Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Connect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have some issues with the box not responding to the remote. I reboot by pulling the plug out of the back and it normally sorts it.

I seldom use the box now. I use the freesat box 90% of the time.

My other half is watching The Late Late Toy Show now on the player. With no ads it is very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

I have some issues with the box not responding to the remote. I reboot by pulling the plug out of the back and it normally sorts it.

I seldom use the box now. I use the freesat box 90% of the time.

My other half is watching The Late Late Toy Show now on the player. With no ads it is very handy.

Ref above Soarview are really behind the curve with this product imo. TV has/is moving to internet based. The idea of setting a programmer to record on a PVR will quickly be extinct - much the same as the extinct concept of VHS (if you can remember it). I have the Freesat box since 2005 and seldom use that now. For me 90%TV is now via Netflix, NOW TV, Prime Video and Occasionally via RTÉ player on the rare occasion they have something decent to offer.

E.g. I heard that SKY have/will stop installing sat dishes in UK as all moving internet based delivery services where you do not need to record.

The concept of having to scroll through an EPG to set a programme to record or watch live TV will very soon be gone entirely.

Peppa Cig wrote: »

The concept of having to scroll through an EPG to set a programme to record or watch live TV will very soon be gone entirely.

It depends on how catch up rights are done.
    E.g. motd on bbc doesn't go onto iplayer until Monday I think due to rights issue. I series record it and often watch it the morning after.

Fast forwarding on a record is much better than on a stream as you can speed it upto x32 and still see the action. Not possible on the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭corm500

corm500 wrote: »
    Working grand with everything so far. Series link works fine, setting up recordings is a doddle. For anyone with a freesat box its the same interface.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I have started to get the problem with the unresponsive remote. Also every time I turn the box on I have no internet connection, I have to disable internet on the box and enable it again. It’s pain.
    On a smaller note, even through series link is set up for late late show, it neglected to record the toy show on Friday night. I take it that is more to do with how rte tagged the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Hi, is there catchup for all the saorview channels on the saorview connect box, or are you confined to what they put on the rte player. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Re the internet connection - I found the wifi unstable and was advised to use an ethernet connection. I have homeplugs now and have no issue.

The catchup service has 2 apps - rte and tg4. Neither have ads but don't have live feeds.

Virgin media is not on catchup.

The catchup service has 2 apps - rte and tg4. Neither have ads but don't have live feeds.

Thanks, so it's only what they decide to put on the players can be watched back. What is making people buy those boxes, especially at the price ?

Thanks, so it's only what they decide to put on the players can be watched back. What is making people buy those boxes, especially at the price ?

Most content is on the players though I don't watch much saorview now.

My main reason for getting the box was to catch up on content on my tv. There is still no android app with chromecast.

My main reason for getting the box was to catch up on content on my tv. There is still no android app with chromecast.

But you can only catch up on 3 channels. Do you mind if I ask if they've addressed the long winded method of switching between saorview and satellite.

But you can only catch up on 3 channels. Do you mind if I ask if they've addressed the long winded method of switching between saorview and satellite.

Well you wouldn't want to catch up on virgin unless you want to watch ads. I don't watch their content anyway.

Yes you still have to switch between the 2. It is one reason why I use a freesat box instead.

• Advertisement

Well you wouldn't want to catch up on virgin unless you want to watch ads. I don't watch their content anyway.

At the cost of the box though I'd expect to have the option.

Yes you still have to switch between the 2. It is one reason why I use a freesat box instead.

So there's still the need for a second box. So basically I would be paying for the RTE player and TG4 player.
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

The satellite section will give you all the fta satellite channels - 40 of them in a ready epg but it doesn't have 7 day epg.

In my opinion the box is ideal for a 2nd room but not good enough for a main room where you want 7 day epg on saorview and satellite.

The satellite section will give you all the fta satellite channels - 40 of them in a ready epg but it doesn't have 7 day epg.

It's a pain in the a##e to switch between saorview and satellite though so there's no point buying it for elderly people.
    I think it's too expensive for a second box

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

It is one reason why I use a freesat box instead.
    Which freesat box do you use? and what do you use for terrestrial ? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Just noticed it for sale on site below, never heard of it before and checked it on scam adviser, seems legit and you can pay with paypal, contact address is in Cork.

There's an option for free delivery (orders over 50 euro) along with the base price of 128 (lowest price anywhere) but the site isn't as polished as you'd expect.

Maybe others have used the site before and can share their experience?
    https://metrostore.ie/product/saorview-connect-set-top-box/

I know the owner a good guy has vans around the city, main company is metro solutions

It's a pain in the a##e to switch between saorview and satellite though so there's no point buying it for elderly people.
    I think it's too expensive for a second box

At €150 I don't think it is bad if everything worked.
    As for switching between saorview and satellite I don't understand why they didn't put a button on the remote to allow quick switching. It would make a huge difference to the box.

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Which freesat box do you use? and what do you use for terrestrial ? Thanks!

Saorview Connect for saorview
    Humax 1100s for freesat

The Connect remote operates both boxes and the tv once programmed.
    The apps also allow you to control the boxes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

At €150 I don't think it is bad if everything worked.
    As for switching between saorview and satellite I don't understand why they didn't put a button on the remote to allow quick switching. It would make a huge difference to the box.

I have a Samsung TV that suffered from this problem - 12 button pushes to change. I got an upgrade plug on that included a new remote that had a history function that made switching a doddle.

There is no reason why something similar could not be done.

[PHP][/PHP]
    I have a Samsung TV that suffered from this problem - 12 button pushes to change. I got an upgrade plug on that included a new remote that had a history function that made switching a doddle.

There is no reason why something similar could not be done.

My folks have an LG Tv that was a bit of a nightmare to flit between saorview and satellite.
    But it had a handy function on the remote that allowed you to assign favourite channels to the buttons on the remote.
    So I assigned RTE1 (Saorview) to button 1 and BBC1 (Sat) to button 2. Problem solved.
    I wonder if there is a workaround for the saorview connect box that we haven't sussed yet.

@Corm500

How are you finding your setup?
    I think you are running the 2 boxes side by side too.

• Advertisement

@Corm500

How are you finding your setup?
    I think you are running the 2 boxes side by side too.

I have the same as you, Saorview Connect and Humax 1100s Freesat. To be honest I watch the Humax nearly all of the time, but I find the Saorview handy for the Irish only stuff like the news or the Late Late. So I series link them and catch up on my leisure. The Saorview is still glitchy but if they sort out the issues I will be happy enough. Its very easy to use, they could do with a lot more on demand stuff, Netflix and the like.

Ya the freesat offering is excellent. It is a lovely box to use.

Ya the freesat offering is excellent. It is a lovely box to use.

Is Freesat different to free to air ?

Is Freesat different to free to air ?

Yes
    Fta has no 7 day epg, just now/next. It is available on any generic satellite receiver, like saorview connect.

Freesat is a brand. Boxes are sold with its brand which gives 7 day epg and access to its players.

I can't seem to share a thread I created on freesat. It is in the satellite section of this forum.

Yes Fta has no 7 day epg, just now/next. It is available on any generic satellite receiver, like saorview connect.

Thanks. But is it the same channels you receive ? Does this mean the saorview connect box will never have a 7 day epg ?

I can't seem to share a thread I created on freesat. It is in the satellite section of this forum.

Thanks I'll try find it

Thanks. But is it the same channels you receive ? Does this mean the saorview connect box will never have a 7 day epg ?

The same channels except freesat doesn't have c4 in HD, just in SD. The channels on freesat come on a ready to use epg with no duplicates. The fta boxes need the channels to be sorted and duplicates deleted.

I doubt if Connect will ever have 7 day epg. It is not on their to do list.

The same channels except freesat doesn't have c4 in HD, just in SD. The channels on freesat come on a ready to use epg with no duplicates. The fta boxes need the channels to be sorted and duplicates deleted.

Thanks for the information. I read your freesat thread as well.

Just to add - freesat boxes automatically update if a channel changes frequency whereas generic satellite boxes don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I doubt if Connect will ever have 7 day epg. It is not on their to do list.
    Also the FTA channels need to be updated when they change , a FreeSat box does this automatically

Advertisement