Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This isn't the same as two grown adults walking into the place with their family. We don't know WhiteRoses and their brother, we don't know how young they look. We don't have a full picture of the situation.

The doorman questioned them, had an issue with someone in their mid-20's and someone in a school uniform entering a place that serves alcohol. Yes, they said they were just getting food, but I'm sure that doormen have been lied to before. The guy was being cautious in the situation, and actually allowed them to enter, so no issue at all.

But decided to impose a random curfew of 8pm for some bizzare reason.
    It really sounds like the doorman was making up the company policy as he went along.
    Kind of annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It really sounds like the doorman was making up the company policy as he went along.
    Kind of annoying.
    Doorman took his job seriously when two people approached (one in a school uniform, and perhaps the other was also young looking) tried to enter a premises where alcohol was being served. Questioned them and then permitted them to enter. Perhaps he suggested that they stay just the hour if they were just having food (hence 8pm), and wasn't making up policy. I don't know, but I'd like to hear both sides before getting annoyed at something as minor as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

isn't there a rule that states all minors must be off a licensed premises by 8pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

isn't there a rule that states all minors must be off a licensed premises by 8pm?

No.
    Read the thread.
    It's 9pm.
    Person in question was over 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

No.
    Read the thread.
    It's 9pm.
    Person in question was over 18.

OK, and relax...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Any news on beer availability, guest ales etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really don't see the issue.
    I thought that weatherspoons encouraged families.
    If they allow children in the bar what difference does it make if they're in school uniform or not?
    Especially when you consider that the person in question was
    (a) over 18
    (b) not drinking
    (c) accompanied by an adult not in school uniform

Thank you. He had ID on him, which he produced. The issue was the uniform. He wasn't asked for any when we ended up in SoHo because we weren't ordering alcohol.

Would those who agree with no school uniforms also take offence to a primary school aged child being inside the premises in a uniform or is the issue solely with teenagers?

As I said, I would have had no issue if his was a pub we were trying to enter. You don't need to be over 18 to purchase a meal, and this was a Thursday dinner time. We were hardly out on the piss and we haven't had issues in any similar venues in town.

They shouldn't advertise as family welcome and allow children after that time if they're going to pull that card on teenagers. The bouncers attitude put me right off, and as someone who worked in the bar industry for many years I'm very forgiving of the bullsh*t door staff have to put up with. Not in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Any news on beer availability, guest ales etc ?

i hoping to get in their tonight

kooga wrote: »
    i hoping to get in their tonight
    Went in had a Corvus stout and the Mrs had a g n t. Service a tad slow but overall grand will go back. Spoke to the duty manager they underestimated the demand for ale but now supply all sorted

kooga wrote: »
    Went in had a Corvus stout and the Mrs had a g n t. Service a tad slow but overall grand will go back. Spoke to the duty manager they underestimated the demand for ale but now supply all sorted
    Corvus

• Advertisement

Was your wife in uniform ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Called in last night at last but a bit of a fail as we could not find anywhere to sit so ended up leaving.. Was totally different look wise to what I thought. The staff alright looked a bit bewildered like they didn't have a notion what they were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭goochy

whether you are just having meal or not its a pub its not a mc donalds . also you say you went in at dinner time dont you mean teatime ? your brother should get changed into other clothes in future when going to pubs . you are obviously a young guy yourself and arent able to see common sense beyond your embarassment at being at stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

Milly33 wrote: »
    Called in last night at last but a bit of a fail as we could not find anywhere to sit so ended up leaving.. Was totally different look wise to what I thought. The staff alright looked a bit bewildered like they didn't have a notion what they were doing

How long did you stay for you to decide that all the staff looked bewildered, i dunno why i find this post rubbish but i do, the place was full since you couldn't get a seat so was clearly busy and staff rushed off there feet yet you had no dealings with them besides looking for a table, I would suggest you at least do business with them before you slate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

How long did you stay for you to decide that all the staff looked bewildered, i dunno why i find this post rubbish but i do, the place was full since you couldn't get a seat so was clearly busy and staff rushed off there feet yet you had no dealings with them besides looking for a table, I would suggest you at least do business with them before you slate them.

Calm down mate -my opinion is that its ****e no atmosphere and a smell of vinegar all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Calm down mate -my opinion is that its ****e no atmosphere and a smell of vinegar all over the place.
    Are you posting under two accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

avoid going in there for a few weeks -reckon itd be rough as fcuk ,

all the scants be all over it

looks like you made up your mind long before it even opened :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I hardly think calling the staff bewildered is slating them, pop a chill pill... We were in there long enough for one of them to approach us also so don't worry about that, we had one chap clearing a table in front of us and it was quite obvious we were looking for a seat and he didn't ask, another young one down by what I take is some kinda service station she was yawning and picking her nails and another chap on the stairs who looked like well unexcited about life... Is that enough for you..

It wouldn't put me off going in as from reading you kinda get the style of the place it was just an observation...

Just back from Spoons. Two pulled pork sandwiches, 2 kids meals, 2 kids ice creams, 1 pint of Corvus inc with pulled pork and a Pepsi, 1 pint of broadside and a coffee with carrot cake for €35.75, include 2 adult return train tickets from Mallow and it comes to €60.75.
    Food and service was very good, beer very good.
    The equivalent in Mallow, €60 just to walk down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Gave it a 2nd go yesterday after a poor first impression. The food was absolutely terrible, I had Chili con carne, the meat wasn't so bad, but the rice was rock hard like it had been sitting for ages under lights, my wife had turkey that somehow had been cut into perfect little circles and then injected with some substance to make it rock hard, a Yorkshire pudding that was so flat and rubbery, and some tinned peas, horrible. I was starving so ate mine but my wife sent hers back for a refund.

Thats 2 goes I gave it, will not be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

anyone been in there this week? they have a beer festival ( ie supposedly more real ales) .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ahhh jes ye have a lot to be given out about the place why all the negativity cant ye just be happy for them

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Dropped in yesterday for the first time, had a Sirloin steak club meal (5.5/10) including a pint of Corvus (9/10) service was excellent (10/10) the place was spotless (10/10)
    Would I go back....................yes for a pint but not for a meal....breakfast possibly, its hard to beat the Viaduct.

bogman wrote: »
    service was excellent (10/10)

They barely even have service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Telling it as it was, id be the first to criticise, praise too, are you sure you weren't in CrapDonalds?

I mean they don't have table service i.e. taking your orders etc. You have to go to the bar order and pay before you receive your food - so no, not great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Went back again yesterday, service vastly improved, all ales available and some new ones in for the fest too. Seemed a bit quiet, hope it picks up and stays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I mean they don't have table service i.e. taking your orders etc. You have to go to the bar order and pay before you receive your food - so no, not great service.[/QUOTE]

It's a pub after all which serves food nothing wrong with having to go to the bar to give your order. If you want table service best go to an actual restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Cape Clear wrote: »
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    I mean they don't have table service i.e. taking your orders etc. You have to go to the bar order and pay before you receive your food - so no, not great service.[/QUOTE]

It's a pub after all which serves food nothing wrong with having to go to the bar to give your order. If you want table service best go to an actual restaurant.

I actually prefer to pay when you order, no nasty surprises when you get your bill (most people don't tot up the order especially if adding wine etc) and when you have kids with you, no waiting around trying to get the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Just back from Spoons. Two pulled pork sandwiches, 2 kids meals, 2 kids ice creams, 1 pint of Corvus inc with pulled pork and a Pepsi, 1 pint of broadside and a coffee with carrot cake for €35.75, include 2 adult return train tickets from Mallow and it comes to €60.75.
    Food and service was very good, beer very good.
    The equivalent in Mallow, €60 just to walk down the road.

Bella Café and BYO?

Advertisement