Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

He was fine, met him on the dock heading for a warm shower. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Mumified body of a german sailor found off the Philipines over the weekend

warning: articles contain graphic images

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/riddle-over-mummified-body-of-adventurer-found-in-abandoned-yacht-34500749.html

http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/02/29/dead-calm/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/9194_Hell-on-high-seas.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEbZW3816M

This could be..... entertaining (for us, not them :eek:)

More power to them, I'm slightly dubious about going out for a two hour race this morning in Dublin Bay!!

I'll be tuning in to The One Show every evening to see how it's going! If anyone knows of any other coverage, post it up here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Hafway through my dayskipper theory course - head is melting at this stage!

Am now questioning everytime time reference to see if it is UTC or DST!

ezra_ wrote: »
    Hafway through my dayskipper theory course - head is melting at this stage!

Am now questioning everytime time reference to see if it is UTC or DST!

Passed it - have now found a new love of maps and chart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ANyone looking for gear, the Musto shop is back in Kildare Village.

Stheno wrote: »
    ANyone looking for gear, the Musto shop is back in Kildare Village.

How good is the value compared to places like Viking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Viking? Is that the shop on the way to the airport?

Stheno wrote: »
    Viking? Is that the shop on the way to the airport?

Dun Laoghaire...

Dun Laoghaire...

Ah yeah sorry!

I'd say on average about 30% cheaper than Viking at least. Depending on what promotions are running they also do an extra 10-15% off on particular weekends.

The last time they were in Kildare Village, they had sailing gloves for I think a fiver, which were probably bought out by members of this forum :D

And they have a good selection of sizes :D (older posters will remember the whinging about it only having giant man sizes :D)_

• Advertisement

Another death on the Clipper race :mad:

RIP

http://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/35947394

The second one on that boat in this year's race, if I'm not mistaken. The poor other crew, they'll be traumatised.

That's tragic :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Another death on the Clipper race :mad:

RIP

http://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/35947394

The second one on that boat in this year's race, if I'm not mistaken. The poor other crew, they'll be traumatised.

Very sad they lost a guy on the same boat in the first leg he was hit by the boom. This thime it was a mob the searched for her for over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That's horrific. Poor woman.
    I was at a talk a few weeks ago by the Garda who was on the boat that had a man over board in the last race. That guy was gone for about an hour and a half before they got him but somehow managed to survive. That experience had really affected him, can't imagine what that crew are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

neris wrote: »

Afloat seem to be stuck for articles to publish. I remember seeing that years ago and I have just checked - it was August 2006 !
    I believe that the Island was washed away again in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

"The crew had an uneasy feeling and upped their speed" - I hope not under engine!

A similar event is attributed to the story of St. Brendan landing on the back of a whale during his voyage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Might be worth a look. Britain's Biggest superyachts: Chasing Perfection. BBC2 09:00

A behind the scenes look at Sunseeker Britain's biggest superyacht builder, as they build their first £20m forty-meter flagship.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Might be worth a look. Britain's Biggest superyachts: Chasing Perfection. BBC2 09:00

A behind the scenes look at Sunseeker Britain's biggest superyacht builder, as they build their first £20m forty-meter flagship.

Thought sunseeker went bust few years back (again)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

neris wrote: »
    Thought sunseeker went bust few years back (again)

They were bought up by China's "Wanda" group but still brattish of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,368 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well worth reading.
    The seven fishermen aboard the Carolina Queen III, a 76-foot scalloping boat that set out from Norfolk, Va., had been at sea for four days when the skies darkened off the coast of the Rockaways.

A powerful storm system that had already lashed the East Coast, bringing tornadoes, thunder, lightning, high winds and heavy rains, was barreling down on them. Homes had been flattened, vehicles had been tossed like Tinkertoys and trees had been ripped from their roots. At least seven people had died. The crew knew they were in for nasty weather, but they were scallopers. Weather comes with the job.

As night fell on Feb. 24, the winds started to blow across New York City. At 8:45 p.m., a large section of a facade collapsed on Fordham Street in the Bronx. At 9:19, a tractor-trailer was blown over on the upper level of the George Washington Bridge. By midnight, there were reports of downed trees and power lines around the region.

Off the coast, winds were gusting up to 69 miles an hour, according to data collected by the National Weather Service.

The men on the Carolina Queen had a decision to make. One successful 11-day scalloping trip can pull in a profit of $500,000. Each fisherman can make $40,000 on a good voyage. The crew was open-sea fishing, about 30 miles off the coast, as the storm approached. The men decided to steer the vessel closer to shore — past a predetermined demarcation line that would stop the clock on their allotted 32-day yearly limit at sea.

The Carolina Queen had only 50 bags of scallops — 60 pounds per bag — on ice in the hold. With the scallop season drawing to a close, this trip was the crew’s last chance for a major haul. When the skies cleared, they expected, they would get back to business.

But shortly after 2 a.m. on Feb. 25, the vessel, battered by wind and waves, ran aground. Soon, one of its generators failed and the Carolina Queen issued a desperate mayday, setting in motion a harrowing rescue operation.

In the next few hours, a Coast Guard boat capsized and Fire Department vessels were unable to reach the stranded scallop boat because of the weather. Ultimately, the Coast Guard decided to undertake a daring airlift operation by a crew dispatched from Atlantic City.

NY Times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The crew was open-sea fishing, about 30 miles off the coast, as the storm approached. The men decided to steer the vessel closer to shore .
    There is the error. Stay blue. Shallower water, bigger waves. Seaward more room to manouver and more options. Plus that bit of coast is notorious for shifting sandbanks, has been a graveyard for centuries.

fergal.b wrote: »
    They were bought up by China's "Wanda" group but still brattish of course :)

Just like land rover, jaguar & harrods

First night out sailing tonight in over 18 months :)

Twas just lovely, really enjoyed it.

Beautiful night for it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Heading out for what will probably be my last sail in the Middle East tomorrow. :(

The club's regatta is on and as I am leaving in the summer, I can't see myself getting back out between now and time I leave.

So if anyone is looking for crew over the summer.... :pac:

Anyone else ISORA'ing today?

What an absolutely gorgeous day for the first race of the season :)

First race with a fairly new crew last night and we crossed the line first and won in our class :)

Was a lovely nights sailing, boosted for me by the experience I've gotten in the past, it's like cycling as they say :)

Went shopping today, I've torn the tendons in my index finger so can't wear normal gloves, bought bigger gloves, a pair of sunglasses, and a lifejacket in marine parts.

They've a decent sale at the minute if anyone is interested.

Also hoping to be applying to be a member in Howth in the next week, god knows I've benefitted plenty from the facilities there since I started this thread!

To update on this, I was down there today to get a new bag as my olds cheapie one collapsed, and a pair of casual trousers.

Price wise they are 30-60 percent off retail and at the moment if you buy stuff there you get a 20percent off voucher for your next visit.

I got said bag and trousers so was happy.

On another topic, the zip on my waterproof jacket appears to have died.

Anyone recommend a place for repair or would any dressmaking/tailors do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I got a jacket and trousers there recently, can vouch for the good value.

What make jacket?

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    I got a jacket and trousers there recently, can vouch for the good value.

What make jacket?

Musto br1 have to admit it's not broken, rather I forgot it's double zipped so all fine :)

Advertisement