Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

dog_pig wrote:
    I'd imagine Doherty was getting some time ahead of a probable man-marking job against Kerry, whether he starts or only comes on if needed I dunno.

I don't buy into his man marking abilities.

Ladjacket wrote:
    What exactly does Niall O'Donnell bring to the team? I thought he coughed up some cheap ball on Sunday and was one of the weakest members. Totally realise there is something i am not seeing.

He is very talented, but he is prone to mistakes. The worst of which, in my view, is his tendency to drop shots short.

I thought the league final was a turning point, but he hasn't looked great in the Championship.

He doesn't let his head drop as far as I can see, which is good.

Not sure what his role is, something like a traditional 11 I suppose, but his playmaking abilities probably not fully developed due to the fact we run so much through Michael and Ryan.

He doesn't really have the attributes of a modern day half forward and might struggle in the full forward line.

charlie14 wrote:
    Agree Niall O`Donnell has loads of ability, but there were times on Sunday I felt he put us under pressure with some poor passes a few times that resulted in turnovers, but that may have been as much to do with players not getting ahead of the ball as in our previous games as anything else.

Could be a fair shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

I hope there's a decent crowd on Sunday, maybe 50,000 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    He is very talented, but he is prone to mistakes. The worst of which, in my view, is his tendency to drop shots short.

I thought the league final was a turning point, but he hasn't looked great in the Championship.

He doesn't let his head drop as far as I can see, which is good.

Not sure what his role is, something like a traditional 11 I suppose, but his playmaking abilities probably not fully developed due to the fact we run so much through Michael and Ryan.

He doesn't really have the attributes of a modern day half forward and might struggle in the full forward line.

Looking at him on Sunday it looked to me at least that he was there to play the traditional 11 role, but as you say with so much going through Michael and Ryan it was difficult to see what his role was.
    Looked at times as if he wasn`t sure himself.

• Advertisement

I don't buy into his man marking abilities.

Neither do I, and certainly not as a starter in a man marking role. Late on as fresh legs in that role perhaps, but for me that would be all.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Think his role is to provide a link between midfield and the full forward line to ensure Brennan and McBrearty don't get isolated or have to come too deep to get on ball.

In fairness, his movement is excellent and he is constantly making himself available. Ther problem is when he gets the ball, he lacks a physique and is prone to turnovers. His often takes wrong decisions too. I think he's going to be a fantastic player for donegal but just not yet.

If you look at our bench, I don't think we've many options to start instead of him. McGlynn or Gallen probably won't start because they're too old/young. O'Baoill has been more disappointing than O'Donnell so I think Eoin McHugh is the only option. His pace could be useful in the half forward line.

On Leo, I can't see him starting especially not as a CHB as that would mean he'd have to mark O'Shea or someone like that.

O'Baoil has been a little disappointing, but I hope he stays the course. I think he offers more than Doherty, Brennan and Ward.

I was glad to see Eoin McHugh used further forward on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

agfasfos wrote: »
    I hope there's a decent crowd on Sunday, maybe 50,000 ?

I’d say 40000 max

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Eoghan Ban has picked up a 'serious leg injury' in training it is being reported this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Eoghan Ban has picked up a 'serious leg injury' in training it is being reported this morning

Let’s hope that report is off the mark, he’s probably our best runner.

This is awful news, firstly for EBG and secondly for Donegal.

agfasfos wrote: »
    Let’s hope that report is off the mark, he’s probably our best runner.

Doesn`t look like it. Donegal News and Highland reporting a serious long term leg injury in training last night.
    Terrible luck for the young lad and a serious blow to our ambitions for the year.
    Hoping he has a speedy and full recovery.

Thomas Niblock (BBC) saying broken ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Been told it’s a broken leg. Either way he’s going to miss the rest of the championship, what a shame that is for him more importantly, and then for Donegal. He’s in great fettle at the moment. Speedy recovery Eoghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

What's that half-back line going to look like now?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Crap news, one of the 5 or 6 players we couldn't afford to lose.

Assuming McGrath is also out then Paul Brennan will certainly start. I'd say it's between Doherty or Ward for the other spot, perhaps McLoone or E McHugh. I'd worry that Ryan McHugh is the only defender with the skill to make something happen or score a point. Makes it much easier for teams to double mark our key players.

dog_pig wrote: »
    What's that half-back line going to look like

now?

If Paddy McGrath is fit to play my guess would be Paul Brennan, OMF and Ryan McHugh.

If McGrath not fit to play then my hope, if he is fit to play, Leo McLoone instead of Brennan.
    Even If McGrath plays I would still prefer McLoone in that half-back line over Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

charlie14 wrote: »
    If Paddy McGrath is fit to play my guess would be Paul Brennan, OMF and Ryan McHugh.

If McGrath not fit to play then my hope, if he is fit to play, Leo McLoone instead of Brennan.
    Even If McGrath plays I would still prefer McLoone in that half-back line over Brennan.

I'd probably tend to agree with having McLoone in there ahead of Brennan, he didn't get any game time on Sunday though did he? I'd like to think O'Baoill could come in and offer something similar to EBG but I'm not sure if management will go for it. He did come on for Brennan very early in the second half against Meath though.

dog_pig wrote: »
    I'd probably tend to agree with having McLoone in there ahead of Brennan, he didn't get any game time on Sunday though did he? I'd like to think O'Baoill could come in and offer something similar to EBG but I'm not sure if management will go for it. He did come on for Brennan very early in the second half against Meath though.

McLoone was togged on Sunday but I do not know if he was fit to play.He did got a few minutes towards the end of the Ulster final.

O`Baoill`s first act on Sunday was conceding the penalty for a two man tackle.

Fair enough those things can happen, but for the old head of experience if he is fit to play McLoone would be my preference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

A tricky one. No doubt EBG is a huge loss and his pace and incisive runs will be missed.

David Moran is a force that needs looking after I think. I'd take in DO'B for Ban and I agree with earlier post on NO'D. I don't see exactly what he brings to the team either and I'd be tempted to give Leo a run with the idea of providing support against Moran.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Given what's just happened with EBG & the lacklustre period against Meath, I think it's clearer than ever we are a year or two out from taking on the dubs. Nevertheless we are making great gains.
    I wonder how long Rochford will be around for. Surely his head will be turned given the credit he will have gained from this year to date.
    There's still lots to be hopeful for in the next two games. I'd be having Leo in there for at least one half. Paul Brennan seems to have one good half in him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Is Frank Mc Glynn not the natural like for like replacement for EBG even for 50 minutes?

Is Frank Mc Glynn not the natural like for like replacement for EBG even for 50 minutes?

It would be great to see but he doesn't have the legs.

I'd like to see O'Baoil start. Not the defender, but a great attacker. Not shown it yet for Donegal, maybe Sunday is the day.

Kerry have named a team. Amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

snowgal wrote: »
    Yea there’ll be a ticket office there on the day so you’ll get tickets up there no problem...

Forgot to "opt out" of the season ticket plan and booked extra tickets for the kids, so I've an extra ticket for for section 305 if any wo/man wants it. PM for details.

All the best to Donegal tomorrow.

Watched some of the scores from the 2012 Quarter Final today.

Lacey's point at the end is one of my favourite ever Donegal scores. I must get a top 10 prepared to discuss.

I hope we are up to it tomorrow

#untilvictoryalways

Well, if Neil McGee is out too we may forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Whats this????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:

What ?

Advertisement