Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Announcement: One of our contributors is on The Great Irish Bake Off!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads I hope ye liked it this week :) will be on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Hey will!

Enjoyed this week again :)

Just wondering, I thought I read last week that it was all filmed in one day, bit this week it seems its over two days?

How much notice to you get for the show stopper tasks and the signature bakes?

Hey will!

Enjoyed this week again :)

Just wondering, I thought I read last week that it was all filmed in one day, bit this week it seems its over two days?

How much notice to you get for the show stopper tasks and the signature bakes?

Hello there :)

I hope you enjoyed my stuff despite not being heavily featured last night.

We got about 2-3 weeks notice I think in advance if I remember correctly.

Generally one day, one long long ass day :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Chong wrote: »
    Hello there :)

I hope you enjoyed my stuff despite not being heavily featured last night.

We got about 2-3 weeks notice I think in advance if I remember correctly.

Generally one day, one long long ass day :)

Is it as pressurized as it looks?

During the first baking challenge it looked like most of ye were seriously bricking it! It looks so full on and like a (pardon the pun) pressure cooker!

Loughc wrote: »
    Is it as pressurized as it looks?

During the first baking challenge it looked like most of ye were seriously bricking it! It looks so full on and like a (pardon the pun) pressure cooker!

Its incredibly pressurized they are dying for something go wrong, and I am bricking it in that first episode absolutely bricking it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Chong wrote: »
    Its incredibly pressurized they are dying for something go wrong, and I am bricking it in that first episode absolutely bricking it!

How long ago was last night's episode recorded?

Loughc wrote: »
    How long ago was last night's episode recorded?

It was recorded back in early May

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is there really a full tent beside that house? They only ever show the front of it. I have a sneaky suspicion that they put up the front of a tent beside the house for show, but GIBO is filmed in a TV3 studio. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Is there really a full tent beside that house? They only ever show the front of it. I have a sneaky suspicion that they put up the front of a tent beside the house for show, but GIBO is filmed in a TV3 studio. :)

Its filmed in Clonabreany house in Meath, they have 24/7 marquee erected there for weddings. I am actually off there in the morning to suss my own wedding out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Hi Chong, what was the savoury tart you baked last for last nights show?

• Advertisement

We never got to see did we hmmmm....

It was a Roscoff sweet onion tart with gorgeous Coolea cheese.

The recipe is here

http://www.tv3.ie/show_article.php?article=114531&locID=1.65.1000&request=thegreatirishbakeoff

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

It was very strange that the cameras didn't show your 2 tarts last night, there seems to be selective editing.

I didn't realise that all the recipes were online. Was Paul's tart tasty? it looks good, should I go to the effort to make it over the weekend?

Well done on getting into next weeks

Thanks alot Fitzcoff!

His tart was gorgeous we tasted it later that day.

I really cant fathom why editing went the way it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's always the same with these shows. They'll edit so that the people who are bad and who could possibly be sent home are shown quite a bit and then they'll also show the ones who are contenders for star baker. Then the ones who aren't in either category aren't shown as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Will are you told to make it seem like it's filmed over two days? Cos when you were talking to Anna, you said something about "yesterday's challenge".

Also, this might have already been asked, but do you do your own shopping for your ingredients, or do you send a list and they're provided? If you buy them yourself are you reimbursed? And is there a price limit on what you can have?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I noticed on the British one that they wear the same clothes throughout, but it's clearly filmed over two days. Obviously the clothing is for continuity in case they need to refilm something.

Will are you told to make it seem like it's filmed over two days? Cos when you were talking to Anna, you said something about "yesterday's challenge".

Also, this might have already been asked, but do you do your own shopping for your ingredients, or do you send a list and they're provided? If you buy them yourself are you reimbursed? And is there a price limit on what you can have?

First question I am not sure I can answer however second I can answer.

We submit our ingredients, and there is no limit I dont think, and they buy all our ingredients.

I hope I am answering question well enough.

I will be doing my usual Friday if anyone is interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Cheers Chong :) it's great having insider information!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

So I watched it last night. Well done Chong !

Can't imagine making that Bakewell was very easy ! Was shocked to see that dude go. :(

Thought Aoife was done for ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Good luck this week, Chong!

Thanks alot everyone, will be on tomorrow morning and my blog will go up straight after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Well done again this week. Looking forward to next week already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Hey Chong - how long does it take to make butter, and is it very different to shop bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I thought you were a gonner this week when they featured you at home awkwardly eating cake with your ol man. ;)

Hahaha thanks Bazmo ! :)

Baldy, its fairly straight forward basically whip a litre of cream for 10-12 mins.

It will separate, drain in a sieve and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.

Pressing in to a block and salt if desired.

Tastes alot nicer than normal butter, far more creamy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hi Will, I was wondering about the level of detail ye were given in the recipe for the technical challenge on last night's show. Were ye given a full ingredients list, full instructions and a cooking temperature and time guideline? The standard of bread seemed so high, I wondered did you and the other contestants feel ye were given too much direction or are ye just all excellent? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi Chong, Congrats so far, and good luck with the rest of the series.

For the party bread recipe, 2.5 hours is not a lot if you are expected to do 2 proves. You obviously had to do quick proves and you had a warming oven. However, I notice some people proved the dough on the counter, in the tent.

Were you given instructions on the proving and timings, or did you have to work it out for yourselves.
    Was it warm enough in the tent for the dough to double in an hour or less.

It looked like a great recipe. I have never done a non-sweet enriched bread, only sweet ones. I bet it tasted fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hi Will, I was wondering about the level of detail ye were given in the recipe for the technical challenge on last night's show. Were ye given a full ingredients list, full instructions and a cooking temperature and time guideline? The standard of bread seemed so high, I wondered did you and the other contestants feel ye were given too much direction or are ye just all excellent? :)

Hi Dee,
    Similar question to mine, I agree that the standard was very high. Pauls only comments were that some were untidier than others and some rose slightly less. Maybe its not as hard as he thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

dee_mc wrote: »

Dee_mc - there is a recipe here,
    http://www.tv3.ie/show_article.php?article=114997&locID=1.65.1000&request=thegreatirishbakeoff
    I dont know if this is the same as the contestants are given.

Also they seem to love the Stephen fella, he seems to be getting most of the screen time.

Advertisement