Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm out tomorrow maybe I'd better stop off in the chemist?
    Well the forecast ain't looking any prettier......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Any idea what fleets? I've a few pals on that course today :eek:

Who ever was racing in howth. A corby 25 came into howth and another went back to d.l. a j109 came into howth about 430 with a kite wrapped so well around the forestay it started to shred when they were untangling it. Also heard there was a man overboard. Lifeboat out 3 times today

Another one of our fleet dismasted :eek:

There'll be nobody left by Sunday at this rate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Aye, was tough out there today.

2 masts down that I know about, 1 in C1 on the Howth course, one on C3.

Did anyone else get the mayday from holyhead? 1 casualty and boat shipping water.. Hope they were rescued.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

GP14s, Squibs, Mermaids and Flying Fifteens had an ok race today. I know one of the Fireball crews from the DM joined up on a bigger boat today instead; the weather coming up to 11:30 was looking like a repeat of yesterday for South Bull/Salthill. Calmed down nicely enough for a while though, came back up and then went away again as all the dinghies tried to go home. Better than dismasting though.

Couldn't have our radio on dual watch unfortunately; had to hear the RO calling for mark moves (through the wind over the mic).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

http://afloat.ie/sail/events/volvo-dun-laoghaire-regatta/item/29315-dun-laoghaire-regatta-day-two-blog

Afloat.ie blog with video of one of the very windy starts and photos of one boat dismasted.

Is it the high winds and load it is putting on the main that is causing the dismasting?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hit 19.4 knots in a J80 today in the regatta!
    Some buzz (literally)!
    Nothing broken.
    Pretty tough out there.
    Looking forward to tomorrow!

Not been out in a couple of years. Nice refresher today but that was a long, wet, cold beat back to DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cricalix

Met's short-range forecast (good to 1400 right now) shows very moderated winds in comparison to yesterday, with rain arriving sometime after 1400.

Why do clubs/events always persist with a band blaring music right after sailing?

Hear big trouble yesterday after the boats coming back off the howth course crossed the shipping lane and one ferry had to hit reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    Why do clubs/events always persist with a band blaring music right after sailing?
    I really don't know, you'd think the expanse of empty tables around them would give them a hint....
    Hear big trouble yesterday after the boats coming back off the howth course crossed the shipping lane and one ferry had to hit reverse.
    Who was that?

No call for it as the roundabout buoy wasn't far off the rhum line to the harbour.

Was a nasty sail back tho.

Very flukey conditions there today.
    Tough job to organise 2 races with revolving wind. Fair play to all the organisers.

I won't be out tomorrow. Best of luck to all for the last race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Stheno wrote: »
    .......very windy starts and photos of one boat dismasted.

Is it the high winds and load it is putting on the main that is causing the dismasting?

Not really; if you have too much main up and it is very windy, the boat will just lean over too much and be laid flat ; as it rights it will luff right up into the wind, because the more the boat leans over the rudder and keel are horizontal in the water and not much use. At that stage all you can do is hang on and ease the sheets. If you are racing hard when the weather is blustery and you do not want to reef/shake out a reef continuously, on a beat you can slide the traveller all the way down the track – this has the effect of narrowing the vertical slot between the foresail & main, so the luff of the main is backwinded and only part of it draws ; also easing the mainsheet in gusts helps helm in a straight line and stay upright.

Dismasting usually follows a mix of gear failure and an unfortunate sequence of events. The gear generally is designed to cope with what it is supposed to do, but bad tuning of a mast or metal fatigue or corrosion (or a combination of all) can cause aluminium to fail – e.g. a boom can break at the kicker, where rivets have corroded and it forms a weak spot. Usually when something minor breaks it triggers a chain reaction. On the weather side a rigging screw might break, or a shroud fail or a spreader collapse - that would then cause more pressure on the remaining stay/shroud, so it would part and then ….crash!

That’s why the insurer usually carries only 60% of the risk when you are racing.

It was 4-5 with gusts of 6 today in the SW, seagulls on the lawn!

Both of the masts that came down in our fleet were under spinny at the time. Both days it was gusting up to 30kts, so huge loads on the rigs.

Yesterday was the flukiest, flakiest day I think I've ever spent saiing. There was wind, no wind, mad gusts, wild shifts (the RO said at one stage he had wind directions of 145 and 180/190 at the same time on the same - not very long - beat. I'd say he was glad of his pint when he got in!) It really was the most bizarre conditions!

Hopefully today will be a bit steadier - and lighter!

Not quite, a reliable source in DPA said a few boats got into trouble in the shipping lane and a ship had to take avoiding action. They weren't crossing intentionally.

Steve wrote: »
    Not quite, a reliable source in DPA said a few boats got into trouble in the shipping lane and a ship had to take avoiding action. They weren't crossing intentionally.

There were some pretty violent gusts there alright. I can see how that coupled with very tired and cold crew after some very challenging and wet race conditions and a long upwind slog home might lead to incidents.

im only going on 2nd hand info. we did get our race back to howth today in the 17s stopped just before the turning mark as the ulysses ws coming in but was a good call from the guys in the national who started us.

i didnt race till saturday but was over thursday in a rib, sailed & went boozing yesterday and set off back home today and have to say it was a great event and another well run year with some good beers and food aswell.

this came into howth on friday afternoon, i wont name and shame

20150710_154016.jpg

Anyone hear anything about a boat sinking off clontarf or in the bay on saturday. Over heard parts of a conversation yesterday but didnt know the people to ask them

Anyone hear anything about a boat sinking off clontarf or in the bay on saturday. Over heard parts of a conversation yesterday but didnt know the people to ask them
    I was out on a committee boat in DL harbour on Saturday, didn't hear anything.

I know there was a regatta of some sorts over there - the Glens were sent off before DBSC racing to head over, think they were to come back the same evening.

Hope you're wrong!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was out on a committee boat in DL harbour on Saturday, didn't hear anything.

I know there was a regatta of some sorts over there - the Glens were sent off before DBSC racing to head over, think they were to come back the same evening.

Hope you're wrong!

Yeah was the Clontarf regatta that was on. The helicopter was flying around poolbeg chimneys/sandymount when we were leaving about 3ish but an article on afloat said they were training and then got called over to howth to a cliff rescue.

• Advertisement

Yeah was the Clontarf regatta that was on. The helicopter was flying around poolbeg chimneys/sandymount when we were leaving about 3ish but an article on afloat said they were training and then got called over to howth to a cliff rescue.
    The heli may also have been assisting over at DL - one of our ribs said that there were CG and divers outside the East Pier, presumably looking for that missing lady. Heli was coming and going the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

when we were returning to poolbeg on saturday evening we passed three ribs trying to right an EBoat that was capsised just east of the alexander basin. is was half submerged (in shallow water) but i thought i heard one of the guys in the club say they got it back afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There is no dignified way of getting into, or out of, a wetsuit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Beyond the age of 25 there is no way of looking dignified in a wetsuit!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Step 1. Insert minor leg (least strong) into wetsuit, pull up to knees
    Step 2. Insert major leg, pull up to knees then to waist.
    Step 3. Insert minor arm pull up to shoulder.
    Step 4. Insert major arm, pull up to shoulder.
    Step 5. Contort onself trying to pull up the zip.
    Step 6. Accept defeat, and ask friend to pull up zip.

Getting out:
    Step 1. Ask someone to unzip you
    Step 2. remove both arms, peel wetsuit down to waist.
    Step 3.. Remove major leg
    Step 4. Remove minor leg

Peel wetsuit away in entirety, forever grateful you worse a full swimsuit (if female) or swimming shorts, as opposed to speedos if you are male :)

I prefer drysuits :)

Youtube vid or I call fake!!

:p

Getting out:
    Step 4. Remove minor leg

Peel wetsuit away in entirety, forever grateful you worse a full swimsuit (if female) or swimming shorts, as opposed to speedos if you are male :)

Youtube vid or I call fake!!

:p

Drysuits, Steve, drysuits :D

Step in, zip up and away you go :)

No appalling discoveries of unhideable flab as well :D

Drysuits, Steve, drysuits :D

Step in, zip up and away you go :)

No appalling discoveries of unhideable flab as well :D

Just sayin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Getting out:
    Step 4. Remove minor leg

Just go commando the shorts ride up, best way is buy a camper van and get changed in it.

Advertisement