Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement: One of our contributors is on The Great Irish Bake Off!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I thought you were a gonner this week when they featured you at home awkwardly eating cake with your ol man. ;)

most awkward shot ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

most awkward shot ever.

I thought it was sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi Will, I was wondering about the level of detail ye were given in the recipe for the technical challenge on last night's show. Were ye given a full ingredients list, full instructions and a cooking temperature and time guideline? The standard of bread seemed so high, I wondered did you and the other contestants feel ye were given too much direction or are ye just all excellent? :)

We given ingredients but the instructions are very scant, like how long to knead and proof for etc. Direction wise its very low indeed they also throw you with saying make on the bench rather than bowl that f'ed me up!

huskerdu wrote: »
    Hi Chong, Congrats so far, and good luck with the rest of the series.

For the party bread recipe, 2.5 hours is not a lot if you are expected to do 2 proves. You obviously had to do quick proves and you had a warming oven. However, I notice some people proved the dough on the counter, in the tent.

Were you given instructions on the proving and timings, or did you have to work it out for yourselves.
    Was it warm enough in the tent for the dough to double in an hour or less.

It looked like a great recipe. I have never done a non-sweet enriched bread, only sweet ones. I bet it tasted fab.

It was gorgeous to eat! RE: proof time for me anyways a bread of that nature should take 15 mins to make, 45 mins to proof first then knock back, then another 30 min proof, with 30 min bake.

Check out my latest breads here this week :

http://www.thecooksbelly.com/2013/10/bread-knot.html

most awkward shot ever.

Strange alright, was delighted to see my dad on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Chong wrote: »
    It was gorgeous to eat! RE: proof time for me anyways a bread of that nature should take 15 mins to make, 45 mins to proof first then knock back, then another 30 min proof, with 30 min bake.

Check out my latest breads here this week :

http://www.thecooksbelly.com/2013/10/bread-knot.html

Interesting. Do you typically use fresh yeast. I usually use dried active yeast and I find for ordinary bread, a long slow prove gives better textured bread then a faster warmer prove but I dont know if it makes a difference with enriched bread.

I have only fresh a handful of times, you may find it hard to get it though, I buy mine at Superquinn.

I be honest much prefer the fresh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Only got to watch this last night.

I was sitting there shouting at the screen "I'd OWN that Soda Bread one"

That's about the extent of it for me and bread though because yeast is TOUGH work and fresh yeast even tougher !

Fair play Chong ! You're hanging on in there !!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I watched it tonight - well done Chong! I'm looking forward to the desserts next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Chong, do you live in Portmarnock? Thought I saw you at the dart station this morning!

• Advertisement

Ah here I dont mind hahaha I do live in Portmarnock, are you from the area :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

They tell you where all the contestants are from on the show anyway!!

Don't worry Chong, none of us will stalk you ....

.... Yet!

Hello there,

Roll on tonight and I will be on here tomorrow as usual :)

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Chong wrote: »
    Hello there,

Roll on tonight and I will be on here tomorrow as usual :)

Will

Looking forward to it.

Will be watching about 30 mins behind (to kill the ads) tonight.

Hope it goes well Will! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are you in touch with the other contestants? Are you going to remain friends with them? Are there one or two you hated?

In touch with mostly everyone bar Daire as he is not on social media, defo remain friends good bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Good luck tonight with the double elimination

Good man Will!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good man Will!

Agreed! Well done Will, delighted for you!

I'm like you I love custard but my girlfriend hates it, they're missing out! haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I posted right here in the Reality TV forum, but looking forward to the mornings Q&A by you. That was a nice idea by you btw. Well Done to date Chong! I am Happy for you :)

• Advertisement

Double well done!

Well done Will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yay Chong! ******stars all around***********
    Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Well done, delighted for you.

Wish they would show more of your bakes :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yay! Very well done Chong. I'd have loved to see all your desserts, I hate that they don't show all of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Fantastic week to rightly earn baker of the week!

Your desserts looked fantastic, the tear and share sticky bread looked yum!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Loughc wrote: »
    Your desserts looked fantastic, the tear and share sticky bread looked yum!
    Heh, yeah.

Will: "you're supposed to tear a bit off and pass it around the table..."

Biddy: "ooh, pass it over here!"

I love you all and I will be on in the morning :)

Morning all I am here for questions all day :)

• Advertisement

Well done again Will!

I was glad to see you get some air time last night. I said it a couple of times but you haven't seemed to have featured a huge amount compared to some of the others, so it was a nice surprise to see you spring from nowhere and have such a good night :)

I saw Paul giving some good tips out last night, did the judges do that a lot? I also saw him giving Jarek a bit of a pep talk at the end, which was lovely. He seems really keen to help people.

Are you watching the Great British Bakeoff? If so, what do you think of the contestants remaining and who do you want to win?

Advertisement