Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Would this be decent for families for a dinner around 6/7pm? Not toddlers or anything, just two adults and two teens. Would like to try the food and have a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Techmaster wrote: »
    Would this be decent for families for a dinner around 6/7pm? Not toddlers or anything, just two adults and two teens. Would like to try the food and have a pint!

yep it be perfect for sure but just set expectations for food TBH - its nothing to rave about - I've had worse pub grub though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

CianDon wrote: »
    The food was great value for what I got (The Gourmet Burger) but the presentation on the plate was fairly sloppy unfortunately..

This was one thing i noticed anytime i ate there in the uk, the food was just chucked on the plate and served. No fancy positioning of anything like in a restaurant. I figured i was paying for a cheap pub dinner tho and as long as it tasted good it didnt bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Being able to buy 4 pints for a tenner (Adnams Ghost Ship, Sharps Doom are both €2.50 a pint) will be a game changer. Having the option to buy esoteric "craft beers" for this price will encourage tourists, and keep the overpriced local chains in check.
    Whilst I feel sorry for some of the local chains who bought their properties at the top of the market and are now stuck in negative equity for many of their pubs, the market will ultimately decide.
    No matter what some may think, being able to buy a Coke for €1.95, or a Rock Shandy for €3.90, (as listed on the Linen Weaver Menu) is much more realistic, and serves to highlight how the local chains have been exploiting their dominance of the market in the city centre in recent years.

One notable exception to the above has to be The Old Oak: love it or hate it, it is a Cork institution, shows all major sporting events on large screen TVs and always has live bands playing, with prices that have consistently been lower than the local chains.

OK, so wetherspoons doesn't have a candle stuck in an empty wine bottle on every table, but is that really worth an extra €1 per pint?

As for Sky sports, if I really need to see a match, I merely turn on Sky Go. Whatever I want, wherever I am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Passed it a few times over the last couple of days, think its a great addition to the city and a really nice looking pub from the outside I must say, really brightens up Paul St. The Newport always looked like a run down whole of a place.

Going to check it out Saturday night so looking forward to sampling some excellent beers at great prices.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Went there yesterday for lunch with a few work colleagues. As mentioned above we were all impressed with the decor and atmosphere.

It was quite busy and the ordering system is good, food served quickly and it was decent for the price. Not the best burgers in the city but good value for what we got.

Will defo be going back for a few pints at a later stage

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Going tonight, place is amazing, bit odd with zero music playing but for 2.50 pints you can get used to it, good for conversation anyway. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

They will be grand once pat fitz doesnt get in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Paid a visit yesterday, seems grand and was quite busy for early evening. Bar staff are still finding their feet but am sure they'll get there. My friend wasn't too impressed with how they made her hot chocolate! Basically a squirt of chocolate sauce into a mug, add hot water, stir & then a squirt of cream from a can on top, could do better they I think.

Seems they underestimated the thirst for €2.50 pints in Cork as they were out of the the Ghostship beer that I was looking forward to trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

was designated driver last saturday night and had a function in the clarion, paid €5.35 for a non alcoholic erdinger. Fine its a hotel. dropped the gang over to the linen weaver had had an erdinger €2.95.just an example of the broad pricing structure about in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Went there on Friday night - thought it was really nice, the no music took a bit of getting used to but it was much easier to hold a conversation....(must be my old age!). Got a desperados for 3.25.....normally would be paying a fiver or over it so pretty happy with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Went for Sunday lunch yesterday had the roast beef and a Beamish €12.50, grand beef was a bit overdone as was the Yorkshire Pud. Still grand for €12.50. Had 3 pints of Doombar and a Corvus for dessert.
    Grand afternoon out for €33.50 including a packet of Superkings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

grand beef was a bit overdone as was the Yorkshire Pud.

the staff are probably still getting familiar with the microwave settings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

the staff are probably still getting familiar with the microwave settings ;)

You don't get chefs in there.. you get Kitchen staff. No rank.. everyone is part of Kitchen staff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Went in there at the weekend atmosphere was like a funeral afters.craft beer gives me the dumps so.had a.4 euro heino which isnt much better than any other bar.overall impression rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

had a.4 euro heino which isnt much better than any other bar

Was that a glass of heineke? Would love to know where you get a bottle or even pint for €4 in cork city center.

jabberwock wrote: »
    Was that a glass of heineke? Would love to know where you get a bottle or even pint for €4 in cork city center.[/quote

Didn't think you could get Heineken there

kooga wrote: »
    Was that a glass of heineke? Would love to know where you get a bottle or even pint for €4 in cork city center.[/quote

You can't .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 podgec20

You can't get Heineken there. Wetherspoons had a very public falling out with Heineken and result is they can't sell Heineken or Murphy's in Ireland so it must have been either a phantom visit or Lemmy has his drinks mixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I say Lemmy is telling porkies or he was in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went in there at the weekend atmosphere was like a funeral afters.craft beer gives me the dumps so.had a.4 euro heino which isnt much better than any other bar.overall impression rubbish

What pub do you own in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

You didn't get a Heino there. They don't sell it.

If I was cynical, I'd say you made up that post, for some unknown reason.

I was in The Linen Weaver on Saturday afternoon. It was packed. I couldn't get a table so I left again. But it seemed to be nice enough. Can't comment on the quality of food or drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They dont serve Heino

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    What pub do you own in town?

Lemmy rhymes with Benny.

I also love the incredibly sweeping statement "craft beer gives me the dumps" !!:D:D:D

I've no doubt that he's tried them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

So every craft beer gives you the dumps :pac:

If thats the case heineken should be running a river through you :D

podgec20 wrote: »

I thought they had made up, pretty sure they did and the products are in their other bars but for some reason, not cork.

They're in their bars in the UK, in Ireland they've only agreed to supply Beamish and Fosters.
    The Coors Light on sale in Wetherspoon Ireland is imported from Molson Coors Uk, when Heinekens licence to brew Coors in Ireland expires, this situation may change.
    Carlsberg is imported from Carlsberg Tetley and the bottled Bud is brought in directly from Anheuser Busch UK.
    No Diageo products of any sort, Guinness, Smithwicks, Smirnoff, Bushmills, Baileys, Johnny Walker available.
    Beamish is a great pint and whilst I prefer Guinness, I find Beamish a bit more consistent between different pubs whereas Guinness varies greatly.

They're in their bars in the UK, in Ireland they've only agreed to supply Beamish and Fosters.
    The Coors Light on sale in Wetherspoon Ireland is imported from Molson Coors Uk, when Heinekens licence to brew Coors in Ireland expires, this situation may change.
    Carlsberg is imported from Carlsberg Tetley and the bottled Bud is brought in directly from Anheuser Busch UK.
    No Diageo products of any sort, Guinness, Smithwicks, Smirnoff, Bushmills, Baileys, Johnny Walker available.
    Beamish is a great pint and whilst I prefer Guinness, I find Beamish a bit more consistent between different pubs whereas Guinness varies greatly.

have you had a pint of corvus stout?

will be doing a delivery to dealz later today so might pop in for a pint.

have you had a pint of corvus stout?

will be doing a delivery to dealz later today so might pop in for a pint.

HDMI cables ?
    Corvus is nice, dry, reminds me of Cotton Ball stout only sweeter.
    Brewed by Wadsworth is Swindon, i like their 6X Bitter.

HDMI cables ?
    Corvus is nice, dry, reminds me of Cotton Ball stout only sweeter.
    Brewed by Wadsworth is Swindon, i like their 6X Bitter.

milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Went in earlier, a lot of products not available, no chicken wings, no southern fired chicken, only 1 ale, 1 stout on tap. Presumably from a busy weekend but a bit disappointing. Staff are very green, very unsure of themselves which is odd given the 12 week training they do. Again it can only improve.

Great pint of Beamish in there and great burger and fries, not bad for 10.75. Will defo be back in a few weeks once things have settled down. They are also advertising an ale fest in October which looks quite interesting!

Advertisement