Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dinghy supplies in Sutton are having a big sale as they are closing down for refurbishment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

neris wrote: »
    Dinghy supplies in Sutton are having a big sale as they are closing down for refurbishment
    Oh???

Do they do lifejackets? I'm going to have to invest in a new one soon, could be very good timing!

ETA - solved that one for myself by ringing them - they've none left :mad: Oh well.

Might take a spin out in the next day or two all the same and see if there's any bargains to be had.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for that, need some new bottoms myself.

Glad to hear it's only a refurbishment, have a lot of time for Pat. :)

Steve wrote: »
    have a lot of time for Pat. :)

Just saw on the hyc website now that Olivia his wife died today. Dont think she,d been well for a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just saw on the hyc website now that Olivia his wife died today. Dont think she,d been well for a while.
    Ah no, that's so sad. I didn't know her but met her once or twice in HYC. Lovely lady.

• Advertisement

Anyone else following the Fastnet? 11 boats Irish-owned/interest, with a few other ISORA regulars.

The tracker makes for great viewing, and a lesson in the power of the tide...... practically the entire fleet parked up off Portland Bill last night, with more than a few doing loop-the-loops, and the half of the fleet that didn't make the next tidal gate now parked up off Start Point/Salcombe.

I don't envy them!

http://yb.tl/fastnet2015

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone else following the Fastnet? 11 boats Irish-owned/interest, with a few other ISORA regulars.

The tracker makes for great viewing, and a lesson in the power of the tide...... practically the entire fleet parked up off Portland Bill last night, with more than a few doing loop-the-loops, and the half of the fleet that didn't make the next tidal gate now parked up off Start Point/Salcombe.

I don't envy them!

http://yb.tl/fastnet2015

Yeah, it hasn't been the plainest of sailing for all involved.

Quick update from wakey wakey based out of poolbeg:

"Yes that was some start. We were doing OK but then a ship came through and we had to motor out of the way. So we then had to sail back to where we were before the ship came and continue. About 25 mins lost which is so hard to catch up. Wakey Wakey late again - familiar feel to that one.
    So we took the northern route as the southern one would be just a game of catch up. We had very little breeze and about 11pm we had to drop the anchor as we were going backwards in the tide. The anchor got caught around the keel and it took over an hour to free it. So we kept going backwards until we got it cleared.
    Then the code 0 got messed up and that took 2 hours to fix so we lost more time there and all this in the pitch dark. I thought the Portland Bill would never stop flashing at us...
    So we are playing the usual Wakey Wakey game of catch up but that's our favourite game anyway.
    More when we get some coverage later. The weather is beautiful and conditions are super and it is a long race so anything can happen."

God love them. :P

:o

Jaysus, going to be a long week for them if their luck (and the tide) doesn't turn!
    Yeah, it hasn't been the plainest of sailing for all involved.

Quick update from wakey wakey based out of poolbeg:

"Yes that was some start. We were doing OK but then a ship came through and we had to motor out of the way. So we then had to sail back to where we were before the ship came and continue. About 25 mins lost which is so hard to catch up. Wakey Wakey late again - familiar feel to that one.
    So we took the northern route as the southern one would be just a game of catch up. We had very little breeze and about 11pm we had to drop the anchor as we were going backwards in the tide. The anchor got caught around the keel and it took over an hour to free it. So we kept going backwards until we got it cleared.
    Then the code 0 got messed up and that took 2 hours to fix so we lost more time there and all this in the pitch dark. I thought the Portland Bill would never stop flashing at us...
    So we are playing the usual Wakey Wakey game of catch up but that's our favourite game anyway.
    More when we get some coverage later. The weather is beautiful and conditions are super and it is a long race so anything can happen."

God love them. :P

Is that the J109 from down there?

Saw there was a boat called Lucky that wasnt having much luck hitting the rocks and the race barely started.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Pete_Fella

Is that the J109 from down there?

Saw there was a boat called Lucky that wasnt having much luck hitting the rocks and the race barely started.

yeah that's the one, they have recovered quite well and are up to 29th overall at 14th in class.

• Advertisement

some nice aerial footage of the one design racing in Howth last night

(credit at the end of video)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Hi guys.....I haven't posted here too often but just have a quick question, does anyone know an Irish stockist of winter cover poles? You know the telescopic poles that hold up a winter cover from to inside to let rain water run off?

I was being fierce clever the other day and was poking some sticks and stuff away from the prop when half the pole fell in the river!

I rang Marine Parts Direct but they don't stock any. Thanks.

Also, does anyone do Bimini Covers that aren't stupid money? I have a Sea Ray Sundancer 240.....thanks for your help. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi guys.....I haven't posted here too often but just have a quick question, does anyone know an Irish stockist of winter cover poles? You know the telescopic poles that hold up a winter cover from to inside to let rain water run off?

I was being fierce clever the other day and was poking some sticks and stuff away from the prop when half the pole fell in the river!

I rang Marine Parts Direct but they don't stock any. Thanks.

Also, does anyone do Bimini Covers that aren't stupid money? I have a Sea Ray Sundancer 240.....thanks for your help. :)

Marine Parts do Bimini tops from around €160 I was enquiring about them the other day for my boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I see the Gorch Fock is in the Bay and Mari Cha III is beating down the East Coast having spent the night off Hawk Cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That is one incredible boat. :eek:

She's for sale, yours for about €8 mill.:)

A post race round of drinks at the bar for the crew would be expensive though, if you look at this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

She's for sale, yours for about €8 mill.:)

I'll have to hurry up and get my Competent Crew course out of the way first.
    A post race round of drinks at the bar for the crew would be expensive though, if you look at this

I think if you are paying 8 million for a boat, buying a round of drinks for the crew wouldn't really be an issue. :)

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'll have to hurry up and get my Competent Crew course out of the way first.

wont need if your buying the boat, you,ll be paying a full time skipper and crew and jetting in and out for an event.

I prefer Mari Cha 4 myself, more racing and extreme but cruising convertible supose id have to take mari cha 3 if i was offered, beggars, choosers and all that

Id suggest a book called "Mines bigger" by David Aklan if you want some insight into how the mega wealthy go about getting boats this size designed and built etc. Some of these boats are classed as small ships in America and need crew with relevant shipping qualifications, security, safety etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

I always wondered, do these big boats have to run an engine all the time to generate electricity, (warm)water, etc, even when sailing, or how that works?

ahun wrote: »
    I always wondered, do these big boats have to run an engine all the time to generate electricity, (warm)water, etc, even when sailing, or how that works?

Yes especially if they have powered winches and canting keels

• Advertisement

Looking at that Bond /Spectre beer advert Fergal posted - it is filmed on Lake Como.

Some eye candy for Fergal tied up at the opulent Hotel Villa d’Este on that lake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Looking at that Bond /Spectre beer advert Fergal posted - it is filmed on Lake Como.

Some eye candy for Fergal tied up at the opulent Hotel Villa d’Este on that lake.

Wooden boats just look right in a setting like that :) Skerries harbour would be a close second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

Question - is powerboat.ie still active as forum? I signed up last year while looking to purchase a small cruiser. When I tried to login agina this summer, the forum didn't recognise me or my username. And when I tried to set up a new account, my application to join never got a response. Just wondering.

Also, the good news is that I bought a 2004 Shetland F4 at the end of May in England. In immaculate condition. I've put a new Yamaha 40hp on it. Keeping it around the lower Shannon / Lough Derg, and taking it out of the water this weekend.

What are the good online communities to join?

Question - is powerboat.ie still active as forum? I signed up last year while looking to purchase a small cruiser. When I tried to login agina this summer, the forum didn't recognise me or my username. And when I tried to set up a new account, my application to join never got a response. Just wondering.

Also, the good news is that I bought a 2004 Shetland F4 at the end of May in England. In immaculate condition. I've put a new Yamaha 40hp on it. Keeping it around the lower Shannon / Lough Derg, and taking it out of the water this weekend.

What are the good online communities to join?

Hi Blackwarrior Powerboat.ie is still up and running but these day's it mostly me talking to myself :D A lot of the guy's from powerboat.ie became good friends so we tend to use Facebook more for arranging meet up's and this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/133673356708207/ Feel free to join in if you want to meet up for a run, a few of the members are also on here so at the moment Boards.ie sailing & Boating is the best place to be if you want to know anything about having fun on the water in Ireland :)

P.s If you want me to look into your account on powerboat.ie I will ;)

one reason you never want to the ome leaning against the boom going downwind

https://www.facebook.com/sailingaddicts/videos/1124674840895423/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Helm/Crew don't seem to be that pushed about a man overboard...

The helm on that boat was asleep, the main was on the point of gybing from inception. I've seen it happen in Dublin Bay, but the crewman caught the shrouds (but still ended in the water due to a chinese gybe). Moral? carry a snapshackle strop that can be used for peeling the spinnaker or tying down the boom.;)

ive seen it nearly happen where boats running by the lee into a mark and someones on the boom but as the gybe is nearly about to happen they actually go to crouch down to go under the boom. id rather be in the water then lying unconcious on the deck

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭blackwarrior

fergal.b wrote: »
    Hi Blackwarrior Powerboat.ie is still up and running but these day's it mostly me talking to myself :D A lot of the guy's from powerboat.ie became good friends so we tend to use Facebook more for arranging meet up's and this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/133673356708207/ Feel free to join in if you want to meet up for a run, a few of the members are also on here so at the moment Boards.ie sailing & Boating is the best place to be if you want to know anything about having fun on the water in Ireland :)

P.s If you want me to look into your account on powerboat.ie I will ;)

Thanks Fergal. I'll send a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 PanAC

Reading through some of the amazing restoration projects here, I'm not quite sure if this is a good place to get some basic enlightenment about small/old boat maintenance!

I have a small gaffer in Dunlaoghaire that needs lots of TLC. Is there anywhere (maybe a shed/container) where I can access a work-bench and a few tools? I have no access to a garage, garden shed, spare room etc. I'm looking for anywhere I can learn to repair/make a few boat things like wooden blocks or some small wooden bits, Something like a Man-Shed? I'm trying to avoid "Yacht" type prices. Are there any places near Dublin that might run "Boat Building" or repair courses?

Any advice would be great.

Advertisement