Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Freesat does not allow reordering of the channels. 101 is BBC 1, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Freesat does not allow reordering of the channels. 101 is BBC 1, always.

You can delete 101. My 1st channel is 102. I deleted any channels I didn't want from the first 2 epg pages.
    I deleted sd versions of bbc and itv plus itv2 and itv3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You can delete 101. My 1st channel is 102. I deleted any channels I didn't want from the first 2 epg pages.
    I deleted sd versions of bbc and itv plus itv2 and itv3.

When I delete channels, they magically reappear. Am I missing something?

When I delete channels, they magically reappear. Am I missing something?

What box have you?

What box have you?

I have a Samsung TV F series, a Humax Foxsat HDR and a Humax Freesat 1100S.

Not sure about the exact designation of the last one.

• Advertisement

I have a Samsung TV F series, a Humax Foxsat HDR and a Humax Freesat 1100S.

Not sure about the exact designation of the last one.

Try it on the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Another update on the Saorview site re. the update the enable recording:
    04 December 2018

We are working on a new release of software for Saorview Connect which will allow you to record on your Saorview Connect box.

The software is almost ready to go, and we are working with the manufacturer and their developers to iron out one last bug before releasing it. As soon as this bug has been fixed, the upgrade will be made available to your Saorview Connect box through your internet connection.

We want to ensure that recording on Saorview Connect will be reliable and easy to use, so please accept our apologies for this unavoidable delay as we work towards a launch date for this feature upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Is there a box on the market that does what the saorview connect box does. I know you can get saorview and satellite on the same box but is there one that can play the rte player and tg4 player as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Is there a box on the market that does what the saorview connect box does. I know you can get saorview and satellite on the same box but is there one that can play the rte player and tg4 player as well

You can install a plugin on the enigma boxes such as the Tiviar which includes RTE and TG4 players. Maybe not as slick an interface but at half the price of a Saorview connect with far more features.

Thanks Gerry. I've been doing a bit of googling and came across the Amiko 4 combo box.
    Has anyone any experience of these. I assume they'd be fine for saorview and satellite but how good would they be for IPTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Just to add - freesat boxes automatically update if a channel changes frequency whereas generic satellite boxes don't.

Enigma2 based satellite boxes, like the Tiviar that Gerry Wicklow linked to, can be configured to automatically update if a channel changes frequency. The trade-off is that, without extensive configuration, you are then confined to the Freesat channel list - i.e. the receiver behaves like a Freesat receiver, but has an additional channel set for the Irish Channels.

ethernet wrote: »
    Another update on the Saorview site re. the update the enable recording:

I have zero confidence in Saorview, any model they certify, or any commitment they make. I paid a lot of money for a Saorview certified TV. That certification meant very little - it never auto-tuned when terrestrial channels moved and the RTE Player never worked. I now use it as a monitor with a Tiviar stb giving me all UK and Irish channels on a single EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks Gerry. I've been doing a bit of googling and came across the Amiko 4 combo box.
    Has anyone any experience of these. I assume they'd be fine for saorview and satellite but how good would they be for IPTV.

You want a box running enigma software which is open and designed from the ground up for a satellite box, Amiko runs Android which isn't very developed for a satellite platform and is based on touchscreen Android. Check out the other threads about the Tiviar.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057827739/11/#post106783394
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057925678/14/#post108802318

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I have zero confidence in Saorview, any model they certify, or any commitment they make. I paid €1600 for a Saorview certified TV, for exactly nothing. It never auto-tuned when terrestrial channels moved and the RTE Player never worked. I now use it as a monitor with a Tiviar stb giving me all UK and Irish channels on a single EPG.

I somehow doubt the price had anything to do with it being Saorview compatible...

You want a box running enigma software which is open and designed from the ground up for a satellite box, Amiko runs Android which isn't very developed for a satellite platform and is based on touchscreen Android. Check out the other threads about the Tiviar.

The tiviar sounds very impressive but I'm looking for something that works out of the box.
    I've seen videos of the Amiko and it seems to work fine. What would your concerns be about it.

AngryLips wrote: »
    I somehow doubt the price had anything to do with it being Saorview compatible...

The price was because I was an “early adopter”. However one of the selling points was that it was future proofed, being Saorview certified. (At that time, there were multiple posts on Boards giving the same advice - Saorview-certified meant that the equipment would be substantially self managing.)

I'm open to correction on this but I think the Amiko 4 is a closed software box. You can't add extra functions compared to a proper Enigma (linux) box. The other thing to keep in mind is that the Amiko only has one satellite tuner. The nature of satellite means you need two tuners, one for viewing if the other is busy recording.
    Enigma boxes can be a bit daunting as they need a wee bit of setting up and there is a bit of a learning curve. However most users on here will confirm that the initial effort is well worth it.

The tiviar sounds very impressive but I'm looking for something that works out of the box.
    I've seen videos of the Amiko and it seems to work fine. What would your concerns be about it.

In fairness a FreeSat branded box is the only one that sets itself up but it does not have the irish, Saorview channels. ANY other box will need to be setup to suit your local Saorview mast.

In fairness a FreeSat branded box is the only one that sets itself up but it does not have the irish, Saorview channels. ANY other box will need to be setup to suit your local Saorview mast.

I understand that I have no trouble tuning in channels but that's about as much as I want to bother doing to be honest.
    I guess what I'm asking is will the Amiko do what it says on the tin and work for saorview, satellite and IPTV.
    I don't need a box to record.

I understand that I have no trouble tuning in channels but that's about as much as I want to bother doing to be honest.
    I guess what I'm asking is will the Amiko do what it says on the tin and work for saorview, satellite and IPTV.
    I don't need a box to record.

From here it seems fine as a basic box. I've no personal experience of this model so don't know how good the IPTV functions are. Others here may know more.

• Advertisement

What exactly do you want with iptv? Eir sports doesn't work on many of these android boxes. I am not sure about Now TV.

The saorview connect is fine if you don't want to record.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatwilldopig

What exactly do you want with iptv? Eir sports doesn't work on many of these android boxes. I am not sure about Now TV.

Apart from the very frequent random reboots and more button presses to do a simple action than you can shake a stick at. :mad:

From what I'm hearing and reading it's a long way from fine. It's a bit of a joke that such a half finished product was even launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

All products that are launched require improvements. The recording feature works fine and will improve when the series link is fully fixed. The real issue is the UK FTA side. Having to click on channels to see now and next is a waste. The E2 linux series link system is more efficient. I spoke with the man developing the connect box, Keri, and suggested using the open source method to develop the UK side - literally taking the OpenATV version available on the Tiviar box and implementing on the SAT side. The connect box is built on the linux kernel so it is actually easy to add the UK FTA 7 day EPG. The issue is whether Saorview/RTE allow the addition of this.

I think there is some legal issues preventing the addition of the UK 7 day EPG.

Such is life.

Going by a thread in the Broadcasting forum the new rte player will be out by the weekend.

It seems it will have some new channels for archived content. One is Food that is showing repeats of various rte food shows.

When we will see this on the Connect box, who knows?

lsjmhar wrote: »
    All products that are launched require improvements. The recording feature works fine and will improve when the series link is fully fixed. The real issue is the UK FTA side. Having to click on channels to see now and next is a waste. The E2 linux series link system is more efficient. I spoke with the man developing the connect box, Keri, and suggested using the open source method to develop the UK side - literally taking the OpenATV version available on the Tiviar box and implementing on the SAT side. The connect box is built on the linux kernel so it is actually easy to add the UK FTA 7 day EPG. The issue is whether Saorview/RTE allow the addition of this.

I think there is some legal issues preventing the addition of the UK 7 day EPG.

Such is life.

My understanding is that they will not allow it. They are the National Broadcaster and cannot be seen to be bending rules on copyright, even if it is perfectly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My understanding is that they will not allow it. They are the National Broadcaster and cannot be seen to be bending rules on copyright, even if it is perfectly legal.

Makes me wonder what rule they could be bending as it is Legal to use the data.

:D

Makes me wonder what rule they could be bending as it is Legal to use the data.

:D

I think they are talking about image and appearance. Like Caesar's wife, they must be above suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think they are talking about image and appearance. Like Caesar's wife, they must be above suspicion.

Essentially nothing to prevent them doing it ---- IF they wanted to, and that is highly unlikely.

Actually I am quite surprised no commercial entity has produced a combo box with full features, without having the user take action.
    There apparently is a market for combo boxes as they are plentiful. A good one would seem to be a requirement, and it would receive many recommendations from installers as well as resellers.

Until then I will continue to create my own :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Remember when you talk about bending rules on copyright. You are one person, doing it for yourself in your own room or wherever. Something doesn’t have to be a criminal offence for a legal remedy to be available, which a lot of people don’t get. There may be civil causes of action and remedies available.

If someone wants to sue you, they have to identify you, find you, and decide whether or not it’s worth suing you (do you have sufficent resources to meet a judgement and costs?) That may be a lot of trouble for little prospect of return.(That doesn’t mean you can discuss it here by the way, if it’s illegal it’s not allowed to be discussed)

But they are Radio Telefis Eireann, they have a big giant sign outside their building with their name on it, everyone knows who they are and where to serve papers on them, and that they are backed by the State and will have resources to pay out if they lose a case (or they will settle).

Advertisement