Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I notice the rte player on smart tvs and connected devices doesn't have a 'live tv' option.
    I wonder is this being deliberately done as people could avoid paying a tv licence as the current legislation I think excludes reception of live tv through the internet.

Smart TVs need a TV licence whether they stream or watch live. If they can receive live TV, they need a licence - whether they do or not.

The clue is in the name - smart TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Smart TVs need a TV licence whether they stream or watch live. If they can receive live TV, they need a licence - whether they do or not.

The clue is in the name - smart TV.

Are you sure about that? I thought there was a row back in the legislation under Naughten where they didn't proceed with tv through the internet.

Just did a google - the row back was for pcs, laptops and tablets. So anything on the tv needs a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are you sure about that? I thought there was a row back in the legislation under Naughten where they didn't proceed with tv through the internet.

Just did a google - the row back was for pcs, laptops and tablets. So anything on the tv needs a licence.

A TV has a tuner ......... that is the deciding factor ...... else it is not called a TV

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Quick question. I got a saorview connect box recently (Akimo), it doesn't pick up the wifi connection in the house, it needs a physical internet connection. is this normal?
    Also, any recommendations for external hard-drives to record for?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

A TV has a tuner ......... that is the deciding factor ...... else it is not called a TV

What if it was an mpeg 2 UK Freeview TV that doesn't work with Saorview? Is it still a TV? Or is it simply a monitor?

• Advertisement

PauloConn wrote: »
    Quick question. I got a saorview connect box recently (Akimo), it doesn't pick up the wifi connection in the house, it needs a physical internet connection. is this normal?
    Also, any recommendations for external hard-drives to record for?

thanks

I presume it is the powerpoint saorview connect box you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

sounds more like an amiko which is not saorview connect

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Are you in the trial Tony?

I am not sure what the future for this box is?
    If the satellite side is as limited as it is, would they not be better off just to allow tvs do series link on their platform and just use the rte player for catchup - not bother with this whole Metaphor project.

Many people already have smart tv apps at their disposal so no point in duplicating them on the connect box, so the question arises of where the box goes from here.

What if it was an mpeg 2 UK Freeview TV that doesn't work with Saorview? Is it still a TV? Or is it simply a monitor?

Yes it has a tuner so is a TV and requires a licence.

Yes it has a tuner so is a TV and requires a licence.

I'd love to see someone contest that one

• Advertisement

I'd love to see someone contest that one

Just read the legislation ..... a TV whether used or not, for the reception of a broadcast signal requires a licence.

On what grounds could you contest it?

Just read the legislation ..... a TV whether used or not, for the reception of a broadcast signal requires a licence.

On what grounds could you contest it?

It's not capable of recieving a signal as it doesn't have the correct tuner required for Irish Saorview

It's not capable of recieving a signal as it doesn't have the correct tuner required for Irish Saorview

It is capable of receiving a signal.
    There is no requirement in the law for receiving Saorview or any other specific broadcast/signal.

People seem hung up on the idea that the licence is to receive Saorview/RTÉ.
    It is not.
    The licence is to have a TV (TV is clearly defined), whether or not it is used to receive any broadcast signal, or it is even in a signal path.

You have a tv you require a licence ..... no ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I was supposed to be but apparently there was an admin error.

Are you in the trial Tony?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

It is capable of receiving a signal.

It's not. There is no TV broadcast that it is capable of recieving.
    We'll just leave it at that before we're told we're going off topic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You need a licence for a Satellite Tuner.

AFAIK you still need a licence for an analog TV tuner, even though there is nothing on the airwaves. ( just cable TV etc. )

AFAIK you still need a licence for an analog TV tuner, even though there is nothing on the airwaves. ( just cable TV etc. )

That's what I'm saying. I'd love to see someone contest it as I don't believe it would stand as it's clearly not capable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That's what I'm saying. I'd love to see someone contest it as I don't believe it would stand as it's clearly not capable

Freeview is a TV broadcast than can be received by such a TV and it is available from northern and eastern parts of Ireland.

It needs a licence.

Freeview is a TV broadcast than can be received by such a TV and it is available from northern and eastern parts of Ireland.

It needs a licence.

I thought they moved to Freeview HD?

I thought they moved to Freeview HD?

Freeview HD is a simulcast. Freeview broadcasting continues.

• Advertisement

It's not. There is no TV broadcast that it is capable of recieving.
    We'll just leave it at that before we're told we're going off topic

It is capable ...... the fact that there is no such signal present does not reduce its capability, something you do not seem to grasp.

I am not defending the law as it stands ..... in fact I think it is ridiculous ..... but that is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Tony wrote: »
    Afraid not. AFAIK it never went to court or was reported in any media.

Edit: sat4free was the brand name if memory serves

It was an idea between an Irish Guy and the ALBA/Grundig OEM (which was owned by Argos). Grundig were selling Freesat receivers into the UK market. They had the source software already, so it wasnt a major inconvenience to remove all freesat branding, which they thought might be sufficient and release to Irish market.

I think the use of the EPG data was not what cheesed of the Freesat people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Just saw a Medion 32' tv in Aldi that has freeview Play available. Also says it is Saorview ready. Wondering if the tv could run Saorview Connect?

lsjmhar wrote: »
    Just saw a Merion 32' tv in Aldi that has freeview Play available. Also says it is Saorview ready. Wondering if the tv could run Saorview Connect?

The Saorview Connect is a set top box

Just saw a Medion 32' tv in Aldi that has freeview Play available. Also says it is Saorview ready. Wondering if the tv could run Saorview Connect?

No, saorview connect is a licenced software product. It is only on the current stb so far. Freeview Play is the equivalent in the uk. You can't get it here due to geoblocking.

Here is a look at the humax 1100s freesat box.
    Saorview Connect is pretty much identical in layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably a rebadged Vestel, similar to the Walker, Toshiba and Nordmende brands.
    If so, then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RederthanRed

Still no option to record with this box? Any word on when it will finally be able to record?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭WattsUp

Think I will give up on Saorview connect. The new RTE player looks pretty decent so am in the hunt for a new TV to do Irish channels and I have a Freesat Humux 1100s to look after UK broadcasts.

Can anyone recommend a TV that has
    1. Saorview with ability to record one channel while watching another. Also ability to series link recordings
    2. New RTE player capable
    3. Can take screen casting from a phone.
    4. 42-45 inch screen

Thanks

• Advertisement

20rothmans wrote: »
    Think I will give up on Saorview connect. The new RTE player looks pretty decent so am in the hunt for a new TV to do Irish channels and I have a Freesat Humux 1100s to look after UK broadcasts.

Can anyone recommend a TV that has
    1. Saorview with ability to record one channel while watching another. Also ability to series link recordings
    2. New RTE player capable
    3. Can take screen casting from a phone.
    4. 42-45 inch screen

Thanks

There is no series link. You can set a weekly timer and hope the schedule doesn't change.

There are boxes like the Tiviar that run Enigma software that can be configured with little effort to do all you need and combine both Saorview and Freesat and plugins are available for the players for Enigma boxes.

Advertisement