber or their team get beat people start whinging.

If Donegal can’t beat Mayo then they’re not one of the top 4 teams and don’t deserve to be in the semifinals

The last knock out quarter finals were an absolute damp squib. People should remember that before looking to go back to that. Anyway based on yesterday’s performance Mayo would have beaten us in croke Park as well.

Would Donegal have won in 92 or 2012 through this current system? Teams like Donegal with an outside chance and having a smaller quality panel would have a better chance of progressing in the old system. Look at the amount of injuries that were a consequence of the relentless nature of the current system. I think our game plan would have worked better in croke park on a dry day. We we literally in the hornets nest yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

harpsman wrote: »

There were problems with the old QFs, absolutely. But the super 8s are a disaster. And they are unfair. And it is acceptable to blame the system. Name me another team who had to play two away games
    In the Super 8s last year other than Donegal. Name me a team that got 2 home games this year.....same team as last year. Bottom line is that if we want to win an AI then we need the old system. We don’t have the panel to do it this way. Had we won yesterday we’d have been taken out by a well rested Dublin team. This system favours the bigger counties .

And it also takes extreme advantage of the genuine supporter who doesn’t like missing games and gouges then for money whilst we sell the games off to sky.

And just what occasions are you referring to? Donegal v Tyrone and Donegal v Mayo? Yeah great weren’t they. The old system would have had us in CP against a qualifier who fell in the back door waiting to be taken out. Not a well rested team who had time to get their players back to fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭harpsman

There were problems with the old QFs, absolutely. But the super 8s are a disaster. And they are unfair. And it is acceptable to blame the system. Name me another team who had to play two away games
    In the Super 8s last year other than Donegal. Name me a team that got 2 home games this year.....same team as last year. Bottom line is that if we want to win an AI then we need the old system. We don’t have the panel to do it this way. Had we won yesterday we’d have been taken out by a well rested Dublin team. This system favours the bigger counties .

And it also takes extreme advantage of the genuine supporter who doesn’t like missing games and gouges then for money whilst we sell the games off to sky.

And just what occasions are you referring to? Donegal v Tyrone and Donegal v Mayo? Yeah great weren’t they. The old system would have had us in CP against a qualifier who fell in the back door waiting to be taken out. Not a well rested team who had time to get their players back to fitness.

It’s possible to be a great occasion and your team still lose you know. Under the old system we could have gotten a handy draw or we could have gotten Tyrone or Mayo, both of whom have proven in the past well capable of beating provincial champions.

Mayo were playing their 6th game so I don’t know how anyone could blame the relentless schedule. Yesterday’s game was a tough but good experience for a young donegal team and proved they’re not ready for the next level yet. Hopefully they will learn from the experience and improve so that next year they are ready.

Advertisement