Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

new series starting on BBC4 next Tuesday at 19:30 The boats that built Britain
    Sailor and writer Tom Cunliffe takes a voyage through the history of British seafaring and puts some of the vessels featured in the programme through their paces

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00scc5w

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you have a minute to spare it would be nice to see this small irish business "Alchemy Marine" http://www.alchemy-marine.com win an award in "classic boat" yacht of the year, just go to the spirit of tradition category and tick the box marked "Elizabethan 23" fill in your name and email address and then click the submit button! http://www.classicboat.co.uk/awards2016/

Cheers, I have no connection to this just think it's a nice boat :)

12341088_1667895096824656_6169222520687796767_n.jpg?oh=a15b8fb3e3bf4fb6c3d7cb0de1bffbae&oe=57229D91

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Boat in trouble in Lough Key if anyone knows the owner get them to check on it as the water is dropping and she will be left high and dry on the stone jetty.

12359960_10153207740226332_2531483005190506971_n.jpg?oh=ac0bd1f4fa9aa4a1ba910603f6d5052b&oe=57222E29

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

First Irish sailor to achieve a podium finish in the IMOCA Ocean Masters world championships.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/it-was-a-very-hairy-moment-irish-sailor-talks-life-on-the-high-seas-after-historic-transatlantic-race-finish-34302150.html

60 years old and now qualified for the Vendee Globe.

• Advertisement

Wishing you all the best for the new year, have a good one and be safe.

Hopefully she will make an appearance this year :)

addtext_com_MTQ0MDIwMzUxNDc_zpsf5zfhu3h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Same to you to Fergal. Did you have any luck at all in locating your boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,941 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not sure if this will appear on the TG4 player at any stage - I can't find it right now, but it's not long finished - but if you can find it, it's a great watch!

http://www.afloat.ie/resources/maritime-tv-programmes/item/30986-ras-na-huiceiri-go-ciarrai-on-tg4-tonight

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not sure if this will appear on the TG4 player at any stage - I can't find it right now, but it's not long finished - but if you can find it, it's a great watch!

http://www.afloat.ie/resources/maritime-tv-programmes/item/30986-ras-na-huiceiri-go-ciarrai-on-tg4-tonight

looks like this is on again on TG4 tonight at 8:25. Ras na ciarri is down on the tv listings

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    looks like this is on again on TG4 tonight at 8:25. Ras na ciarri is down on the tv listings
    That looks like it alright, well spotted!

Mr wild oats died over the weekend. Wonder is that the end of the cutting and adding of various bits of boat to wild oats

http://www.smh.com.au/business/wild-oats-xi-owner-bob-oatley-dead-at-87-20160110-gm2wq5.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sad news but he had a good life! Pity he never managed to get the Americas Cup rules changed, it would be much more fun/entertaining had he succeeded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone seen All Is Lost? It's on Netflix.

It's a one man tale with Robert Redford and minimal dialogue. His yacht is damaged, but he is quite practically minded, good at improvising. There are moments of desperation and exasperation, some similarities to Cast Away and Jaws. Pretty good, but I found it quite bleak at times. Left me with lots of question about sailing/survival equipment. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

No spoilers please, I bought the DVD months ago but have not yet watched it.;):confused::pac::eek::(:o:)

No spoilers please, I bought the DVD months ago but have not yet watched it.;):confused::pac::eek::(:o:)
    It's great!

A masterclass in acting without speaking :D

I went to see it with a bunch of sailors, and of course we all came out harumphing about "I wouldn't have done that" and "did you see that, that'd NEVER happen" - although in fairness there were relatively few clangers.

Great film!

Big fire in a site beside a Cowes boatyard aparently 40-50 boats destroyed including a load of etchells and some of the 1/4 ton fleet

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-35407492

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=171472
    Cowes development officer for the UK Etchells Fleet, Rob Goddard said: ’15 Etchells from the Cowes fleet are allegedly destroyed, we cannot enter the shed yet to check the exact number or condition, David Franks the Cowes Fleet Captain has been actively sourcing replacement vessels,

‘In Cowes we have in excess of 30 boats, and the majority of them race regularly in our One Design fleet.

‘This year with the Etchells Worlds Championships taking place in Cowes, potentially this fire could have caused a major issue, but with Class Captain, David Franks finding and securing potential replacement vessels, and owners such as Matt Hannaby who lost his boat “Escape” taking prompt action having already negotiated a replacement, we are confident in the Worlds not only proceeding but being a major success, particularly as some potential new skippers to the fleet have decided that they should proceed now with their boat purchases rather than wait any further.

‘Luckily David Heritages workshop did not catch fire, and as such all new builds should be completed well ahead of the championships.

Big fire in a site beside a Cowes boatyard aparently 40-50 boats destroyed including a load of etchells and some of the 1/4 ton fleet

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-35407492

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=171472
    Cowes development officer for the UK Etchells Fleet, Rob Goddard said: ’15 Etchells from the Cowes fleet are allegedly destroyed, we cannot enter the shed yet to check the exact number or condition, David Franks the Cowes Fleet Captain has been actively sourcing replacement vessels,

‘In Cowes we have in excess of 30 boats, and the majority of them race regularly in our One Design fleet.

‘This year with the Etchells Worlds Championships taking place in Cowes, potentially this fire could have caused a major issue, but with Class Captain, David Franks finding and securing potential replacement vessels, and owners such as Matt Hannaby who lost his boat “Escape” taking prompt action having already negotiated a replacement, we are confident in the Worlds not only proceeding but being a major success, particularly as some potential new skippers to the fleet have decided that they should proceed now with their boat purchases rather than wait any further.

‘Luckily David Heritages workshop did not catch fire, and as such all new builds should be completed well ahead of the championships.

http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/major-fire-at-cowes-boat-yard-26018

Didn't Fergal post here last year about WI selling off barges?

One featuring now on Nationwide.

Young wan who bought it is a student, may she go far on it!

(In a glaring reality clanger, she's shown turning up to work on the rusting hulk in white jeans :D)

Didn't Fergal post here last year about WI selling off barges?

One featuring now on Nationwide.

Young wan who bought it is a student, may she go far on it!

(In a glaring reality clanger, she's shown turning up to work on the rusting hulk in white jeans :D)

Ah now I also work wearing white :) For anyone that missed it http://www.rte.ie/news/player/nationwide/

20150708_151804_zps4scacihw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Interesting morning in DB spring chicken today..

1720 went AWOL and was heading for the Aviva with a stuck kite and MOB, committee boat had to go rescue them and radioed the fleet to take their own time at the finish :D

DL lifeboat came out for a look (don't know if they were called - maybe by an onlooker) and overheard on the radio was something like 'you need assistance?' 'no we got it' 'ok we'll just hang around in case'

Apart from that, it was f'n BALTIC out there.. hailstones, 30kt squalls and unpleasant lump.

So, what did anyone else get up to this morning? :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I had a very late and lazy lie in :D

Did you manage to stay onboard?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stheno wrote: »
    I had a very late and lazy lie in :D

Did you manage to stay onboard?

:D:D:D

I hate you!

Yes, I stayed on board, would've been dryer in the water though...:D

Steve wrote: »
    :D:D:D

I hate you!

Yes, I stayed on board, would've been dryer in the water though...:D

Now now remember this weekend was my first since Christmas where I woke up and realised I didn't have to spend all my time writing a dissertation

I was kidding, you deserve it and well done!

Still jealous tho, when I got in the car this mornng and the hailstones were pelting I was thinking 'how is this fun?'... :D

Interesting morning in DB spring chicken today..

1720 went AWOL and was heading for the Aviva with a stuck kite and MOB, committee boat had to go rescue them and radioed the fleet to take their own time at the finish :D

DL lifeboat came out for a look (don't know if they were called - maybe by an onlooker) and overheard on the radio was something like 'you need assistance?' 'no we got it' 'ok we'll just hang around in case'

Apart from that, it was f'n BALTIC out there.. hailstones, 30kt squalls and unpleasant lump.

So, what did anyone else get up to this morning? :D

think they only got 1 days racing done for the brass monkeys in howth and that was in the series before christmas. looked like a nasty sea running on saturday afternoon from the comfort of the bar

neris wrote: »
    think they only got 1 days racing done for the brass monkeys in howth and that was in the series before christmas. looked like a nasty sea running on saturday afternoon from the comfort of the bar

It was similar in DBSC brass monkeys, most were abandoned due to weather.

It was similar in DBSC brass monkeys, most were abandoned due to weather.
    Ah now, they got in 5 Turkey Shoot races out of 7! (Mind you, they had to go an extra Sunday to get the last race in....)

Was meant to be out on Sunday - from what I've been hearing, I'm not sorry work got in the way and I missed it! :eek::eek:

Ah now, they got in 5 Turkey Shoot races out of 7! (Mind you, they had to go an extra Sunday to get the last race in....)

Was meant to be out on Sunday - from what I've been hearing, I'm not sorry work got in the way and I missed it! :eek::eek:

I missed the last day of the turkey, did they get more than one in?

You were better off last Sunday, it was horrible :D

• Advertisement

I missed the last day of the turkey, did they get more than one in?

You were better off last Sunday, it was horrible :D
    No, only the one, and tbh I think if he hadn't been under such pressure to get a fifth in to make a series they wouldn't have started us. The half hour before our start was mental, boat-breaking weather (although no damage was done, that I heard of anyway). It did calm down and turn into a lovely race after the start, though.

Any word of the MOB from the 1720? Hope he/she is OK, and had a wet or dry suit on :eek::eek:

Advertisement