Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Steve wrote: »
    Cat 2 requirements:

Right so.... I'll shut up now :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I read the last few replies and then worked out when I last did an ISORA and felt really OLD!
    (Excuse – I did live abroad for a long time and did not take up offshores when I returned.)

The only thing I would add is for the long races e.g. Morecombe Bay or Todd Trophy (1) get as much sleep as possible before the event; (2) get as much sleep as possible early in the race – if off-watch go below and kip. (3) Fold your spinnaker as soon as it is dropped. We once won an ISORA because of a windshift between Lambay and Howth at 04.00 – we had our spinny ready, others did not!

Several of my strongest Irish sailing memories are from ISORAS – the rescue of a lady competitor who lost a kneecap in Bardsey Sound; the look on the faces of our sister ship when we flew the kite (above); a race from Howth to Holyhead was another; waking to a Mozart horn concerto on the radio, drifting towards the Kish at dawn– just O’B K and myself on Brainstorm, (the only time I sailed on her); an outlandishly alcoholic prizegiving in the Royal Marine (?) when a co-owner ‘collected’ bottles of wine from other tables and stored them under ours…….
    Enjoy!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks to you both, and sorry for the stupid questions, but you've answered loads of what I was wondering.

I contacted Peter in ISORA thinking he'd ask me to do e.g. a sea survival course and that it would likely be next year before I'd get near an ISORA.

No, I was wrong, and may get a chance to try one this year :eek:

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks to you both, and sorry for the stupid questions, but you've answered loads of what I was wondering.

I contacted Peter in ISORA thinking he'd ask me to do e.g. a sea survival course and that it would likely be next year before I'd get near an ISORA.

No, I was wrong, and may get a chance to try one this year :eek:
    You'll be out on one before you know it! There's a bit of a pause after the RI but there's loads left and boats are always after crew, especially during the holiday season.

And if you do one (or more) you might get invited to the ISORA dinner in December which is the BEST night out in the sailing calendar, bar none :D (just ask Pedro!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Strange we remember the nights, never the hangovers!! I'll have to dig out a photo or twwo.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You'll be out on one before you know it! There's a bit of a pause after the RI but there's loads left and boats are always after willing slaves who do what they are told, but know little :D , especially during the holiday season.

My edit is probably a better description of me :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Right so.... I'll shut up now :eek:

In fairness, they nothing about having to have a light... I would have thought that was a bit important...

I've just done the sea survival and that came up.... it's bizarre alright!

Eta.... oh, where's Steve's post gone??? !

I've just done the sea survival and that came up.... it's bizarre alright!

Eta.... oh, where's Steve's post gone??? !

Thank God, I thought I was actually going mad, as opposed to clearly suffering some mental malfunction that has led me to even considering ISORAs :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sorry H, I deleted my post as I thought I was mistaken.. I have restored the timeline..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

64 boats entered for the Round Ireland, who's going to watch it on Saturday?

I'll wave at you from the boat!

:D

I'll wave at you from the boat!

:D

When's the off? Apparently ye are forecast for a constant beat from tuskar to malin?

When's the off? Apparently ye are forecast for a constant beat from tuskar to malin?

Hang on, I'll turn around and you can twist the knife more... oooh that's it. mmm..

lol.

Yeah it's looking like a slog towards tuskar but hopefully a southwesterly for the west coast leg with 5m swells so exciting!

Start is 13:00 Saturday.

From Wicla?

From Wicla?

No, they've changed it to inistraull for the craic.....

Yeah, it's from wicla :D:D

No, they've changed it to inistraull for the craic.....

Yeah, it's from wicla :D:D

Might head down if there is somewhere to watch or do ye start a few miles offshore?

Start is just off the pier, so should make for good spectating.

Give us a wave!

Start is just off the pier, so should make for good spectating.

Give us a wave!

Oooh that should be mega so :)

If we make it down, I'll wave like a loon :)

It was boat for hope day today in Howth, mad craic altogether, whatever about the kids that were out with their families, grown adults with buckets of water and hoses going mad :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It was boat for hope day today in Howth, mad craic altogether, whatever about the kids that were out with their families, grown adults with buckets of water and hoses going mad :)

Couldn't make it this year but it sure is great fun :)

DSC00537.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    Couldn't make it this year but it sure is great fun :)

DSC00537.jpg

Appareny it was very good and very wet.

neris wrote: »
    Appareny it was very good and very wet.

Very very wet, my gear is now drying out in the bath :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Im sure it wasn't just the weather that got people wet the water balloons and pistols may have helped.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Im sure it wasn't just the weather that got people wet the water balloons and pistols may have helped.

And the hoses and giant buckets of water being hurled from the pirate ship :)

We were madly shooting the kids manning the ribs until we copped they had treasure to give us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone doing this weekends ISORA?

Anyone doing this weekends ISORA?

Not me anyhow, I'm doing the regatta.

Did you get a spot?

I did! Just awaiting confirmation :)

Looks like it will be a windy one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Stheno

Best of luck, its going to exciting, 42 miles around Rockabill and Kish. Nice early start too, looks like its part of the RstGYC regatta, so you will be back in the Club House to collect your prize?

What boat are you on?

Have a great one.

Advertisement