Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

Note that former menus are still live on website.

Here is a new menu launched this week in JDW TTT Blackrock:

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern/posts/970487222990558

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Just had a look not too busy pints are between 3.50 and 3.95. Will post a pic of the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

kooga wrote: »
    Just had a look not too busy pints are between 3.50 and 3.95. Will post a pic of the menu

oh great ...lets hope they dont milk cork for higher prices...the dearest price on that dublin menu is 2.95 for a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭rob316

smurgen wrote: »
    Lots of bars in Cork like that.Cant wait to try it at the weekend.Went to Electric last week and paid nearly 7 euro for a pint of Biere Moretti.never again.

7 euro but Ernest cantillon will tell you he provided an experience and atmosphere. Pure BS just ripping punters off.

I was hoping the linen weaver would have the low dublin prices but they are still better than pretty much most places in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I wouldn't mind but Birra Morretti is absolute piss and the cheapest beer you buy in Italy.
    Its their equivalent of Dutch Gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 podgec20

Ate there last night, food is quality, v reasonable priced and great selection of beers. Can see myself being a regular :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

rob316 wrote: »
    I was hoping the linen weaver would have the low dublin prices but they are still better than pretty much most places in the city centre.

I assume the prices will come down to the Dublin levels. They started more expensive in Dublin at the beginning also and reduced them after a while. Probably adopting same model here possibly to keep riff raff out as much as possible initially to prevent the place getting a bad reputation.

Let the games commence !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

7 euro but Ernest cantillon will tell you he provided an experience and atmosphere. Pure BS just ripping punters off.

While I disagree with some of the pricing, the "experience and atmosphere" argument is a somewhat valid one. Remember, we could all drink at home alone in silence, or go to a very quiet local where 96fm is playing.

Let the games commence !
    tks how did you get a menu

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    While I disagree with some of the pricing, the "experience and atmosphere" argument is a somewhat valid one. Remember, we could all drink at home alone in silence, or go to a very quiet local where 96fm is playing.

And I'm sure you can agree a fair balance can be struck, I am heavily of the opinion €5 is more than enough for a pint in town, €7 is Temple Bar prices ffs. I was in the old oak on Friday night for a couple, €8.90 for a Fosters and Heineken, I thought that was fair and the atmosphere was good albeit a very mixed age group. The same order in the Oliver Plunkett next store was €10.80, its quite a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Pint Fosters Dublin 2.50
    Pint Fosters Cork 3.50

They can stick it, wont be near it.

I wouldn't mind but Birra Morretti is absolute piss and the cheapest beer you buy in Italy.
    Its their equivalent of Dutch Gold.

Ha ya, reminds me I was somewhere recently and they had a guest beer called Super Bock for €6 a pint. If anyone has ever been to Portugal/Algarve they will know it, its the cheapest beer goes for about €1.50 - €2.50 for a pint. I was drinking 100cl for €3.00 in one place last summer there.

kooga wrote: »
    tks how did you get a menu

A noted sports official gave it to me this morning. He's doing a bit of PR for Spoons.

A noted sports official gave it to me this morning. He's doing a bit of PR for Spoons.

oh yes i saw him in there last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And I'm sure you can agree a fair balance can be struck, I am heavily of the opinion €5 is more than enough for a pint in town, €7 is Temple Bar prices ffs.

Ah ya agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Was in there last night and enjoyed it. Thought it was going to be jammed being opening night, but it was grand. Straight up to the bar, no queuing, got a table handily. Waiting time to be served was alright. They do the one person at a time thing, but I didn't really mind. Other bigger pubs in Cork can have it four or five people deep at the bar, so you're waiting longer. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. People just chatting and enjoying themselves, no being packed in like sardines, plenty of space and comfortable. Jacks were clean and were able to cater for the crowd - not a two urinal and a toilet job for 100+ people.

The staff were inexperienced, but sure, they have to start somewhere. Every single one of them were very polite, which plenty of places don't have. That includes the security, too. Cork has a bad reputation for bouncers, but the people here treated you with plenty of respect. When you go in, they don't treat you with a cold stare, they greet you and open the door for you. At closing time, they didn't just shout "closing time, drink up and get out" while they ushered people to the door. We were upstairs and a fella came over to our table and asked politely if we could move downstairs to finish our drinks, as they'd be closing soon. They didn't really rush us, they were happy to let us finish at our own pace. One of them was chatting away with people. You felt wanted here, whereas in a lot of pubs, you don't. Despite being the consumer, the very centre of the business, you're made feel like an inconvenience in plenty of places. A lot of places have the attitude of "give us your money, drink your pint and f*ck off". I found the Linen Weaver to be much better for treating its customers well.

As an aside, I thought it was a nice touch having bilingual signs. Small things like that add to it, I think, and helps give the place a bit of character.

On the pricing, it's the standard. It's the same as the one in Blanchardstown in Dublin. The ones in Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire seem to have gone down again, after their prices had gone up to the same price as Cork a couple of months ago. So, it seems like they have prices higher, so they can lower it and make it look better in comparison. Things like Carlsberg and Tuborg aren't great value, but the €2.50 cask pints really are.

gimmick wrote: »

It depends. If you go to say, a sports pub, then yeah, you're paying for the extra service of watching a match and maybe an atmosphere from fans. But I don't think that kind of stuff applies to most pubs. Generally, it's the people that bring the atmosphere. If you're with a good group of people, you're going to enjoy yourself wherever you go. I've been in this one and one of the one's in Dublin and I've found them to be no more lacking than most pubs. And they're much better than the likes of Crane Lane, the Bróg and Sober Lane, because you can actually hold a conversation without having to shout at the top of your voice. We were there for the evening and felt no need to move on somewhere else for want of some elusive " experience and atmosphere".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds great.. Was saying to a few people it was mentioned they had no tvs and everyone loved the idea.. We called into the new one down the GPO and it was just annoying as there was a tv in every corner.

Sounds like a winner cant wait to pay a visit there

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

How many/which cask ales had they on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What time does it open in the mornings?

• Advertisement

How many/which cask ales had they on?

cask ales

selection of hand pulled craft ales - didn't see the brands
    in addition the menu lists

adnams ghost ship, abbot ale, sharps doom bar all €2.50 a pint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Looking thru the menu and saw that shorts like whiskey are x price for a single and y price for a double but its not double the price! Is this the norm? I dont usually drink shorts when im out unless im well on and never took any notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

.red. wrote: »
    Looking thru the menu and saw that shorts like whiskey are x price for a single and y price for a double but its not double the price! Is this the norm? I dont usually drink shorts when im out unless im well on and never took any notice!

Yes this is normal.

.red. wrote: »

In JDW pubs a double is 2.00 extra.

In typical pubs a double is double the price.

This makes doubles particularly good value in JDW.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What time does it open in the mornings?

Typically, JDW open from 8am - 11:30 pm.

See www.jdwetherspoon.ie and click on the Facebook links

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭.red.

Geuze wrote: »
    In JDW pubs a double is 2.00 extra.

In typical pubs a double is double the price.

This makes doubles particularly good value in JDW.

Thats what i thought.
    I can see a lot of "double vodka and a spare glass" orders

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Was in there last night and enjoyed it. Thought it was going to be jammed being opening night, but it was grand. Straight up to the bar, no queuing, got a table handily. Waiting time to be served was alright. They do the one person at a time thing, but I didn't really mind. Other bigger pubs in Cork can have it four or five people deep at the bar, so you're waiting longer. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. People just chatting and enjoying themselves, no being packed in like sardines, plenty of space and comfortable. Jacks were clean and were able to cater for the crowd - not a two urinal and a toilet job for 100+ people.

The staff were inexperienced, but sure, they have to start somewhere. Every single one of them were very polite, which plenty of places don't have. That includes the security, too. Cork has a bad reputation for bouncers, but the people here treated you with plenty of respect. When you go in, they don't treat you with a cold stare, they greet you and open the door for you. At closing time, they didn't just shout "closing time, drink up and get out" while they ushered people to the door. We were upstairs and a fella came over to our table and asked politely if we could move downstairs to finish our drinks, as they'd be closing soon. They didn't really rush us, they were happy to let us finish at our own pace. One of them was chatting away with people. You felt wanted here, whereas in a lot of pubs, you don't. Despite being the consumer, the very centre of the business, you're made feel like an inconvenience in plenty of places. A lot of places have the attitude of "give us your money, drink your pint and f*ck off". I found the Linen Weaver to be much better for treating its customers well.

As an aside, I thought it was a nice touch having bilingual signs. Small things like that add to it, I think, and helps give the place a bit of character.

On the pricing, it's the standard. It's the same as the one in Blanchardstown in Dublin. The ones in Blackrock and Dún Laoghaire seem to have gone down again, after their prices had gone up to the same price as Cork a couple of months ago. So, it seems like they have prices higher, so they can lower it and make it look better in comparison. Things like Carlsberg and Tuborg aren't great value, but the €2.50 cask pints really are.

It depends. If you go to say, a sports pub, then yeah, you're paying for the extra service of watching a match and maybe an atmosphere from fans. But I don't think that kind of stuff applies to most pubs. Generally, it's the people that bring the atmosphere. If you're with a good group of people, you're going to enjoy yourself wherever you go. I've been in this one and one of the one's in Dublin and I've found them to be no more lacking than most pubs. And they're much better than the likes of Crane Lane, the Bróg and Sober Lane, because you can actually hold a conversation without having to shout at the top of your voice. We were there for the evening and felt no need to move on somewhere else for want of some elusive " experience and atmosphere".

Perfect.can't wait to try it. Have friends from abroad hone for the weekend and they're all looking forward to it . impossible to have convo in crane lane or sobar lane when it's busy.

Went there last night for dinner. The place was packed. Decor was very nice. Has a much more upmarket feel than I thought it would. Food was good pub grub. A few teething problems with the staff at the bar but that will sort itself out in time. It's handy you pay for your meal when you order. No hanging around waiting for a waiter to get you the bill. I'll go again for evening pints with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hotcontents

The prices are based on the location and on the rents etc.

For that reason I always expect the Cork one to be more expensive than the likes of Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire which are not located in a major city.

The Blanchardstown one has higher prices than Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire and this is due mostly to the rent (and location).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Called in this afternoon for lunch and to cure the curiosity in the place and I must saw it certantly suprised me. First thing that hits you straight away coming in the door is that it's a very much restaraunt vibe that comes across rather than a cheap boozer. The place comes across very well and the decoration has been done to a preety high standard. At 3pm, the place was really buzzing with every table on the ground floor taken and even on the 1st floor I was lucky to grab a seat. You wouldnt even notice the lack of TV's and music as there was a self generated atmosphere from the amount of people in there. The food was great value for what I got (The Gourmet Burger) but the presentation on the plate was fairly sloppy unfortunately. Along with the staff's over exuberence, being asked is everything alright 5 times in 20 mins was a wee bit intrusive, that was the extent of the problems but that'll be ironed out over time I suppose. Went in alone but would definately recommend it to others and try again myself.

Advertisement