Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'd be inclined to agree, but actually it's a really good user experience from what I've got of it so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

AngryLips wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree, but actually it's a really good user experience from what I've got of it so far...

The UK FTA Satellite side is not a good user experience imho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

lsjmhar wrote: »
    The UK FTA Satellite side is not a good user experience imho!!

I'm interested in getting a SV connect. I know that the saorview and freesat channels are in separate lists, but I'm curious about the freesat channel organisation. Is it automatic? The biggest annoyance for me with my amiko boxes at the moment, is organising channel lists, and retuning when they move frequency.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

JamBur wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting a SV connect. I know that the saorview and freesat channels are in separate lists, but I'm curious about the freesat channel organisation. Is it automatic? The biggest annoyance for me with my amiko boxes at the moment, is organising channel lists, and retuning when they move frequency.

No, there is a default list but it is altered by the user. It is not a Freesat list, but a FTA list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No, there is a default list but it is altered by the user. It is not a Freesat list, but a FTA list.

What a completely pointless product it has turned out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Nearly xmas and as a user for over a year I wouldn't be recommending the box. They still haven't sorted the various issues with the box plus there is little likelihood of 'rewind live tv' being added. You can also only record 1 channel at a time, nor pause live tv if a recording is taking place. These are incredible limitations to have on a box launching in 2018.

With the rte player now on smart tvs, why would you buy this box? The satellite side doesn't have a 7 day epg and as pointed out above doesn't even have now or next info unless you select the channel. How long will they keep updating frequency changes on the satellite side? A year, 2 years, who knows?

They still haven't launched the new rte player on the box even though it is now on nearly every other platform.

The new rte player itself still has issues with playing live tv.

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the national broadcaster.

Was the product doomed anyway? Hard to know. No 7 day epg on the satellite side kills any chance of recording from the epg. However if they had a quick toggle button on the remote to go between saorview and satellite and change to each other's epg within a couple of seconds, it could have been satisfactory for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

Going to get a Humax B 1100S for freesat, and use the TV for SV. Two devices hat do a job well, rather then one overpriced device that seems crippled from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭decor58

The humax remote can be programmed to operate most tv's, pause button on humax remote operates as source button on my Sony TV.

decor58 wrote: »
    The humax remote can be programmed to operate most tv's, pause button on humax remote operates as source button.

As we discussed before the pause button on my remote (humax 1100s) doesn't bring up the source function. The only buttons that work once you press the TV button are volume, power on/off, the ok button and the home button. No other buttons do anything.

The home button just brings up my LG tv settings but you can't scroll through them.

Perhaps it depends on the tv you have.

The best thing about saorview connect is its remote. It feels lovely in your hand, doesn't slip out of your hand easily and most importantly has a source button, allows to power on/off your tv and control its volume. You also don't have to toggle between stb and tv mode as the remote has 2 power on/off buttons, one for connect and one for your tv.

@corm500
    I think it is yourself that has the connect and humax.

If you want to avoid any issues in using the connect remote for both boxes at the same time, you can power off either box through the app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

I didn't know this for some reason I was under the impression the satellite side is Freesat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I didn't know this for some reason I was under the impression the satellite side is Freesat.

Not a bit like Freesat. It has only Now&Next EPG, and it does not self tune. However, the user has the freedom to order channels as they see fit whereas Freesat is a fixed order that is a bit of a PIA.

Freesat does allow you to delete channels, making your epg nice and tidy. I rarely go beyond the first 2 pages. I have all bbcs, itv, c4 and c5 on the 1st page I think, and all are in hd except c4.

Freesat is a fixed order that is a bit of a PIA.

Is it not better than trying to tidy up the free to air channels

Is it not better than trying to tidy up the free to air channels

No. The channels are not in any logical order.

No. The channels are not in any logical order.

I never had a Freesat box I understood from what I read here that when the post code is entered the channels download with BBC 1 and 2 first then ITV channel 4 and 5 and so on. Am I wrong about that.

I never had a Freesat box I understood from what I read here that when the post code is entered the channels download with BBC 1 and 2 first then ITV channel 4 and 5 and so on. Am I wrong about that.

This order
    https://www.freesat.co.uk/tv-guide/

That seems logical enough to me. Am I missing something ?

That seems logical enough to me. Am I missing something ?

1. The unnecesary duplication HD and SD BBC channels, and ITV.

2. The lack of any logic in the channel order after 105 with a first come - first served policy, so a+1 channel is mixed in with unrelated channels.

3. Total inability to reorder.

However it is FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

1. The unnecesary duplication HD and SD BBC channels, and ITV.

2. The lack of any logic in the channel order after 105 with a first come - first served policy, so a+1 channel is mixed in with unrelated channels.

3. Total inability to reorder.

However it is FREE.

Once you pay the premium price for the box. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not a bit like Freesat. It has only Now&Next EPG, and it does not self tune. However, the user has the freedom to order channels as they see fit whereas Freesat is a fixed order that is a bit of a PIA.
    You can use favourites or hide some channels.

But if you use radio times or other program guides that use the same numbers it's very handy to be able to go straight to the channel.

Or if you use ye olde Foxsat HDR with the custom addons you get a remote control web page and you can setup favourite buttons on it. And define buttons for macros. I've setup a button for Schedule-Red as it's quicker than waiting for the guide to populate.

However it is FREE.

It's not free. That's like saying Windows is free....

1. The unnecesary duplication HD and SD BBC channels, and.

As I said you can delete any of the sd bbc and itv channels. Problem solved.
    I find if there is any channel much further down that you like you quickly memorise its number and just enter it on the remote.

One thing the freesat remote doesn't have is the ability to recall the previous channel. It is a small inconvenience but nice to have if flicking between 2 channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryan7984

Awful box for reasons already given and also mine froze and rebooted sporadically while changing channels with intermittent loss of sound.

Returned for refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

ryan7984 wrote: »
    Awful box for reasons already given and also mine froze and rebooted sporadically while changing channels with intermittent loss of sound.

Returned for refund.
    That's what everyone should do. Shocking there was no recording for the Christmas period. No excuses other than RTE bureaucracy and incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

Anyone having issues with the satellite now and next EPG showing no data. Have to re-tune them all to get it back and it only works until the box goes into standby? Have mother in law harping at me, half tempted to return the box at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Now/Next on the satellite side is terrible. Never populates when switch to channel, most channels a couple of hours behind etc. The box in its current form is a joke.

See that my LG TV has the new RTE player, no sign on the connect box yet and not having recording by now is mental.

I notice the rte player on smart tvs and connected devices doesn't have a 'live tv' option.
    I wonder is this being deliberately done as people could avoid paying a tv licence as the current legislation I think excludes reception of live tv through the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

Live TV on Android app which you can cast.

• Advertisement

Live TV on Android app which you can cast.

Can you cast it? You can watch it on the phone alright.

I find the new rte player is giving major problems as well. No sound playing when you go into live tv. People are reporting casting problems as well.

Advertisement