Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

sozbox wrote: »
    Went back again yesterday, service vastly improved, all ales available and some new ones in for the fest too. Seemed a bit quiet, hope it picks up and stays!

I think it is often quite challenging especially when a new establishment is opening for the first time especially where Food & Drinks Service to the Public is concerned. Many hotels, restaurants, public bars will go through a whole host of different teething problems. Issues could involve management, chefs, kitchen staff, bar staff etc; Everything from stock choice such as availability or non availability of certain products referenced on menus, layout/design of premises, suitable equipment working properly (or a lack of) can often cause issues for staff as well. Hopefully, owner, management & staff will all improve in their respective roles and the full product range will be available in top quality so as not to disappoint punters going forward as if they fail to address common concerns expressed by punters now, they will have a more challenging time.

Wetherspoons & The Linen Weaver will need to understand that those customers/punters used to dining out on a regular basis in the Cork region are usually accustomed to good quality and service where Food & Drink is concerned. Cork has often been referred to as the "Gourmet Food Capital of Ireland" I hope they are successful and that they can bring even lower prices but only so long as food/drinks quality and not to mention service is not compromised. JD Wetherspoons spent enough on the premises and I suspect they will rise to the challenge - the sooner the better as we in Cork expect wide choice, brilliant value in terms of amazing prices and exceptional service!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Went in yesterday for the first time . They had about 6 ales on tried 3 of them all were nice. They had a cask cider too didn't try it. Had chicken burger and chips. It was nice nothing to write home about but tasty enough given that and 2 pints came to 11.26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Apparently no real ale available over the weekend just gone, supplier issues.
    Worried now as Wetherspoons won the vote for our X-mas party venue this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

We two are having our cmas party there on Friday night will give them a ring during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Have the staff learned yet or are we still being patient with them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gimmick wrote: »
    Have the staff learned yet or are we still being patient with them??

In there last week and wanted to pay using Visa contactless, lad put it in the terminal (behind a pillar where I couldn't easily reach it), I asked was it broken, he said "we don't have it here". You're literally surrounded by signs advertising it, never mind the symbol that takes up a good 15% of the terminal. Next guy did it without asking.

They were out of the first two ales I asked for. Place was packed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Was there for the 1st time there Monday night with one of the lads. Was shocked with how cheap the drinks are I was expecting cheap but not like this.

3.25 got a bottle of craft beer I nearly had Hart attack with how cheap that is as must of them beers cost more in a off lieance:O. I had the mocha porter and you would normaly pay 6 euro + a bottls anywhere else.

Also seen grey ghoose vodka is stupid cheap In there I think 7.80 for a double. I paid more for a single in Kilkenny of all places ....

Pints for 2.50 as well bargin. A ale for 2.50 come on like any other pub in Cork it's 5+ a pint.

I went in there expecting cheap drinks and somewhere to have a chat I got that and will go back again expecting the same.

Went there last night for the office outing, no Doombar or ghost ship, the lightest ale available was Old Hooky at 4.6%.
    Had copious drinks starting with Navy ship, then onto to Corvus, found them both a bit too sweet.
    Has the fish n chips which rather excellent.

Went there last night for the office outing, no Doombar or ghost ship, the lightest ale available was Old Hooky at 4.6%.
    Had copious drinks starting with Navy ship, then onto to Corvus, found them both a bit too sweet.
    Has the fish n chips which rather excellent.
    There as well had an abbot exmoor gold old empire old hooky and a can of Bengali which kind of pushed me over the edge along with the vegetarian curry and an apple crumble

kooga wrote: »
    There as well had an abbot exmoor gold old empire old hooky and a can of Bengali which kind of pushed me over the edge along with the vegetarian curry and an apple crumble
    Bengali is lethal.

• Advertisement

good to hear thye have a few differing casks on.. will be hitting them for the Christmas night out soon.

good to hear thye have a few differing casks on.. will be hitting them for the Christmas night out soon.

there should of been more I'd say they had 50% availability no sharps doom bar or ghost ship on Friday evening which was a pity.

Went in yesterday for lunch. It was like faulty towers. Seems to be a lot of new staff. Arrived in at just gone 12. For what was meant to be a quick bite. Told at the till No roasts available. Checked just before leaving with another staff member and told it was on. He was correct. Kids had great feed 1 sausage and mash 1 beef roast . We had turkey roast. Meat poor and cool the rest was spot on. Was on the coffee but checked and they had a out 6 ales on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Myself and a buddy went in their last week about 8ish we had intended to go to burritos and blues next door but it had just closed. Spoons was jammers but we grabbed a seat upstairs, went up to the bar to order the food, not sure if we'd have been served sitting down. Both of us got the pulled pork burritos, which were brilliant and very big to be fair. Got an IPA which was muck though. Pretty happy with the place over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Anyone else hear that Wetherspoons is going into the Darby in Ballincollig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Myself and a buddy went in their last week about 8ish we had intended to go to burritos and blues next door but it had just closed. Spoons was jammers but we grabbed a seat upstairs, went up to the bar to order the food, not sure if we'd have been served sitting down. Both of us got the pulled pork burritos, which were brilliant and very big to be fair. Got an IPA which was muck though. Pretty happy with the place over all.

You have to order from the bar. There is no table service. Standard Spoons policy.

Went in for a bite and a few drinks last night. My god the staff are slow. I genuinely wonder are they told to be as this is s trait in every spoons I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

gimmick wrote: »
    Went in for a bite and a few drinks last night. My god the staff are slow. I genuinely wonder are they told to be as this is s trait in every spoons I've been to.

Every time I've been in it takes an age to get served. It's like they're not real bar staff. Walked in at 8 the other night, it was 8.15 by the time someone served us at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes, I heard this too. Haven't been in the Darby for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Mmm will be going there with the kids at the weekend as the reviews look quite appetizing .

A few colleagues went and were saying it was awful in there!

Went in their last week, 8 ales advertised including Deuchars which I really like, only 4 available however and Deuchars wasnt one of them.
    No fish available either, no smoothies for the kids.
    Stock issues still a problem and the bar staff were beyond useless, had to check the price of a Real Ale despite the price on display everywhere.
    Ended up having the Chicken Jalfrezi, fine but a bit thin with a pint of Jennings Sneke Lifter for dessert which was an excellent pint.
    Two mains with a side of Onion Bhajis and Garlic bread, two kids meals, two pints, 1 pepsi, 2 kids ice creams, 1 coffee with cheesecake for €44.

was in the other evening . Chicken buritto AND a pint of shipyard pale ale 11 euro. both were fantastic. burrito is loaded with chicken ( 2euro extra) comes with some nachos and diops, well satisifed on all fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RupertsHabit

was in the other evening . Chicken buritto AND a pint of shipyard pale ale 11 euro. both were fantastic. burrito is loaded with chicken ( 2euro extra) comes with some nachos and diops, well satisifed on all fronts.

Second that on the nachos and dips. nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

JohnK wrote: »
    In case anyone didn't spot it, there was a notice in the paper during the week that they're after applying for permission to open in the old Bank of Ireland in Douglas - across the road from Barry's.

Can't find a more recent thread...no Wetherspoons in Douglas..!

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/wetherspoons-calls-time-on-douglas-plans/1873561/

Wetherspoons are ok IMO - they serve a purpose.

Nothing wrong with a bit of competition surely...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thats a shame, would have been good to get something open in there especially now that there's another big empty building in the area with XtraVision after closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

JT26 wrote: »
    Whats your opinions of wetherspoons,worth the visit next time i'm in Cork?

No.

JT26 wrote: »
    Whats your opinions of wetherspoons,worth the visit next time i'm in Cork?

Wetherspoons are the same the world over. I wouldn't be rushing in there. The staff certainly dont!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It is odd how this place has such bad staff... If they were trained especially they are fairly shocking... The lady we had who served us even looked well tardy as such her shoes were falling apart... I will say we did enjoy are visit there and will most defo go back in there but the staff something needs to change here..

JT26 id say tis worth a visit alright but don't expect great service, seat yerselfs and be ready to do a bit of leg work to the bar.. The food in fairness is nice and for the price of it tis a bargin

Heard on the radio at the weekend that they aren't moving into Douglas as well more or less it was too much hassle to get the site,and the Darbys is just a rumor

Advertisement