Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

risteard7 wrote: »
    Sure no point in us turning up at all in the super 8s! Meath will not lose all 3 games. Dont get over confident

yes they will, and badly too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Keoghan is Meath's most influential player.

Will a back be assigned to pick him up or will it fall to Ryan McHugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Keoghan is Meath's most influential player.

Will a back be assigned to pick him up or will it fall to Ryan McHugh?

I would see it a waste to tie up Ryan Mc Hugh by leaving him on Keoghan.

McFadden Ferry did a good disciplined marking job on Cavan`s link man.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Odd question, can you bring a flask of tae and sandwiches into McCumhaills? I'll need to be there super early to get the elderly aul fella a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Odd question, can you bring a flask of tae and sandwiches into McCumhaills? I'll need to be there super early to get the elderly aul fella a seat.

Absolutely. Even better call into the clubhouse before the game starts and they’ll give you a fresh cup and a sandwich. Might even be a bickie left over too if the stewards haven’t eaten them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hey all, traveling up tomorrow, haven’t been before. Coming in from the Meath side what should we expect traffic wise where to park etc? Is there a spot near to get a bit of food or should we do that on the way? We are in the stand side. Looking at lidl on the map or is too optimistic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

snowgal wrote: »
    Hey all, traveling up tomorrow, haven’t been before. Coming in from the Meath side what should we expect traffic wise where to park etc? Is there a spot near to get a bit of food or should we do that on the way? We are in the stand side. Looking at lidl on the map or is too optimistic :D

Regardless of which route you approach ballybofey you would be best served by planning to walk a bit & parking on the outskirts of the town. The twin towns (Ballybofey / Stranorlar) are a real bottleneck on a normal day never mind match day.

Plenty of places in the town to eat & drink. Access to the stand is simple enough - down the alley alongside the Villa Rose Hotel (should be a bit of craic here before the game)
    Welcome to Donegal! Enjoy the match!

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Regardless of which route you approach ballybofey you would be best served by planning to walk a bit & parking on the outskirts of the town. The twin towns (Ballybofey / Stranorlar) are a real bottleneck on a normal day never mind match day.

Plenty of places in the town to eat & drink. Access to the stand is simple enough - down the alley alongside the Villa Rose Hotel (should be a bit of craic here before the game)
    Welcome to Donegal! Enjoy the match!

So would parking by Gallagher’s cars be far enough then? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

So are you coming through Donegal Town? Or The North? If you park at Gallagher’s you’ll have about 1km to the town. 10 min walk. Grab a bite in Heeneys, always a good atmosphere on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Looking forward to the next three games, a great opportunity to see where we are. I still think we're a year off contending with Niall O'Donnell, McGee, O'Baoill and McF-F all capable of big improvement. Similar to what Jamie Brennan did this year.

Not convinced by Mayo yet, think Kerry will beat them today which providing we beat Meath today will mean two massive games for us. Think we can do it but going to be very difficult to beat Kerry in Croker and Mayo in McHale.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    So are you coming through Donegal Town? Or The North? If you park at Gallagher’s you’ll have about 1km to the town. 10 min walk. Grab a bite in Heeneys, always a good atmosphere on match days.

Yes coming in through the town

A fine day for football up here. Plenty of colour about even at this early stage.

Definitely a better vibe starting the Super 8s this year. A fast start and strong finish is vital. Also important that Patton keeps his nerve, it has been rightly pointed out that it began to unravel for him at this stage last year.

Oisín Gallen and Niall O'Donnell made hay against Meath in Croke Park and Paddy McBrearty didn't even feature that day. We have the firepower to do a lot of damage to this team. We will surely not be as niaive as we were defensively for the start of the Croke Park game.

Throne won by 4 in Roscommon so anything less of a win today will be disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭overshoot

Anyone need a ticket?
    Change of circumstances, and won't get closer than Donegal town

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    A fine day for football up here. Plenty of colour about even at this early stage.

Definitely a better vibe starting the Super 8s this year. A fast start and strong finish is vital. Also important that Patton keeps his nerve, it has been rightly pointed out that it began to unravel for him at this stage last year.

Oisín Gallen and Niall O'Donnell made hay against Meath in Croke Park and Paddy McBrearty didn't even feature that day. We have the firepower to do a lot of damage to this team. We will surely not be as niaive as we were defensively for the start of the Croke Park game.

Throne won by 4 in Roscommon so anything less of a win today will be disappointing.

Man for man we're the better team but Meath can run at our defense and if we have weakness that's where it lies. Definitely agree we need a result today, if things work out next week in Croke Park will be a humdinger.

Savage heat here.

Meath GK a mess, we have a big advantage on both kick outs.

Some lovely scores, well worked.

I reckon there is a burst in us that will finish them.

McMenamin getting roasted.

McFadden Ferry only OK.

Jamie getting poor ball.

Paddy took goal well after some poor misses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Wasn't looking great with 15 to go but banana skin overcame. Meath may give Kerry and Mayo a scare yet. Murphy a monster as usual. Half forward, midfield or sweeper the ball is a magnet for him.
    9 point win could yet be very useful in a tight group.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

Brego888 wrote: »
    Wasn't looking great with 15 to go but banana skin overcame. Meath may give Kerry and Mayo a scare yet. Murphy a monster as usual. Half forward, midfield or sweeper the ball is a magnet for him.
    9 point win could yet be very useful in a tight group.

Meath could certainly put it up to Mayo and they have Kerry in Navan, very relieved to come away with the win today and the scoring difference could turn out to be vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Is the match being replayed in full at any time on Sky? Would like to watch it back and see anything I missed from being there. Always like being able to RTE player it in full when I get home but can't do the same when it's on sky unfortunately.

Lads Meath won't beat anyone.

We came out with a result I was happy with but way we got there was interesting.

To go from a point down in the 2nd half to winning my 9 is impressive.

But, we left a lot of scores behind us. Paddy was wasteful and Ryan McHugh twice and then Daire O'Baoil wasted good opportunities.

Great to see Gallen have the composure to score that goal.

McMenamin roasted and it wasn't due to the heat. Hopefully Paddy McGrath is fit enough to play next week.

Patton generally very good.

Jamie very well marked. Quality of ball to him was poor enough.

Michael with some tremendous work.

Plenty to work on and think about for next week given events in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Meath have put it up to us in the three games they've played against us this year. Their direct style of play created numerous chances today. They showed that teams with direct running will punch holes in our defence.
    Murphy was immense as was Mc Hugh. I thought that the Meath full back line were pretty solid albeit that Mc brearty got a few scores. I would question the length of our warm up on such a hot day, they were at full tilt from 1.25 til throw in and looked very laboured from early on. Patton did ok and fielded a couple of high ones near the end. I would caution as against his straying off his line and running out the field as an outlet for the defender in possession. This won't be lost on Kerry. Remember 2014.
    Gallen took his goal very well with the slight delay and feint before he slotted it home. Thought Jamie Brennan was well marked and lacked confidence as the game progressed. Btw anyone notice the injury he picked up in the warm up?
    Big test next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Btw anyone notice the injury he picked up in the warm up?
    Big test next week.

I was sitting behind where the doctor treated him and it looked like he just got something in his eye which was washed out with water.
    I didn't see what happened to Paddy McGrath. According to the democrat, he pulled up during the warm up. I didn't spot that. We need him if we're going to plan to stop Kerry. Our defence was wide open today.
    Great result, not so great performance after a nervy first half. We'll need a big performance next Sunday to be in with a chance. Not a hope of an all ireland if we don't win our next match. That Odhran McFadden-Ferry plays on the edge. Lots of potential. Another great showing from Gallen.
    I'd worry that we will spend a period in the doldrums when Murphy retires but that's for another day.
    Did anyone happen to see where Rochford was watching from? Lacey was instructing players after being shown what I presume was a message on an iPhone held by one of the extended backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

will next sunday sell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ladjacket wrote: »

Nowhere near it.

Btw anyone notice the injury he picked up in the warm up?
    Big test next week.

Have been reliably informed he took a hit from Neil McGee in the warm up. *facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Half full if lucky

spurshero wrote: »
    Half full if lucky

for Dublin based Donegal fans that's good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

for Dublin based Donegal fans that's good news!
    be amazed if more then 50 k . Only 30 k there sat for Dublin v cork . Kerry won’t travel in huge numbers 5 k from Meath maybe would donegal bring 12000 Mayo The same maybe as it will be there 5th week In a row

you'd think they would need to revisit this idea of Croke Park going forward when you look at how enjoyable the games have been played in more regional venues. The boost for those towns as well with an extra 20k people in it for the day is worth more than a ghost town like Croke Park.

you'd think they would need to revisit this idea of Croke Park going forward when you look at how enjoyable the games have been played in more regional venues. The boost for those towns as well with an extra 20k people in it for the day is worth more than a ghost town like Croke Park.

Been saying it for years.

Keep Croke Park for semi finals and finals and bring the quarter finals away down the country.

• Advertisement

Been saying it for years.

Keep Croke Park for semi finals and finals and bring the quarter finals away down the country.

Donegal win on Sunday and they're through then?

Advertisement