Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

I would agree with this. Have an extra concert in Croke park if they feel they are losing revenue. Residents group would have a big say in this though as would the corporate boxes, sky and sponsors.

Kerry v Donegal in Galway would be manageable for both teams.
    Meath v Mayo in Breffni would be equally interesting.
    Cork v Tyrone in Navan or Portlaoise could be done.
    Dublin v Roscommon in Breffni would make perfect sense too.

Not going to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

A left field observation here but god you would miss Charlie Collins's Radio Commentary. Tuned in yesterday but its not the same. The man is too good not be be on Radio. Its like Jimmy Smyth's commentary on the old BBC Championship. Its what sunny championship days were all about.
    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-highland-radio-commentary-for-the-all-ireland-football-final-59986

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Donegal win on Sunday and they're through then?

Not unless Mayo lose.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Is the match being replayed in full at any time on Sky? Would like to watch it back and see anything I missed from being there. Always like being able to RTE player it in full when I get home but can't do the same when it's on sky unfortunately.

The match was shown on RTE 1. It should be available on RTE player?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

The match was shown on RTE 1. It should be available on RTE player?

no that game was on sky. The hurling was on RTE 2 and the Kerry game was on RTE one alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Our biggest championship win has raised more doubts than our other games. It goes to show the fickle nature of sport.
    What was pleasing was when we needed to take the game by the scruff of the neck Murphy and McHugh stepped up to the plate and provided the required leadership and others followed. Along with Paddy and Shaun Patton they led the team to victory.
    During the Ulster campaign we controlled the tempo of the games and they were played on our terms. Yesterday was different. We made a number of unforced errors and allowed Meath back into the game.
    The heat was clearly a factor too. When we attacked we weren't getting runners ahead of the ball. We appeared sluggish and turned the ball over too easily at times. There were a number of poor decisions made and some uncharacteristic handling errors. We had a number of players targetted in the defensive line. Meath ran at them at every opportunity and exploited poor footwork and body positions. Karl Lacey has a number of issues to address this week.
    On a more positive note, yet again we destroyed the opposition on their own kick outs. We made hay on the Meath restarts. Shaun Patton is now essential to our gameplan. Some of his kicking yesterday was sublime and caused Meath untold problems.
    The manner in which we kicked on in the final 15 minutes was very impressive. A less assured team could have struggled in those circumstances. We finally got our runners beyond the ball and Meath had no answers to our angles of running.
    Kerry's performance yesterday will dampen expectations. The winners of this game will be favourites to reach the final. I would be hopeful that Kerry's style of play will suit us more. Hugh will play a lot deeper as Kerry will kick the ball a lot more. We will press their kick out and I think that will give us opportunities to expose their full back line with quick ball. We need to get our match ups right. Yesterday there were some mismatches, possibly as a result of Paddy's late withdrawal. We can certainly do it but we need a better performance than yesterday.

Our biggest championship win has raised more doubts than our other games. It goes to show the fickle nature of sport.
    What was pleasing was when we needed to take the game by the scruff of the game neck Murphy and McHugh stepped up to the plate and provided the required leadership and others followed. Along with Paddy and Shaun Patton they led the team to victory.
    During the Ulster campaign we controlled the tempo of the games and they were played on our terms. Yesterday was different. We made a number of unforced errors and allowed Meath back into the game.
    The heat was clearly a factor too. When we attacked we weren't getting runners ahead of the ball. We appeared sluggish and turned the ball over too easily at times. There were a number of poor decisions made and some uncharacteristic handling errors. We had a number of players targetted in the defensive line. Meath ran at them at every opportunity and exploited poor footwork and body positions. Karl Lacey has a number of issues to address this week.
    On a more positive note, yet again we destroyed the opposition on their own kick outs. We made hay on the Meath restarts. Shaun Patton is now essential to our gameplan. Some of his kicking yesterday was sublime and caused Meath untold problems.
    The manner in which we kicked on in the final 15 minutes was very impressive. A less assured team could have struggled in those circumstances. We finally got our runners beyond the ball and Meath had no answers to our angles of running.
    Kerry's performance yesterday will dampen expectations. The winners of this game will be favourites to reach the final. I would be hopeful that Kerry's style of play will suit us more. Hugh will play a lot deeper as Kerry will kick the ball a lot more. We will press their kick out and I think that will give us opportunities to expose their full back line with quick ball. We need to get our match ups right. Yesterday there were some mismatches, possibly as a result of Paddy's late withdrawal. We can certainly do it but we need a better performance than yesterday.

The better team won hands down in the end, and good luck for the rest, but just one thing, don’t be too ott on the destroying the opposition comment, we more or less did that for yee ourselves, not a good day at the Gk office...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I`m jittery enough at Donegal games, but yesterday before a ball was thrown in seeing Neil McGee stretched out on the pitch getting a thigh rub, Paddy McGrath heading to the dug out and being joined by Jamie Brennan to get treatment for his eye didn`t help.
    Two lads from Glen reckoned it was Michael Murphy did the damage to Brennan in the warm up and those lads do not miss much.
    The reshuffle due to McGrath I felt threw us a bit at the back, plus we sorely missed his runs as well. McMenamin for me hadn`t a great day back there either. McFadden Ferry I thought did ok on a tricky customer, but he does live close to the edge at times. Hard to know what to make of midfield. We never allowed them field anything clean, but we didn`t look to have won a breaking ball there all day which subsequently caused us problems.
    After a bright start Jamie Brennan seemed to lose confidence after a few hit and hope balls were played in that he didn`t get to, and our forwards up until the last quarter never got ahead of the ball, or were slow to react to ball played into space behind the Meath cover. Murphy was superb, McBrearty showed just how much he was missed at this stage last year, and Ryan McHugh must be up for serious consideration for the next Duracell battery ad.
    Patton`s kick outs were superb and really killed them after they went a point up. Plus great to see him handle a few tricky high balls in, but he scares the life out of me when he decides to act as the spare man.
    The strength of our bench compared to last year was also a major factor. The fresh legs of Eoin McHugh and Gallen caused them serious problems in that last quarter. The old head of McGlynn didn`t help their cause either.
    OBaoill seems to now be in the queue before Leo McLoone, which from the Div 2 final and his contribution yesterday I would find questionable.
    We put ourselves in a position where we really should not have been to go one point behind. But from leading in all our championship games this year and seeing them out, maybe not a bad thing. We got our act together really for the first time yesterday at that point and showed great composure and no little skill to take it by the scruff of the neck and be ruthless. Even if the winning margin flattered us a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Lads any idea if I can pay at the gate to get into Crocker on Sunday or is a ticket required?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ticket required. Impossible to pay at the gate and has been for years

• Advertisement

Lads any idea if I can pay at the gate to get into Crocker on Sunday or is a ticket required?

They’ll have a van or the ticket office may be open. I’d ask the dubs / Leinster crowd posters they’ll know the craic for games like this where it’s not a sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Paddy's goal looked even better last night.

Jamie was very well marked and we gave him poor ball.

Both Paddy and Jamie still managed to score well which was encouraging.

It was fantastic to see how we went for it in the last 10 minutes. Polar opposite to last year's Super 8 game in Ballybofey, although you have to make allowances for the opposition.

A few quick thoughts about Sunday.

We won't out jump David Moran and we can't mark David Clifford.

Perhaps Aidan O'Shea was carrying an injury and that's why Moran was able to lord it as much as he did, but on his day, Moran is still a fantastic midfielder. We need to crowd him so he can't catch and kick cleanly. They will want to deliver quick ball to Clifford.

Kerry will surely target our kick out. Notice how Newman frequently stopped Patton taking quick kick outs on Sunday. Maybe Kerry will recall Barry John Keane to play this role? By stopping the quick kick out, Patton may have to go long which will play into Kerry's hands as it will bring Moran into play on our own kick out. Patton can go beyond midfield, he may need to. Kerry will surely push up on the kick out too, but, they will need to be be wary of the flick on to our runners.

I don't know who marks Clifford. I don't know if it matters. We just need to deny him as much ball as possible and accept he will still get some scores. But we need to deny Kerry every opportunity to kick it in. Force them to slow down and try and work it in instead.

Stephen O'Brien is a huge threat. I don't know if McFadden Ferry or other will take him. EBG has the strength and pace. But we absolutely need to quell him.

Will Ryan McHugh and Paul Murphy face off like they did in 2014? Murphy won that duel or it was at best a tie. I well remember McHugh's point only for Murphy to take advantage of where McHugh ended up to score a point of his own straight away.

I don't think Geaney or JOD will have anything like the influence they had in 2014 but they still have the talent to cause huge problems if forgotten about.

Kerry backs might be good enough man on man, but their defensive system is still suspect. Like Sunday, Paddy and Jamie might struggle to win direct ball, but they will be harder to pick up on loops etc.

Before the Super 8s I was confident about this game. But last Sunday has sewn enough seeds of doubt. Kerry wiki come in with all the traditional swagger, and have plenty of youth to give us the runaround. No AOM to mark Michael this time, but they will find someone. His role this year is probably different again to 2014 so we wiki see if they can McMahon him.

Still looking forward to it. We have only matched our Super 8 performance from last year with one win so far, but we have a great opportunity to go one better on Sunday. I hope we are up to it.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    A few quick thoughts about Sunday.

We won't out jump David Moran and we can't mark David Clifford.

Perhaps Aidan O'Shea was carrying an injury and that's why Moran was able to lord it as much as he did, but on his day, Moran is still a fantastic midfielder. We need to crowd him so he can't catch and kick cleanly. They will want to deliver quick ball to Clifford.

Kerry will surely target our kick out. Notice how Newman frequently stopped Patton taking quick kick outs on Sunday. Maybe Kerry will recall Barry John Keane to play this role? By stopping the quick kick out, Patton may have to go long which will play into Kerry's hands as it will bring Moran into play on our own kick out. Patton can go beyond midfield, he may need to. Kerry will surely push up on the kick out too, but, they will need to be be wary of the flick on to our runners.

I don't know who marks Clifford. I don't know if it matters. We just need to deny him as much ball as possible and accept he will still get some scores. But we need to deny Kerry every opportunity to kick it in. Force them to slow down and try and work it in instead.

Stephen O'Brien is a huge threat. I don't know if McFadden Ferry or other will take him. EBG has the strength and pace. But we absolutely need to quell him.

Will Ryan McHugh and Paul Murphy face off like they did in 2014? Murphy won that duel or it was at best a tie. I well remember McHugh's point only for Murphy to take advantage of where McHugh ended up to score a point of his own straight away.

I don't think Geaney or JOD will have anything like the influence they had in 2014 but they still have the talent to cause huge problems if forgotten about.

Kerry backs might be good enough man on man, but their defensive system is still suspect. Like Sunday, Paddy and Jamie might struggle to win direct ball, but they will be harder to pick up on loops etc.

Before the Super 8s I was confident about this game. But last Sunday has sewn enough seeds of doubt. Kerry wiki come in with all the traditional swagger, and have plenty of youth to give us the runaround. No AOM to mark Michael this time, but they will find someone. His role this year is probably different again to 2014 so we wiki see if they can McMahon him.

Still looking forward to it. We have only matched our Super 8 performance from last year with one win so far, but we have a great opportunity to go one better on Sunday. I hope we are up to it.

It is going to be difficult for anyone to outfield Moran, so our best tactic would probably be to break anything coming his way. For that do make any difference to ball going in to the Kerry forwards, we will need to be a lot sharper than yesterday in winning that breaking ball.

Anything that broke around midfield yesterday Meath mopped up.

Stephen O Brien is a major threat. Nullify him and we could be well on the way. Like yourself I would be incline to think EBG is the man for the job.

They’ll have a van or the ticket office may be open. I’d ask the dubs / Leinster crowd posters they’ll know the craic for games like this where it’s not a sell out

Yea there’ll be a ticket office there on the day so you’ll get tickets up there no problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

The only issue I see in EBG man marking Stephen O Brien is that it wastes his attacking talents.

EBG man marking is probably something Kerry would love because he is such a strong runner and exploits Kerry’s main weakness - Their poor tackling and inability to cope with a strong running game.

If Cork could pull Kerry apart in the Münster final, imagine what Donegal could potentially do on Sunday I’m Croker?

So Saturday 3rd of August at 6pm in Castlebar for the Mayo game. Surprised, thought the Dubs would get the Saturday night game.

Anyway, let's see how we go on Sunday before worrying about the next game.

Will OMF not be marking O’Brien? Perhaps he might not have the legs to do it for 70 mins but I would have thought it’s hlgonna he him.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

doc_17 wrote: »
    Will OMF not be marking O’Brien? Perhaps he might not have the legs to do it for 70 mins but I would have thought it’s hlgonna he him.

He struggled with keeping up with Cillian O Sullivan's running at times on Sunday.

He struggled with keeping up with Cillian O Sullivan's running at times on Sunday.

I thought he did well enough.

To be honest, I think we're going to be sent up alot deeper so there shouldn't be a situation whereby the like of O'Brien coming from further out the field gets by whoever is on him and the whole thing opens up like the red sea as happened once or twice on Saturday.

I'd have thought Leo is a cert to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

curry-muff wrote: »
    Is the match being replayed in full at any time on Sky? Would like to watch it back and see anything I missed from being there. Always like being able to RTE player it in full when I get home but can't do the same when it's on sky unfortunately.

Do you have a newish skybox-if so you can download the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Meath have put it up to us in the three games they've played against us this year. Their direct style of play created numerous chances today. They showed that teams with direct running will punch holes in our defence.
    Murphy was immense as was Mc Hugh. I thought that the Meath full back line were pretty solid albeit that Mc brearty got a few scores. I would question the length of our warm up on such a hot day, they were at full tilt from 1.25 til throw in and looked very laboured from early on. Patton did ok and fielded a couple of high ones near the end. I would caution as against his straying off his line and running out the field as an outlet for the defender in possession. This won't be lost on Kerry. Remember 2014.
    Gallen took his goal very well with the slight delay and feint before he slotted it home. Thought Jamie Brennan was well marked and lacked confidence as the game progressed. Btw anyone notice the injury he picked up in the warm up?
    Big test next week.

Yes, he was taking on Neil McGee in a 1 0n 1 and it looked like McGee stuck a finger in his eye, before jogging off without looking back. I later saw on tv the doctor holding up fingers in front of him so looked bad enough.

Was a bit strange

Yeah wondering about this. Leo seems to have been out of favour lately. Carrying an injury?

If Paddy cones back in, does that free up McMenamin in any way?

What was Paul Brennan's role on Sunday? I couldn't really tell.

Will we go more defensive and drop O'Donnell or even Langan?

doc_17 wrote:

He might also pick up O'Shea but then again he might drop deep enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

not the most clued into tactics etc so bear with me:

What exactly does Niall O'Donnell bring to the team? I thought he coughed up some cheap ball on Sunday and was one of the weakest members. Totally realise there is something i am not seeing.

I thought he did well enough.

To be honest, I think we're going to be sent up alot deeper so there shouldn't be a situation whereby the like of O'Brien coming from further out the field gets by whoever is on him and the whole thing opens up like the red sea as happened once or twice on Saturday.

Leo McLoone came on late in the Ulster Final and I was very surprised to see both O`Baoill and Eamonn Doherty coming on rather than McLoone on Sunday.
    I really do not know what Paul Brennan`s role was on Sunday, but against Kerry we need someone to stop that Red Sea parting in the center and I don`t believe either O`Baoill or Doherty are the answer.
    If McLoone is fit to play then imo he has to start at number 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dog_pig

charlie14 wrote: »
    Leo McLoone came on late in the Ulster Final and I was very surprised to see both O`Baoill and Eamonn Doherty coming on rather than McLoone on Sunday.
    I really do not know what Paul Brennan`s role was on Sunday, but against Kerry we need someone to stop that Red Sea parting in the center and I don`t believe either O`Baoill or Doherty are the answer.
    If McLoone is fit to play then imo he has to start at number 6.

I'd imagine Doherty was getting some time ahead of a probable man-marking job against Kerry, whether he starts or only comes on if needed I dunno. I thought McFadden-Ferry settled well after a hairy enough opening quarter.

As for Niall O'Donnell I think his ability has shown every time I've seen him play but not everything has come off for him so far. Playing against Kerry in Croke Park might suit him so hopefully it comes good if he does play.

dog_pig wrote: »
    I'd imagine Doherty was getting some time ahead of a probable man-marking job against Kerry, whether he starts or only comes on if needed I dunno. I thought McFadden-Ferry settled well after a hairy enough opening quarter.

As for Niall O'Donnell I think his ability has shown every time I've seen him play but not everything has come off for him so far. Playing against Kerry in Croke Park might suit him so hopefully it comes good if he does play.

McFadden-Ferry did an excellent job on Cavan`s Reilly in blotting him out as their link man, and even if it took him a while to settle against Meath I thought he acquitted himself well enough to start against Kerry. Whether he has the legs to stay with O`Brien I`m not sure, but then Doherty would perhaps be a good option to bring in if not. O`Baoill I`m not sure where his place is, but if it was a choice between him and McLoone In the center of our half-back line, especially from the point of Moran and the amount of breaking ball in midfield we failed to get our hands on Sunday, I would favour McLoone.
    Agree Niall O`Donnell has loads of ability, but there were times on Sunday I felt he put us under pressure with some poor passes a few times that resulted in turnovers, but that may have been as much to do with players not getting ahead of the ball as in our previous games as anything else.

I do t think Eamonn Doherty will or even should start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

Tickets are up for the Mayo game now!
    GAA Tickets

Advertisement