Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement: One of our contributors is on The Great Irish Bake Off!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Well done again Will!

I was glad to see you get some air time last night. I said it a couple of times but you haven't seemed to have featured a huge amount compared to some of the others, so it was a nice surprise to see you spring from nowhere and have such a good night :)

I saw Paul giving some good tips out last night, did the judges do that a lot? I also saw him giving Jarek a bit of a pep talk at the end, which was lovely. He seems really keen to help people.

Are you watching the Great British Bakeoff? If so, what do you think of the contestants remaining and who do you want to win?

Thanks alot IBC :)

Tbh those tips were rare and in fact I never received any tips the whole way through the show or pep talks. Also I think Baldy may have mentioned on the thread about giving out dodgy tips on the custard, the advice I gave Steve was 100% correct in the method how to make custard, they made it seem like it wasn't. I was one of very few to have a good custard on the day. They only marked me down on the elderflower, simply because I didnt add enough, as I had never tasted it prior to the show.

I was a fan of the British Bake off but alot of my faves have left, but I want Kim or Beca to win now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Chong wrote: »
    Thanks alot IBC :)

Tbh those tips were rare and in fact I never received any tips the whole way through the show or pep talks. Also I think Baldy may have mentioned on the thread about giving out dodgy tips on the custard, the advice I gave Steve was 100% correct in the method how to make custard, they made it seem like it wasn't. I was one of very few to have a good custard on the day. They only marked me down on the elderflower, simply because I didnt add enough, as I had never tasted it prior to the show.

I was a fan of the British Bake off but alot of my faves have left, but I want Kim or Beca to win now.

Delighted to see you get your dues last night, Good luck with the rest of it (I know it's already been shot)!

Also, those mixers look crap compared to the uk version!

Thanks alot Sweetie, the mixers meant nothing to me as I didnt have one at home bar a crappy little handwhisk I bought in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

You know, I was so rooting for you last night that I secretly hoped Stephen would drop his beautiful roulade. lol

You legend Mrs Fox, tell all your friends to support me too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Will! Well done last night; did you get any apology for the fact they provided you with dried instead of fresh figs? Not gonna lie, I would've had a feckin fit :O

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Congrats again,

Was Mary Anne crying as much as the editing made it seem ?

Do ye have too much time to make stuff as in the British one there seems to be a lot more pressure, on the Irish one there is a lot more friendship and helping out.

Who do you think is your main rival at this stage?

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi Will! Well done last night; did you get any apology for the fact they provided you with dried instead of fresh figs? Not gonna lie, I would've had a feckin fit :O

Yup and you move on, turned out great in the end

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Congrats again,

Was Mary Anne crying as much as the editing made it seem ?

Do ye have too much time to make stuff as in the British one there seems to be a lot more pressure, on the Irish one there is a lot more friendship and helping out.

Who do you think is your main rival at this stage?

Maryanne had a hard day and I cant remember too much as I was the opposite end of the tent. We have loads of time, most showstoppers are nearly 5 hours long. We are very bonded at this stage and all get on so well.

My main rival was myself and being nervous however I put pay to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Heh, Don't worry Chong, I was joking last night about the custard!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm . Have some catching up to do, sounds like you are doing great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Oh well done Will! I watch on 3player so just seeing it now. Is it weird being congratulated on stuff now that you did months ago?

I'm so sorry to see Bridget and Steve go, they were two of the most fun I thought (I know it's seriously edited, but they usually seemed pretty jokey about things, even when they were going wrong).

I've eaten a whole pack of tangfastics watching that. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Well done on last nights show, your tear and share bread looked amazing, did ye get much of a chance to practice things like that (off screen) during the competition? Did ye all have separate ovens, if so how did you cope with the heat in the marquee?

I wish you all the best for next week.

Oh well done Will! I watch on 3player so just seeing it now. Is it weird being congratulated on stuff now that you did months ago?

I'm so sorry to see Bridget and Steve go, they were two of the most fun I thought (I know it's seriously edited, but they usually seemed pretty jokey about things, even when they were going wrong).

I've eaten a whole pack of tangfastics watching that. :o

It is actually quite weird, especially as I know the full result :)

cofy wrote: »
    Well done on last nights show, your tear and share bread looked amazing, did ye get much of a chance to practice things like that (off screen) during the competition? Did ye all have separate ovens, if so how did you cope with the heat in the marquee?

I wish you all the best for next week.

We had I think 2 weeks prior to practice, and I practiced like a lunatic in that time for all the sigs and showstoppers.

We all had our own ovens, strangely it never seemed extremely hot.

oh and thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I made Paul Kellys Tear and Share bread at the weekend. It was fab, and really very easy.
    Getting the shape right took a bit of effort, but it looked and tasted great. Well worth the effort.

http://www.tv3.ie/show_article.php?article=114997&locID=1.65.1000&request=thegreatirishbakeoff

Good luck this week, Will

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Watched this last night !

Well done Will and go you for Star Baker !

Very impressed with your desserts ! :)

Will be on tomorrow morning for my usual post bake off chat :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Chong wrote: »
    Will be on tomorrow morning for my usual post bake off chat :)

Best of luck and I think I speak for everyone here when I say, mmmmmmmm chocolate.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only got to watch last week's show last night. Well done Chong.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Only got to watch last week's show last night. Well done Chong.

Thanks alot Bazmo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Good luck Chong. We're fighting over the remote, I've given in. Recording tonight's show and will watch it when I get the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Nice little shill of your blog there Will :p

Really enjoying the show over the last few weeks. Rooting for you!!

Thanks so much guys will be tomorrow morning wooohhooooo :)

Well done on surviving another week :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Very well done again Chong, that technical challenge looked like a killer. Your chocolate cake looked delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

I loved your honeycomb, something I never have thought of or seen done before - you made it look so easy, but I think it would take a lot of practice. Well done tonight.

cofy wrote: »
    I loved your honeycomb, something I never have thought of or seen done before - you made it look so easy, but I think it would take a lot of practice. Well done tonight.

Morning baking people :)

Week 5 we had literally 4 days to prepare and practice, as we were only given the show theme after week 4, I made it once and it worked so I went with it.

Were you surprised last night to see Paul giving different opinons on the bakes when he was talking to the camera away from ye.

When himself and Biddy he was very complementary to all of ye but very critical then afterwards.

• Advertisement

fitzcoff wrote: »
    Were you surprised last night to see Paul giving different opinons on the bakes when he was talking to the camera away from ye.

When himself and Biddy he was very complementary to all of ye but very critical then afterwards.

It seemed strange alright, as a viewer especially. Sometimes you are sitting there thinking WTF?

Advertisement