Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

What about existing Saorview Approved Combi TVs like Samsung for example which are Freesat Approved as well

Will this new EPG work on them i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

What about existing Saorview Approved Combi TVs like Samsung for example which are Freesat Approved as well

Will this new EPG work on them i wonder

I may be correct in saying the EPG is basically receivable (or interpreted) by the S T B (Set top box) software .......and an old S T B's would not have the same software ( I'm no expert ...but with the little understanding that I have ....so you can guess it's somewhat speculative)...but then again it may not be speculative..so apologies if I'm wrong..:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    I may be correct in saying the EPG is basically receivable (or interpreted) by the S T B (Set top box) software .......and an old S T B's would not have the same software ( I'm no expert ...but with the little understanding that I have ....so you can guess it's somewhat speculative)...but then again it may not be speculative..so apologies if I'm wrong..:o

Yes you are correct in your interpretation.

The gridline data for playback will not work without this software.

Normal epg will remain on those legacy TV's and STB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article in the Indo comparing prices of the different TV packages.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/can-you-afford-next-generation-tv-34470554.html

This from the section on Saorview
    You will have to buy a Saorview Connect box to get the new product. It is unclear as yet exactly how much that box will cost.

"The manufacturers have not confirmed box pricing but there will be a range of boxes and so the pricing will vary," said a spokeswoman for Saorview.

It is unclear too how compelling the on-demand content to be provided through Saorview Connect will be. The TV programmes and movies available may well pale in comparison to those being offered by the likes of Sky and Virgin Media.

A spokeswoman for Saorview would not divulge details of the content line-up for Saorview Connect, apart from saying that it will have a number of catch-up TV players and on-demand services.

"Users will be able to access these if they connect their Saorview Connect box to their broadband service," she said. "Some of the on-demand content providers may offer paid-for content, but this will be optional."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hope Netflix is included as an App on the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes that would be a very useful addition if Netflix were interested.

I hope Netflix is included as an App on the box.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Latest from Saorview

"Development of the Connect box is at an advanced stage, and we expect to be able to let you know more about the specification of the first boxes to come to market in the next few weeks. Boxes will be competitively priced at a level that will be appealing to consumers who want to upgrade or make the switch to Saorview."

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭corm500

Tony wrote: »
    Latest from Saorview

"Development of the Connect box is at an advanced stage, and we expect to be able to let you know more about the specification of the first boxes to come to market in the next few weeks. Boxes will be competitively priced at a level that will be appealing to consumers who want to upgrade or make the switch to Saorview."

Great news. I think though that minimum spec should include:

1. combined Saorview and Freesat epg
    2. Catch up service
    3. RTE, 3player, ITV player and Channel 4 player
    4. Series link
    5. remote record.
    6. 1tb hard drive.

Unrealistic to hope for these?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

corm500 wrote: »
    Great news. I think though that minimum spec should include:

1. combined Saorview and Freesat epg
    2. Catch up service
    3. RTE, 3player, ITV player and Channel 4 player
    4. Series link
    5. remote record.
    6. 1tb hard drive.

Unrealistic to hope for these?

1. combined Saorview and Freesat epg (it won't happen
    2. Catch up service (it will happen)
    3. RTE, 3player, ITV player (itv player available on freesat freetime) and Channel 4 player (All4 is available on Now TV and chromecast)
    4. Series link
    5. remote record. 'available'
    6. 1tb hard drive (freesat freetime).

ftakeith wrote: »
    3. RTE, 3player, ITV player (itv player available on freesat freetime) and Channel 4 player (All4 is available on Now TV and chromecast)
    4. Series link

So basically, its just what we had but now with internet connectivity? Surely this is an opportunity to get people watching the Irish channels again, which is not going to happen if people have to switch between about four different boxes to get any sort of reasonable TV viewing experience without going down the pay TV route. I havent watched Irish TV in about six months as its too much hastle to go from one box to another fiddling about with HDMI switchers at the back of the TV, so I just watch my Freesat box which has most of the channels that I want anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think there is an EPG version for satellite, whether its 7 day epg is the big question if posts previous are anything to go by.

I think it should be borne in mind that saorview can only control their own content so its a matter for each individual provider whether they want to provide additional features. We don't pay for free to air Tv from the UK so they are under no obligation to allow their players and epg's be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I continue to wait for the STB which will provide me with what I can easily build myself ........

I don't expect that to happen any time soon.

dual Saorview tuners
    dual Sat tuners
    HDD for recording multiple channels at the one time
    facility to provide multi-room/device output of liveTV and stored recordings/videos over LAN
    internet access (ethernet a 'must' and wireless optionally) with streaming function
    7 day Guide/EPG for all Sat and Saorview channels in the one listing
    Channel list editable by user

Probably a lot more but those are the high points for me. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Am I right in that the EPG from Freesat is different in nature from both the Saorview and the Freeview one? My oldest TV is Freeview and works with the Saorview EPG. My main TV is Saorview approved but is set to UK because it is Freesat enabled. The two EPGs are different in the way they work, even though they are on the same TV.

Tony wrote: »
    I think it should be borne in mind that saorview can only control their own content so its a matter for each individual provider whether they want to provide additional features. We don't pay for free to air Tv from the UK so they are under no obligation to allow their players and epg's be provided.

I understand that Saorview only control their own content, but what is available to me, legally in this country is Saorview through a combi box, most UK FTA channels and ITV player along with series link and a hard drive through my Freesat box, All4, 3 Player etc through my Ipad. What I am looking for is for these legal and 100% above board means of getting FTA content to be put together on one easy to manage box. It shouldnt be rocket science and if someone brought one to market they would make a killing.

I hear what you are saying but saorview cannot do this without the permission of the content owners. There is no technical barrier to doing any of the things you suggest.

corm500 wrote: »
    I understand that Saorview only control their own content, but what is available to me, legally in this country is Saorview through a combi box, most UK FTA channels and ITV player along with series link and a hard drive through my Freesat box, All4, 3 Player etc through my Ipad. What I am looking for is for these legal and 100% above board means of getting FTA content to be put together on one easy to manage box. It shouldnt be rocket science and if someone brought one to market they would make a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Just got this by email from saorview :

Press the Red Button!

Here at Saorview we love TV and we will be letting you know about upcoming TV highlights. Starting off with this weekend, when we will be using the Saorview Red Button for the first time!

On Saturday evening TG4 will broadcast live the Guinness Pro 12 Rugby match between Connacht and Ospreys with coverage starting from 7pm - but, you can only watch the match by pressing the Red Button on your remote control during TG4's coverage of the Election 2016 count.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jgbyr wrote: »
    Just got this by email from saorview :

Press the Red Button!

Here at Saorview we love TV and we will be letting you know about upcoming TV highlights. Starting off with this weekend, when we will be using the Saorview Red Button for the first time!

On Saturday evening TG4 will broadcast live the Guinness Pro 12 Rugby match between Connacht and Ospreys with coverage starting from 7pm - but, you can only watch the match by pressing the Red Button on your remote control during TG4's coverage of the Election 2016 count.

Does this mean what it says - or only during the match since the count will go on before and after the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

jgbyr wrote: »
    you can only watch the match by pressing the Red Button on your remote control during TG4's coverage of the Election 2016 count.

Or any box that can manually tune in the red button channel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Does this mean what it says - or only during the match since the count will go on before and after the match?

"While watching TG4 at channel number 4 on Saorview, when you see the icon appear on screen, press the Red Button on the remote control that works with your Saorview Approved box or TV, and you will be able to watch the match."

• Advertisement

Re: The red button there's a thread on this here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563299

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If these new boxes are just the same old Saorview content with just some internet abilities (RTE Player, TV3 Plaer, etc.) and no integrated FTA satellite * and EPG, then it will be a failure.

People just don't care about the limited line up of Irish channels, when they have 80+ excellent channels available on Freesat and some Irish catchup and player services won't change that.

In order for Saorview to be truly successful it needs to merge FTA sat and saorview in a decent 7 day EPG with serieslink.

* Note I've been avoiding saying Freesat, Freesat might not license their EPG to Saorview, but there is nothing stopping Saorview licensing the channel data directly from the channels (just as RTE does for the RTE guide) and creating their own EPG for the FTA sat channels and distributing it via Saorview DTT, thus bypassing Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

bk wrote: »
    If these new boxes are just the same old Saorview content with just some internet abilities (RTE Player, TV3 Plaer, etc.) and no integrated FTA satellite * and EPG, then it will be a failure.

People just don't care about the limited line up of Irish channels, when they have 80+ excellent channels available on Freesat and some Irish catchup and player services won't change that.

In order for Saorview to be truly successful it needs to merge FTA sat and saorview in a decent 7 day EPG with serieslink.

* Note I've been avoiding saying Freesat, Freesat might not license their EPG to Saorview, but there is nothing stopping Saorview licensing the channel data directly from the channels (just as RTE does for the RTE guide) and creating their own EPG for the FTA sat channels and distributing it via Saorview DTT, thus bypassing Freesat.

Totally agree. Freesat in the UK has an excellent standardised UI and experience.

Saorview need to do the same with the Irish and FTA satellite channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

ftakeith wrote: »
    4. Series link

It will have wireless connectivity and Ethernet too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

cant see Saorview actually paying stations for EPG listings. It would be challenged by Sky etc as going beyond their remit.

I totally agree and I like the idea of licensing the epg info, this could ensure that only ROI versions of channels would appear and give advertisers more assurance.

bk wrote: »

Another route would be for Saorview to put their channel info onto the Freesat EPG (maybe hidden from non Saorview boxes) and for the box to sort out LCNs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

cant see Saorview actually paying stations for EPG listings. It would be challenged by Sky etc as going beyond their remit.

It might be challenged by Sky, but they wouldn't have a leg to stand on. The EU has made it very clear that overspill is completely ok.

Could be the other way around stations might pay them, most get advertising revenue and they already broadcast ROI versions of channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I must say that I am rather fascinated, in a weird sort of way, by this 'licencing' of EPG data.

If I am broadcasting a TV channel I would be delighted to have my channel content displayed in as many places as possible.

Why would I need to charge for it (or want to charge) or even licence it only to specific entities?

I can see the purpose of protecting something like the Freesat or Sky EPG display so it cannot be duplicated and some other entity misrepresent their display as Sky or Freesat.

I cannot imagine what exactly broadcast companies are protecting if they are licencing the content listing of their channels.
    It seems counter to getting their content in front of as many viewers as possible.

..... or am I misunderstand the comments about licencing EPG in this thread?

Advertisement