Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tony wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest but given the amount of stores involved it might take a while so I'm guessing the want to have all the marketing material in place before the end of Q2.
    I think it will probably be the continuation of the awareness campaign and maybe the android/iphone app might be released to raise awareness too.

All completely pointless unless they have a product that people want.

Give us a high quality DVR with integrated Saorview/FTA sat EPG and you don't need promotional material, it will sell itself via word of mouth.

Give us just a Saorview box with some pointless extra streaming features, but not FTA sat and no one will care, no matter how much advertising you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I agree and I think they will have a product that people will want which will be superior to the currently available combo boxes.

bk wrote: »
    All completely pointless unless they have a product that people want.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I agree and I think they will have a product that people will want which will be superior to the currently available combo boxes.

I hope you're right Tony, all this hype and marketing is only going to fuel the hope of the "Holy Grail" box.

Its not going to be the "Holy Grail" unfortunately unless someone can convince freesat to allow another platform to use their 7 day guide.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They made a dog's breakfast of the Saorview Launch, the Saorview re-Launch, and I expect the same for the Saorview re-re-Launch.

Saorview has been unending list of disappointments so I expect another one for this.

Look at the failure the RTE player has been and is - stuffed with adverts but no programmes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Its not going to be the "Holy Grail" unfortunately unless someone can convince freesat to allow another platform to use their 7 day guide.

So it sounds like the combo box will have fta sat with now and next EPG , no different to any other combo box and the Saorview side will just have added features like wind back EPG and maybe a few apps like Netflix thrown in. I don't know if it's enough to make people go " wow, I want one of those " .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

galtee boy wrote: »
    So it sounds like the combo box will have fta sat with now and next EPG , no different to any other combo box and the Saorview side will just have added features like wind back EPG and maybe a few apps like Netflix thrown in. I don't know if it's enough to make people go " wow, I want one of those " .

Well I know I wouldnt want one at €349-399 which is probably what they will retail at if it has a built in PVR HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The original PVR box retails now at €100 from an initial price of €250. I would say this new box will have to be €250-€300. Possible features that the new box will have over the €100 will likely be at max, remote record, Netflix, Youtube and an improved web browser. If someone was to buy the €100 original box and a Google Chromecast for €40 they would only be missing remote record and would have the additional streaming options from the Chromecast.

Maybe not wow but if the LCN works as I think it will it would mean the end of having to update satellite transponder changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

If this is true then it is very bad news. Not really going to make me turn over from my Freesat box with PVR and 7 day program guide to watch a box which just has now/next information. I think I will be keeping my money in my pocket.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Maybe not wow but if the LCN works as I think it will it would mean the end of having to update satellite transponder changes.

galtee boy is correct, no one is going to pay €300 to 400 for a box that doesn't have a 7 day EPG and series link for the UK channels!

It doesn't matter that it might be slightly better then existing combo boxes, it would be much poorer then an imported Freesat box. Irish people want their UK channels, anything less will just be a failure.

Don't think the combo box will be priced in the 3 to 400 range and I agree that no one would give up a freesat recording box for it . I think they are mainly aiming at people changing from sky and upc who want a one box solution and currently buy arivas and other popular generic combo boxes.

galtee boy is correct, no one is going to pay €300 to 400 for a box that doesn't have a 7 day EPG and series link for the UK channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It seems a little crazy to be going to this level of promotion which looks up there with Sky Q, how will Saorview get this money back will there be a levy on each box sold?

Where are you getting that from? A few POS materials and 20 days of a lad standing in a shop showing it off? It will be very inexpensive.

Don't think the combo box will be priced in the 3 to 400 range and I agree that no one would give up a freesat recording box for it . I think they are mainly aiming at people changing from sky and upc who want a one box solution and currently buy arivas and other popular generic combo boxes.

Then utterly pointless, no one is going to give up Sky/Virgin for that. Arrivas and other generic boxes aren't really popular IME. People are either going Linux combos (techies) or Freesat (non techies) IME.

If true, this isn't going to change anything at all and just be another Saorview failure.

Well people are giving up sky and virgin right now for generic combo boxes, at least that's my experience. Linux boxes are excellent but they are not for everybody as they require some knowledge. Freesat boxes are also excellent but many people don't want two boxes with two remotes and TV input switching.

Then utterly pointless, no one is going to give up Sky/Virgin for that. Arrivas and other generic boxes aren't really popular IME.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well people are giving up sky and virgin right now for generic combo boxes, at least that's my experience. Linux boxes are excellent but they are not for everybody as they require some knowledge. Freesat boxes are also excellent but many people don't want two boxes with two remotes and TV input switching.

I'd have to echo this, from my experience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People are either going Linux combos (techies) or Freesat (non techies) IME.

If true, this isn't going to change anything at all and just be another Saorview failure.
    Freesat boxes are also excellent but many people don't want two boxes with two remotes and TV input switching.
    My Humax Foxsat HDR's remote controls TV's. So one remote, admittedly it takes a few presses to change source.

Plan B is adding a Saorsat LNB to the Foxsat , which thanks to Linux add-ons can have non-Freesat channels listed too. Not sure if I'd get the Saorsat EPG or just now/next though.

Some TV's with satellite tuners will support Freesat which is another option especially if the boxes aren't cheap. I'm assuming you've to choose UK for the country which means the Irish channels will be higher numbers though. You don't get the handy record features but a cheap USB key gets you pause and rewind, which might be enough for older relatives or technophobes.

Thing is, had a Saorview/Freesat box been available at launch then the TV viewing landscape could have been very different. And it still might be if the box is good enough and not too much above the normal freesat boxes, tuners aren't that expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Just a thought but maybe it's time to change the title of this thread to Saorview Connect.

That's a nice solution. You would be amazed though at the number of people who have difficulty changing source , even people who have a generic combo box sometimes get lost by inadvertently hitting the source button. Many Tv's then display "no signal" instead of something more logical like "no source input" which causes even more confusion. Hopefully Saorview connect will be configured to signal the active input to the Tv.

My Humax Foxsat HDR's remote controls TV's. So one remote, admittedly it takes a few presses to change source.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Plan B is adding a Saorsat LNB to the Foxsat , which thanks to Linux add-ons can have non-Freesat channels listed too. Not sure if I'd get the Saorsat EPG or just now/next though.

Some TV's with satellite tuners will support Freesat which is another option especially if the boxes aren't cheap. I'm assuming you've to choose UK for the country which means the Irish channels will be higher numbers though. You don't get the handy record features but a cheap USB key gets you pause and rewind, which might be enough for older relatives or technophobes.

Thing is, had a Saorview/Freesat box been available at launch then the TV viewing landscape could have been very different. And it still might be if the box is good enough and not too much above the normal freesat boxes, tuners aren't that expensive these days.

I have one TV with a Humax HDR and the remote controls the TV (if you press the right buttons) but it does not have full functionality - and there's the rub.

I also have a Samsung Freesat TV (**ES700). I upgraded it at Christmas using the Evolution kit. It gives a faster processor and a new remote. It has improved the set beyond belief. Changing between FreeSat and Saorview is now very simple, and changing channel is quicker and easier. Remote is very small and allows many alternative ways of doing things - I am still finding new things with it. Brilliant upgrade - however this just brings it from 2012 set to a 2013 set.

I am not sure what a Saorview Connect would give me that I do not have already.

• Advertisement

7 day backwards EPG on Saorview perhaps ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

corm500 wrote: »
    Just a thought but maybe it's time to change the title of this thread to Saorview Connect.

Good thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I have one TV with a Humax HDR and the remote controls the TV (if you press the right buttons) but it does not have full functionality - and there's the rub.

I also have a Samsung Freesat TV (**ES700). I upgraded it at Christmas using the Evolution kit. It gives a faster processor and a new remote. It has improved the set beyond belief. Changing between FreeSat and Saorview is now very simple, and changing channel is quicker and easier. Remote is very small and allows many alternative ways of doing things - I am still finding new things with it. Brilliant upgrade - however this just brings it from 2012 set to a 2013 set.

There are some very unrealistic expectations of this service on this thread. If you've already spent hundreds of euro on a comprehensive Saorview and Freesat setup, then what benefit would you expect?

This is an evolution of the existing Saorview offering. It's a mass market offering, not a niche service for technophiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭dubrov

This is an evolution of the existing Saorview offering. It's a mass market offering, not a niche service for technophiles.

People are hoping for a mass market offering for non-techies.

I don't think this will make much of an impact

I agree completely. It is indeed a step forward with two notable benefits.

There are some very unrealistic expectations of this service on this thread. If you've already spent hundreds of euro on a comprehensive Saorview and Freesat setup, then what benefit would you expect?

I respectfully disagree, I think many will see this as a a big improvement on current combo boxes.
    dubrov wrote: »

I don't think this will make much of an impact

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The data is broadcast in the open with a compression algorithm that is already known. The data is already collected on many linux boxes with a script, that utilises that in a grid format, rather than Freesats EPG layout.

Freesat does not support encryption of any sort.

Once the freesat logo is not used or its name i.e. marketed as being freesat compatible, then there is no infringement.

Nobody would care that 7 day epg already openly broadcast already is available in a small market once you do not use the certification name. A non 7 day epg Combo/PVR would be retrograde and a bad product to release.

If you have any input, you could try feeding that back Tony.

On the point about the expectations of technophobes, Saorview really need to get with the reality of the pressures of the various competing platforms. Thats why they should really only be looking at a box that supports H265/4k and is pluggable with stuff like Netflix as options which does not cost the earth as the cost effective chips are already out there in good stock. There is nothing Holy grail about it, its very do-able and would be a big seller as a all in one product. There is nothing integrated about freesat TV's in the Irish market. Its function jumping and not suitable as a plug and play option due to Country settings required for DVB-T not being separable for DVB-S2.

I've expressed my opinion to Saorview that I think not having a 7 day EPG is a negative but apparently Freesat will not allow it . Perhaps if it was made part of the tender spec it might have clarified Freesats stance and they may not have become involved at all . I think everything comes back to the fact that we are a small market and given that we watch TV from another country without paying for it does not lend itself to having a strong negotiating starting point..

STB. wrote: »
    If you have any input, you could try feeding that back Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭dubrov

Even without a 7 day epg, if the new product could handle automatic channel tuning and ordering (including uk channels) , it would still be a step forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I've expressed my opinion to Saorview that I think not having a 7 day EPG is a negative but apparently Freesat will not allow it . Perhaps if it was made part of the tender spec it might have clarified Freesats stance and they may not have become involved at all . I think everything comes back to the fact that we are a small market and given that we watch TV from another country without paying for it does not lend itself to having a strong negotiating starting point..

Tony, it probably my fault that I wasn't clear.

Freesat will not allow the Freesat name be used outside the UK, and thats understandable.

However, the 7 day EPG data itself is not copyrighted, otherwise it would be encrypted. It is freely readable on the narrow beam Astra 2E S2 TP position of 11428 H S/R 27500 FEC 2/3. Hardcoding a call function to populate that data in a combined epg in the freetime software is simple code. That is what I am talking about. I was not arguing for a combined branded Freesat/Saorview box, not replicating Freesats look feel, or branding. They are already selling the look anyway!

This attitude that UK stations require payment stems from the 70s days of cablelink, and needs to be adjusted. The stations exist FTA regardless.

Satellite positions don't stop at borders and broadcasters are well aware that each individual stations reach goes beyond just the UK, something the advertisers are also aware of. Its the elephant in the room for a long time. Ignoring that it happens to protect epg data would not be an argument. The alternative would be using a KA beam or ignore NI.

Advertisement