Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Folks, I know this is a Cork thread, and I am a Dub shock horror! But I have been in many a Cork City pub with great delight, the Long Valley, the HiB and the Mutton Lane are my quirky faves.

Anyway, I was in the Ws in DunLaoghaire two weeks ago, after a bracing walk on the North Pier on a cold day. We had a delicious lunch and a pint of Bud like beer, and a glass of Merlot, €20 the lot!

I could not fault it. Now bear in mind it was daytime, a sunny day and the place was jammers.

No intrusive TVs that I could see from our seats, you go up to the bar, order your meal and drink (included in the meal price) give your table number and job's Oxo.

I will go back. Competition is great. There is a pub across the road beside the train station, and it was empty.

The place itself is on two levels, with a huge outside space. Very nice views across the harbour, great location.

All in all, for the price it was excellent.

Is the place in Cork that's earmarked the one on the lane where there was a curtained off kind of "stage" thing in the place? Can't remember the name.

But all pubs in Cork are great. So different to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Folks, I know this is a Cork thread, and I am a Dub shock horror! But I have been in many a Cork City pub with great delight, the Long Valley, the HiB and the Mutton Lane are my quirky faves.

Anyway, I was in the Ws in DunLaoghaire two weeks ago, after a bracing walk on the North Pier on a cold day. We had a delicious lunch and a pint of Bud like beer, and a glass of Merlot, €20 the lot!

I could not fault it. Now bear in mind it was daytime, a sunny day and the place was jammers.

No intrusive TVs that I could see from our seats, you go up to the bar, order your meal and drink (included in the meal price) give your table number and job's Oxo.

I will go back. Competition is great. There is a pub across the road beside the train station, and it was empty.

The place itself is on two levels, with a huge outside space. Very nice views across the harbour, great location.

Is the place in Cork that's earmarked the one on the lane where there was a curtained off kind of "stage" thing in the place? Can't remember the name.

The new WS pub in Cork City Centre is to be called The Linen Weaver and is scheduled to open 1st of September. Your description of the interior pub layout does not sound like the former Newport Bar on Paul Street that I recall - it was mainly aimed at 21-30 yrs age bracket and there was access to an adjoining nightclub. It had a mod. minimalist ambiance with a pale colour scheme inside and bar premises is opposite main pedestrian entrance to the Paul Street-TESCO Shopping Centre.

The new WS pub in Cork City Centre is to be called The Linen Weaver and is scheduled to open 1st of September. Your description of the interior pub layout does not sound like the former Newport Bar on Paul Street that I recall - it was mainly aimed at 21-30 yrs age bracket and there was access to an adjoining nightclub. It had a mod. minimalist ambiance with a pale colour scheme inside and bar premises is opposite main pedestrian entrance to the Paul Street-TESCO Shopping Centre.

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure I'm thinking of somewhere else. It had an outside space (smoking area!) that was long and narrow, then you went in by a side door. There was definitely a curtain or something at the left hand side of the bar, and someone told me it was a stage.... at some stage!

Come on Corkies, where am I talking about!

Thanks for the info.

I'm sure I'm thinking of somewhere else. It had an outside space (smoking area!) that was long and narrow, then you went in by a side door. There was definitely a curtain or something at the left hand side of the bar, and someone told me it was a stage.... at some stage!

Definitely sounds like "The Bodega" on Cornmarket Street (district this large pub is situated is more commonly known as The Coal Quay where outside market trading takes place at stalls erected)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Thanks for the info.

That sounds like Crane Lane - you enter through the smoking laneway and the door is on the left hand side then as you go up the lane. There's also a stage that they sometimes have music on but its quite often just curtained off too.

• Advertisement

moyners wrote: »
    That sounds like Crane Lane - you enter through the smoking laneway and the door is on the left hand side then as you go up the lane. There's also a stage that they sometimes have music on but its quite often just curtained off too.

You win the prize. That's it. Thanks!

Thanks to all who made suggestions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I've been to the one in Dun Laoighre too. And I'll echo your sentiments. I couldn't fault it. The only thing I can say is that despite the place being huge, we seriously struggled to get a seat and there were loads standing. The place was packed. The Cork edition will be just as big and hopefully as successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I've been to the one in Dun Laoighre too. And I'll echo your sentiments. I couldn't fault it. The only thing I can say is that despite the place being huge, we seriously struggled to get a seat and there were loads standing. The place was packed. The Cork edition will be just as big and hopefully as successful.

going on the premises they bought it will be one of the biggest pubs in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I remember my first time in Mangans many years ago, and I looked over towards the dance floor and I thought the place was huge, took me awhile to realise it was all mirrors. But with the Newport incorporated into it it will be a massive place. Are they keeping the levels, think it went up three or four floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    I remember my first time in Mangans many years ago, and I looked over towards the dance floor and I thought the place was huge, took me awhile to realise it was all mirrors. But with the Newport incorporated into it it will be a massive place. Are they keeping the levels, think it went up three or four floors.

I done the exact same except I actually walked into the mirror thinking my buddy's were over there when they were behind me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Any update on the Douglas one in the old bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Spoons in Dun Laoighaire is a ****hole, run by a bunch of children on low wages, food is muck. But my god it's cheap, 3 pints for under 8EUR!! Very hard to complain when you're getting such value for money. Grand for a couple before you head off somewhere else or it you want to find a quite corner and have a catch up with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

i think you nailed it there spiderman.. "Grand for a couple before you head off somewhere else or it you want to find a quite corner and have a catch up with someone."
    . Ive been in a lot of spoons in the UK and they serve a purpose. Cheap beer in a comfortable surround not the kind of place you will stay all day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

i think you nailed it there spiderman.. "Grand for a couple before you head off somewhere else or it you want to find a quite corner and have a catch up with someone."
    . Ive been in a lot of spoons in the UK and they serve a purpose. Cheap beer in a comfortable surround not the kind of place you will stay all day and night.

There's very little bars I'd want to stay in all night long.nice to mix it up a bit.

You win the prize. That's it. Thanks!

Thanks to all who made suggestions too.

Sorry about getting the pub wrong - I've never been to the Crane Lane - the curtain in the Bodega threw me. You'll have to make a return visit to check out The Crane Lane (Off Pembroke Street) and I reckon you might also like The Bodega too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

In the Irish Times today, Linen Weaver is opening on September 1st.

Latest Update on JD Wetherspoons plans in Cork City Centre and suburb of Douglas Village East

The last of the three pubs to open will be The Linen Weaver in Cork, which is due to start serving from 1 September.

It has also exchanged contracts for a site on East Douglas Street, Cork, but the company is still waiting for planning and licensing approvals.

excerpt from article:
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-ireland-2113344-May2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Latest Update on JD Wetherspoons plans in Cork City Centre and suburb of Douglas Village East

The last of the three pubs to open will be The Linen Weaver in Cork, which is due to start serving from 1 September.

It has also exchanged contracts for a site on East Douglas Street, Cork, but the company is still waiting for planning and licensing approvals.

excerpt from article:
    http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/jd-wetherspoon-ireland-2113344-May2015/

Presume that this is the old bank in Douglas village, opposite Barry's...?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

blindsider wrote: »
    Presume that this is the old bank in Douglas village, opposite Barry's...?

Watch how long the planning permission will get held up on that one

horgan_p wrote: »
    Watch how long the planning permission will get held up on that one

I don't think the publicans will get away with holding things up too long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

lets hope it's soon, it'd be great for Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

diograis wrote: »
    lets hope it's soon, it'd be great for Douglas.

silly question but why would it be great?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Well it'll hopefully introduce some competition and bring down the ridiculously high prices plus introduce some beers you typically don't see in Douglas pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

LeNNoX wrote: »
    silly question but why would it be great?

Even if you never will step foot in the JD's or hate the place, you will still benefit by competition lowering the price of drinks in the other spots that have a stronghold on Douglas at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Even if you never will step foot in the JD's or hate the place, you will still benefit by competition lowering the price of drinks in the other spots that have a stronghold on Douglas at the minute.

sounds good - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

other pubs in douglas should also see greater footfall. 'Spoons aren't everyone cup of tea. if people head out to douglas they may head to wetherspoons and then leave to another nearby establishment with live music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

As far as I know Weatherspoons dont show live Sport so the other pubs should be fine.

mikeym wrote: »
    As far as I know Weatherspoons dont show live Sport so the other pubs should be fine.

The one I was in over in Manchester did but that was the only one I ever seen with tvs

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The one I was in over in Manchester did but that was the only one I ever seen with tvs

To finally sort this debate out re sports/tvs..

Here's a link which details all the bars that have sports.
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/sports

None, yet, in Ireland have Sports.

• Advertisement

To finally sort this debate out re sports/tvs..

Here's a link which details all the bars that have sports.
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/sports

None, yet, in Ireland have Sports.
    That link has zero information on sports

Advertisement