Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm going ot here, but will this be popular I have been using an Android box running kodi for the last 6 months and I rarely watch live TV anymore I think the future of TV is streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Saorview connect will use streaming for its backwards 7 day epg. Theres the possibility of other 3rd party app's being added too.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Saorview connect will use streaming for its backwards 7 day epg. Theres the possibility of other 3rd party app's being added too.

Sounds good as long as there is an xbmc/kodi add-on

The days of live tv are gone unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

mikeecho wrote: »

For you maybe but there's still a generation of people in this country who have no desire to use kodi or an android box. They want a way to watch/record their soaps, the news, the late late etc. Saorview connect is aimed at them, not at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A 7 day backwards streaming service would be a big plus but if they overload it with ads like the way they do with RTÉ Player it will be a 100% pain in the hole to use. Pricing is going to be key.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    For you maybe but there's still a generation of people in this country who have no desire to use kodi or an android box. They want a way to watch/record their soaps, the news, the late late etc. Saorview connect is aimed at them, not at you.

I was part of that generation 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does anyone have any sales figures of the Walker PVR over its lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I use Kodi to watch live TV as well as streaming content.

Live TV is definitely not gone for a lot of people ..... and using Kodi does not mean it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Sounds like you have a new favourite toy :). I can tell you with 100% certaintly that Saorview Connect will not be available on Kodi. If someone hacks one together, it will have no official support, won't be updated regularly and will be broken within 2 months. There is very little incentive for someone to create such an addon, for such a small audience.

I really like Kodi and (like many others all over the world) use Kodi on Raspbery Pis mainly to watch Live TV (Saorview & Freesat in my case). I also have a few VoD/catch-up apps on Kodi, but normally for VoD and catch-up I would use chromecast as the mobile apps are generally quicker and easier to use that the Kodi (usually unofficial) addons).

Linear TV is far from dead. Sport and news can not be best accessed via streaming services (maybe some IPTV services. ) For example, how did you watch HD Master's Golf last night (assuming you had an interest)? BBC live coverage was excellent and free to air. Long live Live TV (on Kodi) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

This might be of interest to Irish Kodi users

http://zakalibit.github.io/kodi.rteplayer.hq/

True there is no guarantee it will be supported for many years to come .... but very little carries such guarantees.

Enjoy it while it is available ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Guys, there is NO discussion of piracy here. 48 hour ban for the next person who is talking about anything which isn't Saorview Connect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

icdg wrote: »
    Guys, there is NO discussion of piracy here. 48 hour ban for the next person who is talking about anything which isn't Saorview Connect

I genuinely do not see any discussion of piracy here. Kodi is not piracy. Everything I do on Kodi is 100% legal mainly linear tv. Fair enough that we have gone off topic a little but its not piracy.

The rte player addon is really just a way of accessing the rte website. Those streams are region restricted and cannot be accessed outside of Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Doesnt matter whether it's piracy or not (and like Dreamboxes, it is more a case of what people tend to use it for than anything inherent in the software itself). But that doesn't actually matter because this is a thread about Saorview Connect and it is off topic to discuss it at all, legal or not

There is also no on thread discussion of moderation.

No replies to this post please, or you may be banned. Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Hi Tony, any whispers from within your trade colleagues as to any more info on Saorview Connect, especially the combo box ? Or even anything on a launch date ?

I'm sorry I cant comment further until authorised by Saorview as I have a non disclosure agreement with them.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Hi Tony, any whispers from within your trade colleagues as to any more info on Saorview Connect, especially the combo box ? Or even anything on a launch date ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I'm sorry I cant comment further until authorised by Saorview as I have a non disclosure agreement with them.
    I can tell you that I can't tell you :D

I can tell you that I can't tell you :D

Sums it up nicely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Fair enough, can't blame me for trying !

yep always worth trying.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Fair enough, can't blame me for trying !

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Shure we'll say nothing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We will have to wait for the disappointment then.

Why would you assume that you will be disappointed ? Would it not be better to wait to see what transpires and then give an informed opinion?

We will have to wait for the disappointment then.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Linear TV is far from dead. Sport and news can not be best accessed via streaming services (maybe some IPTV services. ) For example, how did you watch HD Master's Golf last night (assuming you had an interest)? BBC live coverage was excellent and free to air. Long live Live TV (on Kodi) :-)

Long live the king/queen....he/she is not yet dead;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any chance it will be ready in time for the Virgin Media MMDS shutdown ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Why would you assume that you will be disappointed ? Would it not be better to wait to see what transpires and then give an informed opinion?

Saorview could bring out a box that was TV receiver, catch up service, Kodi box and Nespresso machine all in one and people here would still be moaning because they left out the milk frother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Saorview could bring out a box that was TV receiver, catch up service, Kodi box and Nespresso machine all in one and people here would still be moaning because they left out the milk frother.
    The milk frother is essential!:)... I look forward to it anyways even without the 7 day satellite EPG I will probably buy the version with the PVR function.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Any chance it will be ready in time for the Virgin Media MMDS shutdown ?

With MMDS shutdown next Monday, no.

Most MMDS subscribers by this time should have their replacement TV service in place although there will be a few who will leave it to the last minute.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Unless it has 7 day EPG for the UK FTA channels integrated with the saorview EPG, then everyone is gong to be disappointed and no one is going to buy it, just like very few Saorview PVR's were bought.

People want the UK channels, no one cares about RTE catchup, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

bk wrote: »
    Unless it has 7 day EPG for the UK FTA channels integrated with the saorview EPG, then everyone is gong to be disappointed and no one is going to buy it, just like very few Saorview PVR's were bought.

People want the UK channels, no one cares about RTE catchup, etc.
    how many soarview pvr's were bought? a few hundred if that??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Experience.

Everything Saorview have done so far has been disappointing - why should this be different?

Advertisement