Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Fire Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gsxrballer

Bombero wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, I had medical last week so just waiting to hear hopefully good news :)

Had medical myself last week still waiting to hear. ...good luck guys and gals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Thanks for the update, I had medical last week so just waiting to hear hopefully good news :)

It said on the letter that the recruits for August have been picked so you're one of them I'd imagine if u did a medical so well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

Is the panel likely to be used? even the top 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

megabantz wrote: »
    Is the panel likely to be used? even the top 10?

I doubt it. I'd say they took 18 to cover themselves for a few years. If a few more were due to retire next year id say they'd have taken a few more now. That's just my opinion and the panel is just a formality. Unless they decide to extend panel when the time comes. Then yes the panel will be used.

Ah who knows. for now I am going to take the hit and move on. Any further news from DAA will only be good news in the future if they make contact but for now...

over and out as they shouldn't say!

Good luck to the rest and enjoy recruit training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 fire1916

If anyone got a phone call today PM me please

fire1916 wrote: »
    If anyone got a phone call today PM me please

Were there calls made today?? What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gtodaizza

I know of a few people that got letters with panel numbers today has any job offers been offered yet? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hutchy05

Hi guys, I have been offered a job to start on 4th August. Got the contract through today, contract is very vague with 12 month probation period and no pay structure. I am a firefighter already for 16 years full time so decisions to be made. If anyone knows about pay scales and rotas that would be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DeltaDelta

Hutchy05 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have been offered a job to start on 4th August. Got the contract through today, contract is very vague with 12 month probation period and no pay structure. I am a firefighter already for 16 years full time so decisions to be made. If anyone knows about pay scales and rotas that would be great?

Starting pay is €33,600 and I think I read on here it rises by €1,500 a year until it reaches a ceiling( I don't know what the ceiling is!). All shifts are 12 hours and they work something like 3 on, 1 off with a week off every 6 weeks. Don't take my word as 100%. SAFO should have more accurate info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Bombero

Anyone know for sure what the shifts are? Is it a 4 shift like two days on, two nights on, then four days off or what?

Also how many staff are on each crew? And how many crews/watches are there?

All I know is it's 12 hour shifts.. I would say at this stage it's best / quicker to contact HR for these queries as nobody knows for sure except perhaps SAFO who hasn't been around in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SAFO

DDNNRRDNNRRDDNRRDDNNRRRRRRRR. That's basically the roster with a few of the nights replaced by early and lates when your swing comes around.

You work approx 60 nights a year. The early and late shifts balance out you hours or something like that.

There is an 8 day break in every 28 day cycle.

Regards to all.

As you can see you have every second weekend off.

SAFO wrote: »
    DDNNRRDNNRRDDNRRDDNNRRRRRRRR. That's basically the roster with a few of the nights replaced by early and lates when your swing comes around.

You work approx 60 nights a year. The early and late shifts balance out you hours or something like that.

There is an 8 day break in every 28 day cycle.

Regards to all.

Thanks for that SAFO :)

Thanks for that SAFO :)

Are you in Bombero?

Yep, sure am, was up yesterday for the PPE fitting, looking forward to getting stuck into the training in August

Excellent. You won't regret taking the job. There is a great bunch of lads/girls working there. I'll see you soon so.

For those on the panel I have heard a whisper that there will be another class next year. Its to do with increasing the crew numbers or something like that.
    There are also medicals and fitness testing beginning this year, as per IAA legislation, so there is a chance that of us some may not pass and will retire or be redeployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gtodaizza

For those on the panel I have heard a whisper that there will be another class next year. Its to do with increasing the crew numbers or something like that.
    There are also medicals and fitness testing beginning this year, as per IAA legislation, so there is a chance that of us some may not pass and will retire or be redeployed.

Do you work up there?
    How good of a source is this whisper?
    I'm no. 17 on the panel do you think my chances for the next batch would be good?
    Also how many are starting in August? Do you know?

• Advertisement

Its a decent whisper from the talk going around. Nobody knows how many will leave in the next year or how many will turn down job offers so how you will fare out is anybody's guess. I reckon you will be pretty close though if a class does start next year.

I believe that there is 16 starting next month.

Its a decent whisper from the talk going around. Nobody knows how many will leave in the next year or how many will turn down job offers so how you will fare out is anybody's guess. I reckon you will be pretty close though if a class does start next year.

I believe that there is 16 starting next month.

Cheers for the info SAFO. As somebody who is high on the panel I am hoping that they do call up even a few people for a class in the new year. I would imagine the size of the class would be smaller than the current one at 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Anyone know how big the panel actually is?
    I was told 30 but don't know of anyone who placed anywhere in the 20's.

I was told in the interview that it would be "around 30" but you wouldn't know. I would imagine that it's highly unlikely they use the full panel (if any at all) by the end of next year before the panel expires.

Daa contacted my references today. I got onto the panel. I know I'm clutching at straws here but tell me this is a good thing. Or is it standard practice for daa to check references for the whole panel regardless if they plan on using the panel or not???

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gsxrballer

Some people have been used from the panel already .....so don't count your self out yet....good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mick085

My references were contacted too. Last wednesday to be exact. I dont know what to make of it

mick085 wrote: »
    My references were contacted too. Last wednesday to be exact. I dont know what to make of it

That's 2 people at least now! Very strange.. Why check a reference if your not being offered the job.... It's not fair on you as it could make for a very awkward chat with your current employer if they are contacted before you can give them the heads up! Unless you both are lucky and might be in the door sooner than you think!

I'm well down on the panel so there no way I'll be getting a call. Also they contacted a friends references aswell which makes me think they are checking the whole panel.

• Advertisement

This is bonkers really as why check references unless your being used. Are they checking all your references even the ones marked as not to be contacted during the process itself?

I would be quite pi**ed off if my current employer was contacted and I wasn't guaranteed to start soon as that will make for an awkward chat and a potentially difficult time ahead if the manager wasnt happy with it!

Advertisement