Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Ale fests in weatherspoons UK always worth a visit so hopefully a similar format here - they use it as a way of testing new beers and most are discounted.

Look they're not perfect but they're not bad either ! They take a lot of stick yet are a huge employer and also drive down the cost of a night out. I'm not affiliated to them but I'm originally from London so have seen the positive impact.

Currently in the great wood, newish one in blanchardstown where the Adnams is on promo down from €2.50 to €1.95 !

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

you hit the nail on the head there Andip. Havent been in to the linen wearer yet but looking forward to it. will be avoiding mondays anyway would like to try a few on cask and a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Went in over the weekend. The place is beautifully decorated, much more of an upmarket feel than I was expecting. The lack of music wasn't noticed because there was a nice buzz around the place, maybe if it was quieter the atmosphere wouldn't have been great but I had no complaints.

Staff were lovely but a bit over eager. We were halfway through our meal when a waiter stopped at our table to ask if everything was ok, we said it was, he asked if he could get us anything else and we said no thank you, and he then proceeded to stand there looking at us (deadpan and silent) for another 30 seconds after we answered, which was both awkward and bizarre. As this stage, we had resumed eating and he was just standing there staring at us!

Now, the food. Mine wasn't great, I had the southern fried chicken wrap. The wrap was a miserable looking thing, with so little filling it was more tortilla than anything else. The chips were nice though. My friend had the fish and chips which I tasted, and it was amazing. I wish I'd gotten it. We went to Quinlans a few weeks back and I preferred. The Linen Weaver one. She was delighted with hers, so I think I may have just gotten unlucky. I'd happily go back and try something else. A table near us ordered pasta and it looked and smelled delicious.

All in all, it was nice. Wouldn't be my top pick for a meal in town, but would do nicely once in a while. I passed today and there was a queue out the door at lunch time so they are certainly attracting business. There's definitely room for them in Cork and I can see them doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Popped last night for a drink on the way home. Grand like, but carpet on the floor, smell of stale food, serving style and the layout just left me feeling like it was a train station, or a UK pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

pwurple wrote: »
    Popped last night for a drink on the way home. Grand like, but carpet on the floor, smell of stale food, serving style and the layout just left me feeling like it was a train station, or a UK pub.

That you Ernest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That you Ernest?

Really? Anyone who doesn't like the place is gonna get this comeback every time?

Ludo wrote: »
    Really? Anyone who doesn't like the place is gonna get this comeback every time?

That you again Benny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

That you again Benny ?

:D:D he is sooo Benny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pwurple wrote: »

That's because it is. Ya I can imagine its not for everyone but they are doing well in Dublin so here should be no different.

Jumping on you because you don't like isn't fair either, your post was grand, the other lad a couple of pages back his comment was hilarious though,

Here right now and it's out the door. Big differences between upstairs and downstairs, diwnstairs all Irish staff and the service is excellent, upstairs all UK and the service is brutal.
    Downstairs everything available except Corvus, upstairs Ghostship only one available.
    So far have had a Doombar, Bengali tiger and a ghost ship. All very good.
    Hard to believe I've only parted with €8.25, my pack of Superking Menthols dwarfs my drink spend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Here right now and it's out the door. Big differences between upstairs and downstairs, diwnstairs all Irish staff and the service is excellent, upstairs all UK and the service is brutal.
    Downstairs everything available except Corvus, upstairs Ghostship only one available.
    So far have had a Doombar, Bengali tiger and a ghost ship. All very good.
    Hard to believe I've only parted with €8.25, my pack of Superking Menthols dwarfs my drink spend.

are you still there? having a staropramen wearing the England alternative European 7s rugby jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

really have you gone through the staff and asked them are they English or Irish.. I really thought people were over this crap..

Mad to get in there to see the place maybe next weekend... Sick of listening to 96fm and your man going on and on about the place as if they are stealing all the money from the other pubs muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Milly33 wrote: »
    really have you gone through the staff and asked them are they English or Irish.. I really thought people were over this crap..

Mad to get in there to see the place maybe next weekend... Sick of listening to 96fm and your man going on and on about the place as if they are stealing all the money from the other pubs muppets

Went in again last night! Place was packed. Got a bite to eat and a drink. The staff were much improved on the last time I went in. Service was quick too.

well if they impressed you fr stone they cant be that bad.... think well have to wonder in next weekend... theres no tvs in there for the rugby is there..

I didn't mean it as an Irish- English thing.
    What I meant is UK type service v Irish service.
    The staff upstairs were Scottish if you wish to define them further, they were pretty poor, one of them didn't know what ales they actually had, initially telling me they only had Ghost Ship, by some miracle they also had Doombar and Shipyard when I asked later on, same barmaid had to be shown how to use the cask pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 podgec20

I was in there again today around 4pm. Ordered the beef and stout pie but after getting all psyched up for it was told that it wasnt available so got the roast beef dinner and pepsi for 8.25 which I couldnt fault for quality nor value. Wanted to try a pint of Abbot ale afterwards but was told by barman it wasn't on today that the only 2 ales that were on were Doombar and Ghostship (I think) out of a fair selection of taps. Had the doombar and was also v nice but it was a bit frustrating that food/drink that was on the menu/ on tap in front of me wasnt available when requested. I asked one of the waiters discreetly what story was and he said that they are short a lot of stock for both food and drink at the moment and that he hoped would be sorted in a few days. Hopefully that will get sorted with time and they get adequate supplies in to meet demand as that coukd create an issue for people. Sign that the beer garden upstairs still isn't open due to maintenance still up, hope this also gets sorted soon as be nice to see and add another dimension to place.

sorry still don't see why you have to compare like that... They are either good staff or crap staff. You can paint people like that...

sorry still don't see why you have to compare like that... They are either good staff or crap staff. You can paint people like that...

You obviously have never been to a bar in the UK then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

rob316 wrote: »
    That's because it is.

Yeah, I know. :>

Anyway, like I said, it's grand. Just not my thing. Never really liked pubs with carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jokersat

Thanks to all of you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

what country people are from doesn't effect how they preform their job. Please leave any comments too that effect out of the thread

yep that's what I was thinking....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I went there for the “Sunday Roast” menu.

They were out of Turkey , chicken and the lamb. Only meat option left was beef.

This was only about 4 o Clock.

Not a drop of ale left upstairs either.

I think they underestimated how hungry/thirsty us Cork folk get :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Barr wrote: »
    I went there for the “Sunday Roast” menu.

They were out of Turkey , chicken and the lamb. Only meat option left was beef.

This was only about 4 o Clock.

Not a drop of ale left upstairs either.

I think they underestimated how hungry/thirsty us Cork folk get :pac:

Standard for a UK pub.
    Roast will run out. Get in early, no hanging around. I have accepted it at this stage that if i go for a roast after 3pm I'll be lucky to get an option.

Would have thought the same for most pubs here, not very often you would get a place doing a late roast dinner on a Sunday

Would have thought the same for most pubs here, not very often you would get a place doing a late roast dinner on a Sunday

The Wilton and The Viaduct serve carvery roast to6pm iirc, The Viaduct also than have multiple roast dinner options on the evening restaurant menu.

I'm sure there are more too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Standard for a UK pub.
    Roast will run out. Get in early, no hanging around. I have accepted it at this stage that if i go for a roast after 3pm I'll be lucky to get an option.

The roast menu is till 11 pm in spoons, not like your average pub where it finishes early.

Ahhh jes ye have a lot to be given out about the place why all the negativity cant ye just be happy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

We were there on sat night 13.75 for the round of 4 drinks whereas the round cost nearly 21 in electric so i hope they do force others to look hard at their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

In there today for lunch. Food was nice. Very good prices. Staff still learning!

Advertisement