Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement: One of our contributors is on The Great Irish Bake Off!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I noticed that too... good job last night, Will. Getting close to the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Were you surprised last night to see Paul giving different opinons on the bakes when he was talking to the camera away from ye.

When himself and Biddy he was very complementary to all of ye but very critical then afterwards.

The show lost all integrity when they praised some efforts but then slated them when bakers were not there.
    It's a pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I hear ya Lisha,

On the fllipside thankfully I am still there, I am loving the social media aspect to it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well done on staying in Chong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Really tough technical challenge last night, well done on getting through. Really liked the look of that bunt cake.

Brings back memories, had to do that exact dessert for an exam with him a few years ago!!

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Really tough technical challenge last night, well done on getting through. Really liked the look of that bunt cake.

Brings back memories, had to do that exact dessert for an exam with him a few years ago!!

With Paul Kelly?

Chong wrote: »
    With Paul Kelly?

Yep, 2 years of pastry classes with him in DIT

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Wow Will, how big is that Bunt cake! Just looking at the recipe on the TV3 website seems like a lot of ingredients. I only have a mini Bunt cake tin that I got in Lidl, I think that recipe would make 4 mini ones :/

Chocolate Bundt Cake topped with Honeycomb
    500g 70% chocolate
    400g plain flour
    100g cocoa powder
    1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    400ml Kahlua
    300ml sour cream
    126g butter, softened but still cool
    400g soft brown sugar
    3 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Boiling water

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Also, they never showed it on the show, but your Pineapple Coconut Roulade from last week looks amazing.

115983_636x357.jpg

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Yep, 2 years of pastry classes with him in DIT

Are you qualified now? he is a pretty awesome

• Advertisement

Size wise I am not sure I reckon 12 inch I can check later though when I get home

Chong wrote: »
    Are you qualified now? he is a pretty awesome

I didn't actually fully train as a chef, trained as a restaurant/bar manager and took pastry as my options. Best of both worlds!! He is a fantastic chef

Anyway, I'm dragging this OT, really looking forward to next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Chong that was a lovely clip of you and your bride to be:).

I thought it was a bit odd though that the only baking required for the technical challenge was only an accompaniment to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I thought that too - and I was kinda surprised, because they have included savoury baked stuff before, so I thought the focus was firmly on baking, not just desserts. But then I suppose for the showstoppers you could do something that's not baked if you wanted...steamed puddings or something?

I did think it was pretty nasty them saying they were really disappointed when they were on their own, but gushing about how tasty it was in front of the contestants - fair enough if they were disappointed, but why seem so impressed then? Biddy is annoying me especially - it's like she's got one descriptive word per episode and sticks with that. Two dishes last night were "lovely and gentle"...what?

/pernickety rant

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I thought that too - and I was kinda surprised, because they have included savoury baked stuff before, so I thought the focus was firmly on baking, not just desserts. But then I suppose for the showstoppers you could do something that's not baked if you wanted...steamed puddings or something?

I did think it was pretty nasty them saying they were really disappointed when they were on their own, but gushing about how tasty it was in front of the contestants - fair enough if they were disappointed, but why seem so impressed then? Biddy is annoying me especially - it's like she's got one descriptive word per episode and sticks with that. Two dishes last night were "lovely and gentle"...what?

/pernickety rant

No, I agree wholeheartly........Biddy is a bluffer of the highest order....So far she has come out with a "cheese" comment and a "honey" (I think - on Thurs gone she made a little spiel) comment...........She's not doing it for me at all!
    Bring on the Catherine from TV3.......Now you'd be talking!....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Only caught up now, well done again Chong! Was disappointed for Jarek, really liked him! A lot of the female contestants seem to be coasting, as Biddy put it about one of them at the start.

Thanks alot guys,

If you are in Dublin 9th of November this is for you :

http://t.co/BZOAJua0jI

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well GIBO has been given prime time Mr and Mrs Mugs hangover TV of a Sunday afternoon ! Congrats ! :P Have to resist watching it on the night which is tough.

Well impressed Chong !

You can really see people starting to buckle which is a shame as there's a lot of talent being let go home but you can't keep them all I suppose !

I'll miss Jarek, I enjoyed his baking but white Chocolate was a serious gamble to take !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Jarik was gas, never liked taking any criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Just thought I would chime in here. Liking all the contestants and enjoying seeing the different bakes.

However I'm not a fan of the judges or the woman hosting it. She keeps trying to be funny like Mel and Sue but she just isn't. Well, not for my sense of humour anyway.

Biddy and Paul are just too flowery. Most of the comments are "ahhh thats lovely" and maybe a comment about being slightly dry or simple. No real technical critiqueing(sp?). Maybe its more detailed at the time but they just don't show it on the show?

In saying all that I still generally enjoy the show, just not as much as GBBO.

Go on Will! :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What happens to all the cakes / breads / buns etc after the judges take their few bites?

awec wrote: »
    What happens to all the cakes / breads / buns etc after the judges take their few bites?

The crew, the staff and all the helpers tuck in :)

Chong the show is getting quite a bit of criticism. Do you feel very defensive of it, or do you agree with any of what people are saying (I don't expect you to say what you might agree with!)? While you were filming, did you expect any of the criticism that you've read/heard?

Did you watch GBBO final last night? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No spoilers for GBBO please!!!!

Chong the show is getting quite a bit of criticism. Do you feel very defensive of it, or do you agree with any of what people are saying (I don't expect you to say what you might agree with!)? While you were filming, did you expect any of the criticism that you've read/heard?

Did you watch GBBO final last night? :)

There has been increased criticism of late, whilst I do not agree with some aspects of it I think its only fair for people to have an opinion, and I respect what they have to say. Criticism like what we receive from the judges can only make us better, so I welcome that but I do find it hard to take nasty remarks on the contestants be it myself or others. Primarily because at the end of the day I have shown on here, on Twitter and Facebook that I am a regular guy, all I wanted to do going in to this show is bake, have fun and provide some semblance of entertainment in front of wider audience other than friends and family.

I have only grasped this of late but it was incredibly brave of the 500 people who applied to do so, fortunately 12 of us made it in to the show. I am an amateur baker and people forget that, we are all amateur bakers on the show people expect us to be Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry incarnate sometimes. I only this morning I had this discussion on another forum, there maybe 100's if not 1000's of other people in this country that are far better than us 12 but we had the balls to apply. Throughout the show and now I still think we as bakers, the judges and all the crew did a fantastic job. Yeah its not the Great British Bake Off but damn it we tried, its always going to be a difficult task to replicate perfection. Its our first season, and it may have issues or hiccups along the way but the British version in its infancy was no where near what season 4 just produced.

Genuine criticism over needless abuse will only serve to bolster next years bake off because it will be back.

I did watch the UK version and I was chuffed for
    Frances, she showed so much imagination and finally got the cakes right last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

How long do the judges pause between all the taste test? Do they take awhile and have a sip of water to neutralise their pallet?

You pretty much have it there Mrs Fox

Hope you like tonight's show guys :) and I will be in tomorrow if you have any questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Good luck ,hoping you survive the double elimination

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Good luck ,hoping you survive the double elimination

Is there another double elimination?? Jesus they're dropping like flies!

Advertisement