Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

Puibo wrote: »
    Nah, that wont happen. That is unless w/spoons turns out to be just as good as the others. Sure why would you want to spend most of the night in a crap bar??

Because you are skint perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

ROY RACE wrote:
    Because you are skint perhaps.

If I was skint I'm not sure id be hanging around wetherspoons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Apparently they're open....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭thomil

horgan_p wrote: »

Training operations on an invitation only basis. Apparently, they're trying to get a feel for the place and the processes before opening properly on September 8th. There was a raffle for the invitations at work today. I didn't win any, though ;)

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They don't open until the 8th.

In order to train the staff they were giving out passes for a free burger and drink (with a maximum stay of 30 mins), they did the same thing in the Dublin ones (Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire), if you are around the area at the right time you might be lucky and get a pass :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's for training purposes, you need a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

My OH got passes for two from work so we went in yesterday. There was a special training food menu with about 15 or so items on it. I had the sirloin steak, tired some of the ales and I was happy enough. I was nicely impressed with the layout and the decor. I could definitely see myself going back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

People will be put out by this, but not realise that they have probably been in a 'Spoons if they have been through any airport in the UK. They are fine, not for everyone but what pub is fit for everyone?
    I personally wouldn't be seen inside some pubs in the City but that's not for me to bad mouth them and try and stop everyone from going in there.
    I would much rather support my local, at the end of the day all i have to drink is maybe 5 pints every other week. Not going to break the bank. For a team night out, where we have a budget then Spoons is great, makes the budget go further and some food to boot which is often acceptable.
    So what's the inside like, do they have TV rolling terrestrial TV and no background music?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

I’m guessing tomorrow it will be jammers (probably full of boardsies) :pac:

Do they have TV’s to watch football etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Wetherspoons don't have TVs or music.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »

Not all.. some do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Lux23 wrote: »
    Others have mentioned that some do have TV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Thats a shame if no tv , I'm guessing its more of a restuarant geared towards families etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Barr wrote: »
    I’m guessing tomorrow it will be jammers (probably full of boardsies) :pac:

Do they have TV’s to watch football etc ?

can we have a boardies section tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

I was there on Sunday ( got tickets for training day so free dinner and drink to help the staff train - how bad !) Interior is lovely ... lots of high tables and high stools... its pretty big and nice upstairs. There is a roof terrace as well but I didn't go up there.
    There is a TV but they don't put on sound from what I gather.
    It is what it is .... grand for cheap booze and a few socials ;food a bit Meh but you get what you pay for !! Be interesting to see how it goes ... I can see a few teething problems when it opens as staff get hang on how it works and I imagine busy with lots of people sussing it out and not to mention some thirsty students as they return to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Are they training the staff to rigidly only take one order at a time and move at a snails pace? Any Spoons I have ever been in in the UK, the service has been very very poor.

gimmick wrote: »
    Are they training the staff to rigidly only take one order at a time and move at a snails pace? Any Spoons I have ever been in in the UK, the service has been very very poor.

Standard UK service, not just in 'spoons. A lot is down to cocktails(do spoons even do cocktails) and the food ordering process(everything has so many options).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Why has the opening of this one been very low key? When the first two in Dublin opened, it was all over their social media pages, they were giving information on how to get tickets for the training days etc. This one hasn't had a post for over a week. You wouldn't think it was opening tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

"no tvs" ...been in loads in UK that have.
    W'spoon will have a place in society. it will not simulate a proper/great local . they will serve beer at bottom prices. people will pop in/ out..

Dance if you want to dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Why has the opening of this one been very low key? When the first two in Dublin opened, it was all over their social media pages, they were giving information on how to get tickets for the training days etc. This one hasn't had a post for over a week. You wouldn't think it was opening tomorrow.

Its opening tonight, I'd expect either this weekend or the weekend after for the official opening, expect a bit of hype then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JD Wetherspoons watchers based outside Cork would be very grateful if somebody could post up a scan or photo of the menu, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Geuze wrote: »
    JD Wetherspoons watchers based outside Cork would be very grateful if somebody could post up a scan or photo of the menu, please.

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/irish_menu.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

moyners wrote: »
    Is the one in Douglas still in the works because the only two applications on the council planning website for that property are both dead - one has been withdrawn and the other older one is incomplete with no documents submitted?

JD2.jpg
    JD1.jpg
    JD3.jpg
    Rumour that they may be going down a different route in Douglas, I presume they are looking at purchasing an existing establishment?? anyone hear anything on the vine:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mod snip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

hoping to pop in tonight for a look as tuesday night is my night in the city....................is there a dress code?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

kooga wrote: »
    hoping to pop in tonight for a look as tuesday night is my night in the city....................is there a dress code?

Yes, Clothes....

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

pints for 2.50 to 3 euro :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

P.lane78 wrote: »
    pints for 2.50 to 3 euro :eek::eek::eek:

First time in Wetherspoons? :D

Managers special in Blackrock (Dublin) is currently 1.50 (cans of The Crisp, Bengali Tiger and Sweet Action) and a burger and chips for 3euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

fair play to them ...I wish them luck ...let people vote with there euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

gimmick wrote: »

Lots of bars in Cork like that.Cant wait to try it at the weekend.Went to Electric last week and paid nearly 7 euro for a pint of Biere Moretti.never again.

Advertisement