Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tobsey wrote: »
    He was 4th in scoring for the week before those two bogeys on the back 9. The slip down the rankings since the restart really hurt him and probably left him with too much to do.

He hit the fairway on the 18th, looking at the line I’d guess it was driver that landed in rough and jumped out to fairway but might have been the 3-wood

The top 4 players in the world were in contention at the end of season championship, three kicked on, one stayed static. He needs a big round tomorrow to stay with the other 3, but as the commentators just said, this one looks as if it has passed him by.

DJ isn’t immune to having a final day blow up, so it ain’t over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Maybe playing on a Monday will improve things for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Dav010 wrote: »
    The top 4 players in the world were in contention at the end of season championship, three kicked on, one stayed static. He needs a big round tomorrow to stay with the other 3, but as the commentators just said, this one looks as if it has passed him by.

DJ isn’t immune to having a final day blow up, so it ain’t over yet.

It’s over for Rory alright unfortunately. I was just trying to give some perspective. He’s level for the week with Rahm, two behind Thomas and 3 behind Johnson, maybe 4 if he makes this putt on the last. However it is very disappointing that he didn’t push on after the great first round. He’s had a very different week to the other 3 so I’m hoping his form picks back up for the majors coming up. He’s shown flashes of it over the past couple of weeks but hasn’t been close to putting 4 rounds together

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

tobsey wrote:
    It’s over for Rory alright unfortunately. I was just trying to give some perspective. He’s level for the week with Rahm, two behind Thomas and 3 behind Johnson, maybe 4 if he makes this putt on the last. However it is very disappointing that he didn’t push on after the great first round. He’s had a very different week to the other 3 so I’m hoping his form picks back up for the majors coming up. He’s shown flashes of it over the past couple of weeks but hasn’t been close to putting 4 rounds together

He will be collecting around a million dollars this evening and then going to meet his new daughter.

I'd call that a pretty decent work/life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

First Up wrote: »
    He will be collecting around a million dollars this evening and then going to meet his new daughter.

I'd call that a pretty decent work/life balance.

Because of the money???

I dont think he needs a million "reasons" to leave his newborn though!
    Although maybe he is focused on the money. Fair enough if so.

With the talent he has he should be wining more and particularly more majors. Based on the last 6 years i dont think he has the mental fortitude to overcome his rivals and win another major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Because of the money???

I dont think he needs a million "reasons" to leave his newborn though!
    Although maybe he is focused on the money. Fair enough if so.

With the talent he has he should be wining more and particularly more majors. Based on the last 6 years i dont think he has the mental fortitude to overcome his rivals and win another major.

That's an original take

What u mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

OEP wrote: »
    That's an original take

Lol

Funny how?

Funny how?

In the context of this threads history , it’s kind of funny . Go back and read the last few months of the thread . Your “take” has been done to death around here

• Advertisement

I honestly didnt know that. I thought most were all about how great he is.

& then i thought you were having a crack over the money thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

I think he putts much better with that Spider mallet

This thread is very quiet for the day of a major. So, 9 years on from winning the USOpen, will he do it again? Though I hope he does win, watching the build up last night the commentators on sky said, precision more than power will be the most important requirement.

This thread is very quiet for the day of a major. So, 9 years on from winning the USOpen, will he do it again? Though I hope he does win, watching the build up last night the commentators on sky said, precision more than power will be the most important requirement.

I'd love him to win but he doesn't have the best form coming in, and also doesn't have a great track record on courses like this.

OEP wrote: »
    I'd love him to win but he doesn't have the best form coming in, and also doesn't have a great track record on courses like this.

Watched his interview last night, he said he had not played nor seen the course before this week, but he “likes it”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Heart has given up saying yes, head always says no, his record in Majors over the last years is brutal, he never looks like winning a Major anymore.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

His first rounds in majors have been really poor over the last few years but if he gets off to a good start then who knows but his game is nowhere near winning a major at the moment.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

He'll be there or there abouts. Form was OK at the Tour Championship. Certainly not firing on all cylinders though. If can just hang around and has a little bit of luck then he has a good chance.

What'll probably happen, he'll be 2 ahead on Saturday night, early Sunday morning he'll have to withdraw due to a positive COVID test. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Augme

There is more chance of him missing the cut than winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

First round is crucial. I think I saw it on Twitter that both he and Thomas need to improve their first round scores. Over the last 4 years they're over par for the first round in majors, but well under par for the last 3. Level par today and he's right in it. Best round today might be 68, so +3 today or better and you're right in the torunament I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

You wouldn't pick him as a winner, even with his ability.
    In the past this course has thrown up unexpected winners.
    I prefer Rory's chances in the Masters.

Augme wrote: »
    There is more chance of him missing the cut than winning it.

That is the same for everyone if you look at the odds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Looking very tidy on the front 9 - 3 under.

Getting out early Thursday probably suits him . Tends to go to pot in majors when he sees a big number posted early and feels he needs to go chasing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dreadful bogey on 10, 120 yards out from the fairway..

tobsey wrote: »
    First round is crucial. I think I saw it on Twitter that both he and Thomas need to improve their first round scores. Over the last 4 years they're over par for the first round in majors, but well under par for the last 3. Level par today and he's right in it. Best round today might be 68, so +3 today or better and you're right in the torunament I think.

They must have seen that tweet too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

That's frustrating - amazing tee shot onto the green in 1, then a 3 putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Could have been better, but he will take a 67 around Winged Foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Could have been better, but he will take a 67 around Winged Foot.

I think 99% of rounds of golf played by anyone will be described as "Could have been better" or "left a few out there". It's the nature of the game. He'll be happy with a 67. 3 more rounds of 70 and he'd be in serious contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

neddynasty wrote: »
    I think 99% of rounds of golf played by anyone will be described as "Could have been better" or "left a few out there". It's the nature of the game. He'll be happy with a 67. 3 more rounds of 70 and he'd be in serious contention.

My best round ever could have been 5 shots better. We are never happy as golfers.

Today is the key day for him now after a good first round. A nice steady 69/70 would see him near the top of the leader board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement