Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons In Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Even if you never will step foot in the JD's or hate the place, you will still benefit by competition lowering the price of drinks in the other spots that have a stronghold on Douglas at the minute.

Like the ones that sneakily raise prices after a certain time?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That link has zero information on sports

Have to disagree with you.

I thought it was a pretty good link and answered my question when i wanted to know what Wehterspoons had Sport on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

But its not showing what Wetherspoons are showing sport on TV, its showing which Wetherspoons locations are near the various grounds where the sports events will take place - it's even in the description: "This will help you plan for those special sporting events. Whether you're looking for a pub to celebrate your teams win, or just fancy a bite to eat before the game, this app will help you find the perfect place near your event."

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Apologies,

I copied the incorrect link. You need the following

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/find/_/2/20/_/established,just-opened/1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Apologies,

I copied the incorrect link. You need the following

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/find/_/2/20/_/established,just-opened/1000

When did they start having TVs in JD Wetherspoon pubs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Interesting, they're really going after all the different markets with their tvs, meeting facilities & wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

spiderdan wrote: »
    But my god it's cheap, 3 pints for under 8EUR!! Very hard to complain when you're getting such value for money. Grand for a couple before you head off somewhere else or it you want to find a quite corner and have a catch up with someone.

During a sale in early 2015, I paid 1.85 per pint in JD WS Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

i noticed all of benny macabe's pubs which used to stock symonds cider have stopped doing so and now stock orchard thieves instead, i wonder has the fact its 2.95 for symonds in weatherspoons got anything to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

i noticed all of benny macabe's pubs which used to stock symonds cider have stopped doing so and now stock orchard thieves instead, i wonder has the fact its 2.95 for symonds in weatherspoons got anything to do with.

I doubt it, they're the same company. Do you think Cork pubs will no longer sell Beamish cos Spoons are selling it at €2.50.
    Dat would be economic suicide in da citay like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

probably just some incentive offered by Heineken to create more awareness for Orchard Thieves, which seems to be getting bad reviews cos it's sour mankiness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe there was massive customer demand for the new cider?

Or on the other hand, maybe Heineken offered a rake of free stock and/or a load of cash to do so?

Probably the former!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

JohnK wrote: »
    Interesting, they're really going after all the different markets with their tvs, meeting facilities & wifi

They're not a huge chain for nothing ... they know their markets and adapt.
    Some of their suburban London pubs are pretty upmarket and foodie while some of their bars elsewhere are just about cheap beer.

They're very much market research led.

probably just some incentive offered by Heineken to create more awareness for Orchard Thieves, which seems to be getting bad reviews cos it's sour mankiness.

Another big company effort at a funky brand name trying to fool people into thinking they're drinking an 'artisan' product.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Anybody have any update on how the development in town is going or how the application for planning in Douglas is going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

clerk wrote: »
    Anybody have any update on how the development in town is going or how the application for planning in Douglas is going ?

They're doing a huge amount of work on the one in town at the moment. A lot of the exterior plaster has been stripped back, and the inside looks gutted. I guess they start rebuilding now :-D

Only copped the other day the Orchard Thieves logo is almost a carbon copy of small scale producer MacIvors Cider. Plus the bottle labels look similar from a distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I'm gutted to hear that…..

Article on it: http://www.craftbeer.ie

Well done to the originals http://www.macivors.com

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

clerk wrote: »

Construction is well underway at Paul Street. The Wetherspoon website said it will open on September 8th.

In Douglas the County Council asked for more information on their planning application and looking at the file online they haven't yet supplied that information so definitely another few months before a decision is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Pitcairn wrote: »
    Construction is well underway at Paul Street. The Wetherspoon website said it will open on September 8th.
    First week back for the colleges. I expect first week trading to be rather brisk!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Only copped the other day the Orchard Thieves logo is almost a carbon copy of small scale producer MacIvors Cider. Plus the bottle labels look similar from a distance...

The TV advert make it look like Orchard Thieves might be Irish, it is in fact from New Zealand, I'd love to see the carbon foot print for it if it's been actually made there.

There are plenty of really good Irish ciders to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Seamai wrote: »
    The TV advert make it look like Orchard Thieves might be Irish, it is in fact from New Zealand, I'd love to see the carbon foot print for it if it's been actually made there.

New Zealand? From their website: "Orchard Thieves is made in our cider mill in Hereford, UK"

Ludo wrote: »
    New Zealand? From their website: "Orchard Thieves is made in our cider mill in Hereford, UK"

Thought it was uk (England) produced, but the ads are schnaky, leads you to believe it's Irish and 'craft'.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

New Zealand??? how/what/who/where etc... tell me more please.

The Orchard Thieves website says it's made in Hereford, UK but McIvors is made in Armagh.

sorry for the thread hijack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thought it was uk produced, but the ads are schnaky, leads you to believe it's Irish and 'craft'.

Yep..this is true. Same goes for their Cute Hoor taps...they look "crafty". At least Guinness put their logo on their Hop House lager taps so you know it ain't craft.

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep..this is true. Same goes for their Cute Hoor taps...they look "crafty". At least Guinness put their logo on their Hop House lager taps so you know it ain't craft.

Really? That is a revelation for me!

Ironic name is ironic.

LeNNoX wrote: »
    New Zealand??? how/what/who/where etc... tell me more please.

The Orchard Thieves website says it's made in Hereford, UK but McIvors is made in Armagh.

sorry for the thread hijack.

Well maybe it's being made under licence in the UK but Heineken own the brand having bought out the original company in NZ a few years back.

Thought it was uk (England) produced, but the ads are schnaky, leads you to believe it's Irish and 'craft'.

That Orchard Thieves advert was made in Dublin, I presume give the impression that it was local. I wonder how many people actually look at the labels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How could anyone think Orchard Thieves was craft?!
    Even if you didn't already know that it was a Heineken product....its fairly obvious that no craft brewery could afford mass advertising like Heineken has undertaken with that cider in the last few months. Micro breweries in general don't advertise on TV/radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Had a few bottles of this recently pure muck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

its the most bitter/sweet tasting cider i have drunk its awful, as i said before its huge placement in pubs means better cider on tap like symonds is gone.

on a side note i paid 7.40 for a bottle of stonewell in the crane lane during the week i know its expensive buts that's still about a euro more than i should be paying

Advertisement